Colorado is home to black bears. Black bears are the largest carnivores in Colorado and sport a variety of coat colors; although they are called black bears, they can be honey-colored, blond, brown, cinnamon, or black.
Adult males weigh around 275 pounds. Females weigh about 175 pounds. Depending on the season, food supply, and gender, black bears may weigh anywhere from 100 to 450 pounds. Black bears measure about 3 feet high when on all four feet. They can be 5 feet tall when standing on their back legs.
.
In late summer and fall, black bears enter hyperphagia, a natural phase when they can spend up to 20 hours a day searching for food as they build the fat reserves needed to survive the winter hibernation.
All the photos in the photo collage above are photos neighbors in my community have taken of bears in their yards this summer and shared on our community Facebook page!
Sadly, because of the persistent drought and early spring bloom followed by a severe frost and multiple wildfires, much of the normal food--chokecherry and serviceberry berries, nuts, and insects--that the bears would normally find in the wild has been scarce this summer.
Part of our Colorado Front Range community development is nestled in a high-altitude valley (5,735 feet to 6,503 feet) abutting the foothills, where Colorado wildlife roams free. We are used to seeing many deer in our area and occasional mountain lions, raccoons, bobcats, coyotes, foxes, moose, and bears.
I lived most of my life in New York City; seeing so much wildlife has been both educational and exciting to me!
I learned very early on, as you can read in this blog post, to look up into trees when on a hike, as often bears and mountain lions can be sitting in them!
Early this summer, a wildlife expert, Mark Surls, came to our community to do a talk about living close to wildlife, and offered information on how to safely coexist with them.
We learned how not to have attractants around our home, no food or other odor attractants in our cars, and to always have our car doors locked and our garage doors closed. We were reminded not to have birdfeeders, pet food dishes, dirty barbecue grills, and accessible garbage cans. We are instructed to keep our garbage cans in our garage and to take them out the morning of trash collection, especially when the bears are out of hibernation. Most bears seen in residential areas near or within bear habitat do not cause any damage. If a bear doesn’t find abundant food, it will move on.
The bears definitely love a full garbage can, and sadly there is a saying that "a fed bear is a dead bear." Our community has installed bear-proof garbage cans along our trails as a precaution.
Once a bear finds a food source, they will always return to it and become habituated to looking at humans as a food source. Sadly, if this occurs, most of the time they have to be euthanized by Colorado Parks and Wildlife. This summer there were double the reports of bear activity, even in places like the city of Denver, which rarely sees bears!
We have not seen a bear in our yard this summer, but we know they have passed through, as we frequently find and have to clean up large piles of bear scat! I kept this photo small on purpose as it is definitely "ick"! If you want to see it larger, click on it.
Bears are not the only wildlife suffering from the unusual heat and drought. We have a bird bath in our front yard that we have had to refill many times a day. We have seen not only birds, but squirrels and deer drink from it, and I would not be surprised if an occasional bear also stopped by for a drink!
The deer have eaten almost all our flowers and greenery this summer, even things that they have never eaten before, and it may be they are trying to get moisture or are also not finding their normal wild foods in the hills.
A marmot is a cat-sized, furry ground squirrel that lives in burrows in North America, Europe, and Asia. The 15 or so species worldwide include groundhogs. In the Rocky Mountains, yellow-bellied marmots are plentiful. Hikers often spot these charismatic creatures perched on boulders.
Last winter, scant snowfall and warm temperatures deprived many Colorado marmots of an insulating blanket of snow over their burrows. Researchers believe their hibernation quarters got too chilly, causing many to sadly die of the cold.
Summer flowers at our Community Center
September begins in a few days, which means autumn-like weather should be occurring soon in Colorado, and the aspen trees will begin to change color. Fall is my favorite season, and after a very hot summer, I am looking forward to it! I'm hoping for a more normal winter with lots of snow too!
I can also be found on
Blogs I link with:
Nature Notes, Home Matters Linky Party, Happiness is Homemade, Monday Morning Blog Club, Senior Salon Pit Stop, Talk About It Tuesday, The Happy Now Tuesday, Happy Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday 2, Wordless Wednesday on Comedy Plus, Wonderful Wednesday, Thankful Thursday, Weekend Traffic Jam Report, Thursday Favorite Things, Skywatch Friday, Weekly Wisdoms, Fantastic Friday, Farmhouse Friday, Crazy Little Lovebirds Friday Link Up, Dare to Share, Saturday Sparks, Saturday Critters, Weekend Reflections










The bears are fascinating, but the part about the drought affecting everything from deer and birds to marmots really stayed with me. I also love that you are looking forward to autumn after such a difficult summer, because there is something so comforting about knowing the seasons will eventually change. And that bear scat photo made me laugh because sometimes nature is beautiful until you have to clean up after it. Your community really does sound like it sits right in the middle of wildlife country.
ReplyDeleteThe extreme heat and drought is a dangerous time for so many animals. It's sad to hear marmots have died from it. Wonderful bear photos. If people really care about bears, they would never feed or leave their garbage out.
ReplyDeleteThat is a lot of bear activity in your community. We haven't seen a bear, yet, in our neighborhood but our neighbors tell us they've had them come down onto their property in the past. Happy last day of August!
