Monday, November 6, 2023

A Trip to Ireland and Scotland


Autumn scenes in Ireland

 When I stated that I was taking a break in my last blog post a few weeks ago I said I was going to "take time to watch the leaves fall." What I did not mention then was that I was going to experience autumn in Ireland and Scotland!  My husband and I and my sister-in-law and brother-in-law took a two-week Cosmos bus tour called "Highlights of Ireland and Scotland," at the end of October.  We all had a wonderful time and met the nicest people. I've been fortunate to have visited Ireland many times in the past. One of my sister-in-laws was born and raised in County Cork and my husband and I have met her family over the years on trips to Ireland. plus my husband had a few business trips in Belfast Northern Ireland. If interested you can read the total of 37 posts I wrote about those visits under this blog tag: Ireland.  This was the first time I visited Scotland, however, and I was very excited to finally see it!



"In Dublin's fair city
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheelbarrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying, "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh!"
Alive, alive, oh
Alive, alive, oh
Crying, "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh"

We arrived a day earlier than our scheduled tour and had a fun day walking around Dublin and taking the "Hop On and Hop Off" bus.  A landmark we were excited to see was the statue of Molly Malone. My husband and I were confused that she was no longer located on Grafton Street, where we had seen her in the past, but she had to be moved to a new location when Dublin installed a light rail system on Grafton. Dublin was certainly busier and had more commuters than we last saw years ago. She is a very modern bustling city!  I guess it is pretty evident looking at the statue what part of Molly is considered "good luck" to rub!  "Molly Malone" (also known as "Cockles and Mussels" or "In Dublin's Fair City") is a popular song set in Dublin, Ireland, which has become its unofficial anthem.



Another Dublin icon is the Guinness Brewery! 

The day we arrived in Dublin the aftereffects of Storm Babet were still being felt as it rained heavily almost all day. I braved sitting on the top of the Hop On Hop Off bus wearing a rain poncho to take photos. You can see the gloomy rainy skies in my photos. Sadly, areas in County Cork and the east coast of Scotland suffered flooding from the storm.



Views of the famous Ha'penny Bridge in Dublin.



Dublin's Phoenix Park was aglow in autumn beauty! 

 The home of the President of Ireland is located in Phonix Park. The house was built in 1751, and it is nicknamed "The Irish White House" due to its resemblance to the US White House in Washington DC.


We also visited Dublin Castle

"Constructed in the early thirteenth century on the site of a Viking settlement, Dublin Castle served for centuries as the headquarters of English, and later British, administration in Ireland. In 1922, following Ireland’s independence, Dublin Castle was handed over to the new Irish government. It is now a major government complex and a key tourist attraction."



"Built on the site where Saint Patrick baptized Christian converts nearly over 1500 years ago, this holy site has been a place of spiritual encounter for countless generations."




Random photos of Dublin. 

We enjoyed exploring the city again over two days!


As a tour excursion on our last day in Dublin, we attended the Taylor Irish Cabaret. It consisted of a three-course dinner, a drink, and an Irish Coffee, with a wonderful musical and dance production afterward.  If you'd like to see the Irish dancers you can see them on a reel on my Mille Fiori Facebook page at this link. To hear a song by Rob Vicker--an Irish tenor, and hear traditional music click on this reel link.  Make sure to turn on the sound with the speaker in the upper right corner of each reel.

We have many stops ahead on our tour of Ireland and Scotland and I'd love to show you some highlights in my upcoming posts. Please join me again to see them.

You can also find me on:

37 comments:

Rain said...

I've been following your journey on IG Pat, I love seeing all of the photos!

EricaSta said...

Oh what a great, great pleasur. I love Ireland and especially Dublin. Of course the many pubs but the lifestyle in a modern way.

There are many other interestings things here to see, to read. I enjoyed your post.

Thank you for sharing and being part at
MosaicMonday.

Have a wonderful week.
hugs by Heidrun

ellen b. said...

I continue to enjoy your views of Dublin.

Linda said...

I'm loving your trip!!! I've never been to Ireland before but we spent December 2009 in Aberdeen, Scotland!

Linda W. said...

I visited Ireland last spring and had a wonderful time. Looking at your photos brings back all my happy memories.

Barbara Rogers said...

