Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro


My nephew Patrick climbed Mount Kilimanjaro over the July fourth holiday, and gave me permission to show these photos on my blog and tell a little about his wonderful adventure!  In my last post I blogged about the safari he took when he arrived in Tanzania.


Mount Kilimanjaro is located in the country of Tanzania in Africa.  It is part of Kilimanjaro National Park, and the park website states:

"It is the highest peak on the African continent and it is also the tallest free-standing mountain in the world, rising in breathtaking isolation from the surrounding coastal scrubland – elevation around 900 metres – to an imperious 5,895 metres (19,336 feet)."


The ascent of the mountain is a virtual climatic world tour, from the tropical to an Arctic climate.

The park web site states: "Kilimanjaro is one of the world's most accessible high summits, a beacon for visitors from around the world. Most climbers reach the crater rim with little more than a walking stick, proper clothing and determination."  

Although it is mainly a walking ascent up the mountain, according to this web site typically only 15% of climbers at any given time succeed to reach the summit attempt of Kilimanjaro.  My nephew trained for over a year, and experienced just a small amount of altitude sickness, which is the most common reason most climbers have to retreat.  Cerebral and pulmonary edema can occur if the climber is not allowed to acclimatize their body to adjust to the altitude.


The first European person to climb Mount Kilimanjaro was the German geologist, Hans Meyer, in 1889.


Kilimanjaro is not a peak you can climb on your own. It is mandatory to climb with a licensed guide and to pay porters to carry most of your equipment. This sustains the local economy and allows local people to reap the rewards of tourism.  The photo above includes the other climbers from around the world that were in my nephews group.


The group celebrating after a few days climb.


You can see the path leading up to Kibo peak in this photo.


Kilimanjaro is composed of three distinct volcanic cones and Kibo is the highest at 19,340 feet. Uhuru Peak is the highest summit on Kibo’s crater rim, and in English it means 'Freedom."


At this point my nephew was above the clouds for the rest of the climb!  He said it was an amazing feeling.


His sleeping tent on this day was close to a rim.  What a view!


Some of the guides taking a break and exploring caves that are along the way.


A beautiful sunrise over Tanzania as seen from Mount Kilimanjaro.


A cozy breakfast on the mountain.


According to this web site: "Kilimanjaro has 2.2 square kilometers of glacial ice and is losing it quickly due to global warming. The glaciers have shrunk 82% since 1912 and declined 33% since 1989. It may be ice free within 20 years, dramatically affecting local drinking water, crop irrigation, and hydroelectric power."


More glacial ice near the summit.


A close view of the glacial ice.


Patrick made it! Uhuru Peak!  Africa's highest point -- the world's highest free standing mountain!  We were so proud of him!

Patrick is a high school teacher and he will have a lot of stories to tell his students, when school resumes, about his climb and about pursuing a life dream through hard work and determination.



The entire group made it to the summit! 


As they walked around the rim of Kibo summit they saw the ash pits of former volcanic action.

According to this web site: "Kilimanjaro is a giant stratovolcano that began forming a million years ago when lava spilled from the Rift Valley zone. The mountain was built by successive lava flows. Two of its three peaks—Mawenzi and Shira—are extinct while Kibo, the highest peak is dormant and could erupt again. The last major eruption was 360,000 years ago, while the most recent activity was only 200 years ago."




It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.

~Edmund Hillary


I'm adding this post to "Outdoor Wednesday" event on Susan's blog A Southern Daydreamer.  Please visit Susan's blog today to see her outdoor post and the links of all the blogs participating.

I am also linking up with Jenny Matlock's blog Off On My Tangent, Alphabe Thursday. Today is "Alphabet Soup" and we can choose any letter of the alphabet.  I chose the letter "K," for Kilimanjaro! Please visit Jenny's blog to join in all the fun.

Bookmark and Share

54 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Patrick's summer experiences will impress his students!! What a thrill that would be to look out and see that you are above the clouds....and you're not in an airplane!!

I really loved seeing the photos and reading your text about the climb...I don't blame you for being so proud of him!!! That climb was an amazing accomplishment!!!

L, Dana

Claudia said...

I so would love to speak with Patrick. An astounding beautiful victory. An accomplishment, a goal fulfilled. And above the clouds. Oh yes, above the clouds.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh My Gosh... That is just SO awesome.... Congrats to Patrick... What a great example he has set for his students.... We need more teachers like him....

That is totally mind-blowing... I love hiking --but I cannot imagine hiking up over 19,000 feet... Holy Cow... I'm just in awe BIGTIME.

How many miles total did they hike? How many days?

That is just awesome. Thanks for sharing. His photos are great... Glad to see a girl made it also.

Hugs,
Betsy

Sarah said...

What an accomplishment! And how fortunate we are that you are sharing these amazing photos from your nephew's climb. You should be proud of him! Love the quote at the end. ~ Sarah

Willow said...

This may win my favorite post of the week/year! Fantastic! Thanks for sharing Patrick's climb with us!

