Sunday, September 24, 2017

Glorious Autumn in Colorado!




Thank you all for your comforting comments to me on my last post. Losing my brother-in-law was such a shock and my entire family is heartbroken. My husband and I were in Italy when he was ill and we did not know of his battle with cancer. We were relieved that he did not suffer long and is now at peace receiving his heavenly rewards for living a good life. His death made us aware even more than ever that we have to cherish every day we are granted here on earth. That is one of the reasons that when I realized that autumn color had already arrived in Colorado, especially in the higher elevations, I needed to take a drive to enjoy it's peaceful beauty.


As you can see in these photos, Colorado's aspen trees began to turn from summer's green to varying shades of gold and orange in September, progressing first from the north of the state down to the south and the highest elevations to the lowest. We could have waited a few more days but knew that this weekend was going to be raining at our lower elevation, and possibly snowing at elevations over ten thousand feet, so much of the autumn leaves might fall from the trees. It is always a guessing game to know when perfect peak color occurs, and I think we were fortunate to catch it very close to prime. (All photos in this post will enlarge for easier viewing if clicked on)


We drove first to the Kenosha Pass area which, at 10,000 feet (3,000 m) always has beautiful aspen groves full of color in autumn.  It certainly did not disappoint us!


We also happened to see many Painted Lady Butterflies enjoying the wildflowers and flowering weeds along the pass trails. This year was a bountiful year for these butterflies and they have been seen in great numbers as they migrate south towards warmer weather.


We then decided to take a drive along one of our favorite scenic byways--Guanella Pass. It is such a favorite drive that I've blogged about it on other occasions--click here and here to see those posts. This 22 mile scenic and historic byway underwent renovations recently and is now completely paved.  New restrooms are being installed at different locations, as well as many viewing area pull outs and interpretive signs. It is a two way road that leads from Georgetown to Grant and visa versa. We like to ride from Grant to Georgetown, as we often stop in Georgetown to shop and dine.


Guanella Pass is such a pretty ride any time of the year, but especially in autumn.


There are many places to stop and view the golden aspen trees both from a distance and...


...up close for a better view!


There are places to watch waterfalls...


...and places with footbridges to walk over to see creeks flow by.

To see a video of the scene above of Geneva Creek please click over to my blog's facebook page at this link,  or watch below--the sound may have to be turned on the video:

 


Guanella Pass is one of Colorado's 26 Scenic and Historic Byways and began as a logging and wagon supply road during the gold rush time in the 1850's. It was designated a Scenic and Historic Byway in 1990 and National Scenic Highway in 1991. It was named in 1953 after Byron Guanella, who was a road supervisor and commissioner in Clear Creek County for nearly 50 years. His great grandfather began ranching in the area in the 1860's. Even now there are parcels privately owned property along the pass, such as the beautiful home and horse pasture seen above.


Much of the land around the pass is wilderness, however, with many opportunities to hike and camp and enjoy nature.


The summit of Guanella Pass is at 11,669 feet (3557 m). Higher mountains surround the summit with a trail to the top of Mt. Bierstadt at 14,065 feet (4,287m). It is incredible to be above the tree line and view these jagged peaks so closely.


I found a spot along the road where one side had this view of Clear Creek.  

You can watch a video of this scene at this facebook link or below--the sound may have to be turned on the video:


Directly across from this view was this view...


Mountains striped with bands of pine trees and aspen trees.


It is truly a glorious sight to see!


Our drive on Guanella Pass ended in Georgetown. This was the first glimpse of the town as we descended down the Guanella Pass byway. Georgetown is one of our favorite historic mountain towns and we always enjoy a visit here. We stopped and shopped in a few of the stores and had an early dinner. It was the end of a perfect day and a true spirit lifter.

I plan to share some photos from our trip to Italy in my next post and of course more Colorado stories in between.  It is good to be back to blogging!

                    I'm linking this post to the following blog events:

Thank you to all the blog hosts!



Bookmark and Share

51 comments:

The Gathering Place said...

Pat, I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. What a difficult situation that must be. Your fall pictures are beautiful. It is my very favorite time of year. I hope our rain this week didn't hurt our Utah leaves, as I have yet to drive up our canyons to see them.

