Monday, September 29, 2008

September Daring Baker ~ Lavash Crackers

This month's Daring Bakers Challenge was to make Lavash Crackers from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering The Art of Extraordinary Bread cookbook, and also to create a dip/spread/salsa/relish to accompany it as long as they were vegan and gluten free!

Our hosts this month are alternative Daring Bakers, Natalie from Gluten A Go Go, and Shel, from Musings From The Fish Bowl. Please refer to their blogs for the Lavash cracker. They have non gluten free and gluten free versions of the recipe posted.

I followed the non gluten free version, and created whole wheat herb crackers, using fresh rosemary and thyme from my garden. This was the first time I made crackers, and they were fun to make, and fun to eat!

I decided to make three easy dips to accompany the crackers -- Roasted Sweet Red Pepper Dip, White Bean Dip, and Fresh Tomato Salsa.


First, I roasted four red peppers on a cookie sheet in my oven at 375 degrees, turning them from time to time until they were wilted soft and the skins were charred. I also roasted three large cloves of garlic at the same time.

After the peppers were roasted, cooled, the peels and seeds were discarded, and I whirled the red flesh in my food processor along with one of the roasted garlic cloves, a little dash of salt and about 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Pour into a container to serve. That's it!

Then I opened a can of cannelini ( soft pre cooked white beans), drained it, added it to the food processor without even cleaning it from whirling the red pepper, and added second clove of roasted garlic, and some fresh rosemary, oregano, and basil and a dash of salt and pepper and a 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil --gave it all a whirl and pored it into a container to serve! It couldn't be easier!

The Tomato Salsa is four chopped fresh tomatoes from my garden, a chopped red onion, the third roasted garlic clove chopped, chopped fresh basil, oregano, a dash of salt and a chopped red jalapeno pepper from my garden. Mix well and add 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, or to taste. Place all in container and enjoy!

Buon Appetito!

If you would like to see wonderful versions of the crackers and dips on other Daring Bakers web sites today, check the Daring Bakers blogroll! There is also an open forum for general baking discussions here, but you have to be a member of Daring Bakers in order to register to log in for each month's challenge and discussions regarding it.
If you think you are up to taking the monthly challenge instructions are on the blog as to how to join! Don't delay, as there is only a 24 hour time limit to join evey month for the next month's challenge!

There is even an "Alternative Daring Baking group for gluten-free, lactose intolerant, allergy, vegetarians, vegans and bakers who use alternate ingredients due to other health concerns or life styles."


I hope to see you all doing the October Daring Baker Challenge!

32 comments:

Fifi Flowers said...

I adore dips! I could eat them breakfast, lunch and dinner! Those look tasty too!

Vee said...

Wowzer! I don't know anybody who has made crackers...I feel so honored. Everything looks so scrumptious!

Just A Girl said...

Hi Pat,
Your crackers look so cute and tasty at the same time. Were they difficult?
I hope you have a fun day!
XO Cori

Proud Italian Cook said...

You did an absolutely beautiful job here Pat! Your crackers are so cute and the dips are yummy, each one of them. I especially love how quick you can get them all together.
Great for a party! This was a fun and easy challenge. ( for a change!)Don't feel bad I waited and procrastinated till the very last day. I'm sure you did yours way ahead of time but just forgot the date. Love the fall scene too in your photo!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Yummo!! Those crackers and dips look soooo good! Great job!

And your sweet post before this one brought tears to my eyes :-)
Hugs,
Penny

Anonymous said...

Happy Monday, Pat. I hope you are feeling better.

Girl, you are so smart. These look too yummy, and I love the star shape.

Baby Vagabond said...

Yummy! I would be all over that snack ..... and how perfect that you made the crackers. I'll be passing on the links to Lola's Mom. She the fabulous cook and experimenter in the family :-)

:-) Rosie

Willow said...

I am impressed! Crackers! That's one food item I've never tried to make.

I am going to make the polenta dish this evening! I hope it turns out as yummy as yours!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

This really looks delicious! I can only imagine how great homemade crackers would taste!!

Camille said...

Pat,
Your crackers look yummy and
I really like the shapes you made!

