Friday, February 29, 2008

Orange Spice Cake


I made Kelli's delicious Orange Spice Loaf today for dessert. I bought the flower shaped pan at a local housewares store recently, so I decided to use it for the first time instead of a loaf pan as Kelli did when she made the recipe. I think it came out great! I just dusted the cake with confectioners sugar this time, but next time I make it I might try to do a colored icing and emphasize the flower design.

I used Kelli's recipe as seen on her beautiful Seasonal Delights Magazine web page, but I added the zest from 2 oranges and some chopped pecans to the batter at the last step. The cake had a nice sweet citrus flavor, and had a pound cake consistency... just perfect to accompany a cup of tea!

The china in my picture is some of my few cherished pieces of Irish Belleek China. I bought the teapot when I was on a vacation in Ireland two years ago. Now that the dollar to Euro exchange is so bad, I'm glad I bought it then!

I can't believe tomorrow will be March 1! This year there will be St Patrick's Day decorations alongside Easter decorations. Thankfully it means Spring will finally be here soon!

7 comments:

Tara said...

That cake looks scrumptious!! And even better on Bellek--you are so set for spring, my dear! Enjoy weekend!

Kelli said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe! I love your idea of adding orange spice and pecans (YUM!) and your cake pan is beautiful. I also think your table and tea set are lovely. I have my eye on a couple of shamrock tea cups on ebay. :0) Have a wonderful weekend!
~Kelli

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Oh that looks so yummy! I love the cake design too!
Penny

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Pat! Can I stop over for some of that great looking orange spice loaf? I can almost smell it baking! My husband is part Irish so I'll have to visit Kelli and get her recipe. Thanks for visiting my blog! Hope you visit me often in the future!! Sherry

Gina said...

Looks delicious ~ wonderful cake pan too! Thanks for your lovely commnets on my blog. :O)

Kathleen Grace said...

Oooh that cake looks scrumptious and the Beleek is so pretty!

Louise said...

I love the cake and your Belleek china is gorgeous. You sure know how to throw a tea party! x