Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pink Under the Bridges


I haven't participated in Beverly's Pink Saturday for a few weeks, so I looked through my photo files for a few New York City "pinks" I haven't shown as yet. This scene from a day I spent walking through the new Brooklyn Bridge Park (see that post here) jumped out at me, because directly under the Brooklyn Bridge stand the post Civil War era Tobacco Warehouses whose bricks have aged with time to have a pretty pink hue.



Information for the Brooklyn Bridge Park web site: "The Tobacco Warehouse, originally built by the Lorillard family, sits on the upland of Empire-Fulton Ferry Park, just north of the Brooklyn Bridge, and just south of the Empire Stores. Together, these landmark 19th century warehouses are vivid reminders of the shipping activity that once defined the downtown Brooklyn waterfront."


"Constructed in the 1870s as a tobacco customs inspection center, and saved from demolition in 1998, the roofless rooms of the Tobacco Warehouse provide one of the most compelling public spaces in Brooklyn Bridge Park."



A close up of one of the beautiful patina on the metal shutters over some of the windows.  The open roofed warehouse building is sometimes rented out for private affairs in the summer......


...and sometimes even the streets of the DUMBO neighborhood of Brooklyn become venues for parties!



Another pink hued building in the area is the Eagle Warehouse. Completed in 1894, it had a number of uses before being converted into apartments in 1980. The site on which the Eagle Warehouse is located formerly belonged to the Brooklyn Eagle, a well-known local newspaper. From 1846 to 1848, the paper's editor was Walt Whitman. In the late 19th century the Brooklyn Eagle moved its offices to a different location. The site was subsequently purchased by the Eagle Warehouse & Storage Company, whose name was probably derived from that of the Brooklyn Eagle. Prominent Brooklyn architect Frank Freeman was commissioned to build a new fireproof warehouse on the site.


The Eagle Warehouse & Storage Company used the warehouse primarily to store furniture and silverware, the latter kept in giant fireproof vaults in the basement. The building was subsequently used for a variety of purposes. In 1977, it was designated a landmark structure by New York's Landmarks Preservation Commission.


The acronym DUMBO comes from the words "Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass." and, as you can see in the photo above, this area is full of other vintage faded red brick buildings that are now renovated into expensive apartments and condominiums.


One of the pretty archways under the Manhattan Bridge in the DUMBO neighborhood.



If you look closely you can see that the letters in this sign that was  in front of a bakery in the neighborhood are all rimmed in pink.  I think this is a good philosophy any day of the year, but it is especially nice in honor of Pink Saturday, don't you agree?



I'm also adding this post to:


Many thanks to all the blog hosts!


Bookmark and Share



Pin It

55 comments:

John M said...

Fascinating photos!
Next time I'm visiting my daughter in Brooklyn I'll ask her to take me to see some of these parks.
I'll put a link to this post on my blog.

Sheila said...

These brick buildings have really aged beautifully and I think the photo of the Manhattan Bridge between the brick building is especially interesting. I wondered why the neighbourhood was called DUMBO and now that's explained. Thanks Pat!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the beautiful blue shutter and the green gate. WAH, I thought Dumbo was the elephant!!!

Kathleen said...

Very interesting, Pat! And of course you know that Whitman's birthplace is very near where your dad worked. I took more field trips there then I care to remember! It is so small and the kids were expecting something great!

This week is St. Patricks at Bev 's. I am ready!

diane b said...

I love the way old commercial buildings are being renovated and turned into apartments. Tis happens here too. It keeps the old buildings and their history alive. You have some great examples in this post.

Anonymous said...

Always exciting to go on a tour with you!

My name is Riet said...

I love those old buildings annd their history, They age beautifully and I like these too because they are under the bridge. Wonderful
Have a nice weekend Pat.

Old Kitty said...

Beautiful!! Yay for NYC preserving these wonderful brick buildings! They're full of character and have withstood the test of time! And they are a pretty hue of pink too!

Wonderful!

I love the bakery signage! Take care
x

Paula's Postings said...

What fantastic photo's and buildings it always pays to look more closely at what is around you.

Lynn said...

Cool shots and I'm all about that last sign:@)

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

For some reason faded red brick just grabs me. Perhaps because I grew up in a red brick house. Happy pink Saturday Pat.
Sam

Tracy said...

WONDERFUL to see all this, Pat... love all that weathered old brick...yum... ;o) Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

La Petite Gallery said...

I love all these stories. New york has so much history, tourists never know. This was a wonderful post Pat. Thank tou so much.
yvonne

Betsy Brock said...

Oh, my goodness! What a fun post. Love the stories and the gorgeous brick buildings!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What a great place. I love it when old buildings are repurposed. Some new meme's I need to check out also.

Vee said...

Wouldn't a party in the street be cool?! Ever attended one of those?

Mila said...

Thank you for the stories and wonderful buildings photos as for an Italian like me, so far from these places, your post is very interesting!
Hugs,
Mila :)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Woohoo!!! My motto too...eat dessert first!

What a great tour today, I sooo feel 'in the pink' after that!

