Monday, April 4, 2011

The Brooklyn Museum - Part One



This past weekend my husband and I visited the magnificent 560,000-square-foot Brooklyn Museum, located at 200 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, New York. The Brooklyn Museum is one of the oldest and largest art museums in the country. Its world-renowned permanent collections range from ancient Egyptian masterpieces to contemporary art, and represent a wide range of cultures. (All photos will enlarge if clicked on once and then again when it re-opens on a new page)


The museum is only a 30-minute subway ride from midtown Manhattan, with its own newly renovated subway station located very close to the museum entrance. There is also a paid parking lot next to the adjoining Brooklyn Botanical Garden. You can buy a "Art and Garden Ticket" at the Brooklyn Museum and present your receipt for same-day admission to the garden.


The beautiful Beaux Arts building was opened in 1897 and founded by Augustus Graham. The museum is well-known for its expansive collections of Egyptian and African art, in addition to 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th century paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts. It hosts many special exhibits as well as long term installations.

Here are a few of my favorite paintings from the American Art Collection:


One of the last works that O'Keeffe painted in New York before her permanent relocation to New Mexico in 1949, is considered her farewell to the city where she had lived and worked for many years. The Brooklyn Bridge is near and dear to my heart and O'Keeffe's image has always been one of my favorites.


Mt. Rosalie is now called Mt. Evans. Bierstadt established his artistic reputation with "Great Pictures" of the American West. Having visited Colorado many times since my son and his family live there I am always attracted to Rocky Mountain views.


Self-taught artist and Quaker preacher Edward Hicks painted approximately sixty versions of The Peaceable Kingdom.  I have always found the scene of the "lion lying down with a lamb"  a wonderful symbol of peace and redemption.




Sargent painted compelling landscape and figure subjects, including this image of his friend Paul César Helleu and his wife, Alice by plein-air using an Impressionist-inspired technique. The red canoe, grassy shore and painter hard at work while his wife rest nearby reminds me of a beautiful, relaxed summer day.



The view is taken from the American side of the great Horseshoe Falls, facing the Canadian shore. Looking at this painting I felt as if I could hear the water thundering down the side of the cliff and feel its spray on my face! It brought back memories of trips I've taken to Niagara Falls, where I have experiences just such wonderful things.


This bronze bust is a replica of the head of a standing Lincoln completed by Saint-Gaudens in 1887 on commission for the City of Chicago's Lincoln Park. Lincoln in 3D is always the best way to appreciate the features of his interesting face.



George Washington. On the left painting by Charles Wilson Peale on the right painting by Gilbert Stuart

The Peale portrait was commissioned by John Hancock of  Washington as Commander in Chief of the Continental Army in order to flatter and reward him for liberating Boston from the British in March 1776.
Gilbert Stuart portrayed George Washington several times in this stately, full-length portrait format known as the Grand Manner, and filled the painting with many iconic American details.

The differences in Washington from his somewhat youthful face from the beginning of the American Revolution in 1776, to his aged look during the years of his presidency beginning in 1789 are fascinating to see side by side as the paintings are displayed in the Brooklyn Museum. It seems from the office of our first president, being the president ages a man!


One area of interest in the Brooklyn Museum is the Luce Center for American Art on the 5th Floor. It is a 5,000 square-foot dense display in the Visible Storage and Study Center which offers an inside look at how museums work and provides a glimpse of the breadth and scope of the Brooklyn Museum's extensive American collections. Whereas only about 350 works are on view in the adjacent American Identities exhibition, this facility gives open access to some 2,000 of the many thousands of American objects held in storage, which are now available for viewing and research by students, scholars, and the general public.


Glass display cases contain a selection of archived objects from the American decorative arts collection: pewter, commemorative pressed glass, Tiffany glass and lamps, examples of contemporary industrial design and furniture, silver, eighteenth-century furniture, nineteenth-century seating furniture with original upholstery, and Brooklyn-made ceramics.

