Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Surprise From Across The Pond!

As all bloggers do, I sometimes wander from blog to blog through a link on a sidebar or a name link in a comment box, and last week I visited Melanie's JellyBeanAngel's blog for the first time. I enjoyed looking at her beautiful handcrafted quilt and scarf , and told her so in a comment.
Later in the day she e-mailed me that she was having an unannounced first year blogaversary, and that I won a prize for being the third person to comment on her blog that day, and that she would be sending a parcel to me! What a surprise!

The parcel arrived yesterday, and after I admired her beautiful penmanship and the wonderful stamps on the envelope -- I love to collect unusual stamps -- I opened the envelope to find a postcard from Melanie which was a photo of her beautiful hometown in Southport, England, and a lovely large cotton tea towel of scenes from her town, a box of assorted toffees and fudge, and two absolutely gorgeous sachets filled with some of the most aromatic lavender I have ever smelled. Melanie told me she made the sachets out of antique silk and filled it with lavender she grew in her garden!

She called her give away "A Taste of Southport, England," and I am so very touched and grateful to have been it's recipient!

Thank you so much Melanie! Your kindness and generosity are exceptional! I am thrilled to have a new friend from "across the pond," and I will always think of you when I use the towel and smell the delicious lavender and feel the softness of those beautiful sachets.

“The fact that I can plant a seed and it becomes a flower, share a bit of knowledge and it becomes another's, smile at someone and receive a smile in return, are to me continual spiritual exercises.” ~ Leo F. Buscaglia

27 comments:

Strider said...

Very nice. I also like the music you chose for today. Very soothing. Thanks.

Mrs. B said...

Hi Pat! What a fabulous surprise! And what luck to just happen upon a secret giveaway like that. Sorry I haven't been around much the last couple of days, this is just such a busy time right now.

nanatrish said...

What a thoughtful gift! I must visit her to see her blog. Don't you just love lavender? It has such a romantic scent. I wish I could jet on up to NYC and you and I could go visit her and grab a cup of tea.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat!
Congrats on the win :) You are the second blogger I know who received her beautiful gift. She's one my all time fav blogger and she makes the most beautiful quilts too.

Lavender from the garden? I can only dream.

Happy weekend to you !! Isn't blogging sooooo exciting. When you give , you receive a lot more :D

hugs

Tara said...

Hi Pat

Nice for you! Isn't it great all the people we have met? Kindred souls around the world!

:0)
Tara
PS--did my 6 very unimportant things!!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

What a lovely surprise...and you've made another new bloggy friend to boot!

Jillian

Betsy Brock said...

What a special surprise treat!

Anonymous said...

What a terrific gift! That was such a great idea, too, "A taste of------". Just might inspire a bunch of us bloggers to do something similiar ;-). Oh, I appreciate your info about the price of blueberries at Costco. I had just gone to Sams and bought 18oz for about $6, then promptly calculated that would cost about $10 for the pie. Heck, the Costco price beats that all to pieces! Luckily, living right smack dab in the Kansas City/ Independence, MO area, we have both stores very nearby----so it will be a Costco run for me REAL soon!

Just A Girl said...

What a sweet thoughtful person. I love the English, don't you?

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to get something special to make your day.

steviewren said...

Mail, I love to get mail! How fun for you and how nice of Melanie to send you such an unexpectedly nice gift. I adore English tea towels. I have a collection of them myself.

Lavinia said...

You know, Pat, you are very fortunate. Just reading this post,and marvelling at the kindness and generosity of my fellow bloggers, has made my day. This post gave me the warm and fuzzies. She really did put together a beautiful parcel for you. Enjoy!

Barb said...

Hi Pat,

What a lovely gift you received. How sweet was that? You were blessed!

Thank you for your comment on my post yesterday. Quite a few names have been added to the list. Thank you, thank you.

hugs,
Barb

Vee said...

What a wonderful surprise and a great blessing! Nothing like Blogdom, is there?!

Nihal said...

Oh, what an excellent gift set for someone wonderful like you Pat! Don't you think that everyday is a gift?
N' Joy your goodies.

Hugs.

Nihal said...

Oh, what an excellent gift set for someone wonderful like you Pat! Don't you think that everyday is a gift?
N' Joy your goodies.

Hugs.

MJ Ornaments said...

What a wonderful gift Pat! Hope you're doing well. Take care, Martha

Dorothy said...

Oh Pat...what a beautiful new friendship has occured...the lavender sachets must be lovely and to think the lavender came from her English garden...I love the quote by Buscaglia

Kathy said...

Hi Pat, One of my best friends here in SF is originally from Southport, she is going back next week for a visit. The nicest people come from Southport, like your new friend Melanie, what a lovely thoughful gift and surprise for you, enjoy, Kathy (hugs).

Tess Kincaid said...

How fun! :)

Marg said...

What a perfect way to start your day.
It's unique how sometimes you tap into a blog and it becomes a diamond.

I'm still laughing about the day that I thought you were the wife and it was your daughter. That's quite a complement eh?

katylinvw said...

what fun! i love the surprise giveaway idea!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Thanks so much, Pat, for the information. How nice of you to take the time to do that for us.

Have a great week!

Jillian

Proud Italian Cook said...

Not only a thoughtful gift, but now a new friend!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

What a wonderful surprise. I love the blogging community we have. People are so sweet.

Rue said...

Hi Pat :)

Isn't it wonderful to get surprises?! A wonderful one at that :)

hugs,
rue

PS. I'm ignoring the oh-so-delicious looking dessert below..... I hate diets! LOL

Gina said...

Oh congrats Pat! What a wonderful surprise :) I will have to go and check out Melanie's blog right now!
Gx