ReplyDeleteWhile I enjoy seeing wildlife and wildlife photos so much I really do feel so on edge when hiking in bear country and I am not great about looking up and all around when I'm focused on my footing but I am trying to be more aware especially as we hike in more and more areas that are not natural to us and have things like bear, bobcats, etc. around. Not that we don't have any here but they are very rarely seen anywhere.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, pat! I always loved seeing a bear in the wild.
ReplyDeleteI did not like they came onto my deck to eat trash.
They seem to spook easily unless they had cubs with them.
I hope your get relief from the drought, we need rain here too.
Take care, have a wonderful week!
As fascinating as the bears are, I have to be afraid of being attacked. Why is it that wild animals are coming into the cities? Have humans encroached on their habitats, or is it hunger? Climate change may be a factor.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your fascinating Post at MosaicMonday
Greetings by Heidrun ❤️
I have never seen a bear in real life, obviously living in England they are not very common. To me it's crazy that they are just roaming around your community but very interesting to read about. It is a shame all the animals are suffering because of the drought.
ReplyDeleteI love all wildlife, but at a distance. Beautiful. I love the flowers. Wow, so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.
Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday, Pat. ♥
We're fresh off a camping trip to Baxter State Park in the wilds of Maine where, I guess, bear sightings are fairly common, so we took precautions with our food and our trash, and didn't have any encounters with bear neighbors.
ReplyDeleteLuv the flowers
ReplyDeleteI am at 31 on the linky
Much love
Fall/Autumn is one of my favourite seasons too.
ReplyDeleteLovely mix of photographs on your post and a fascinating read.
All the best Jan
You have beautiful views, but having to worry about food in cars and everywhere seems too hard. I like having snacks in the car!
ReplyDeletePat,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by!! I am late in responding...We will start seeing bears more often now as they will be raiding our dumpsters, bulking up before the Winter....
Hugs,
Deb
Debbie-Dabble Blog
Wow, what a summer! Bears in the yard, deer eating flowers, marmots struggling… nature really shows both its beauty and its challenges. I love that your community is learning to coexist safely. Here’s to crisp fall air and golden aspens soon!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos of the bears! I hope you get enough rain this fall.
ReplyDeleteMarmots were a favorite when we visited Colorado! We really enjoyed the wildlife we got to see and thankfully no bears!
ReplyDeletewww.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com
We've experience deer and raccoons, but we've never had bears. Thank you for this interesting and educational post. (Visiting from Paula's)
ReplyDeleteI have never seen a bear in a tree in that way! I knew they did, but hadn't seen! I really like that shot. Yes, I can see why you'd have to be very careful. I'm glad they give good instruction. I'm sure after one neighborhood sighting, everyone is following every single rule!
ReplyDeleteAwww on the bears and I really love your summer flowers. Flowers make me smile.
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.
Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday, Pat. Hugs. ♥
...these bear are a bit too close for my liking. I'd want to keep my distance!
ReplyDeletePinning this post to my nature board on Pinterest. Sad but true, about droughts and global warming. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSo much wildlife suffering due to human activity...My husband is a native New Yorker..Michelle
ReplyDeleteExcellent advice to look up into trees when hiking (bears and mountain lions). I've never considered that before, but then again, not too many trees where I hike.
ReplyDeleteBears are interesting creatures and you have a lot of activity! We have had a handful of sightings in my small spot of Kentucky and I am hoping they don't venture onto our farm. Thank you for linking up and have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteThat's a lot of bear.
ReplyDeleteWorth a Thousand Words
Great post, Pat! Living alongside wildlife is such a unique experience, but it’s tough seeing how much the drought is affecting the bears and local wildlife this summer.
ReplyDeleteMy friend lives in California and often has bears passing through her garden at night. While I love to hear about them and other wildlife, I don't know how nervous I would be if I lived there myself.
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures!
The photo of the bear in the tree cracks me up. For me the worst part of having bears in your yard would be to not have bird feeders! I love seeing all the birds my bird feeders attract.
ReplyDeleteWow I did not realise how much bear activity that can happen in those regions. Thank you for sharing. Very fascinating!
ReplyDeleteHello Pat,
ReplyDeleteGreat critter post. I enjoyed all your photos! I love bears, I do respect all wildlife and keep a good distance from any wild animal. I have seen the bear with cubs up in a tree. Your flower images are lovely. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Wow, you have be "bear aware" where you are. I love the napping bear in a tree.
ReplyDeleteI saw a photo recently of a bear roaming through Santa Fe, NM.
Wow is right! Oh no...I need to look in my red Jeep...I hope that bear is not in my vehicle! You've had quite a summer. So happy to read your comments and know you've been a blog buddy for so long. I appreciate your friendship Pat!
ReplyDeleteIt’s such a shame that the drought has made things so difficult for the wildlife this year, Pat. Those bear photos are gorgeous, although I’m not sure I’d be quite so keen on having one wander into my garden! 😬
ReplyDeleteWe don't have bears here in South Africa but it seems quite stressful. Not sure how I would cope waking up to a bear in my garden 🫣
ReplyDeletePat, yes, the bears have been very active in neighborhoods this year. I remind myself that due to the fires, they were forced to leave their homes. We have sighted a few bears in our neighborhood. People have been posting about one in particular: a mama bear with her cub. They seem to be very popular in a few neighborhood Facebook groups I am in. I did enjoy your photos of the bears. I am featuring your post this Friday at The Crazy Little Lovebirds link party. Have a great week.
ReplyDelete