Monday, June 27, 2016

Fire Island National Seashore and Lighthouse


On a visit to see my brother and sister-in-law and family on Long Island, NY, we took a trip to visit the nearby beautiful Fire Island National Seashore.  (All photos in this post will enlarge for easier viewing if clicked on)


Fire Island is one of the barrier islands that lies parallel to the south shore of Long Island, and is separated from Long Island by the Great South Bay.


Most visitors take a ferry or private boat to reach Fire Island but there are also two bridges. The Robert Moses Causeway--see photo above--on the western end of Fire Island, that leads to parking lots at Robert Moses State Park. The William Floyd Parkway leads to Smith Point County Park on the eastern end of Fire Island, where there is also a parking lot.  The rest of the island has no paved roads.


Fire Island National Seashore encompasses 26 miles of Atlantic Ocean and bay shoreline, lush dunes, maritime forests and 17 residential communities.


It also contains the historic Fire Island Lighthouse.


We walked on the boardwalks that lead to the lighthouse. The boardwalks help preserve the terrain and also protect walkers form coming in contact with poison ivy.


The Fire Island Lighthouse is operated by the Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society, under a cooperative agreement with the National Park Service. The light is still owned by the United States Coast Guard, and is maintained and operated by the Society as a private aid to navigation.


I love to visit lighthouses--they are such stalwart vestiges of the past. 


The ruins of the original 1826 lighthouse that stood 74 feet tall. 


Please click on the photo above to read more about the first lighthouse.


In 1857 the US Congress approved the construction of a new 167 foot lighthouse, which is what stands today.  Its height and First Order Fresnel Lens would allow for better viability for the ships at sea.  You can read more about the history of the lighthouse of the Society's web page.



View from the bottom


There was an interesting visitors center next to the lighthouse, as well as exhibits in the former lighthouse keeper's home, about the maritime history of this area and the lighthouse.


click to enlarge

The visitors center housed the First Order Fresnel Lens and information about it. This lens was used in the lighthouse from 1858 to 1933.


One could spend hours reading all the interesting exhibits in the two story keeper's quarters

Click to enlarge

A display about former lighthouse keepers.

click on to enlarge

A placard with information about the different communities that exist on Fire Island.  About 400 people live on the island year round.


After visiting the lighthouse we returned to the beach to continue our walk, and enjoy the beautiful shore.  Having lived most of my life in the south shore of Brooklyn, near the Atlantic Ocean, I enjoyed seeing the ocean again, and more importantly spending time with my brother and sister-in-law. One of the joys of visiting New York is seeing our families, as well as seeing the famous city sights again.  More about our trip on my next post!



I'm linking this post to the following blog events:

Thank you to all the blog hosts!


Bookmark and Share

43 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

A wonderful island to visit with gorgeous sands and the lighthouse is magnificent. I would love to look around it.

Mersad said...

I love lighthouses and beaches like these here. Fire Island is really a great place for relaxation. So glad you had a great time during your visit. I also like the fact that the lighthouse is well kept and that you can explore inside. Thank you for linking in with "Through My Lens"!

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Tony McGurk said...

Looks like a great island for a day out. The Light House photos are very interesting as I've never seen a black & white light house before. Usually red & white or all white. I really like your photo of the bridge. Looks pretty long.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat, beautiful views of the bridge, beach and the lighthouse. I love all the lighthouse, it would be fun to travel around just seeing all the different lighthouses.
Great collection ofhphotos.
Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

Lady Fi said...

Lovely shots of the seaside!

Tamar SB said...

A beautiful spot in NY to visit!

LV said...

Enjoyed this grand tour through your lens. One place never been and at this stage of my life never will.

Jeanna said...

Cool that the remains of the old lighthouse is there. I didn't know Fire Island had forests and dunes. It doesn't look that crowded for such a clean looking beach, maybe the 26 miles of shoreline have something to do with it. Boardwalks add so much to a walk through marshes, I love the little ones we have around here.

NCSue said...

Lighthouses make for such a wonderful photographic subject, don't they?
Nice shots!
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/06/lovely-san-juan.html

Donna said...

I have not visiting this spot but oh I should....I especially love beaches and lighthouses....I have friends who have a house there, and they had so much damage from the last couple of hurricanes a few years ago...so it was good to see things looking good...nature sure does repair quickly!

Donna@GardensEyeView
and Living FromHappiness

podso said...

I don't believe I've ever visited this light house but I do love light houses. I enjoyed your photos and it's so nice you have family to visit when you go back to your old home "town." I've enjoyed visiting with you over these many Mosaic Mondays!

Anonymous said...

The board walks are good reason if they protect against poison Ivy! Ah, such relaxing views of the beach and the lighthouse!
Many thanks for sharing your time here with SEASONS! That's where I would like to be now:) Have a great week, Pat!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a gorgeous island/state park. Has a hurricane ever washed out that area? I would love to visit there but not sure I'd want to live there fulltime...The summer would be a nice time to visit...

I too love LIGHTHOUSES --and if I didn't collect waterfalls, I'm sure I'd be out searching for lighthouses (or covered-bridges)... ha

Great post.
Hugs,
Betsy

FAB said...

Enjoyed the views and information about the Lighthouse.

Rambling Woods said...

I have heard of Fire Island, but did not know anything about it. Thank you for sharing the photos and great information with Nature Notes...Michelle

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Really fun to see parts of NY that are not the typical tourist places. This looks like a wonderful place to visit.

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Pat, I have never been to Fire Island! I must get there to see this lighthouse as I love seeing them all, and I'm trying to visit as many National Parks as possible this year during the 100th birthday of the National Park Service. We just visited the two lights on Block Island, one of which was moved to avoid falling into the sea. I know Fire Island suffered from Hurricane Sandy so I hope all is well there now. Thanks for the tour! Linda

Betty said...

You always show New York in such a positive light. It bugs me when people don't have anything nice to say about New York (and New Jersey). I've never been to Fire Island. Do you know how it got its name? Enjoyed seeing the light house. I bet the weather was nice.

joyh82 said...

Great photos and I love lighthouses! We have quite a collection in our bathroom ;)

Photo Cache said...

The lighthouse is beautiful and so are the rest of your photos.

csuhpat1 said...

Very beautiful place and beautiful photos.

betty-NZ said...

I love to see lighthouses, too. They all have some fascinating history. I see you had a great time visiting there!

Forest Dream Weaver said...

Wow....such an interesting post....weather looks fabulous too!

AppleApricot Wen said...

Such a wonderful place to visit, I love islands! And a beautiful light house. Coming over from Mosaic Mondays :)

diane b said...

That is an impressive lighthouse and it has an interesting history. The beaches look beautiful too. It must be good to return to NYC now and then to catch up with friends.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had this nice visit and time with family and your beloved New York! Lighthouses are always a fun sight. Wow...poison ivy at the seashore! Glad you didn't have to walk through it to get to your destination.

Fun60 said...

A very interesting post as I find lighthouses fascinating. It is a very tall lighthouse.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I've heard so much about how nice Fire Island veaches are, and tour photos seem to confirm it, Pat.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

There is something about lighthouses. Yes they are a beautiful sight but I am always amazed how hardy the operators had to be.

Barb said...

You had quite the trip, Pat! I like being by the ocean occasionally, too. Nice that you could visit family. Love the shot of the lighthouse over the fence at the dunes!

Unknown said...

Looks like much fun and a great spot to explore. My boy and I were just noticing that arch bridge - we have one very similar in our city.

Al said...

What a great post - you brought back memories of my high school days, when we'd go to Fire Island or Jones Beach on occasion. The southern L.I. beaches are awesome, and little-known outside the NYC area. The recent nighttime photos on my blog were taken in and around Madison Square Park.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Looks like a great beach and area to explore. The only lighthouse I've seen was at Peggy's Cove in PEI but we didn't get to look inside. I'm sure each has interesting stories surrounding their history.
Thank you so much Pat for participating in Mosaic Monday while I've been host.

Ruth said...

I had no idea this place existed. What a great way to escape the big city. And, that lighthouse! Wow! We do not have those styles here in California. Now, I am wishing I can visit New York soon.

Michelle said...

Looks like a great place to visit in Summer!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love those wide beach sands and what a fascinating lighthouse.

Raquel Jimenez Artesania said...

Que bonitas fotos, me encantan los faros...
Saludos

Little Wandering Wren said...

Morning Pat! I have enjoyed my visit to Fire Island what an amazing Island, love the lighthouse and the boardwalks, looks a special day out! Thanks for joining me on a trip to Oxford recently I hope you get there in person soon!
Wren x

Judy said...

Beautiful! What an amazing beach and interesting place to visit. Thanks for taking us along!

Budget Travel Talk said...

Thanks for including the map - I find that very useful. I didn't realize that Long Island was so long! Fire Island has beautiful beaches. Walking along the shore forever would be so beautiful. Trying to choose a time to turn around and walk back is always my problem.

TheChieftess said...

I would love to do a tour of all the East Coast islands!!! From South to North...what beautiful beaches!!! I'd love to stay in one of those old rambling beach houses that I fantasize about when reading a novel set on one of those islands! Nice photos!!!

Stacey said...

Your photos are so pretty, Pat. The shots of the people on the beach look like art!

We've visited quite a few lighthouses in Maine. They really are something to behold.

Thanks so much for joining Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Have a wonderful weekend!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I love light houses as well Millie. This is a real beauty! I'd love to walk along those boardwalks. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann