Sunday, August 20, 2023

100 Days of Low Carb!


Low carb meals

As of today, I have been eating low-carbohydrate and keto-style meals for 100 days! I began in May, as I was asked by the hospital my doctor is affiliated with to volunteer to participate in a clinical trial for a pre-diabetes study.  I had a routine physical blood test at that time and my A1C level was 6%, which was one of the requirements for being accepted into the trial;

A normal A1C level is below 5.7%, a level of 5.7% to 6.4% indicates prediabetes and a level of 6.5% or more indicates diabetes. Within the 5.7% to 6.4% prediabetes range, the higher your A1C, the greater your risk is for developing type 2 diabetes.

The number of people worldwide with diabetes is projected to more than double in the next three decades, reaching 1.3 billion by 2050, according to research published in The Lancet.

According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 37 million people in the United States have diabetes. Diabetes is a chronic disease that develops when a person’s blood sugar (glucose) level is too high. Ideally, the body converts most of the food you eat into glucose and releases it into your bloodstream, and your pancreas releases insulin, a hormone, to help get the glucose into your cells for energy.  Insulin is a hormone made by the pancreas that helps glucose get into your cells to be used for energy. If you have diabetes, your body doesn’t make enough—or any—insulin or doesn’t use insulin properly. Glucose then stays in your blood and doesn’t reach your cells.


My patio vegetable garden

I love to garden and my husband and I love to eat vegetables of all kinds, but I also loved to bake and cook elaborate meals and found myself gaining weight as my age increased.  I  certainly did not want to develop diabetes, so I eagerly agreed to enter the clinical trial
 and to wear a continuous blood glucose monitor and a Fitbit bracelet to measure my daily steps, both of which were provided to me, and to eat a low-carb diet as part of the program which will end in September.


Low-carb breakfasts--lots of vegetable filled frittatas!

I've learned a lot since beginning this process! First of all, I was astounded by how many products and recipes incorporate large amounts of carbohydrates.  I read labels and made notes and researched many Keto and Low Carb sites on the internet. The medical center also had an RN or dietician call me weekly for the first two months to help answer questions and guide me.  I began to record notes on what foods affected me the most and the effect exercise had on my blood glucose.



Stuffed zucchini blossoms from my garden, made with a ravioli-like filling and covered with tomato sauce, plus a side of low-carb meatballs

I learned that 1g of Net Carbohydrates (total carbs minus fiber) raises blood glucose by about 4 points.  Blood glucose-friendly food choices include non-starchy vegetables, nuts, fish, meats, cheese, eggs, and some fruits.

Costly foods high in carbohydrates that I totally eliminated were potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals, pancakes waffles, crepes, breads bakery goods chips, and crackers. candies, sugar, sugary drinks, dried and canned fruits, bananas, apples, melon, and corn. 

I learned to reduce, replace, substitute, and eliminate. 



When I made a seafood sauce I served my husband's portion over pasta, but mine was served over spiralized zucchini--called zoodles.  When we ate the stuffed zucchini blossoms and low-carb meatballs my husband had his with gnocchi while I ate mine over shredded spaghetti squash. Did I miss the pasta? At first, yes, but as time went on and my weight started to decrease (I've lost over 20 pounds) I realized I was fine with giving up high carb foods for my health.

Diabetes raises the risk of damage to the eyes, kidneys, nerves, and heart. Diabetes is also linked to some types of cancer. Taking steps to prevent or manage diabetes may lower one's risk of developing diabetes health problems.




I learned that I could prepare a meal such as roasted shredded cabbage and kielbasa sausage with pierogies and only eat the sausage and cabbage, and leave the pierogies to other family members. Making good choices for myself and yet not depriving my family of the food they enjoy. 



I also learned that sometimes other family members can also enjoy a low-carb meal, such as zucchini lasagna, homemade cauliflower crust pizza, roasted vegetables and fish, or cheddar and broccoli soup.  My husband and family have been very supportive and have cheered me on this journey.




Exercise is also a big part of controlling blood glucose and realized that the pandemic years were harmful to me as far as reducing my active time outdoors. We have many trails in my neighborhood and I am working on increasing my stamina to do them all.  Happily, my last A1C blood result from a month ago was 5.4 -- totally normal!  

Through my participation in the clinical trial program, I have learned the importance of "Glucose Everyday Matters." This is not simply a diet and exercise program, but rather a lifestyle that I will be adopting moving forward.



35 comments:

Buttercup said...

Great post and great results. I did a low carb lifestyle for about five years, but drifted off it in the pandemic. No surprise my weight has been tougher to manage. In this past week -- after a vacation week away -- I realized I need to get back to counting carbs, which really wasn't that difficult to do when I was consistent about it. I've cut out the refined sugar that had crept back and this week will return to berries and not higher carb fruits. Thanks for the inspiration!

Good health is a gift we can give ourselves.

eileeninmd said...

Congrats Pat, on your weight loss. You are doing great learning what foods are good to eat. It is nice to know you do not miss the pasta and other items you have cut out. Best wishes on your new lifestyle and on the program. Take care, have a wonderful week!

Ciao Chow Lindaa said...

Brava Pat. I commend you on your tenacity to follow this diet. I need to do something similar, but have little willpower for cutting out pasta, pizza and pastries/cakes. But you're inspiring me to cut back at least.

ellen b. said...

