Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Late Autumn Joy!


Happy Halloween!

I usually don't decorate that much for Halloween, because it is easier to decorate just for autumn and the harvest, but I could not resist this plastic skeleton when I saw him in my local Costco a few weeks ago.  A skeleton costume was my favorite Halloween costume to wear as a child. I think I was influenced by the popular song of the time, called "Dem Bones"-- you can hear the song on this YouTube link...

When I was a nursing student, our anatomy professor told us to buy a paper skeleton and use it as a study aid.  I bought a life-sized one that hung on the door of my dorm room all year. After I graduated it became a favorite Halloween decoration for my apartment, and then my house, for many years.  I discarded it when I moved from New York to Colorado, so now, this plastic "Sylvester" Skeleton will become my new skeleton friend. He's much more durable than paper! 


A new family tradition for us to do with our grandchildren is to visit Anderson Farms, in Erie, Colorado, and go to their pumpkin patch to pick out some pumpkins. There are many activities at the farm to enjoy, and my grandchildren love it, as you can see by the collage above! (Please click on the photo collage to enlarge it) Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate with us this year. We did not get the opportunity to take the hayride to Anderson's pumpkin patch, as it began to rain heavily an hour after we arrived, but you can see the glorious views of the Rocky Mountains we had from the farm's pumpkin patch, last year, on this link,


Now that my husband is retired, he is enjoying helping me babysit out granddaughter when both our daughter and son-in-law are working during the day.  They had fun playing together in the leaves he raked this week.  It was a pure autumn joy for both of them!


We actually had to delay raking those leaves this past weekend, because this big beautiful mule buck deer sat in our backyard almost continuously for two days! Just look at his magnificent 6 point antlers! He enjoyed eating the grass and leaves in our yard and then sitting down to enjoy the sun. Since we live in a valley of the foothills of Colorado's Front Range and have lots of open space nearby, we often have deer visitors, but this guy stayed the longest of any!. What a gift it is to see beauty like this in our own backyard!


Finally, we were included in a new neighborhood tradition this year.  Someone rang our doorbell one evening, and when we opened the door a plastic baggie of candy with an attached two-sided note, told us we have been "Boo-ed!"  If you click on the collage above you can read what this means and how we had to share with others. Our block was fully covered, so we "boo'ed" friends who lived a few blocks away.


 It is hard to believe in will soon be November, and in the USA the Thanksgiving holiday will soon be here! I never decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving -- just one holiday at a time, please! Autumn is my favorite season, so I like to make it last as long as possible.  Do you do the same?

You can also find me on 



Bookmark and Share

26 comments:

Judy said...

Wow...what treat to have such a handsome visitor come and stay for awhile!

It looks like retirement is agreeing with your hubby. Most special for your granddaughter...to share these special times with her grandfather!

I must catch up on your last post. We are on vacation and I'm staying away from the computer for the most part.

Lorrie said...

That's an amazing buck to have come and rest for awhile in your yard.

How fun for your husband to play in the leaves with a little one. I hope he's enjoying his retirement.

I don't decorate for Halloween - although this year I did make a couple of small jack-o-lanterns. I add autumn touches in September and they stay until the end of November or early December when I decorate for Christmas (I do a little for Thanksgiving, but that's in October for us here in Canada.)

Enjoy your beautiful autumn.

Kris said...

I love the skeleton! And I really love Grandpa in the leaves with your sweet granddaughter!!!
XO Kris

Ola said...

Happy Halloween! I like the decoration:)

eileeninmd said...

Fun photos, Pat! The pumpkin farms are a great time with the children.. I love your pretty deer..And the decorations are wonderful. Happy Halloween. Have a great day!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That deer in your yard is simply amazing. What a Colorado treat.

I'm an Autumn guy also who doesn't like Christmas to start until after Thanksgiving. Fall is Tulsa's best season. I think it is most places best season actually.

Bethany Carson said...

