Saturday, July 16, 2016

Statue of Liberty from a ride on the Staten Island Ferry



On our trip to New York City in June my husband and I were going to meet friends in Battery Park in Manhattan for dinner in one of our favorite restaurants.  Since we were in the area a few hours early, we decided to take a walk and when we saw the sign for the Staten Island Ferry we decided to hop on and take a little cruise of New York Harbor!  It is a nice way to cool off on a hot day, and the view of Lower Manhattan is one of the best, plus it passes by the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, which are always inspirational sights to see!  The very best part of a ride on the Staten Island Ferry is that it is free! Yes, a round trip to and from Staten Island--one of the five boroughs of New York City--is free!

(all photos in this post will enlarge if clicked on)


We boarded the ferry and left the Whitehall Terminal, on its 5.2 mile run to the St. George Terminal in Staten Island.  Some interesting facts about the Staten Island Ferry: It has been operated by New York City since 1905. It carries over 22 million passengers annually, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It has an on time performance of 96 percent, making it one of the most reliable forms of mass transit. On a typical weekday, five boats make 109 trips, carrying approximately 70,000 passengers. During rush hours, the ferry runs on a four boat schedule, with 15 minutes between departures.


New York Harbor is a busy shipping, commercial and private pleasure boat location. 


This is the view of the Statue of Liberty that is visible at first.  She is a National Monument sitting on a pedestal on Liberty Island.  Her full name is Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World, and she was a gift to the United States of America from the people of France in 1886.  You can read more about the people influential in history on this link.


Getting closer!


We can now also see this view of Jersey City, New Jersey, from the harbor.


As we approach the Statue of Liberty we get a good view (click on photo to enlarge it) of her golden lamp and of all the people standing on the pedestal and on line waiting to board one of the Statue Cruise boats that brings one to the island.


Emma Lazarus wrote the sonnet entitled "The New Colossus," in 1883 for an auction to raise funds for the pedestal it stands on.  Her sonnet was a tribute to the symbolism of Lady Liberty.  The poem can be read in full on a plaque inside the pedestal in the museum at the base. This is what it says:

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame 

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

 - Emma Lazarus


For the 12 million immigrants who entered through New York and the Ellis Island federal immigrant processing station, between 1892 until it closed in 1954, they certainly saw the Statue of Liberty as a welcoming sight.  The chance for a new life, new opportunities, new dreams. One of the immigrants that gazed upon her was my own grandmother and I found her name and ship she immigrated on as a young woman in the early 1900's on the Ellis Island Archive that contains passenger lists of more than 51 million immigrants, passengers, and crew members who came through Ellis Island and the Port of New York from 1892 to 1957, at this link.  Perhaps you can also find your own immigrant ancestor on this link?


When the Staten Island Ferry arrives at the St. George Terminal in Staten Island all must disembark. You can then just go through the turnstiles again in the terminal to get on the next ferry returning to Lower Manhattan. You can see Jersey City, the Statue of Liberty and then Lower Manhattan in the distance in the photo above.


A closer view of all three.


As we began our voyage back to Manhattan, I could see another ferry on its way to Staten Island.


We cruised by the beautiful Statue of Liberty again....


...and cruised closer to Manhattan.


One last look...


...and a good view of Ellis Island. It is now open as a Museum of Immigration and very worth seeing. 



I loved this view of another Staten island Ferry passing the Statue of Liberty. I can't imagine that the pilots of the ferry, or the daily passengers, ever get tired of that view.


We are now headed back to Lower Manhattan as dusk approaches, and we were anticipating our dinner that evening with friends. 


New York Harbor and the East River and Hudson River are always busy with sightseeing boats, water taxis and ferries. It's a great way to sightsee and get a different perspective of New York City from the water. If you are a really adventurous tourist, you can also take a helicopter sightseeing ride


We were pleased we had time to take our little free cruise and enjoy once again some of the iconic sights of New York City, especially the Statue of Liberty.

I'm linking this post to the following blog events:


Thank you to all the blog hosts!

Bookmark and Share

65 comments:

Sarah said...

Pat, thank you for sharing this. Very informative and your photos are excellent. I've bookmarked this post. Will be back to visit again. '-)
Happy Weekend!

The Gathering Place said...

Pat, you never fail to make me want to visit New York! What a great free tour. Thanks for sharing the ideas (I'm hoping to some day get to use them.)

The Furry Gnome said...

Very interesting for a Canadian. We have our own 'Ellis Island' at Pier 21 in Halifax.

bj said...

Beautiful photos...hope to go to NYC someday and would LOVE this ride.

Linda W. said...

You got some great photos! This is one monument I'd like to see sometime.

Yvette said...

Wonderful, WONDERFUL post, Pat. The Emma Lazarus poem always makes me teary. GORGEOUS photos, as always. Loved this post.
If I ever do get a chance to go back for a visit to NYC, the Staten Island ferry ride is at the top of my to-do list. :)

Used to ride it all the time when I was a kid growing up on the lower east side. Good times.

Vee said...