What fun, definitely experiencing fall in Ireland and Scotland! Umbrellas needed sometimes.

Barb said...

Beautiful photos of Ireland,Pat. Sounds as though you had a great time.

Lydia C. Lee said...

Poor Molly Malone, you can see what people have been polishing (hopefully for luck!). Love that you caught live music. Lovely stuff. #BlueMonday

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely selection of photos, I've never been to Dublin!

Cloudia said...

A lovely ramble. Thanks! Aloha

stevebethere said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your pics I ben to Edinburgh years ago but not been to Ireland thanks for sharing interesting too :-)

Have a triptastic week 👍

Rambling Woods said...

Oh what a lovely trip..I have been to both but only as a child and would love to go back...Michelle

Jeanie said...

I absolutely can't wait to hear more and I hope you write these posts fast because they're that good! Rick and I are hoping to add Ireland -- or at least Dublin and perhaps beyond -- and also, possibly, Scotland to our UK trip in May so I'll be following these closely for all your best recommendations!

Linda said...

Great collages. Well organized and very colorful.

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

Thank you for showing me...

NCSue said...

I admit I'm a wee bit jealous of your trip!
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/11/last-post-from-longwood-gardens-for.html

Tom said...

...you had so many wow moments on this trip. I'm glad that you had your umbrella. Thanks for taking me along to see the sights.

Maria said...

Your trip was Amazing! I am in aww of St. Patrick's Cathedral. I've been to the one in NY city which is also beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at this weeks Senior Salon Pit Stop
Hugs,
Maria

magiceye said...

Beautifully captured in pictures and words!

laura said...

HI Pat,
OH my gosh! We are going to Ireland and Scottland next spring for my husband's birthday. We went to Ireland just before Covid and had a great time.
I was visiting your blog because we are headed to NYC for Thanksgiving with our youngest.xo laura

Veronica Lee said...

I am enjoying your trip.
I hope to visit Ireland someday.
Gorgeous photos, Pat!

Joanne said...

Oh wow; that sounds like wonderful trip (despite the rain-- we had a really rainy fall too so I can relate!).

carol l mckenna said...

Such an awesome trip for you and gorgeous photography for us ~ thanks,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Penelope Notes said...

These heritage buildings are loaded with charm, as are your umbrella pics. :)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

A great trip you had and I'm glad that you took so many photos.

You made me laugh on what part of Molly people like to rub most. Of course it would be that way. We in Oklahoma are so backward. We have a bust of Will Rogers at the airport and people rub his nose the most.

Looking forward to more posts.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I've never been, so thanks for sharing your trip. Looks wonderful!

Joyful said...

Very beautiful. I've always wanted to travel to that part of the world but haven't yet been able.

Photo Cache said...

What a great trip it must have been. The foliage are to die for.

Worth a Thousand Words

Angie said...

Pat - I have been away from blogging for almost six months - wow! I am deriving lots of enjoyment from visiting my blogging buddies and seeing what they have been up to. Lovely shots of Dublin - I was there almost a decade ago on a family vacation. One of the highlights was going to the pub and witnessing local musicians that entertained all of us just doing what they love!

If you have a minute, check out my blog for my latest post. Have a terrific weekend!

diane b said...

What a fun trip you had. The post brought back memories of our trip there.

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a fantastic trip and beautiful fall colors.
I loved Ireland and Dublin. A great place to visit.
Take care, have a great weekend!

Light and Voices said...

Revival of memories filled my mind looking at these photographs posted this week. It certainly looks like you two are enjoying the trip again. Yea! Looking forward to pix of Scotland.

Maria said...

Thank you for sharing your post at the Senior Salon Pit Stop! I'm excited to be featuring you at Monday’s party. Congrats! Pinned
Hugs,
Maria @ kraftyplanner.com

Kinga K. said...

Nice journey, great cathedral :D

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

What a wonderful trip to Ireland. I enjoy hearing about your trip and looking at the photos. I went many years ago and visited some of the same places as you.
Thanks for the blog visit and I hope you enjoy the rest of the week.

William Kendall said...

What a trip!

April J Harris said...

I really enjoyed reading about the adventures you and your husband had on this trip, Pat! Thank you for sharing with Hearth and Soul. I've featured your post at the party this month. Happy December!