Tuesday, September 10, 2013

We Remember to Never Forget - Two 9-11 Memorials in Colorado --


Last summer, on a visit to Colorado before I moved here permanently, I accompanied my daughter on a business trip to Pueblo, Colorado. While she was with her clients, I wandered around the beautiful Riverwalk in the downtown area.  You can see more about the Riverwalk on this post, and about the Center for American Values, that is located there, on this post.

Right outside the Center of American Values, which honors the United States Medal of Honor recipients, was this breathtaking memorial to 9-11.


A steel beam from the actual World Trade Center ruins was balanced on top of two tower-like figures, pointed towards the direction of New York City.


A close up of the plaque that accompanies the memorial. 


My visit to Pueblo was right after the 2012, 9-11 anniversary, and I found it very touching to see how my soon to be new home state vowed: "We Remember to Never Forget'!


Even more so, I soon found there was to be another heartbreaking connection to 9-11 in my new state of Colorado.  When I visited the 9-11 Memorial in New York City, one last time before I moved, (you can see that post here) I took the time to photograph many of the names engraved around the memorial waterfalls, both people I or my husband knew that perished that fateful day, as well as others that became well known after the event.


One name I photographed was of the pilot of United Airlines Flight 93, Jason M Dahl.  Flight 93 crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania on 9-11, 2001, because of the heroic efforts of the passengers on board who fought the terrorists, to prevent further probable death and destruction in Washington, DC.


When I moved to my new neighborhood in the Littleton, Colorado area in January of this year, I passed this memorial not far from where I live.  It was a memorial to Pilot Jason M Dahl, who lived in my community until that fateful day!


Here is another photo I took of the memorial, this summer, on July 4th.


(Click on the photo to enlarge it, and then again when it opens to see an even larger view).

The Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund was set up by his wife, Sandy Dahl, after 9-11, to help worthy students of aviation. Sadly, Sandy Dahl passed away in her sleep on May 25, 2012, but the scholarship fund continues. In New York City I was surrounded by memorials and reminders of the 9-11 tragedy, but I did not expect to find such a connection here, over 1,800 miles away!  It made me realize more than ever that we are all connected in some way to the events of 9-11, whether they took place in our city or not. It was an attack on our entire nation and our way of life. We will have to remain vigilant, no matter where we live, to prevent something like this from ever happening again!

I took the following video of one of the 9-11 Memorial Waterfalls during my visit to the Memorial.  The two waterfalls lie in the footprints of the World Trade Center Tower One and Tower Two, a solemn reminder of where so many perished that day.  Water flows from all four sides into the center abyss.



Would you like to turn September 11 into a day of positive good deeds, charitable service, and inspiration?  I could not think of a better way to remember those lost than to do something good to help another in their memory.  Go to the 9/11 Day Observance web page and look where you can volunteer in your community on, or around, the 9-11 date. 



May "We Remember to Never Forget"!



If you would like to read all of my prior 10 posts about 9-11 please click on this link

Bookmark and Share

23 comments:

Claudia said...

It still brings tears. On our trips out west after 9/11, my husband and I came upon many memorials. We are bound together.

Pamela Gordon said...

What a touching memorial of that dreadful day. The world is a small place and we all remember that day in our hearts. Hugs, Pam

Vee said...

Thank you for a beautiful post. Such interesting connections in this world. It is dark, cold, and rainy today. I took a photo of vultures in a tree and thought that it matched my mood. Last year's anniversary has added to the tragic memories surrounding this date. For this reason, I really appreciated the shift to more positive things. I will check it out.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Very moving post Pat. Yes, we are all connected, as this shows. Thank you for helping to keep the memory alive of those who perished.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

A very moving post, Pat. When you came to the memorial for the pilot right there in your own community, it brought tears, because it's true, we are all so closely connected, more than we know.

Yvette said...

Connection indeed, Pat. Wow. What an incredible coincidence. Thanks for a very moving post. Wonderful photos too.

Sea Witch said...

Never forget, always remember. Tears for those heroes and your blog.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

It still brings tears to my eyes. All of those innocent people murdered. I hope tomorrow's anniversary will be safe.
Sam

eileeninmd said...

Pat, great post and a wonderful memorial. I know I will never forget 9/11/2001.

Lovella ♥ said...

Another year...and the memories are still painful. Those memorials are touching. Thank you for sharing.

Pondside said...

None of us will ever forget that terrible morning. I love the idea of turning to good deeds, helping, reaching out as a way of remembering those lost and the bravery of those who responded to the terrible scene.

Michelle said...

A great post and such touching memorials.

Lorrie said...

A beautiful post, Pat. Yes, it's important to never forget, and to help out in positive ways.

Lynn said...

A very sad day indeed.

Beverly said...

Even though we remember every day, the actual day brings the raw pain closer to the surface.

I was thinking this morning while I sipped my coffee of other days I will never forget. While the tragic days are always in our hearts, so are days of joy.

Thank you, Pat.

ellen b. said...

Thank you for your wonderful remembrance post and for the good challenge for good and not evil. Blessings...

AdriBarr said...

Thank you for a truly moving article. Sad though ti is, I was glad to see all the tributes. It seems almost like it was yesterday. So sad. So very sad.

podso said...

Thank you for a wonderful post. I know this affected you even more than some of us as it impacted your city and your life.

Barbara said...

These are extremely touching posts you have written over the years. Thank you for helping us to remember what must not be forgotten. It is clear that only by our Lord's grace have you been able to survive this tragedy from such a close perspective.

Willow said...

Beautiful post, Pat. Truly, we will never forget. We will remember and honor those who died as heroes.

najamonline4u said...

very nice Specialty Memorials. the pictures are awesome

Kat Mortensen said...

That is such a stunning memorial, with the steel beam. It must have been awful for you to lose people you knew to this devastating tragedy.

Everything comes full circle, and you have been witness to this in your discovery.

I posted a poem yesterday that I wrote a few years ago to commemorate the date.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Praying for those who saw the towers fall and said "oh my God, oh my God", praying that these words are spoken with reverence to our God now and in a plea for His protection for our country.

Also praying for Colorado flooding right now Pat. Keep people wise and safe dear Lord!