Sunday, July 27, 2014

Chicago's Hancock 360 Views, Eataly and Shaw's Crab House!


If you visit Chicago please make sure to include a visit to one of the observation decks available that will give you magnificent views of the city! On a prior visit I visited the Willis Tower--click here to read that post.  While that visit was unique, as I was above the clouds, my visit to the John Hancock building's 94-floor observation deck was even more enjoyable! Located at 875 North Michigan Avenue, this buildings views 1,000 feet above the skyline of...


.....downtown Chicago......


......and Lake Michigan, are fantastic!


I loved the view of the historic Navy Pier, where I had so much fun a few days before! 
(click here, and here, and here to read those posts)


On a clear day, it is even possible to see four surrounding states! It is exciting to walk around the enclosed observation deck and see the views and points of interest from North, South, East, and West



I took this photo of a new feature that was almost finished in a portion of the observation windows.  It is called "Tilt" and allows eight people at a time to stand in the special mechanized window which tilts forward and outward for a few seconds.

The following YouTube video shows the experience:



Would you try it?  




As part of the admission ticket we bought to go to the Hancock #60 Observation deck, was a free return nighttime visit. Since our hotel was conveniently located very close by, my husband and I were able to do this after dinner that evening.



It was nice to see the day time views lit up for the night!  Everything looked very magical!



When I lived in New York City I was a frequent visitor of the all Italian specialty store and food hall called Eataly, located in Manhattan (see those blog posts here,  here, and here) Early one morning I had the opportunity to take a walk over to the new Chicago Eataly, located at 43 East Ohio Street! The store was almost an exact replica of the NYC's Eataly, with a few exceptions.  I picked up a couple "hard to find" dried pasta to bring back home with me and wished I could have bought more.  


Of course, no visit to Chicago is complete without enjoying one of the city's fabulous restaurants and this trip my husband and I were able to enjoy a dinner at Shaw's Crab House, located at 21 East Hubbard Street, Chicago. The decor, service, and food were impeccable! We enjoyed a cold seafood appetizer for two, and I had sauteed soft shell crabs served with jicama, papaya, and avocado relish, and my husband had a Parmesan crusted haddock, with sauteed spinach and lemon butter as our entrees. We shared a delicious berry encrusted cheesecake slice.



I have to say Chicago has become one of my favorite places to visit, and I know I will return to this scenic, exciting city again in the future, and I hope I've also enticed you to visit one day.



I hope everyone is having a very enjoyable summer.  My family recently returned from a week vacation in the Outer Banks in North Carolina, where we all rented a beach house and enjoyed the surf, sights of wild horses and dolphins, and gorgeous sunsets. Come back soon to see my next post and find out what very special family event we were celebrating!


Bookmark and Share

42 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

You know I've loved seeing your visit--well, all but that lean out experience!! Chicago is a wonderful city. We have never eaten at Shaw's. It takes awhile to eat one's way through all the wonderful restaurants but you've enticed me to move it up on our list.

Best,
Bonnie

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Yep been there, done it & got the tee shirt. Just wish they had didgital cameras when I was there back in the early 80's
Love the photos

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Pat! The views are absolutely fabulous. The lean out would scare me. Wonderful shots of the city! Your meal looks delicious too. Thanks for sharing your visit! Enjoy your new week ahead!

ellen b. said...

You really got the best weather for all these great photos and panoramas!

Barb said...

Pat, I like having you for my tour guide! I also love Chicago. I'm not sure about that tilting platform though....

PS Would you mind telling me what camera you're using? I'm researching mirrorless - my DSLR is mighty heavy!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've never been to this city but your photos show an incredible view! WOW! Happy Monday mosaics my friend! Hugs, Diane

podso said...

I've been up willis and stepping out into that sort of glass cage about did it for me, but this leaning thing on the Hancock building sounds like something I would decide to do "another time." Your photos are lovely especially the second one. I'm glad you enjoyed Chicago so much and hope you weren't at the outer banks when the bad storm came through,

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Chicago, but you certainly make me want to visit it.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Oh Pat what a great post, I have to say I love my city and I'm glad you do too! Hopefully next time you visit we can meet up, but I won't go on that tilt with you, no way!!!

Jim said...

Great foreshore.
Sydney – City and Suburbs

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What fabulous views. It looks like you could see forever. No, no, no to the tilting observation deck. Believe it or not, my husband is a pilot and afraid of heights. Somehow over the years that has rubbed off on me. But for the brave, I suspect it must be an experience of a lifetime.

Soft shell crabs are a wonderful treat. Your dinner looks magnificent. I'm looking forward to your visit to the Outer Banks of NC. I know, because I've been there, that most likely you had a good time.
Sam

SmilingSally said...

Morning Pat,

We visited Chicago once and loved it. However, you showed me parts that I did not know existed. (The Tilt)

Thanks for making Blue Monday special.

Have a Beautiful Blue Monday!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I have enjoyed your chicago series and love the views here in this post! :)

Ciao Chow Linda said...

OOOh I need to make another trip to Chicago to step out onto that tilting glass window. Looks like another fun time, Pat.

Vee said...

I might try the tilt window! One of the things that I wouldn't want to try is the glass walkout at the Grand Canyon...nope, not that one. With all your traveling this summer, I think you must be able to find any foodstuffs that you have missed in Colorado.

Anonymous said...

Great photos. You were so lucky to have perfect weather for your visit not once but twice to the top for such wonderful views. I have a thing about heights so I would not be one of the people experiencing the tilting window.

Hannah said...

Great views, Chicago is such a magnificent city! The tilt lets you look down into the streets, I don't get how you keep from being pressed against the glass, is there a seat belt or railing not in the photo? The views remind me of those from an airplane, and the night ones are beautiful.

Hannah said...

Great views, Chicago is such a magnificent city! The tilt lets you look down into the streets, I don't get how you keep from being pressed against the glass, is there a seat belt or railing not in the photo? The views remind me of those from an airplane, and the night ones are beautiful.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Great view of the Mag Mile, Pat! No, I don't think I could do the tilting window without freaking out.

I have several very delicious and happy memories of Shaws Crab House!

Anonymous said...

fabulous post!

Fun60 said...

I love looking down on a city but the Tilt - no thank you.

Daniela said...

These views are really gorgeous and be sure, I won't miss your next post, my dear Pat, how could I ?
Have a wonderful new week and continuation of Summer, my dear friend, sending much love <3
Ciao !!
Dany

carol l mckenna said...

Magnificent skyline shots ~ gorgeous for OWT and what a fun trip for you ~ thanks,

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Photo Cache said...

wow great shots. million dollar views.

joyh82 said...

Visited Chicago when I was younger. Would love to go back. Happy Blue Monday!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Made me think of: "On a Clear Day, You can see FOREVER"... Wow--what VIEWS you had. I loved seeing it during the daytime and especially at night. Tremendous!!!! Thanks for taking us on your tour with you...

Your dinner at the Shaw's Crab House sounded terrific also... YUM..

Hugs,
Betsy

Barbara said...

No! I would not try out the "Tilt", just like I have no desire to walk on that clear deck overhanging the Grand Canyon! I've got my personal 'boundaries' and both of those attractions go too far for me! (smile)

But I loved your pictures of Chicago. I've never lived there, but I have visited many times -- my parents moved to Chicago from Denver the year I got married.

toby said...

My mother would approve! I grew up in Chicago, and only went to the Sears/Willis Tower for the first time two years ago. As a kid, my parents always insisted that the view from the John Hancock building was much more impressive :)

That said, I don't think I would want to go on that tilting thing...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

diane b said...

Those tilt windows are awesome. I would have a go with my heart in my mouth. Must send your link to my daughter who is going there soon.

Beverly said...

Yikes, Pat. I love the views, but I would never, ever ever try that tilt. I am scared just thinking about it. lol

Lorrie said...

You are the best tour guide, Pat, always showing interesting and beautiful sites from the places you visit. Love the meal you enjoyed - crab - yum.

Anonymous said...

Marvellous shots!

Tanna said...

I love to visit Chicago and am adding Shaw's to my bucket list. ;) Can't wait to see more about your beach trip, Pat! I know just what you mean about waiting til the last day and bad weather for photos!! LOL! We did that last year and I swore we would do it first thing this time (still didn't get good light). LOL! blessings ~ tanna

La Petite Gallery said...

I have always wanted to go to Chicago.
Now more than ever. It is beautiful.
Diner at Shaw's looks delish. Thanks for taking me along. yvonne

Jane said...

Wow! Love the aerial views! You have enticed me to visit there sometime-
but probably in the warmer wether ;)
Have you ever seen the artist Yvonne Jacquette?
http://www.artnet.com/artists/yvonne-jacquette/

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I loved reading about your visit to Chicago, Pat. You take the most amazing photos! I am deathly afraid of heights, so I'm quite sure the tilt wouldn't ever be on my bucket list of things to do. Not even sure I could handle the observation deck at that height! lol! We're going back to the Grand Canyon this fall and you can bet I won't be doing the glass deck! Yes, I'm such a wimp. :)
Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Wow - what great views!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful visit.

steviewren said...

I've wanted to go to the Outer Banks for years, but haven't had the opportunity yet. I look forward to your next post.

steviewren said...

I've wanted to go to the Outer Banks for years, but haven't had the opportunity yet. I look forward to your next post.

Judy said...

I see that there are many more things for us to check out the next time we visit Chicago! You are the best tour guide.

J said...

I clicked on "Chicago" just to see if you had the Tilt - and of course, you didn't disappoint! Would I go on it? YES! But I wouldn't guarantee I'd end up closing my eyes!