It is fascinating to think that as large as the Brooklyn Museum's building is, just a small fraction of the permanent collections can be displayed in its limited exhibition gallery space! To open some of the storage space for a glimpse of it's contents in this way was wonderful to explore.



It was also wonderful to see so many students and artists hard at work copying artwork in the museum and enjoying the galleries.

There is a lot more to show about from Brooklyn Museum and I will be doing a few more posts about it this week. In my next post I'll show the special exhibit we wanted to see at the museum before the show closed.


Linking up to My World Tuesday hosted by Klaus, and the My World team, Ruby Tuesday by Mary's The Work of the Poet blog, Outdoor Wednesday on Susan's blog A Southern Daydreamer and Rednesday on Sue's blog It's A Very Cherry World

Please visit their wonderful blogs next and join in all the fun!




Bookmark and Share

60 comments:

La said...

Hi Pat!

I really like the painting by John Singer Sargent. Thank you for sharing so much beauty.

Donnie said...

Living there when I was younger I must have gone there. At least on a school trip or something. It looks great.

Carol said...

Fantastic, Pat! In all these years, I have never been to the Brooklyn Museum. I hope to change that one of these days. Looking forward to seeing more.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, this is a wonderful post! I love visiting museums and this is one I'll probably never see! And do I see a Tee Pee in one of the photos? ♥♥♥

Yvette said...

Another wonderful post, Pat. Even when I lived in NYC all those years I don't remember ever going to the Brooklyn Museum. Shame on me. What a gorgeous place! Actually, I have a vague memory of having gone once, perhaps while still in school. But I can't bring up a clear memory.

I loved seeing the Sargent as it's one of my all time favorite paintings. I posted about it on one of my Favorite Paintings post a few weeks ago. I also posted about the artist Helleu. I love his work as well as Sargent's. Did you notice Helleu's raised pinky finger? For me, that's the focus of the painting. I love it!

Wish I could see it in person...

And I loved seeing the Albert Bierstadt too. The latest mystery by Nicholas Kilmer features a search for an unknown hidden Bierstadt masterpiece hidden on the premises of a seedy private college. Terrific book.

Just a lovely post, Pat.

Snap said...

Wonderful post, Pat. I do love museums and I haven't made it to the Brooklyn Museum yet. Gardens and art ... sounds good to me. Traveling with you is always fun!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

What a beautiful tour, thank you! It was nice to see some of my favorite artists such as Georgia O'Keefe, Sargent, and Stuart. Thank you for introducing me to a few new ones! Have a wonderful week!

The Gathering Place said...

That looks like a great museum. I enjoy seeing beautiful art.

Betty said...

Such an interesting post. I'm so envious of where you live and all that you get to do and see.

Kim, USA said...

Oh my this is the place I can stay the whole day. Good thing they allow camera inside ^_^


My RT

Pondside said...

What a wonderful place to have so close to home! I could spend hours in a portrait gallery, studying the hair, clothes, demeanor of the subjects. I love landscapes too, and your favorites are beautiful ones.

Leora said...

I've never been to the Brooklyn Museum - it looks grand! I love Albert Bierstadt and John Singer Sargent - two of my favorite painters.

Buttercup said...

We share several favorites there. I was riding past the Museum on the train this afternoon -- coming back from Brooklyn College -- and I thought that I am overdue for a visit. Thanks for taking me there!

Verna Luga said...

the paintings are breathtaking... fantastico..... thanks for sharing..
http://www.vernzdaily.com/peoplespark-2/

RNSANE said...

Pat, this was such a wonderful visit to the Brooklyn Museum. It is a magnificent place and of such an enormous size.

On Sunday, my friend, Joanne Olivieri ( aka Poetic Shutterbug ) took me to San Francisco's Asian Art Museum ( I can't believe I'd ever been there ). One of the highlights of the day, were performance of several Balinese mask dances!

Claudia said...

I have a recurring dream about the Brooklyn Museum (?????). And I thoroughly am enamoured of your choice of paintings. Forgot the Peaceable Kingdom was there. And the wonderful Georgia O'Keefe. I took note of the museum and garden pass (what a grand idea).

diane b said...