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Pat...let me just say Patrick is one courageous DUDE!!~ Not for me, not way no how...but I will say it looked amazing, and had to be so incredible when up there. Thanks for sharing with us frady cats! Just came home from vaca, and catching up on my blogging buds:) Debbie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a wonderful post, Pat! That is just fascinating. I'm so glad he had this opportunity, and I appreciate him letting you share this with us. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

XO,

Sheila :-)

GailO said...

What an accomplishment! And he took such great photos too...I can only imagine what it feels like to camp above the clouds....

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What an amazing post. Way to go Patrick!! I know you were so proud of him. I so enjoyed reading about his climb. It was so interesting. I admire anyone who does something like that. Such determination. Your nephew will have so much to share with his students. That is awesome!!! And the pictures were breathtaking! Thanks so much for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

Amazing experience for your nephew after all the training needed to avoid altitude sickness etc.. Great photographs, especially the wonderful one in the clouds.

Thank you Pat for sharing this wonderful achievement with us and send Patrick my congratulations.
Jackie in UK.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, what amazing photos. The views must have been stunning. Great photos!

diane b said...

It must have been exhilarating for him. The shots are interesting as I have a friend who is over 70 and she climbed to the top a few years ago, Amazing woman.

Old Kitty said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! Will you look at that view! And glaciers!!

Wow. I am in AWE!!

WEll DONE Patrick and all the climbers too. Oh my goodness. What an achievement - what a tale to tell his class - that is what I call a true inspiration! He is amazing! I can't add anymore - I'm just flabbergasted by these fab pics. Wow again!

Take care
x

La Petite Gallery said...

What an interesting Guy he is.
I bet he never bores his friends.
Such an adventure packed summer.
Thanks for sharing his great photos.

yvonne

Jenny said...

Amazing. Patrick is really a wonder. I admire him. Tell him I am anxious to read the book about his life story. I always ponder what makes some people able to seek adventure and others want to stay home.

Wonderful post, Pat!

Vagabonde said...

This post is really a treat. I love the sunrise picture – it is stunning. Patrick’s students will marvel at his adventure and some of them may go to Africa because of him. This is a great post.

Laura in Paris said...

Oh, I envy you .. I lived in Kenya for over two years and did not do the climb ... my little girls were very little and I didn't want to leave them alone for the time of teh expedition .. I never went to Turkana lake either ...

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What an amazing adventure Patrick had! Those pictures are just stunning and awe inspiring.
Penny

Linda said...

That was quite an adventure...something he worked hard for and will remember for the rest of his life! Those are such wonderful photos and your post was just great. Thanks so much for sharing and thank Patrick too!

Pam Kessler said...

That is just amazing. And his photos were gorgeous. Thanks for posting this - makes me want to get off the couch and go for a walk!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have really enjoyed these posts! Just places and scenes most of us will never see! I am amazed at the beauty of nature and appreciate Patrick sharing the photos with all of us! You are so wonderful to always give us such adventures through your blogging! Enjoy your afternoon! I'm going to look back through the photos!♥

Annalisa said...

What a glorious experience!Congratulations to Patrick on his achievement!!!
A lovely post, breathtaking pictures and descriptions!
Can't wait to read more,
Love,
Annalisa

Light and Voices said...

Congratulations! What an achievement Patrick has accomplished. Your buttons must be popping because you have a right to be proud.
Joyce M

Unknown said...

Congrats on that achievement. However, I tell you Pat, I am climbing no mountain or mole hill. Years ago, I went to Bako for a hiking..thinking I will be hopping along paved and cemented walkways. Wrong! We had to climb hills --- very small ones BUT the only thing we had to hold on was tree roots, it was the toughest hike of my life. My friend and I took days to recover from that trip.

Great pictures from Patrick :) Happy weekend Pat..hugs/M

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

HOLY COW! First of all the photos are beyond wonderful! Please thank him for us.


Second - I'm kind of crushing on him and his adventurous self. I know, it's a little creepy because I'm sure he's the age of my children. And I love his shaved head. I know, that's a little creepy too.

Just a little something from Judy said...

You must be so proud of Patrick! I learned so many interesting facts from my visit here...as I always do. I feel like you provide brain stimulation for me each week. I now know where the highest free standing mountain in the world is. I also can tell you that if I was with Patrick's group I would not be sleeping near the edge of the mountain as he did. But, what a thrill that must have been. You are right, his students in the coming years will be so interested in his real life stories. Fascinating post!

Tracy said...

WOW...just HUGE WOW! Very much enjoyed reading & seeing about your nephew's grand adventure. What a once-in-a-lieftime trip! GORGEOUS photos... I have to go back and look at those again! Happy Days, Pat :o) ((HUGS)) Oh, incidentally, it's about 80 degrees here today--it's warming up...haha! ;o)

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Stunning pictures. This must be the adventure of a lifetime! He has really had some amazing experiences and how wonderful that he shared them with you so that you could share them with us.

