Sunday, August 15, 2021

Brothers On Three Book Review


 
Thank you to Abe Streep and Celadon Books for the Advance Readers Copy of Brothers On Three in exchange for my review.

Journalist Abe Streep spent three years with the Arlee Warriors, a high school basketball team from the Flathead Indian Reservation in Montana, focusing basically on the stories of Will Mesteth Jr. and Phillip Malatare, two-star players who brought the team to a thrilling win of the state championship.

When I was growing up in inner-city New York in the 1960s there was not much opportunity for girls to play organized sports as there is now, and I was thrilled when my church began to sponsor separate boys and girls basketball teams. Playing basketball not only gave me physical strength but also taught me resilience and being on a team gave me a feeling of belonging. That experience made this story about Will and Phil and the rest of the Arlee Warriors shine in a special way for me. Although our circumstances were different I could understand their self-determination to make their lives better and to overcome the adversity of depression and cluster suicide that was occurring within their community.
One did not have to play basketball or even understand the game to enjoy reading, Brothers On Three, however, because in essence, it is a coming-of-age story of hard work and pride, along with the interesting view of survival on a reservation in the contemporary American West. I appreciated the team's strength in overcoming their adversities and the overall true value of family and community in their lives.  

The on-sale date for this book is September 7th, 2021

#BrothersonThree #CeladonReads #partner @CeladonBooks

You can also find me on





Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Linda W. said...

Thanks for the book review. I'll have to check this one out! I played (or tried to play) basketball in high school. Back in the late 70s in South Dakota there were so few girls interested that I made the team even though I was a terrible player. Although I sat the bench most games, it did teach me the rules of a sport and I liked being part of a team. Sadly now if you're not playing a sport reasonably well by the time you are 10 forget playing in high school. These days, I think a lot of mediocre kids miss out on being part of a team. There's so much more to be gained than just playing the sport.

Jeanie said...

How very interesting, Pat. This isn't a book I would seek out and yet it sounds like it was well worth your reading time.

diane b said...

Sounds an interesting read.

William Kendall said...

Good review, Pat.

Angie said...

Pat - Arlee is 2 hours south of us! A good friend of mine played basketball in eastern Montana, and she once loaned me a video documentary about five basketball teams from Montana's smallest schools (called "Class C"). Having recently moved to Montana at that time, I learned a lot about the culture of Montana, and how much a sports team can mean for these kids who have little else. I will check out this book!

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for the review.

All the best Jan

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Thanks for the recommendation Pat, My husband, who is a great basketball fan, would love this for the sports angle. But I would enjoy reading it too.