Monday, October 16, 2017

Rifle Falls State Park



Just 25 miles west of Glenwood Springs, Colorado, where my husband and I spent a few days enjoying our anniversary, was the 48 acre large Rifle Falls State Park.  Here, in this limestone and travertine grotto are triple seventy foot waterfalls that run year round from East Rifle Creek.


One of my daughter's neighbors camped in this area this summer and I was amazed by her photos of the falls, and wanted to see them myself.  This area is very popular in summer and the parking lot fills up quickly, but since our visit took place in October we almost had the park to ourselves on a beautiful fall day.


 We were able to walk right up to the falls...


 ...and even behind them for a bit....


...where there was a bench to sit on to watch the water fall. 


We walked to the other side where I took this photo....



...and this video. Turn on the sound to hear the power of the water!



The Coyote Trail on the right side of the falls is a 1.5 mile trail that winds past limestone walls...


..and past many caves.


Most of the caves had a low entrance and would require one to crawl so a flashlight and old jeans would be handy if one wants to do this. We were not that adventurous..


There was one cave that had a high entrance that we walked into to look around.


We continued to hike on the trail upwards...


...until we were able to walk across a bridge that went over Rifle Creek.


There we could see areas where the water went over the ledge...


...to form the waterfalls!


There was a viewing platform on top where we had a wonderful overlook at the falls and all the lush greenery that surrounds them.


If you'd like to see a video of how the falls look and sound from this vantage point go to my Mille Fiori Favoriti Facebook Page, at this link, or you can see it on my Instagram page here If you follow my Instagram you will see I share many more photos of Colorado, my other travels, and daily life.

Rifle Falls State Park has year round camping sites. Check out the park's website at this link for further information.


Adjacent to Rifle State Park is Rifle Gap State Park, a 350 acre reservoir, with clear aquamarine water.


It is a reservoir popular for swimming, boating, windsurfing, water skiing and fishing. Anglers can catch rainbow trout and German brown trout, walleye, yellow pike, and largemouth and smallmouth bass and perch. Migrating waterfowl can also be seen. There are 89 campsites available by reservation at Rifle Gap State Park, and many picnic areas.

We enjoyed our side trip to Rifle State Park and seeing this NW part of Colorado. We weren't done taking side trips on this long weekend get away, however, come back next time to see some more beautiful scenery and a hiking feat that I almost thought I could not accomplish, but did!


I'm linking this post to the following blog events:

Thank you to all the blog hosts!


Bookmark and Share

50 comments:

diane b said...

What a beautiful walk you did. The waterfalls are fabulous. I enjoyed the video. You are adventurous with your hikes.

Linda said...

Awesome! It’s been years since I’ve been there! Summer and I hope to take a road trip to Colorado and revisit our favorite places. In years past, we vacationed in Colorado every season except spring. We went there in April one year and learned it was true what they said in the movie ‘Mountain Man’, taken from the book by Vardis Fischer......
“April is a messy month down below. Some folks like it. Mostly farmers.l
Love all your awesome Colorado posts!

Daniela said...

Dearest Pat,
I heartily thank you for sharing another stunning post of yours, the falls you've caught in your amazing shots are truly breathtaking!

Wishing you a most lovely Monday,
I’m sending blessings of joy on your new week

XOXO Dany

Lady Fi said...

Wow - those waterfalls are magnificent!

likeschocolate said...

What a great waterfall. Will have to bookmark this one for the next time I am in Colorado. Have a fantastic week.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful water falls and caves in the park. So many of them.

riitta k said...

Stunning photos of sceneries & water falls <3

podso said...

That looks like a wonderful place to hike--the photos are wonderful, Pat. Three water falls together -- I loved the view behind them. I hope we get to CO again sometime and this would be a definite place to go! Happy Anniversary too!

eileeninmd said...

Hello pat, what a lovely waterfall. Looks like a wonderful hike to the top of the falls and the caves. The reservoir looks pretty too. Gorgeous views and photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Maggie said...

What an adventurous couple you are, Rifle Falls is a stunning place and I'm so pleased to have been able to see a part of it through your lens this week. I think I know now what the difference is between going for a walk (which is what we do) and going for a hike! Fabulous post.
Happy Mosaic Monday.

Snap said...

A beautiful spot to celebrate your anniversary. Can't beat waterfalls! Happy Monday!

Linda W. said...

Amazing sets of waterfalls! The fall colors around the falls make them even prettier.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

You've take me on another wonderful visit to a natural place of beauty. Great shots

Cheryl @ TFD said...

The waterfalls are beautiful and I'm glad to hear about another gorgeous place in Colorado to visit. I'm so hoping hubby and I get to see some of these sights when he retires. Thanks for sharing your amazing photos with us, Pat!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Unbelievably beautiful scenery. The triple falls is spectacular.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

My gosh Pat that park is so beautiful; I love waterfalls and don't know how I've missed knowing about this wonder.. Maybe next visit if we're lucky. (I'm sending this link to the CO kids, just as a tiny hint ;>)... seriously, I wonder if they even know about it.

