Friday, July 17, 2009

Summer Hodge Podge

Isn't this a fun scene? It's a "beach" added to the north side of South Street Seaport Pier 17 in Manhattan, called The Water Taxi Beach.

Some information from the web site:

"Water Taxi Beach South Street Seaport is 18,000 square feet of fun, food, sun, recreation and relaxation. Located along the water’s edge on the north side of Pier 17, this Beach offers the most spectacular views of the Brooklyn Bridge and the East River in the city. Stop by and catch some rays or build a castle in the sand
During the day you can go under the tent and grab a drink or play a game of ping pong, or play skeeball or 9-holes of miniature golf.
There is a Fish Shack for respectfully priced beach grub like our authentic Baja Fish Taco, award winning Motz burgers or grab bucket of popcorn and an international soda pop at our Pop! Pop! Pop! Shop featuring fresh popped popcorn, soda pops from around the world and pop rocks.
After dark, Water Taxi Beach is a playground for the 21+ crowd with live music, DJs, as well as cultural and electronic music events."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


While walking in Lower Manhattan along Water Street, yesterday, I passed quite a few large air conditioned trailers parked along the street.

I knew this meant one thing: a "on location" movie shoot was about to happen! There was a large gaggle of girls behind barricades waiting for a glimpse of the movie star.

I stopped and asked this young lady who she was waiting to see and she held up her bag and told me it was Robert Pattison, the star from the film Twilight, who was now there to shoot scenes for a new movie titled "Remember Me."


According to this article in the Daily News gossip column Mr. Pattisson unfortunately is not enjoying all the attention he's been getting from his adoring fans. I guess fame does take its toll on personal freedom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Now, on to a fun meme passed on to me by Jenny, from the blog Supplies Overflowing, who asked me to list seven not-so-obvious things that I love.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply Jenny, summer events have been keeping me very busy! Here, in no particular order, are 7 non obvious things I love, among many, many things that I enjoy:

1) Seafood -- it's my favorite dish to order at a restaurant.

2) George Washington -- our first President just fascinates me. He is one historical figure I would have loved to have met.

3) Red wine Sangria -- my favorite summer coctail, especially when it has peaches in it!


4) Growing fresh vegetables in summer! I'm limited in space and lack of soil in my city backyard but my potted tomatoes and peppers still grow very well.

5) Summer flowers -- I grow lots of colorful flowers in flower pots outside. They make me happy!


6) Crocs -- I bought my first pair this summer and I have been really enjoying wearing them as I work in my garden or hang around my house. So comfy!

7) My bird feeder. I buy giant bags of bird seed and re-fill this feeder every day, as I get hundreds of feathery visitors. The bird's antics are so entertaining that my cat and I could watch them for hours, and as my reward for feeding them they fill the air with lovely songs.

Thanks Jenny! This was a fun meme!

Would anyone else like to join in doing this "seven non obvious things you love" meme? Please let me know if you do, as it's always fun to learn new things about each other.

I was happy to receive this package all the way from Norway this week! I was a winner in Tracy of the Pink Purl blog's Summer Stash-tacular Giveaway!


I won the # 4 selection of the give away --the " Merry Mix of Trims," which is a bag full of trims--ribbons, laces and rickrack in a great variety of colors and different lengths. Thanks so much Tracy! I have lots of ideas on how to use these pretty trims, for scrapbook pages and hand crafted cards. I also enjoyed the delicious chocolate you enclosed in the package.

Please visit Tracy's blog and enjoy her wonderful photographs, as she engages us in the special things going on in her life and shows us beautiful scenes from Norway, tempts us with her delicious vegetarian recipes, and delights us with her superb handcrafted and artistic jewelry, scarves, shawls and knitted crafts which she sells in her Etsy and Artfire stores.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I hope everyone is having an enjoyable Summer!

27 comments:

steviewren said...

Pat, I was surprised by how close the picnic tables are to one another on the beach. People must literally have to sit back to back when all the tables are full. I'm not sure I would ever get used to all the people in NY. I thought the same thing in your post about Times Square.

dianasfaria.com said...

thanks for sharing the water taxi beach info. I was wondering what that was all about. What a great idea for people to get a sense of the beach while being in the city.
Have a great weekend!

Willow said...

You always have so much information about Manhattan and NYC. I enjoyed your seven bits of trivia...

Catherine said...

New York City is a box of never ending surprises! Thanks for another great tour. I like colorful flowers too. No rain here for months now, so growing in pots is a must for me.

Tracy said...

Hi, Pat! Loved this fun and delicious post...and always so much info! Very much enjoyed all the trivia and photos. And so glad the package arrived to you safely. That beg of trims looks as in good a shape as the day I sent it. Hope you'll have fun with those. So sweet of you to "promote" my blog and shops... Would you be interesting doing advertizing for me? ;o) Have a terrific weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat!
Hard to believe that in such a metro area they have something as relaxing as a beach. Of all places, in Manhattan.
Never read Twilight Series so my heart doesn't go pitty-pat for the actors!! (Too young for me) LOL!!
Have a great weekend!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

The Quintessential Magpie said...