Good shot of the deer! He's a handsome one! Looks like fun playing with your little granddaughter in the leaves!

Pamela Gordon said...

You are enjoying some great new traditions in your new home Pat. The photos say a lot about the fun you're having. The one of the buck deer in your yard is fantastic to see. Have a great day! Pam

Linda Kay said...

The deer is really lovely, and to think he stayed for so long...must not be the rut season, I'm guessing. The tradition of going to a farm with kids was something I used to do with grandchildren when they were little. And I do not decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving.

Sue/the view from great island said...

Love this post --- that buck is amazing, what a wonderful sight, your granddaughter must have been fascinated! I love autumn too Pat, but here in Southern CA it really doesn't feel like it, so your leaf pile made me smile :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love your skeleton--and he fits perfectly on your bench!!!!!

We decorate for 'harvest' and Fall -in-general---but do have several pumpkins around the yard and house...

Halloween is for children and that visit to Anderson Farms had to have been terrific... We have those big 'mazes' around here --where people visit this time of year.

The Mule Deer (Buck) is amazing. Reminded me of the big Bull Elks we saw in North Carolina. I blogged about it this past Monday. I read that their antlers can weigh as much as 40 pounds. Mercy!

Have a great Halloween.
Hugs,
Betsy

podso said...

What a neat idea for your neighborhood. Sorry about the rain on your new tradition, but you got some time together there. Congratulations on your husband's retirement…I'm sure he enjoys sharing that time with you when you care for your granddaughter.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Sounds like you are both enjoying retirement. Love the photos of your husband playing in the leaves with your granddaughter. The skeleton on your front porch is adorable. Too bad the bad weather spoiled your fun at the pumpkin patch. Happy Halloween.
Sam

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

We had our grandsons over yesterday and played in the leaves too :) Great fun. I usually don't decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving either. I did once or twice when our daughter was going to school out-of-state (in Colorado) so they she could enjoy them while she was home for Thanksgiving. Beautiful buck!

Anonymous said...

Great photos! What a beautiful buck!...no mule deer around here.

Tracy said...

LOVELY photos, Pat... And what a wonderful moment--the buck resting in your backyard!! LOVE this time of year and all the extra blessings and holidays. Wishing you & yours a SPOOKTACULAR HALLOWEEN ((HUGS))

Cranberry Morning said...

I can't get over that gorgeous deer in your very own backyard! What a treat! Love it that you've always had a skeleton hanging around. This one looks pretty happy in his new digs. Lol

Hootin Anni said...

That buck in your yard left me speechless! Wow.

Loved all the Halloween.

Happy Haunting.

Anonymous said...

What a grand visitor you get to your yard. Such fun to play with the fallen leaves...
Glad you are enjoying retirement...

Anonymous said...

Halloween and pumpkins! Life looks good where you are.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Fall in you area has to be a wonderful time…between the landscape and the animals. Since today is the first of November, I decorated our kitchen with a look towards Thanksgiving. I will start decorating for Christmas in about three weeks as it takes me so long.

A Colorful World said...

Great post! Love Anderson Farm's! Looks like the perfect pumpkin patch! Your skeleton is neat. I didn't decorate at all. Couldn't get "into" it. But, had fun at our daughter's house last night with her, SIL and grandson...they DID decorate. I love to get some of my Christmas shopping done pretty early, but prefer making it through the holidays as they come, as well. :-) Oh, and how neat you recently saw Mesa Verde too. I know you will get to go back again soon, since you live so close. Beautiful buck by the way, hiding out in your yard!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat, thank you for linking up this post to my critter party. I enjoyed the goats in the mosaic and the cute deer in your yard..Awesome visitor.. Have a happy weekend!

Karen said...

That's quite the backyard guest!
Your granddaughter is so cute!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Happy Halloween!

That's a magnificent buck.
~

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have that beautiful animal "park" in your yard for a couple of days.!