Lola said...

Great fun & what a great achievement!

Have a lovely weekend,

LOLA:)

PS Mine this week is HERE. Hope you can join me!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

What an adventure! I wish I had the spirit to go do something like that..amazing phots also..

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Over from Alphabe Thursday. What an interesting post. While I have never climbed a mountain, all this information was all very familiar. Our children are avid readers and love an author by the name Gordon Korman. He writes adventure stories that include children. One was about treacherous mountain climb. Its called Everest. My husband and I enjoyed the book series too. I highly recommend it for anyone. Perhaps your nephew would get a kick out of it.
From A Canadian who only climbs moutains of laundry : )
Dana

Together We Save said...

Wow - that is amazing and so wonderful! I love the facts you added into the post we could understand all the work it took. I know you are so proud!

Viki said...

What an amazing adventure. I couldn't image being some place up above the clouds, wow. Thanks for sharing the pictures. They are beautiful. Great post.

Unknown said...

This looks like quite a trip! I bet he will have his student's attention as he shares his travels.

You are right. It is the quality and not quantity. I worked really hard to get people to come to the blog. I love those that have decided to revisit and not just stop once to enter a giveaway.

Tracy said...

these photos are brilliant. I was worn out climbing the wrekin in shropshire lol

Cheryl said...

Wow! Just wow!

Brenda said...

A great informative post as always. We could travel New York and now Africa through your posts. I see you belong to Susan Beecher's book clubs. I also do but unfortunately since starting a blog I have not spent as much time reading her daily posts.

mrs. c said...

Patrick is an amazing man. I know this was an exciting adventure for the entire family. Was he able to communicate from the slope? Our neighbor has climbed 5 of the 7 highest peaks, including Mt. Everest. I think those folks are great role models for us all. We each can "climb our own mountains" everyday. These photos are lovely and I really enjoyed them, the facts about the glacier are so disturbing to me and what is really sad is that some people still don't believe in global warming!!

The Gathering Place said...

Beautiful photos of a amazing adventure! You are lucky to share in the fun of your nephew.

Kat said...

What an amazing accomplishment! The photos are just gorgeous, I especially love the shot of his sleeping tent above the clouds. I can only imagine how surreal that must feel. And I love the photo with the guide and the porters. Have you read "Three Cups of Tea"? I have the utmost respect for these hardy and brave souls. Wonderful post Pat, thank you and thank Patrick for allowing you to share with us. Kat (btw, what subject does he teach?)

steviewren said...

Great post Pat. Your nephew is my hero. I'd love to have had a teach like that.

Cheryl D. said...

What amazing photos for an amazing trip!

Jo said...

wow Pat, that was an amazing post ... the photos are just stunning and it is truly a huge bucket list item for a lot of people, but not many get the chance ... i would love to be above the clouds, it would be so surreal ... thanks to your nephew for letting you share his adventure with us all!

Judy said...

Wow...what an accomplishment! Congrats to Patrick...and may he continue to challenge the 'peaks' that lay before him.

signed...bkm said...

Wow amazing really you all should be so proud of yourselves ...pictures are Wonderful...a climb you will never forget...thank for sharing...bkm

Shirleyanne said...

What an adventure! So many memories for your nephew. Really love the sunrise, but all photos look very special.
Such an achievement! Brilliant!

Proud Italian Cook said...

What an amazing accomplishment! Up in the clouds, the views, with the best seat in the house to have your breakfast!

Betty said...

Congratulations Patrick. What a wonderful experience and I'm glad we got to share it with you. Please thank your nephew for those great pictures.

Vee said...

Really nice photos and I'm getting a kick out of knowing how fun it will be for your nephew's students to hear about his adventures. That is quite the illustration about "living above the clouds."

Jenny said...

I commented earlier but I wanted to say how much spice and flavor your link gave to our Alphabet Soup this Week!

Thanks for making the week extra delicious!

A+

A New England Life said...

Absolutely amazing. I was wondering how many days it took them to climb it? Also, how much it costs?

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

The Kilimanjaro climb takes four to five days as it takes that long to adjust to the high altitude. If the climbers go up faster they can develop serious high altitude sickness


The cost depends upon the contract guides that a person hires to accompany them. They are required by the Tanzania National Parks but their fees vary and some offer better success rates than others according to their level of expertise. I'm sure if you Google it you can see estimates ;-)


It is a once in a life time achievement, so I think it is priceless!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Pat - I did see this post while I was on vacation but wanted to wait till I got home to read it properly. I am so impressed by these people who attempt to climb mountains - and those who make it to the top. What a great achievement. He seems to have reached his goal without any of the serious problems we read about - probably due partly to his long training. Thanks for sharing his trip.

Barbara said...

Pat, I am reading this post nearly 5 years after you wrote it. Very interesting and how wonderful that your nephew was able to make it to the top! The picture of the depth of the glacier is INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks for directing me to read this!