How fun to see a beach in NYC! Loved this Pat, and poor actor... raking in all of that money and having to deal with adoring fans. Pity! LOL! ;-)

Loved the MeMe and the bag of goodies, too!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Pat, Nothing like sitting on someone else's lap. Those table were close, as you would hear every conversation there was around you. I don't think I would like sharing my lunch and conversation like that. The Robert Patterson post was sweet. My grand daughters would have had their bags and been standing in line also. They just love him. Thanks for sharing today. WOnderful post. Please stop by and say hi. Country Hugs, Sherry

Judy said...

I'll just keep doing NYC tours with you...always lots to see and learn when I travel with you!

I enjoyed the 'seven things you love'...I'm with you on most.

Vee said...

Nice crocs! I like mine for gardening, too. Nice meme as well...you have lots of reasons to enjoy the season. I didn't know that you feed the birds!

Congrats on your win at Tracy's. I will visit on my way out...

Beverly said...

This was a fun post, Pat.

Seafood is my favorite dish to order - always. We eat a lot of seafood at our house, too.

Isn't that Tracy the sweetest?!

supplies overflowing! said...

Thanks for sharing more about yourself. I don't think I have ever met anyone who wished to have a meeting with G.W. That's really pretty interesting!
I too, love to watch the birds at our feeders.
This post was worth the wait.
Your photos are beautiful.
I finally had the chance to go back in time with your posts, and saw that your son and d-i-l hit their 5th year anniversary. Congrats to them! The colors of the dresses, and the flowers were gorgeous! I loved the combinations.
Speaking of congratulations,thanks for yours on my daughter's exam results.
Talk to you soon!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I know those tables are close...but space is at a premium here. It is really mainly a place for young people to gather and meet, mainly in the evening when there is music. I don't think they mind the closeness :-)

There are plenty of big beaches around the boroughs of NYC and there is always Central Park for space to spread out.

If you think this is close you should ride the subways at rush hour...lol!

Joyce said...

My daughter just made me watch that young mans movie (Twilight)and I have to say that he is a cute looking star and I would be standing in the heat waiting for him to come out of his A/C trailer too:)
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I have a post to do on NYC. As I told you earlier my son lived in Kingston 12 years and we went to the city, one time. Started one time before that and got "Lost in Yonkers." yes really. I think I have one picture of the car to car jam. We were actually scared trying to creep through the trucks and 'ladies' on the street. Love you stories though.
QMM

CatHerder said...

Hi Pat! been so busy lately i havent posted...i didnt know there were beaches in Manhattan......hope you are well!

Marg said...

Always seems like a commotion in NY.
Funny how you always seem to be a part of it.
Fun Meme! Good choices.

Loretta said...

Pat, you've inspired me to get a pair of crocs to wear around the house. The Teen loves her but will never be caught dead out of the house with them! I think your blue ones are very cool.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely pier idea. Wish our council would do something similar with the water here so the sea is nearer.

I've not watched Twilight here. As a special treat for son we bought the Inkheart dvd last night but he fell asleep.

What a fun meme. Crocs are trendy here too but one of Laura's friends had weird dot marks on her feet and we were wondering why. It turned out to he her crocs where she was bare footed and living in them on the camp site.

Unknown said...

LOVE the idea and photo of the water taxi beach! such great photos!!

Gina said...

Oh yes...my daughter had just got on the Pattinson bandwagon, after reading Twilight..I must say I can see why too ;)
Love your photos and aren't crocs wonderful, I live in them here..have 7 pairs including the fleecy slippers lol. Hope all is well with you and your lovely family, I can't get over how quickly Leo is growing up!
Another bloggy friend of mine Karin, had a recent trip to NY and did a post on Brooklyn, if you are interested, her photos are so beautiful.
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Futeochinne.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F07%2Fsundays.html&sl=sv&tl=en&history_state0=
Cheers, Gina xx
ps hope the link works, it's translated too :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

Thank you for sharing another fascinating and educational post today. I learn so much when I visit your blog. I did not know the water taxi beach information, and I appreciated your restaurant advice as to where to find good food. It was fun to read the seven bits of trivia about you, and the fun pictures that went with them. Hope you have a relaxing Sunday!

Junie Moon said...

I love the title of your post; it fits so well with summer and all the things that go on during this time. And I enjoyed each of your entries into the hodge podge category. Thank you.

Cynthia Pittmann said...

What a jam packed blog post,Pat. Great photos, won bits, and your 7 favorite things. I think that the Crocs are perfect garden shoes. They probably wash right out. <3

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE that beach shot... it is FAB! I sooo do not see what everyone sees in that Twilight guy and I thought the movie was BORING... yawn yawn!
Your food photos look yummy!!!
ENJOYing your music list!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Ooo...I just want to reach through the screen and tear through that bag of trim, lol!! Great prize.

I love the water taxi beach...I had no idea it was there! I also stumbled onto the Times Square "sit in" on my way home from work when the streets were first closed. Is that wild or what? Of course, the NYer in me thinks it's an accident waiting to happen...there's no way I'd be comfortable in a lawn chair in that intersection!

Hope you're having a good summer...We're crazy busy but good. I actually stayed at my office late tonight to catch up on personal emails and with my bloogy friends -- how sad is this?! ;-)

xo, Laura

Susie Q said...

What a wonderful list Pat! I must say I agree with you on it!

Coming to see you here is almost as good as making the trip to the NYC area...: )

I have actually been to that sweet *secret* garden...your photos brought back a lovely memory!

Love,
Sue