Monday, June 20, 2016

An East River Ferry Ride in NYC


East

I was away for a week--did you miss me? My husband and I flew in NYC last weekend to attend the wedding celebration of a friend's son in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and then to spend a few days celebrating my birthday and seeing family and friends back in Brooklyn and Manhattan.  It is always good to go back to the city where I lived in most of my life!  When I am there, I feel as if I have never left. (All photos in this post will enlarge if clicked on)


The photos I'm showing you today, were actually taken on a visit we made to NYC last summer, that I never had an opportunity to blog about.  I wanted to share them with you now, as taking a ride on the NY Waterway Ferry is a wonderfully affordable way to see some of the sights of New York from the East River, plus it is a nice way to cool off on a hot summer day.


My friends and I picked up the East River Ferry in Brooklyn Bridge Park. I blogged about Brooklyn Bridge Park when I lived in Brooklyn--click here to read that post.  It is definitely worth a visit if you travel to New York City, as it has many new attractions and features and magnificent views of lower Manhattan.


We saw lots of new construction going up in both Brooklyn and Manhattan on our last visit, and the same was true this visit. The skylines of both boroughs are growing higher and changing. 


The ferry has a nice topside seating area which allows one to have a good view of both sides of the river and enjoy some cool breezes.


It's always fun to sail under the bridges!  First we sailed under the Brooklyn Bridge.....


...and saw the lower Manhattan skyline receding in the background.


Next, we sailed under the Manhattan Bridge.



The river is always full of both commercial and recreational vehicles.


We sailed past Jane's Carousel located in Brooklyn Bridge Park--you can read about a visit I made to this wonderful attraction on my blog on this link.


The American flag at the end of the ferry made a nice focal point with the city skyline behind it.


The next bridge we sailed under on the East River was the Williamsburg Bridge.


There has been a lot of new growth on the Brooklyn side of the river in this area, as you can see by the large condominium complex above.


People were waiting on the dock to board the ferry.


A good view of the Empire State building


The midtown Manhattan skyline.






It was fun to see jet skiers enjoying the river!



The Queensborough Bridge in the distance.


We were now approaching Hunters Point South Park and Pier in Long Island City.


It looked like a beautiful place to relax by the water....


...and enjoy the views!


The United Nations building in the middle of the photo above.


Many more high condos along the Long Island City shore.  I stayed on the ferry for the entire round trip and it soon turned around at this point.


A view of the very ornate top of the Chrysler building on our trip back to Brooklyn Bridge Park


Back to the Brooklyn Bridge Park Ferry stop...


...where again, we had a wonderful view of the lower Manhattan skyline.  You can see the different ferry routes New York Waterways offers on this link.  The East River Ferry website is here, and the fare rates can be viewed here.

As always, I enjoyed my trip to New York City and will show a little more of what I did on some future posts.  Now it is good to be home again in Colorado.  We are having a bit of a heat wave here--how has the weather been where you are?

I'm linking this post to the following blog events:

Thank you to all the blog hosts!


Bookmark and Share

41 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Wow! what awonderful trip downtheriver adn itislovely tosee New York from there. Great photography of the city.

From the Kitchen said...

Loved remembering taking that same trip when our son lived there. Great photos.

Best,
Bonnie

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Good to see you back in your old 'hood, Pat.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the boat ride looks like a fun time and the views of the NYC skyline are beautiful. I am sure you enjoyed your trip back home and seeing your family. Wonderful collection of photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

Latane Barton said...

Next time I am in New York, I must get my daughter to take me on the East River Ferry. As many times as I have been, I've never done anything like that and like you say, such wonderful views of the city.

Jackie McGuinness said...

We took this a couple of years ago and it is a great way to see the city.

Linda W. said...

Great photos of the NYC skyline and bridges! Glad you had a good trip.

Mersad said...

Wonderful impressions from NYC. Thank you for linking in with Through my Lens.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

handmade by amalia said...

A weekend in the city with family and friends sounds like great fun, Pat, and the photos are wonderful.
Amalia
xo

Lady Fi said...

What lovely shots of New York - one of my favourite cities.

podso said...

ITs so nice you feel like you never left. I enjoyed the photos so much!

Tamar SB said...

What fun!

