Sunday, June 1, 2008

Carrick-A Rede, County Antrim



Carrick-A-Rede means "Rock In The Road." The road is the sea route for Atlantic salmon on their westward journey past Carrick Island. For over 350 years, fishermen have strung a rope bridge 80 feet above the sea to allow them to access the best places to catch the migrating salmon. Crossed regularly by local fishermen, the bridge now presents a challenge to thousands of visitors each year who come to enjoy the same views and high thrills.

The path from the reception area is one kilometer.


There are stunning views along the way.



We approach the rope bridge area and see it for the first time! The bridge is made of planks strung between wires and hangs over a 65-foot chasm.


My husband walks over it first -- it wobbles and twists as soon as you step onto it! Only about 8 people are allowed on the bridge at any time, and it's not a place you'd want to linger that long on, as the safe ground is calling on the other side



Some views of Carrick Island:





Rathlin Island and Scotland are in the distance.



It was quite windy on Carrick Island as you can see by my wild tresses.


We explored the whole island and enjoyed its peacefulness and views.



It's time to return to the bus, so we have to make the trip back over the rope bridge. Our guide told us that some people actually can not face walking back over the bridge, and have to be taken off the island by boat!


The wind really picked up when we were on the bridge going back! I was holding on for dear life!


I still can't believe we walked over this!



A final distant view of Carrick-A-Rede.




Next blog entry we'll continue along the Antrim coast and visit the world's oldest whiskey distillery.


21 comments:

Kathleen Grace said...

A beautiful island Pat, and I am so glad you shared it because I would never see it in person if I had to cross that bridge! Yes, I'm afraid of heights, just looking at it nearly makes me queasy. Especially the picture of the wind blowing while you were on it. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Stunning pictures, Pat.

I can't believe you walked over that bridge. There is a rope bridge at Grandfather's Mountain in North Carolina. I walked on it once, thought I was going to die, and will never do it again. And, I don't even have a picture to prove I did it.

I become less brave the older I get. ;-)

Vee said...

I just left DeeDee's blog where she posted yellow flowers against a blue, blue sky and I arrive here to see the same. Lovely!

Can't believe that you walked across that bridge either. It looks plenty scary. Brave girl! Brave hubby! I might have been one who'd have taken the boat. :D

Tara said...

Yikes, Pat, I am not sure I could have done it! You were really swaying!
:0)
TARA

Just A Girl said...

Hi Pat,

What beautiful scenery! I think I might be one of those people who would have to be rowed back. That lovely little bridge looks a bit precarious. Can't wait till the next post. I love seeing Ireland though your eyes.

Anonymous said...

You are a brave soul,but now you can say 'I did it'. The photos are amazing. What a terrific chance in a lifetime. I am sure I could not have been so brave. You go girl!

Come and visit me,Jeanne

Tess Kincaid said...

Beautiful! I especially like the one of you on Carrick Island!! :)

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Absolutely breathtaking, Pat!

Joanne Kennedy said...

OMG, I was getting scared just looking at the pictures of that bridge. I don't know if I would be able to have crossed that bridge myself. But wow! It sure is beautiful there.

Joanne

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Youe brave woman you! I would have walked the bridge too. That island is beautiful...Thanks for showing me all of this beauty!
Hugs,
Penny

Unknown said...

Fantastic pictures Pat, dont know if i'll cross the bridge as I hate heights. cant wait to see the rest :)

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Oh Pat, what a trooper you are! That had to be pretty scary on the bridge! I can't imagine doing that, you are a brave girl by golly!!
I must say you look absolutely at home sitting on the hillside as if you belong there in Ireland. The scenery is breathtaking in the photos, I can't imagine what it must be like in person.
Thank you Pat for taking us on journeys we would never see like this. We LOVE it!
Hugs, Sherry

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Pat!

Yes, the banner is my sweet Aunt Edie and my mom, Marie, standing. I did a post on May 21st introducing them. I love the photo and am so happy to have it. My mom had given me all the old family photos which fill a tub, a real treasure chest to me!!
Misty was sitting on her pillow in family room as many princess' do! LOL She's a character! The weenies sometimes are too "animated" for her.
Hugs, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Your Ireland tour continues to be a great one. That bridge is a tad spooky to me--you were a real trooper. The scenery is just magnificent.

Judy said...

This may be as close to ireland as I ever get! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh your music and pictures work together so beautifully. I so enjoyed my walk across the bridge. . .the wind did look a bit scarry. . Thanks for the walk about.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I would sit there for hours and take in the view, but probably not cross that bridge! I'm a chicken with heights!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Too beautiful for words!

Junie Moon said...

It's all so very beautiful! I've been on the bridge at Grandfather Mountain as mentioned in a comment by Beverly and just about had a stroke. I'm height-challenged but I did manage to make the crossing over and back. Anyway, this trip of yours is fantastic and I'm enjoying your travelogue.

Rue said...

Not for all of Bill Gates money would I cross that bridge! Holy Moly!! I have a new respect for you Pat ;)

It is beautiful though!

still reading....
rue

diane b said...

I can see why you wouldn't want to do it again.