Molly said...

What an amazingly beautiful place

Mollyx

Tom said...

...there seem to be waterfalls popping out everywhere. The landscape there is drop dead gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Never can get enough of waterfalls! Haha, I would not go crawling in a cave eiter! So interesting that you could see the point of water going over the ledge to form a waterfall! Beautiful captures for all Seasons, Pat! Your outings are always to interesting:) Have a appy week!

The Furry Gnome said...

That is a really unique waterfall!

Linda said...

How beautiful! Thanks for taking us along.

Liz (Wimpy Fox) said...

What a gorgeous view.

Fun60 said...

What stunning scenery.

NCSue said...

Grand images - I would love to be there visiting and listening to the falls.
Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/10/wind-and-water-water-and-wind.html

Lorrie said...

Those are such beautiful waterfalls, so full of water even after a dry summer. I can imagine they would be overflowing in the winter (or frozen)! What a gorgeous place for walking.

Lowcarb team member said...

Simply gorgeous photographs.
The waterfalls are fabulous.

All the best Jan

Saša S. said...

What a stunning watterfall. Wonderful & peaceful place.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Oh Pat - Those falls are just gorgeous, and your photos are stunning. You never fail to continue to find more beauty in your (new) home state.

Al said...

Wow - I'll have to add this to my list of Colorado places to see.

Ruth said...

Wonderful! Parks with waterfalls are my kind of parks. I think there is a lake called Hanging Lake close to here. Have you been?

Andrea said...

As usual i am envious again! And because i am a waterfalls person i drool at those waterfalls, with one big shot all at the same time. I hope you took a Long exposure one of the falls, oh that would be so exquisite. Thanks again.

Pat Tillett said...

Fantastic post Pat! Such a beautiful post, and beautiful photos of it.
I'm putting this place on my list... Thanks!

Pat Tillett said...

Oops! I forgot to mention the video. Not only is it beautiful, the sound of that rushing and crashing water is awesome...

Sylvia said...

Pat, It was nice to have a great day to see a real treasure. Loved the video. The water is so clear. Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.

A Colorful World said...

This is an absolutely stunning place! I would absolutely have to include these Falls in another trip to Colorado! Beautiful photos! Loved that there was a bench behind the Falls.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Your pictures of Colorado are just beautiful. My mum grew up in Brooklyn and many of her cousins still live there, or in Long Island. I can't remember the neighborhood she lived in now, but she's in her mid eighties so it was quite some time ago.

Michelle said...

Gorgeous views of Colorado, but what else would I expect?!! Such a beautiful state! Thank you for linking up today and I hope you have a GREAT weekend!

ellen b. said...

It is so nice that you take the time to see and enjoy so many parts of Colorado. What a beautiful photo journal of this trip.

Indah Nuria Savitri said...

such an incredible waterfall! And I really enjoy tracking as well..Fall is the best time to do so

Angie said...

Pat - I have seen many waterfalls in my time, but this is very unique with the three separate falls and so tall. How cool that you could walk behind the falls and they have a bench!!! We also find that we are on our own in many places now that kids are back in school - yippee. Enjoy your weekend!!!

betty-NZ said...

Thanks for the tour! What a great place to spend the day. I love waterfalls and these are just fabulous!

Ann said...

Wow what a gorgeous park and I would love to sit and linger on that bench.
Ann

Jeanie said...

Oh Pat, I love a waterfall. This would feel like magic to me. So beautiful -- each and every photo is a gem. So glad I came over today. I see your lovely follow link which I never noticed before so follow I shall!

Rambling Woods said...

How beautiful and how powerful the water sounds....Michelle

Annesphamily said...

This is such a beautiful area but there isn't anything here I don't love. Now I know why my dad loved to wear his Colorado Native t shirt. He was so darn proud of that shirt. You take such beautiful photos. Waterfalls are a favorite of mine too. Although my oldest sister lived in a beautiful place, Kentucky I will never understand why they did not return here to her native state. My brother-in-law was a Michigan native but they loved Kentucky.
No matter where I go I love returning home. My late friend Mike always use to end his conversations with "there is no place like home". I sure miss him.
I hope you have a lovely weekend Pat. Thanks for sharing and HPS!

Joanne said...

Such a beautiful place to explore!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Such gorgeous falls! Next time hubby and I go to Glenwood Springs I am going to have to go see them. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Angie said...

Pat - to answer your question on my post - they were only charging 50 cents for a picture if the fortune cookie ladies - they even have a sign about it. Maybe you have a generous-looking demeanor!!!

Mary K. said...

Pat what a magical place, And that was not a small waterfall either. There is still so much green there, do the leaves change colors?

AngieOuellette-Tower said...

This beautiful post is a GARDEN feature on the November You're the STAR blog hop: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2017/10/youre-star-week1-garden-november-2017.html
Thanks
Angie