Good job on your 100 day journey! I like how you incorporated dished for you and your family to enjoy. All the food you showed looks good. It really is interesting to read labels and see how much sugar is added to so many things!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's a great way to find out the benefits of this diet. I eat 'lower' carbs but could do better on that part. I don't eat any sugar and I know that helps me with my good health. Lots of yummy recipes for Keto desserts online. Of course they are high in calories so you have to eat small portions. I'm going to make KETO oatmeal cookies today. I'm proud of you! Hugs, Diane

Anonymous said...

Well done, Pat! I ate low carb for several years but have added more carbs over time and it shows. Time to get back to low carb!
Lorrie from Fabric Paper Thread

Stacey said...

I'm so glad you've had encouraging results! This is something we very much need to work on here in our house. My husband has been prediabetic for a couple of years. I am 60 now and slowly the weight is creeping on. I agree with you that the pandemic caused many of us to move less...it certainly did that for me.

Stacey said...

Oh, I should have said, I hope you'll share some of your healthy recipes.

NCSue said...

Wow - looks like a bunch of truly scrumptious meals!
Thanks so much for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/08/a-foggy-morning-on-kanawha-river-in.html

stevebethere said...

What fab photos love all that food looks delicious I might go low carb heheh!:-)

Have a lowcarbtastic week 👍

Rambling Woods said...

Oh wonderful program with all the produce from the garden...beautiful post...Michelle

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Way to go Pat for actively addressing a very important health issue! I have been eating low carb for eight years since my A1C was 6.1 when I got started facing up to the fact that I needed to do something as well. I have lost a lot of weight and my A1C is normal now as well! I do hope more and more doctors preach that low carb may help many that will face serious health issues. Your meals look wonderful and I'm sure you do as well!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

This is wonderful Pat! Our family has seen the happy effects of eating a lower carbohydrate diet, and elimination of diabetes too! It's incredible! It's the best treatment for diabetes - just knowledge about how carbs work, and incorporating foods that keep the blood sugar glucose at a more stable level. Unfortunately, processed foods spike the blood glucose, and that is what is so readily available to eat everywhere. Great work - a loss of 20 pounds is amazing! Congratulations! Blessings to you :)

Esmé Slabbert said...

What an incredible achievement and well done and happy for you that you had the support and help from all involved.
I visited you via Tuesdays with a Twist #539!
I linked up this week with = 24 and this is a friendly reminder to come and join us at SeniorSalonPitStop. You will find the linkup information under BLOGGING

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

So much beautiful food that it was hard to look at the skies! Now I'm starving.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's awesome! Impressive that a simple dietary change can have such a big impact on your A1C. For the first time in my life, I find myself a little overweight and on a diet. I guess I should count my blessing since I've been thin my entire life until recently.

Lowcarb team member said...

Very well done Pat... and you are quite right in saying this is a lifestyle not a diet.
Wishing you happy and healthy days ahead.

All the best Jan

Marie Renello said...

You’re an inspiration Pat, and you really stuck to it, I commend you for that alone! 20 pounds is alot, congrats to you and the best part is you’re in the normal range!

Photo Cache said...

Good for you. Hope you get all the benefits you aspire from this. I have been doing something like this too. I have so far shed 44 lbs. I am 6 lbs away from my weight goal. Hardest to shed the last 10 lbs.

Worth a Thousand Words

EricaSta said...

Yessssss, we love this food too. But without the clam because I had a fish poisoning.

You are very welcome with your Post at
MosaicMonday.

Have a good time, hugs by Heidrun

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Wow you are doing amazing. Everything looks so tasty. It's great that you've found alternatives to your favorite higher carb foods.

Linda said...

Congratulations! This is an important study. I know there are powers in the food industry that will try to discredit it, but it has the potential to help many people.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Good for you, one's diet does count!! My wife is a lot more careful than I am.

Light and Voices said...

I am admiring you for your courage to stay with the diet. Diabetes is a horrible disease. I was a caretaker for my husband, John, who had diabetes. He lost a toe on his left foot to diabetes. I needed the reminder for me to watch my diet also. Thank you for that gift.

William Kendall said...

Good for you!

Joanne said...

Congrats on the weight-loss; your meals look delicious! I have been reading a lot about how sugar is added to pretty much all processed foods and how that affects our bodies. Books like Glucose Revolution and I Gave Up Sugar are inspiring me to make better choices more often since I know there is a family history of diabetes that I've been trying to avoid myself.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

A fascinating post absolutely filled with yummy food!

Barb said...

I think I'd love low carb if you would be my personal chef, Pat. During the pandemic, I think I ate more comfort food and then during my ankle injury and rehab, I was more sedentary. At 79, it didn't take long to start gaining weight. I'm back to a more healthy lifestyle again, though I still love carbs too much! I applaud you for your success in regaining good health.

Tom said...

...I did the same thing several years ago and I lost a lot of weight. But staying on it forever was impossible and I gained the weight back. Losing it is easy, keeping off is hard.

Tom said...

...losing weight is easy, keeping it off is quite another matter.

XmasDolly said...

Well, I loved the recipes and it looks so delicious I've got to try coleslaw! Would you believe I've never made homemade & I love coleslaw, but those... oh hell, everything looks so GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing! YUM

Veronica Lee said...

Congrats on your weight loss, Pat.
Your meals look amazing!

Hugs and blessings

Michelle said...

Congrats on the weight loss! It is difficult, but I have found low carb to also be helpful and I feel better.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This is great Pat ! Thanks for the information and the hints and for providing the link in your latest post. Somehow I missed this earlier. We have both gained a bit and lost some muscle tone since Covid so it's high time to start watching things more carefully. Very nice that you could be part of this study!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that!