I always smile when you are in NYC for you are the first blogger I knew who was an unofficial ambassador for your hometown. You have transferred that gift nicely to your new home in Colorado, but I want to tell you that you haven't lost your touch with your first love. No one sings New York better than you!

podso said...

Pat this was such fun to read. My husband and I rode this ferry so many times during the days I was at school in Manhattan. It was our favorite date and both romantic and affordable (back then it was a nickel one way). Thanks for the memories!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This brings memories of all the posts you did when you lived there. And I've always loved them! I'm glad you took these to share! Sweet hugs, Diane

diane b said...

You had much better weather than when we did a cruise of the harbour but it was still wonderful to see the majesty of the Statue of Liberty. I was surprised at how big it is. The free ferry is a boon in this day and age. Great photos as usual. Its fun having dinner with friends isn't it?

Barb said...

I've ridden that ferry and seen these great cityscapes but not for a long time. Thanks for the memories,Pat.

Buttercup said...

Hi Pat, Your pictures are fabulous. I took the same trip last week to see the SI Yankees, but alas it was foggy and then rainy. I can't count the number of times I've been on the ferry and every time the Statue of Liberty thrills me.

Michelle said...

Pat, this is an excellent tour! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I want to go to New York with you as my tour guide! :)

Margaret said...

Hi Pat! I love your Staten Island Ferry views! Your photos are stunning! I have been to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island before but have never taken the Staten Island Ferry. I am happy that you had good weather for your visit to your old home.
Margaret from B.C.

Lea said...

Beautiful photos!

Gemma Wiseman said...

The harbouris certainly a busy boating place. Great to get a free ferry ride.

Maria's Space said...

Impressive photos. Looks like you had a post card beautiful day

Ohmydearests said...

Beautiful images! The sky was just beautiful!

Mitzi said...

WOW....just wow! Such wonderful & beautiful captures!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Pat - thanks for the nice tour from the Staten Island ferry. I didn't know it was free now. When I first took it, in 1969, it cost five cents! I never get tired of seeing beautiful lady Liberty either, and Ellis Island is well worth another trip too. So much history is preserved there.

Rajesh said...

Great shots of the statue. This reminded me of my trip a decade ago.

Unknown said...

All the beauty and history of your post gives me goose bumps. Amazing. Thanks Pat.

Mersad said...

Such a boat ride gives you great opportunity to take some really cool cityscape shots. Thanks for linking in with Through My Lens.

Tamar SB said...

What gorgeous NYC views!!

Carol said...

Thanks for the tour. This is a great informative post!

Anonymous said...

Great to see the N.Y. skyline with the high rises! The statue of liberty holds such promise, and it's always good to see it again! Many thanks Pat for sharing your New York adventures with SEASONS - your posts are always so interesting! Enjoy your week!

Ann said...

How I love the Statue of Liberty, she stands for everything we believe in.
Ann

LV said...

When traveling once we were in New York, but only to change planes. Only saw the Statue of Liberty at a distance.

Holly Myers said...

A ride across the river into NYC never gets old. The Grand Lady sure has seen her share of great and hard times.

elizabeth said...

How special to find your grandmother's name in the archives at Ellis Island! This sight of the statue of liberty never fails to make me tear up as I think of the refuge and welcome she symbolizes.

likeschocolate said...

We went to Ellis island a few years ago and looked for my relatives too, but found out that mine didn't come through Ellis, but through the Boston harbor. Fun find for you though. We just went to Salem, Mass to find my 10th great grandmother memorial as she was hung as a which. She wasn't one! So sad!

http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/07/gatorland.html

Rhonda Albom said...

Great photos. You had a blue sky day. The time I did this, it was a bit cloudy.

Susan Anderson said...

Wonderful, stirring photos!

=)

baili said...

Wow what a journey dear,amazing pics ,I can feel the excitement

baili said...

Wow what a journey dear,amazing pics ,I can feel the excitement

Alexa T said...

Wonderful place to visit! I've seen it only in documentaries and movies; it's so interesting that a round trip to and from Staten Island is free. Lovely aspects! and impressive statue seen from so up close! Thank you for sharing all these with us! Greetings in Summer!

NCSue said...

Wonderful images - so glad you linked up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/07/world-war-ii-memorial-washington-dc.html so I could find you!

carol l mckenna said...

Oh you do have wonderful times ~ Gorgeous photography and the 'Big Apple' ~

Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

Al said...

That looks awesome - I'll have to add it to my list if I'm in NYC again soon. Although in my case it will probably be a late ride since I'd be there for work.

D.Nambiar said...

That was a well spent evening, I see. :)

Beautiful pictures and great presentation. Thank you Pat for that wonderful virtual ferry ride. Thank you so much.

betty-NZ said...

Fantastic tour of the area!

Joanne said...

Such lovely pictures! I haven't been there in ages and ages...

Jeanne said...

Hi Pat, I never take for granted the view we have and the place we are blessed to live. It brings us joy every day.