That is one big Art Museum (we call them Art Galleries whereas a museum is for artefacts) Thanks for the tour and I am looking forward to more. I liked the"Outdoor Study" the best. Being able to access the storage items is a great idea especially for students.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I think my favorite is the Georia O'Keefe too Pat! That place looks huge! All the walking you do Pat, the tours of all these beautiful places, I swear you must be so heart healthy!

Michelle said...

Love the Tiffany glass on display. I really enjoy museums and could stay in one all day.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm loving this tour and your information as well!! I never knew there were ANY more versions of The Peacable Kingdom, let alone that many!! And O'Keefe painting the Brooklyn Bridge!!! I never knew, so unlike most of her well known paintings. She has given the bridge a total duality here.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love art museums! Between Milwaukee's and Chicago's we have some wonderful art viewing. I'd love to see Brooklyn's one day!

Vee said...

Very nice tour. I'd love to visit this museum. I am most drawn to John Singer Sargent and I do appreciate that Hudson River Valley School look with Bierstadt's painting A Storm in the Rocky Mountains. I'm not certain he's from that school, but his art certainly reflects it. I found myself following the diagonal lines and the looking for the splashes of red. Then, too, I enjoy O'Keefe's work very much. Oh art is just so subjective, isn't it? Thanks for sharing some of your favorites with us.

Anonymous said...

What a great place to visit. The outside is impressive!

Kai Rui said...

lovely place, nice one to visit...hoping to get there one day...visiting from My World...followed you, hope you'll follow me back

would you mind visiting my entry
http://lovingoutliving.blogspot.com/2011/04/antulang-beach-resort.html

dianasfaria.com said...

I've only been here once & have wanted to go back to visit ever since.
Nice job Pat, I love the paintings you posted.

Unknown said...

It's beautiful Pat. sadly, not many people like visiting museums here...maybe they are boring, but I'd pop into museums everytime I am abroad. Missing you a lot :)

Tracy said...

Hi, Pat! I just LOVE a trip the museum! Wait for me... I'll bring my sketch book. ;o) This was fantastic fun. I knew Brooklyn had this museum, but what I didn't know was how BIG it is!! :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

Old Kitty said...

What a lovely museum! Thanks for sharing your favourite paintings here too. It's a huge huge vast collection - plenty to see and do that'll take a lifetime to complete!

I love that Tiffany lamp!! And that Brooklyn bridge painting is surreal!

I look forward to more of your posts on this fabulous building and collections. Take care
x

Ola said...

some of the paintings are really nice, I would probably like to see the glass objects too:)

Houseelf said...

What a wonderful place to visit. The painting of Niagara Falls shows the power of the water so well.

Mister Meatball said...

One of the most under-appreciated places in the city!

Used to have studios on the top level, for art classes. Long time ago.

Still don't get the glass entry they did, but whadda I know.

Gracie said...

I'd kill for an original Liberty glass lamp, I can find a lot of them here, but they are so expensive! This looks a nice place to visit...

dede leoncedis said...

One more time! Ciao Pat
http://varie-ed-eventuali-blog.blogspot.com/2009/04/brooklyn-museum.html

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I could pitch a tent in there and stay for days, Pat! WOW! The Brooklyn Bridge by Okeefe is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Tanna said...

Pat, I LOVED the tour and can't wait for round 2!! Oh, what beautiful works of art! Thank you!! blessings ~ tanna

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Thank you for taking us along to this wonderful trip of yours. Really enjoy seeing it through your lens.

Anonymous said...

A fantastic art museum...I enjoyed my visit!

liberal sprinkles said...

Thanks for the tour, I love the Georgia O'Keefe and the stained glass lamp. And the mushroom-like things in the 3rd photo, are they lightings or sculptures? Very interesting! I bloghopped my way here, have a great day!

Dianne said...

I used to live on Eastern Parkway and visited the museum often
your photos bring back wonderful memories

your entire post is so well done
so much information and such great photos

I love the Brookly Bridge painting

Barbara F. said...

Pat, your posts bring back the most wonderful memories for me! The last time I was at this museum I was in elementary school! I love the Georgia O'Keefe painting. xo, P.S. Thx for all your kind comments on my blog :-)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thanks to everyone who commented! If you ever visit NYC a side trip to the Brooklyn Museum should definitely be on your itinerary.

Liberty Sprinkles:
The mushroom looking fabric pieces in the Brooklyn Museum are part of an exhibit called "reOrder: An Architectural Environment" by Situ Studio http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/reorder/

It will be in place until January 15, 2012

Lisa@GrandmasBriefs said...

So much to love here! I especially like the Mount Evans painting (no surprise, right?). My husband would truly love and enjoy all the presidential portraits and the Lincoln bust. One day ... Until then, I enjoy visiting New York and all its lovely offerings through you. Thank you!

AM said...

love the niagara. wonderful post :)

Grandmother Mary said...

Any place that brings that level of art is to be treasured. Thanks for sharing.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Obviously I have got to make a trip to the Brooklyn Museum. I love art and art museums but still haven't made it there - why I don't know, but I have to remedy that soon.

Judy said...

Most interesting place...right at your back door! Thanks for taking us along on your tour.

nonizamboni said...

Many thanks for introducing me to the Brooklyn Museum!!At least I can take a 'virtual tour' of their wonderful collections for now.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Pat, this looks like a fabulous place to visit. I would love to go some time.

I never realized that Georgia O'Keefe painted the Brooklyn Bridge! That's fascinating. I love the fact that they have a collection of American paintings of note. That's neat.

Thanks for sharing with us, Pat.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Jojo said...

This goes on my "wish list" of places to visit on my next visit to NY. Thanks to your web, I made it to the Tenement Museum and it remains at the top of my list of top 5 museums to visit.

Ebie said...

Pat, you outdid yourself! Its like one chapter of a tour book! I love your shots of the museum both in and out!

Jocelyn said...

I lived in NY as a child, and one thing I really miss about city life is the museums. I've never been to the Brooklyn museum, but I did go to the many museums in NYC.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

Sheila said...

I would enjoy exploring the treasures of the Luce Center. I've always wondered about the things that are stored out of sight at museums and galleries. Conservation is of great concern and it's fascinating that the public has a chance to learn about the workings behind the scenes. I agree with you about Georgia O'Keefe's Brooklyn Bridge. It's a fascinating painting. I have never seen an exhibition of her work but that would be amazing! Thanks Pat. I'll be looking forward to the next chapters in your Brooklyn Museum tour.

Anonymous said...

Pat, You chose some wonderful paintings to show us on this tour. I have always liked the work of Georgia O'Keefe and had no idea that she lived in Brooklyn...time to learn something new! I am looking forward to continuing on this tour.
♥, Susan

nanny said...

Beautiful works....
That's a big museum. Could spend lots of time there. It's wonderful that they allow photographs taken.

Donna said...

Wow, unbelievable, Pat! I love visiting art museums, and this would be one I'd love to see next time I'm in NY.

Hugs,
Donna

annie said...

I grew up 20 minutes or less outside the city in Elizabeth NJ.
So naturally I have never seen much of the sights in NYC. Seems to be a law of nature.
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen O'Keefe's bridge painting. Fascinating!

The painting on the far wall of that last picture is quite uniquely framed, isn't it?! I like that!

genie said...

AWESOME!!!! Thanks for the tour of the museum. I have visited every museum is every city I have visited...it there was one. I LOVE art museums. Thanks so much for including Georgia O’Keefe’s painting. I have been to many exhibits of her work, but I have never seen this. I am going to have to check my books and see if it is in there. thanks for all the fabulous shots.

LindyLouMac said...

Thankyou for the wonderful virtual tour, so interesting.

steviewren said...

Pat, how envious I am of your close proximity to so many beautiful pieces of art. I would love having the opportunity to sit in the galleries and study so many of those marvelous works.