Barb said...

Welcome back, Pat. I enjoyed your water/city photos. Glad you had a great trip.

Photo Cache said...

Ferry ride a must do when I go visit NYC again. So many things to enjoy from the water.

Worth a Thousand Words

betty-NZ said...

That's some great scenery. It looks like fun for all!

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! You always have the best times and wonderful photography ~ Fun city!

Wishing you a Happy Week ~ ^_^

ps. Happy Birthday too!

Anonymous said...

What a nice trip for fun celebrations. You really have a good eye for your hometown. Loved all your photos!

NCSue said...

How cool! Looks like a marvelous ride.
Thanks for joining us at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/06/drip-drip-drip.html

Anonymous said...

Ah, the boat ride here makes me think of the one in Amsterdam. With a boat ride you can see so many features that would take a lot of time (and don't have to deal with traffic!) when going by car!
The Manhattan is beautiful and stately, and also love the Chrysler building.
Thanks for sharing your boat ride with SEASONS!Your interesting posts are always appreciated. Was wondering if you had to adjust back to the country like life and setting in Colorado? Have a happy week!

Jeanne said...

Hi Pat, If we ever get back to NY,in Manhattan I will definitely seek out the East River Ferry ride. What a fabulous way to see NY. I love ferry rides to see places we may not see in the city. Your shots of going under the bridges are terrific. Beautiful skyline photos as well. I know you loved every minute. BIG smile here.

Happy Blue Monday,
Hugs, Jeanne



Fun60 said...

Oh I loved coming along on that tour with you.

The Gathering Place said...

You really make me want to visit New York City! Beautiful.

Yvette said...

A wonderful post. You made me home-sick for NYC - "What is it about you?" Remember 'Annie'? I love the city and always will. I grew up there when Manhattan was still very much a playground for a group of ragtag kids who thought the world would never change. Thanks for these great photos, Pat.

Ida said...

I've never been to NYC but you made me want to visit. I think the Ferry Ride would be a great way to see the sights and avoid large crowds. What a great tour you showed us.

Lorrie said...

New York City is a beautiful place through your lens. I've never been there and I can't say that I really want to visit it. But a ferry ride on the river would be very pleasant.

Rhonda Albom said...

What a beautiful trip down the river. It seems like a great way to see the city, wish we had thought of this when we were in New York last.

Jim said...

Great city shots.

diane b said...

Beautiful NYC. Winter has arrived 9-19°C

Mandy said...

Wow! I'm actually in the middle of planning a summer trip to NYC and was considering doing some type of water tour. I'll have to consider the ferry. The views look amazing! Thanks for sharing! :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great tip that was. I love the photo with the flag and the skyline - very cool! Hope you cool down and survive the heat wave!

TheChieftess said...

Nice shots!! I especially liked your cityscapes...New York is a beautiful city!

Ruth said...

Your photos are awesome! I haven't been to New York in a long time, so, a revisit is long overdue. The great thing is that my sister told me she is planning here wedding for next year. Since she lives in the city, it is my opportunity to go back.

Joyful said...

Beautiful photos of the NYC skyline and bridges.

Photos by Stan said...

YES!!! NYC ferry rides can't be beaten...as an ex-pat from Brooklyn, I always get more out of the city when returning as a visitor [compared to growing up there]. During our last visit, we took the Hoboken Ferry to Wall Street...didn't know what to shoot first...lol.. if you are curious, come visit my site [but, you'll have to scroll back quite a ways]. Anyway, thanks for your post and injection of nostalgia.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I like all the skyline perspectives! Beautiful shots, and thanks for sharing.

Decor To Adore said...

Truly a gorgeous birds eye view. Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful post at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I cannot wait to visit NYC someday!!

Wishing you a great weekend :)

Laura said...

What a fun way to see the city.
I would love to do this!
Thank you for sharing this at Thoughts of Home.

Anonymous said...

It must be fun that you can get back home so often. You have the best of both worlds. You captured the city well.

Of course we missed you!!!

Lisa @ Life Thru the Lens

Gemma Wiseman said...

So many impressive views of the Manhattan skyline. And love the variety of bridge perspectives.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This series really does make me feel like i'd been on that ferry with you. And I loved the trip! Thanks for taking us along.