Rajesh said...

Very beautiful and scenic. I just love it.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Awe so very sorry to read of the loss of your brother-in-law, and praying that your family finds peace in time. Taking a ride through Aspen country I can see and also know how that would help in bringing a peace and calm and assurance of goodness that shall follow you now in your loss. God Bless you and yours~

Maggie said...

Dear Pat,
I also was sorry to learn of your brother in law's passing, I can well understand the need to take a drive to see the fall colours of the aspens and dwell in such beauty, so healing and calming.
Take care,
Maggie

Marleen said...

Gorgeous!

Gillena Cox said...

Luv those Aspen leaves close up. Happy Monday

much love...

Ola said...

Just beatiful, such views reduce immensely summer blues 😀

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat, so sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. Prayers for you and your family. Gorgeous scenes and beautiful fall trees. The colors are gorgeous. Lovely series of photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Pat I am so sorry about your brother-in-law. Sending hugs. Colorado is beautiful in the fall! You took some amazing pictures.

ellen b. said...

Glad you are finding comfort in your loss. Lovely color. Drives do me good, too.

Linda W. said...

The fall colors in CO are always so breathtaking. One of these years, I'm gonna make it over there (with my camera, of course!) Thanks for sharing.

Snap said...

Wishing you and yours well after the passing of your brother-in-law. Cancer infects the whole family ... not just the patient. Your beautiful images of the color change in Colorado makes me miss "home" even more.

Tom said...

...gold sure is the color in your neck of the woods! I saw lots of Painted Lady Butterflies this weekend. Thanks Pat for stopping by.

LV said...

One of my favorite states. Nothing more gorgeous than those golden leaves blowing in the wind.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The colours are amazing. I think fall is such a gorgeous time of year.Thanks for sharing these glimpses of what you experienced.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Gorgeous landscapes, your photographs are amazing

Beth said...

Absolutely gorgeous scenery! Thanks for sharing, Pat.
Sorry for your loss. Glad we have the promise of Heaven. It gives us hope.
Blessings, Beth

NCSue said...

Beautiful photos!
Thanks so much for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-view-from-mount-washington.html

carol l mckenna said...

Wow ~ gorges array of photos ~ such a beautiful autumn in Colorado and see you are enjoying every moment ~ thanks, ^_^

(A ShutterBug Explores)

Betty said...

I am sorry about your loss. I hope those beautiful fall colors bring a little light into your life. Thanks for sharing. The season I miss the most living along the Gulf coast is fall!

The Furry Gnome said...

Colorado is certainly beautiful when the aspens all turn yellow!

Anonymous said...

Missed your last post, so I'm so sorry for your loss, Pat. What a shock when you didn't know about his cancer. That God may help you all through this time of grieving!
Never have seen Colorado in Fall, so this is a treat! Didn't think to see the turning of leaves so quickly! Beautiful and stunning views. Many thanks for sharing all the news with All Seasons. Have a beautiful week!

Lady Fi said...

Gorgeous shots of autumn! Nature can be a balm to the grieving soul.

AppleApricot Wen said...

Oh wow, such stunning scenery! Thank you for bringing us along with you Pat, I especially loved the videos, so relaxing and soothing, like you're really there for a moment. Now I wish to visit beautiful Colorado again :) Beautiful photography! Coming over from nature notes and wishing you a wonderful day.

betty-NZ said...

What wonderful autumn colors! When I lived in GA at the foot of the Smokies, I so enjoyed the mountainsides when they changed colors. But now, I don't see much at all and your photos are so refreshing to see!

likeschocolate said...

Seriously gorgeous! Fall is just strarting to present itself here! Love not as colorful as it is in Georgia. They don't have the maple trees here in germany that give off the plum and red tones.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

There is nothing prettier than the mountains in the Fall.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Lorrie said...

Welcome back, Pat. I'm sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. It's hard to lose the ones we love.
Aspen trees in fall are so pretty. Their rounded leaves look like gold coins. What a beautiful drive you enjoyed.