Your post is awesome and the photos sure brought back memories of our visit to the Statue of Liberty by a boat ride. It was delightful and so meaningful. It didn't hurt that I was with my sisters and the five us had the best week together. NYC is a fabulous place to visit.

We have been watching the Convention and it is hard for me to take time out but I do try to visit all of the Blue Monday participants. Especially my dear Blog friends like you.

Have a wonderful week.
xo.Jeanne

Ruth said...

I took this ferry once but the weather wasn't good. It is definitely a good alternative to see the Statue of Liberty without having to make a line or without the crowds. I want to ride the ferry again!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos of the Statue of Liberty. I took the ferry during my NYC visit in the night, which was also a lovely view but didn't come out well in my photos. #WanderfulWednesday

Cathy Kennedy said...

Pat, thank you for the photo tour to Ellis Island and a glimpse of Lady Liberty. What a wonderful adventure! If ever we visit NYC, then I hope we might be able to stand at the feet of this magnificent lady. Great share. Feel free to linkup with me and have a fototastic day!

Judaculla Rock Petroglyphs and Brown Eyed Girls

Sharon Wagner said...

I've yet to see lady liberty. Great shots!

Unknown said...

The history of Ellis Island is so fascinating! I've been to an emigration museum in Hamburg last year which told the stories of all those German people immigrating to the US and they've must really have a hard time back then!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful pictures Pat -- and just as when we were privileged to see Lady Liberty in person, the poem brought tears to my eyes. I wish certain politicians could read these beautiful words and understand them. Sometimes I despair.

Stacey said...

I would love to see The Statue of Liberty, Pat. I'm pretty sure that would be a life changing experience to see it in person and to think of all the hopeful and brave people who have passed through there.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Lovely views and I almost felt the cool breeze from being out on the water! :)

LOL it's 6 a.m. and I am already hot...grandson's birthday cake is in the oven super early due to this heat wave we are having.

Off to check your previous post now for more lovely sight seeing shots.

Mary K. said...

Pat you have brought back so many wonderful memories with your photos. I especially remember going to the Statue of Liberty when I was a little girl. It was so exciting for me. It is also nice to see downtown area from far away like that.

Ann Y said...

I never knew the Staten Island Ferry was free. How come? Everyone else foots a cost when crossing the river why is the ferry free? Having said that, next time in NY I want to take it:)

Pondside said...

Wonderful photos, Pat, on these NYC posts. I have always loved your view of your home city. What I also love is how you've embraced a new life, but haven't discarded your love for the big city.
The Statue of Liberty is such an iconic structure. As I read the words you quoted, which I have heard and read often in the past, I thought of how there are some who need to read them out loud. Your country and mine were built by immigrants seeking to escape persecution and poverty in far off lands. There were people who were afraid of the Irish, Italians and Russians, to name a few - there have always people who were afraid of newcomers. The statue is such a wonderful symbol of welcome and freedom.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Fabulous! I hope to see her someday!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Little Wandering Wren said...

I always enjoy a visit to New York with you, your photos are a lovely reminder of our trip there when my daughter was studying at NYU. We never got to see the Statue of Liberty from the water... such a shame, although I always say leave something that you really want to do for next time, then you know you will return! Have a great week Pat.
Wren x

handmade by amalia said...

I've taken the ferry a couple of times, it is a great way to see the city. This brings back memories, Pat.
Amalia
xo

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

Almost ashamed to say that I was born and raised in New Jersey, attended college and postgraduate schools in Jersey City, looked at the Statue of Liberty so many times from the shore and when taking Staten Island Ferry, yet never visited Liberty Island! Thanks for the beautiful images and informative narrative, and also thanks for stopping by my South Dakota blog post.

Diana L. said...

I think I took this cruise the first time we were in NYC back in 2014, but I don't recall being so close (or did you zoom in? if yes then nice shots!)

Rachel ¦¦ A Nesting Nomad said...

This is very interesting because on my recent trip to New York I took the Statue Cruises out to Liberty and Ellis Islands. I debated getting the free ferry as I'd heard the views were also very good, but it was my first time in the city and I wanted to make sure I did it properly! It was one of my favourite activities from the trip, but it's good to see what the alternative would have been like. It looks like a great alternative!

Betty said...

There must be a reason why the Staten Island Ferry is free. Do you know the story behind it? My mother always told the story of my great grandfather sneaking into the country with another family at Ellis Island. Then I started doing genealogy and found that the dates just didn't jive. Oh well, it was a nice story anyway.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lady Liberty... I have actually "seen" her twice, out of an airplane window. Years ago when I was a little girl. And, technically I have visited NYC, but it was a mere passthrough and we did not tour anything, so I do not count it. The only thing I remember is my dad going down the wrong way, on a one way street, in The Bronx I believe. I want to take a cruise like this one when I visit for real some day.

Lisa @ Life Thru the Lens

Indah Nuria Savitri said...

Great photos indeed.. And what a lovely ferry ride you have!

Gracie said...

You know, seeing the iron lady from the boat it was a little delusion, because I've always imagined her so much bigger! But the view of her approaching is stunning...