I wouldn't worry about posting late...better late than never. I was a bad Daring Baker this month. I didn't use the recipe, but found one I liked better. Not exactly in the spirit, but I have some hungry men to feed and I know what they like.

Camille

enza said...

those dips are one of my favourite in this challenge.
maybe I'd add some white vinegar to the pepper one...maybe.
nice job!

Anonymous said...

Love the dips! Thanks so much for sharing all of this. On my way to view the websites you shared.

Anonymous said...

Those look so yummy Pat. Well done- the star shape is so unusual and pretty.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Three dips Pat...it sounds as though you really enjoyed this months challenge...so did I:D

Tracy said...

This is wonderful! I would eat these, and I can eat anything...happily, luckily!...mmm...One of my SILs is gluten intolerant, so having such recipes is geat for when we have family at our house, so she can have all the fun of food too! Thanks for sharing, Pat! Happy Day ((HUGS)) Oh, if you get a chance to stop by--I'm having a fun giveaway this week :o)

Nola said...

Those crackers and dips are making me hungry already, and I just had breakfast. They look delish! I will go check out the other sites!

Rue said...

Hi Pat :)

I am officially starving now LOL That looks really yummy!!

I love the music you have playing now. It's so soothing :)

I'm so sorry you had to go the the evil dentist office too. I don't care how nice they are, it still hurts LOL

hugs,
rue

Judy said...

Yummmm! I haven't had breakfast yet...but I'm going in search of crackers and salsa. They won't be nearly as tasy as yours...or as pretty!

Picket said...

Girl you are my hero...I have never heard of anybody making crackers...is there nothing you can't do! lol lol Have a great day girl!

Darius T. Williams said...

Everyone has done such a great job - really! This is really good.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Alexandra MacVean said...

WOw...I didn't know anybody who could make crackers. How cool. You rock!! :) PS I like the pupkin placemat underneath the crackers, too!

Strider said...

I'm in on the bread action. I'll be the judge. Send all samples to Strider...after gaining 50 additional pounds...I'll announce the winner!!!!

steviewren said...

Mmmm, more good food in Brooklyn! Your cracker's look professional. Excellent job!

Have fun on your getaway! Soak up the rays, and read some beach romances. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow! And I thought I was daring for just attempting to make some muffins every week!

Those crackers look great. I'll try to get up the nerve to try my hand at them.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

I'm very impressed, making crackers. I've never been brave enough to tackel them, they look delish. You're a very good cook, I can tell just be looking at them!
Rhonda

Willow said...

Pat, The polenta dish was a smashing success here at Willow's Cottage! It has been declared a 'keeper'. No photos, unfortunately. We just dug in to the casserole and started eating!

Anonymous said...

I love Lavash Crackers--isn't there such a thing as Lavash Bread (a great big cracker?). I've purchased the huge one (cracker) before and followed a recipe on the back for making a Lavash Strudel! It is yummy.

Anyway, YOUR crackers look yummier!

YOU are such a terrific cook---and photographer---and tour guide! I keep tellin ya--you need to open a restaurant in the NYC area and offer tours! You'd be a zillionaire in no time flat, cuz all of us blog fans of yours would be paying you visits--eating your food, taking your tours, buying your souvenir photographic t-shirts and note cards and coffee cups!
Yes, I know you are retired, but look at this big old door of opportunity that could be opening for you! I am serious--you just offer up the bestest of food and travel experiences!
I feel like I've taken a little trip every time I visit you!
Dana

Gina said...

Wow your lavash and dips looks so scrummy Pat..esp the red pepper one!! Hope you and your DH have a wonderful little trip, take care Gxx

Lavinia said...

Everything here looks wonderfully delicious.....

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Oh my gosh! Those all look sooooo good!! I would love those cracker smeared with pesto too!!! I'm hungry;D

Kathy said...

your crackers and dip look wonderful Pat, I like the star shaped ones, I am a dip fan too. hugs, Kathy

? said...

Dear Pat,
I love your blog although its my first time on here and I'm glad I found it! What words do you need to describe these pictures? Hope you will find me through this trail.
My respects and compliments and I would like to return here as one of your regular reader.
R.E.