Al said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. These photos are beautiful - I need to get out and see the colors but the last couple of weekends have been so grey. Many years ago I climbed Mt. Bierstadt, and it is certainly in a beautiful place.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Fall color in Colorado -- pure gold!! So beautiful.... we've been there in September several times and October at least once... I love it in the Fall and hope we get to come back during the season sometime soon. Thanks for sharing -- you hit the perfect time and place; that's a beautiful drive.

I am glad you're back in blogland -- and I am so sorry for the loss of your brother in law. It is important to honor every day we have!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Pat, I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. I enjoyed so much seeing your wonderful photos of the fall colors there. Colorado is truly one of the most beautiful states...at least through your lens! I was so hoping we would get out west this month when we took our vacation and that I'd get to see part of CO again. But we opted for going to Branson and not having to drive so much. When hubby retires in another year, maybe then he'll feel up to traveling further from home. Looking forward to seeing your Italy photos!

Linda said...

Beautiful pictures of Colorado! I'm sad to hear about your brother-in-law.

Mandy said...

Gorgeous images! Love all of the color in the trees! One day I'd love to take a trip to Colorado! :)

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Like you said, it's a great reminder to live for today, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. :-/

Angie said...

Pat - I am glad you are back in blog-land - your pictures are a blessing to us all. I particularly like the one with the bands of pine and aspen.

You know yourself well and you picked a gorgeous route to help with your healing and grieving. Keeping you and the entire family in our prayers.

Light and Voices said...

Pat, sorry for your loss. Grateful for the lovely photographs you posted of Colorado.

Barb said...

Pat, you went at just the right time! Your photos are gorgeous and show the beauty of the aspens and the landscape. It snowed in Breck Sat and overnight, plus we've had a couple nights of hard frost. Even aspens that hadn't quite turned are now brown from the cold. The snow melted in our yard, but the peaks are still white. I agree - seize life and find joy. We never know what tomorrow brings.

Rambling Woods said...

Oh Pat, I am so sorry about your loss. A friend of ours lost his sister to cancer 2 weeks ago in only 3 weeks from diagnosis. I am so glad you were able to go to Italy and so sorry about your BIL.... These photos are amazing. Fall is such a colorful time and you captured some of it really wonderfully....Michelle..sending a hug long distance...

Sally Wessely said...

What a glorious drive you had. I have missed going to those places so much. Quite honestly, I've been a bit grumpy this fall because my husband sees no need and has no desire to go on such jaunts. He is happy working! I am going to have to join a touring group or something. Seeing the leaves in fall in Colorado is the best way to prepare for winter. Thank you for sharing.

Jim said...

A beautiful collection.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Colorado mountains are so gorgeous this time of year (I guess pretty much any time of year!) and you capture it so well!!

Lady Fi said...

Those colours are simply gorgeous!

Pat Tillett said...

What a glorious post! One fantastic photo and scene after another.
I LOVED the videos also. There is much that sounds better than the sound of rushing water down a creek, or river bed.

Michelle said...

Pat, it's good to have you back. My condolences on the loss of your brother-in-law. Losing a family member is always difficult.

I do look forward to some blog posts about Italy. Enjoying each day is so important!

Sharon said...

So much beauty and peace! You are so lucky to be in the middle of all the changing leaves. Love that close-up of the round, yellow leaves especially!

William Kendall said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your brother-in-law.

Beautiful landscapes!

diane b said...

Just the most beautiful scenery. Our tallest Mountain is only half that high. The stripy mountains are lovely.The photos are terrific.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such wonderful colour in your photographs.
I so enjoyed seeing them.

All the best Jan

Lessandra said...

I loved looking at your mountains of autumn colors - and even enjoyed more listening to the videos of the babbling?/roaring? brooks! Happy Autumn!

Unknown said...

So sorry for the loss in your family! My condolences! Your photos are lovely! Wish I lived closer so I could enjoy them in person.

Mary K. said...

Pat I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your loved one. Indeed these sad events make us realize just how limited our time here is and that we must seize the day. Thanks for sharing these majestic photos and videos with us. I'll be featuring this post on on Sweet Inspiration Link Party on Friday!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Beautiful! Hubby and I are headed that way Sat. if the Dr. gives me the o.k. Still battling an infection. Hoping we get to go. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann