Monday, March 11, 2019

Rosenberg's Bagels and Delicatessen in Denver



When friends in Colorado ask me what I miss the most about not living in New York City, I always tell them that besides family and friends that still live in New York the thing I miss the most is the diversity of the food available in New York City. I'll admit that I am a "foodie" and love to eat and will try almost any cuisine. New York City had a plethora of large and small independent restaurants with almost every cuisine of the world. When we moved to the Denver suburbs we sadly found mainly chain restaurants in our area which were not very enticing. However, as Denver grows in population--over 100,000 people moved to the city in the six years that we've lived here--more independent and unique restaurants have followed. My husband and I look forward every February to the annual Denver Restaurant Week promotion where hundreds of Denver’s top restaurants offer multi-course dinners for three tasty prices: $25, $35 or $45.  We try to pick a few new places to visit each year and have many now that are our favorites, many with international cuisines.


Recently, My husband and I and our daughter visited a deli in the Five Points neighborhood of Denver, which is one of the oldest neighborhoods and one of the fastest growing for Denver in both redevelopment and population. We were there on another errand but realized as lunchtime approached that we were close to Rosenberg's Bagels and Delicatessen, located at 735 East 26th Avenue, Denver. It was a place we heard about but haven't had a chance to visit up to now. Living most of our lives in Brooklyn, New York, we love bagels and all its usual accompaniments and we heard theirs were the best in Denver!



We were not disappointed!

Owner Joshua Pollack was born and raised in the suburbs of New York City. After graduating from high school, he took his love for food and family west, to study at the University of Colorado Boulder, where he met his wife, Kara, who helps him run the deli. Joshua missed classic New York City food and decided to open his own bagel shop and deli, naming it after his mother, Karen Rosenberg Pollack.  Joshua figured out how to replicate the taste of New York City water that makes his daily fresh baked bagels one-of-a-kind in Denver.  They are both soft and chewy--the perfect NY style bagels! He also has fish smoked and cured in house, delicious salads, high-end coffee, pastries and oh, so much more!


Rosenberg's had the look and feel of a New York Bagel shop, with some seating in the back of the store. As we looked at the bagels we immediately felt our gastric juices flowing and our stomachs announcing it was time to eat!  Rosenberg's is open 6AM to 3PM Tuesday through Sunday and has a good variety of bagel sandwiches for breakfast or lunch on their menu--view menu here.


My husband ordered the "Wings of Pastrami" bagel sandwich (photo upper left in the photo) which was shredded pastrami omelet, melted three-cheese blend, served on with his choice of an onion bagel,

I had the "Leo" which was scrambled lox, eggs, and onions, with plain cream cheese on my choice of a whole wheat bagel (photo lower left)

Our daughter had a pumpernickel bagel with a plain cream cheese "schmear" (photo lower right)

My husband and I also shared a Black and White cookie--so good! (photo upper right)  Years ago I posted a New York Times recipe for Black and White Cookie on this linkYou can not be a native New Yorker without having eaten a Black and White cookie at least once in your life!


Rosenberg's also sells a variety of homemade cream cheeses and salad spreads (click on the photo to enlarge)...


...fish such as gravlax, smoked salmon, kippered salmon, sable, smoked sturgeon, smoked whitefish, creamed and pickled herring, and seasonal smoked fish.



 They also sell knishes, kugels, assorted cookies, and other pastries...


...and freshly baked rye bread, and challah loaves and rolls...


...as well as New York style pastrami, corned beef, turkey, habanero bacon, maple smoked bacon and ham. 

Since Jewish kosher dietary laws prohibit the use of pork products and mixing meat and dairy products, Rosenberg's also has another location at 942 S. Monaco Parkway in Denver that is strictly kosher and offers fish and cream cheese spreads, but no meat. Their hours are Sunday-Thursday: 7Am-3PM, Friday: 7 AM- 4PM
and Saturday: Closed.


Of course, we did not just eat bagel sandwiches at Rosenberg's--we also bought a baker's dozen bagels and plain cream cheese to take home with us. What a treat!


Meanwhile, Colorado has had a very cold and snowy winter so far. These deer who paraded through my backyard one day all were wearing their heavier winter furs.



When we drove past the Coors brewery in Golden, Colorado, one day there was lots of steam rising up into the frigid air. 


The Colorado front range has had its share of snow, but the high Rockies has had record-breaking snowfall this winter with avalanche danger the highest it has been for many decades. Sadly, some deaths have occurred from avalanches, including a young man helping to remove snow off a roof in Crested Butte. March is usually Colorado's snowiest month and it can snow well up until June. As you can imagine, many of us are hoping spring weather comes sooner!


You can also find me on 


I'm linking this post to the following blog events:

Amaze Me MondayMosaic Monday, All SeasonsBlue Monday,  Through My Lens Monday, Heart and Soul Link UpInspiration Monday, Blogging GrandmothersHearth, and Soul Link PartyYou Are the Star Blog HopGood Random FunNature NotesGrand SocialTravel Photos, Photo Tunes, Happiness Is HomemadeTuesday TreasuresOur World TuesdayRuby TuesdayTuesdays With A TwistWordless Wednesday on a TuesdaySay Cheese!,  Party in Your PJ'sWordless WednesdayNanahood WWOh My Heartsie Girl's Wonderful Wednesday, Your Whims WednesdayWednesday Around the WorldWonderful Wednesday Little Things Thursday,Thankful ThursdayThursday Encouraging Hearts and HomeThursday Favorite Things,  Pretty Pintastic PartyFriendship FridaysFriday Photo JournalSkywatch Friday, Pink SaturdaySaturday CrittersOver the MoonHappiness Is HomemadeWandering Camera

Bookmark and Share

42 comments:

Little Wandering Wren said...

I'm hoping your Spring is on the way Pat, you have certainly more than had your fill of winter. I must get to Denver one day, it intrigues me, I guess most people I know go for the skiing, I would probably turn up for the food looking at your post!
Wren x

riitta k said...

The Rosenberg's looks delicious! I love gravlax and smoked salmon. No deer here but am sure it is fun to watch them!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I bet you were happy to find that Deli!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I am glad you found a nice deli, one that reminds you of NYC. We have a few deli in the Baltimore area that are great. My hubby loves bagels. I love the corned beef on rye from the NYC deli. Cute photos of the deer. Love the mountain range mosaic, lovely views. Happy Monday, have a great day and new week ahead!

Vee said...

Thanks a lot! Now I am starving for a bagel with cream cheese. Oh my! That all looks so delicious! So glad that those bagels are the real deal. (I know nothing of that as I purchase mine from the grocery store bakery. Weep for me!

Each part of the country comes with its own sad stories... How awful about the young man clearing the roof.

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is almost lunch time here.A bad time to read this post.Now,I'm really getting hungry.The food looks delicious.

ellen b. said...

One thing I missed...a lot...when we moved to Washington state from the Los Angeles area of southern California were all the good Jewish delicatessens. Oye. I'm going to research and see if there are any in Spokane. I wasn't impressed with the ones in Seattle compared to west L.A. Wonderful photos and info and collages, Pat!

Maggid said...

Bagels!!!! Oh, how i miss NY City Bagels . . . Maybe I could drive over to Rosenberg's - looks totally worth it adventure.

Tom said...

...oh my, I just gained a few pounds just looking at these pictures, YUMMMMM!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I like what Tom said...but I was disappointed that we don't have a good bagel place here. We haven't even found a good bakery. I sure miss the bagels though. Sad to hear the deaths from the bad weather. It's been a hard winter in so many ways! Hugs!

Barb said...

I've heard of Rosenberg's, but I've never visited. Do you know if they sell their bagels at Whole Foods? I think my friend told me they do (Whole Foods in Cherry Creek). My grandsons LOVE bagels. I keep them in the freezer for when they visit. Pat, you wouldn't believe the snow we have in Breckenridge. We are running out of space to put it. (And it's snowing again as I write this!) Hope your foot is healed.

William Kendall said...

The deer and landscape shots really appeal to me.

Rambling Woods said...

My husband knows that deli well...

Angie said...

Pat - I had a few ladies over to my house last week, and since all of us are transplants from another state, we were bemoaning the lack of diverse restaurants in our area. But then, we moved here for the remoteness, so we can't have it all! So, I will let my mouth water over those bagels and all the other goodies that Rosenberg's has to offer. (I do think it's curious to replicate New York water - I probably have a negative assumption about water quality there … How does he do that, anyway? Probably a "trade" secret!) Thanks for another wonderful post for Mosaic Monday.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That was a great find ! Your food pictures are excellent! I followed the link back to the black and white cookie post from when you lived in NYC...and both posts are so good and my tummy is growling now! Restaurants near our Oregon home in Eugene are much better than the ones here ... more good ethnic food, more of the kind of restaurants we like ... *not* franchises . You have to work hard to find anything else here.

Lydia C. Lee said...

YOu've got some really beautiful shots there - those snowy vistas are beautiful!

Tanza Erlambang said...

I love the corned beef of deli
thank you for sharing series of beautiful photos

Jeanna said...

An early St. Paddy's to you! I bet you miss all that good food, the only good deli restaurant closed down here, I've got to leave town just to get a schtickle of chopped liver. Those don't look like the kugel we used to make at the temple but I think it was usually a noodle kugel and I really miss it. The last time I had a knish was on a ferry to Liberty Island. If you want to drive yourself crazy (and who doesn't) watch the episode of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel where her ex mispronounces, "kugel" about 100 times!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Pat - I know I would miss the easy accessibility to all the great foods here in the East if I were to move somewhere in the middle of the country. How great that you found that bagel place with all the goodies from New York. I have a hard time resisting an everything bagel with cream cheese.

betty-NZ said...

I'm really happy that you could find a taste of your former life! Here in New Zealand, EVERYTHING tastes different. In fact, I don't eat pork her because--well, you know that bit of anticipation of what it's going to taste like?--here, it doesn't! And, if you can imagine it, bacon only leaves water in the pan, instead of wonderful fat in which to fry your eggs.
But, I can occasionally find bagels in the grocery store. That's always a nice surprise.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Reading your description I could taste that bagel, mmmm. Beautiful photos I'm ready to eat!

Jennifer Wise said...

I am going to have to try this place! I loved Tal Bagels in NYC and it would be so fun to have something similar in Denver. :) Thanks for sharing!
#wonderfulwednesdaybloghop

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Thank goodness, you found Rosenberg's!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely seeing all of your food photographs and I also liked the deer mosaics and the wonderful scenes.

All the best Jan

KB said...

Food looks delish

betty-NZ said...

Thanks a lot for linking up to My Corner of the World!

Lorrie said...

Your deli visit has my mouth watering, and I just finished breakfast! I hope that spring soon appears for you. It's hard to be patient sometimes. It's lovely to have all the bright light reflecting back from the snow at this time of year to brighten the wait.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

There is nothing like a good deli. I have never been to a New York style deli. We have bagel places here and they are good but are nothing like your place.

Just another reason to go to New York, right!?

Have a good weekend!!

Joanne said...

I just love bagels! Sounds like a great place to eat. We are heading to Denver in Sept-- only for one day but I am looking forward to checking out the city... any "must see" ideas for a family with tweens/teens? Thanks so much for sharing with us at Encouraging Hearts and Home. Pinned.

Jim said...

Great post.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

No surprise.... I am really hungry for a bagel right now!! Great post.

Alice V said...

I have yet to try a delicatessen but I'm loving your pics and I'm hungry all over again. Colorado looks beautiful! So sad that a few people have died already from avalanches though. Thanks for linking this post with us at #OMHGWW!

Lady Fi said...

Delicious!

Sharon Wagner said...

Yum! I love carbs.

Michelle said...

We lived in Maryland for many years while my husband worked in DC. I loved all of the food choices in Baltimore and D.C. My favorite bagel is salt with a schmear :). Thanks for linking up.

Al said...

This post made me hungry. We certainly got hit by that bomb cyclone this week!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love your sweet deer. they are so cute. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post today. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you also for visiting my blog.

Bill said...

What a wonderful post. Lots of choices for good food when it comes to a deli. I love bagels but will have to wait until we go to the store next week. I love having cream cheese and smoked salmon on mine.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Have a wonderful weekend.
http://somewhereinirelanddailyphoto.blogspot.com/

handmade by amalia said...

What a great find, everything looks super tasty.
Amalia
xo

Jenn Jilks said...

Beautiful photos of flora and fauna!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Adam Jones said...

Some very good looking deer.

Jeanie said...

Be still, my heart! These bagels looks too wonderful to even imagine!