Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Blueberry Tart

Blueberries
source
One of the treasures of summer is fresh berries -- raspberries, blackberries, loganberries, gooseberries, currents, and my personal favorite, blueberries!

I have fond memories of going blueberry picking with my parents in a hilly region of Pennsylvania, near the town where my grandmother lived. We'd bring along our little tin buckets to fill to the top with the bluest and biggest berries so we could bring them back to my grandmother's house so that she could make blueberry pies.
I think my method of picking the berries was one for my mouth, one for the bucket, enjoying them all until I was full of their sweet and slightly tart flavor.
Since then I am always happy when blueberries come into season, and I love to use them in baking.
The July 8 issue of Women's Day arrived in my mailbox yesterday with the most delicious recipe for a blueberry tart!
Here is how it looked when I made it today, and it was absolutely delicious!


BLUEBERRY TART

COOKING TIME:

Active Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 1 hour
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut up
1 Tbsp white vinegar
5 cups blueberries
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp almond extract
Confectioners' sugar

PREPARATION:

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-in. square or round tart pan with a removable bottom with nonstick spray.
2. Pulse 1 cup flour, 2 Tbsp sugar and the salt in food processor until blended. Add butter; pulse just until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle with vinegar; pulse just until blended. Turn out the dough and bring together with fingers.
3. Press dough into the bottom of tart pan. Top with 3 cups berries. Mix remaining 2 Tbsp flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and cinnamon in medium bowl. Evenly sprinkle over berries; drizzle with almond extract.
4. Bake tart 50 to 60 minutes until bubbly. Remove from oven and top with remaining 2 cups blueberries. Let cool in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tip: The tart can be made a day ahead. Once cooled, loosen it from the pan so it won't stick when you're ready to serve.
From Woman's Day July 8, 2008


The magazine called it "the quintessential summer dessert recipe" and that they "guarantee it will be a family favorite." I think they are right! Bookmark and Share

30 comments:

nanatrish said...

What a beautiful pie! How did it taste? It could be on the cover of Gourmet. You have made a glorious creation! Yummy!

steviewren said...

Mmmmm, it looks so good. I miss not having anyone but myself to cook for. It hardly seems like going to the effort most of the time. Making something yummy like this would be dangerous because I would HAVE to eat it all myself. Enjoy it for me!

Kathleen Grace said...

Store bought blueberries can't compare to the ones you pick fresh yourself! Oh, that looks so good!

Unknown said...

That looks so good. Thanks for sharing!

Tess Kincaid said...

Lots of berry recipes around the bloggyhood. Umm...this one looks absolutely dee-lish, Pat!

Betsy Brock said...

Your pie is magazine-cover worthy! Yum!

Kathy said...

Good morning Pat, Is there no end to your many talents, This Blueberry Tart looks so good I can taste it. We used to pick berries from our garden and take them to all the elderly neighbors’ in little wicker baskets with red napkins, before we moved to an apartment with no garden. I had forgotten about that, so thanks for bringing that memory back to me. enjoy, hugs, Kathy.

Lenka said...

Aww... I want it! Your pie looks so yummy, I am drooling...

Dorothy said...

My oh my....Pat, that looks wonderful. We picked blueberries when I lived in Pa, during my high school years...I think they may have been wild blueberries...I may just combine them with some Georgia peaches for a nice fruit salad...:)

Kathy said...

Me again Pat, It's not my birthday today, me and Paddington share the same year but not the same day, thanks anyway, oh!!. maybe I should have said yes it is my birthday, you might have sent me a slice of this yummy tart...... hugs, Kathy.
ps Hope you took part in the S&S poll!.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks so good! Our blueberries are still really, really expensive here--it would cost close to $20 to make that pie. But, my mouth is watering over your great photos!

Barb said...

I remember picking blueberries as a kid. So much fun. I think I ate more than I picked. The tart look so yummy! Have some for me please.

hugs to you,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that looks good.

When you said it was delicious, did that mean you didn't save any for me?

Louise said...

Your blueberry tart looks absolutely delicious Pat. I have some summer treasures ripening in my garden at this very minute, strawberries, raspberries, red and blackcurrants and gooseberries. I must get around to making a summer pudding. I hope you had lashings of cream to accompany your lovely tart? x

Marg said...

This looks so yummy.
I love blue berries and make many recipes. I just checked and I have all the right ingredients.
I'm posting about berries tomorrow.

I think my email stuff is cleaned up.
I hope you will resend if it was important.

{oc cottage} said...

That looks too pretty to eat!

M ^..^

Alexandra MacVean said...

Hi Pat...I came across your blog via another individual. I really enjoyed reading through the things you shared.

I especially like your blueberry blog. I have fond memories of berry picking when I was a little girl..but it was for strawberries.

Nevertheless, berries are good and so are the sweet memories that come with it! :)

If you don't mind, I'd love to add your blog to my site for others to enjoy as well.

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Yummy, PAT!! If you tell me that tart lasted more than a day in your house, I won't believe you. I would have had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! HA!

Unknown said...

woohoo Pat!

I want a few slices of those tart!! Thanks to you, there goes my diet for today! Me - lousy in baking, but we dont have blueberry tart that huge over here, only mini ones!! Fresh blueberries are all imported, extremely expensive and in very small quantity.

Tks for sharing the recipe...maybe one of those days when I take out my rusty baking pan and hopefully i dont burn the oven.

big hug to you and happy weekend ;d

Joanne Kennedy said...

Blueberries! YUMMY! I love them. In fact I had blueberry pancakes today. I've never had fresh picked ones though. I bet they taste wonderful.

I do have a friend who has a huge blackberry bush and I'm going over Sat to pick those so I can make jam. I'll be blogging about that soon. I can't wait.

Don't tell but, I'm going to sneak in a few extras just to eat when I get home.

Hugs,
Joanne

CatHerder said...

YUM!!! I made banana blueberry bread yesterday, but that tart looks amazing!

Lavinia said...

Make mine a great big slice...this looks fantastic, and bursting with blueberry flavour...Yum!

Vee said...

How lovely and since blueberry is my favorite...how long do you suppose it'll be before a bake this tart? About the end of July I hope when the berries are local and fresh. We're paying $4.99 a quart for local strawberries. Hope it's not the same for blueberries.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I was staring at you tart and listening to Bocelli, it was a match made in heaven!!

Gina said...

Yummo Pat!! I am drooling :) Gx

Lore said...

Looks soooooo good! I love berry desserts, they rock!

Michelle said...

I'm new here and will definitely be coming back. Can't wait to try this blueberry tart recipe.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love all pies where I can press the dough into the tart pan...my kind of pie:D

Firefly Nights said...

We just bought a bunch of blueberries and this looks great. Thanks for posting it.

Unknown said...

WYMAN'S WILD frozen blueberries are $4 in my local Shaw's for 15 oz.