God bless ya and have a fantastic weekend my friend!!! :o)

Yvette said...

Okay, if all the condos across from the Metropolitan Museum of Art are taken then I want to live in this area near the Brooklyn Bridge - when I win the lottery.

Can you imagine looking out your window every day and viewing this marvelous edifice?? I'm swooning.

Thanks for another amazing post, Pat. You're a wonder.

Sarah said...

Pat, these are great shots. It's nice that these structures are still there to be enjoyed. I'm definitely in favor of the sign motto. ;-)

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

What stunning photos...I would love to see that park and all those marvelous old buildings! I love the patina of old bricks....
I always learn so much from your posts!
HPS!
♥ Jil

RobinfromCA said...

What beautiful buildings and the photos with the iconic Brooklyn Bridge in them are just stunning.

Now, I need to go eat dessert before I do anything else!
Robin

Unknown said...

Pat, your captured these places beautifully w/a spot of history. My ancestors were petitioners to Peter Stuyvesant to form Brooklyn. TY for sharing ...

Have a lovely PS weekend ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

~Giveaway ends 3/15 ~

Judy said...

I'm smiling...since we are on vacation and eating dessert just whenever we please!

Interesting and informative tour once again...as always.

LV said...

Glad you shared some of the history and sights of the big city. I have never been there.

Mary said...

Hi Pat~ You never fail to amaze me with your knowledge and love of NY! I love the patina of old brick from the beautiful old buildings with with their arches and earthquake bolts!

Ola said...

interesting area with this kind of post-industrial architecture! I like the last quote:)


Life and travelling
Cooking

Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday from Scotland
I visited New York once, for a long weekend all the way from Scotland and it was incredible, memories that will last a lifetime.
Amazing images.
Wishes
Lynne

Jeanie said...

I love your pink buildings (and New York) but especially loved the history you included. Architectural is a favorite of mine, so is history! What fun!

Jeanie from The Marmelade Gypsy

Ann said...

My bucket list includes a trip to your beautiful city. I adore old buildings and you showcased them so nice. The last sign is really a good one.
Ann

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

A wonderful DUMBO tour, Pat! I love that last arch too. What beautiful buildings!

Cindy said...

This is a wonderful pink post! I love all of the old brick buildings.
Hugs, Cindy

poppilinnstudios said...

Great post! I love Brooklyn, I lived there before I got married. When I moved to NY from Chicago ,Brooklyn felt most like Chicago to me. It's a great place. Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by earlier! Yes, we're finally getting bits of spring in the Hudson Valley.
I'm sure your seeing it too, being south of us!
-Lynn

genie said...

The bridge is so impressive from this angle, but the old tobacco warehouses really caught my eye. They are such beautiful structures. Thank goodness they have not been destroyed. A wonderful series of shots. I know you must have great fun in New York with your camera....no end of fab things to shoot. genie

Julie said...

I smiled when you explained to us the meaning of the acronymn DUMBO. Very clever.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Loved seeing all the old brick buildings and hearing their stories. I'm so glad they are being preserved.
Stopping by from Sunlit Sunday.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Nice old brick buildings and I love the sign too.

Louis la Vache said...

Fantastic post!

«Louis» welcomes you to Sunday Bridges.

Zyzzyz said...

Lovely to see the glimpses of the bridge between the buildings.

eileeninmd said...

HI Pat, it is wonderful to see these old brick building are being renovated and put to good use. Great shots of the neighborhood and the bridge. Thanks for sharing, have a happy Sunday!

LindyLouMac said...

Hi Pat, calling by from Sunlit Sunday, as another participant today. A fascinating post architecture makes for interesting photography.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Its great to see historic places like this saved...as opposed to being converted to lofts.

Unknown said...

I am always amazed at your photo compositions. Such a great way for us to learn about your city. Thanks for sharing.
QMM

Linda said...

interesting bridges, love all the arches

steviewren said...

Interesting history about the DUMBO area. I love it when old buildings are repurposed and given new life.

Saucy Siciliana said...

I lived in New York (the Bronx) from 1962 to 1976. These pictures make me so nostalgic! I love your blog. I am following you immediately, so happy to see pictures of New York. Best regards from Rome.

Kentish Keg-Meg said...

Lovely to see those New York photos.

Joe Todd said...

Recently went to a clay mine in Ohio where they mine clay for bricks.. Great post

The Tablescaper said...

I love your posts. You inspire me to visit more of what is around me. Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

That cathedral and those grounds are gorgeous!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

was this a cooking class/show organised by Jamie Oliver? I watch on TV something like this.

Claudia said...

I'm counting the days until I can take my walks to see this up close and personal. Such a different NYC than the one I grew up in!

My Little Home and Garden said...

That was a great tour. Thanks for linking your pink, sunny post to Sunlit Sunday, Pat!
-Karen

Unknown said...

I believe that life should be savored but dessert enjoyed only on rare occasion and more often only if it is something like natural fruit or yogurt.

We eat way too much sugar.
Your photos are awesome.

Lorrie said...

I think that New York supplies endless opportunities for blogging material. You always come up with the most interesting photos. I really like all that vintage brick.