Thursday, June 6, 2013

Andrea Bocelli at the Denver Pepsi Center




Now that the nice weather is here to stay, and our new lives living in Colorado are a little less hectic, my husband and I want to take advantage of all the wonderful concert and entertainment venues that the greater Denver area has to offer. As a treat for my upcoming "special" birthday, my dear husband surprised me with tickets to see Andrea Bocelli perform at Denver's Pepsi Center

The Pepsi Center, located at 1000 Chopper Circle in Denver, Colorado, is home to the Denver Nuggets (basketball team), the Colorado Avalanche ( hockey team ) and the Colorado Mammoth (Lacrosse team). The Center also hosts about 200 varied entertainment events--concerts, ice shows, circus, family entertainment, etc.

 Almost directly across the street from the Pepsi center is Brooklyn's, a large, nostalgic looking bar and grill.  Of course I had to go over to check it out, since I was a native of Brooklyn, NY.  It is a wonderful place to get a pre-show drink, appetizer, burger or sandwich, etc. I've learned it is one of a few different Brooklyn's located in Denver.



Entering the Pepsi Center, my excitement builds. I have all of his CD's but this is the first time I have seen him perform live! Andrea Bocelli performed songs from his new album "Passione,"  a stunning collection of Mediterranean love songs, sung in many languages. The album features duets with Jennifer Lopez, Nelly Furtado and the late Edith Pilaf.

Bocelli was accompanied last night by the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Eugene Kohn and the Colorado Symphony Chorus.


Rising soprano star Maria Aleida sang a few solos, as well as duets with Bocelli. One of the encore finales they sang together was the very popular "Con te Partiro(Time to say Goodbye).


Also performing a magnificent violin solo, and accompanying Bocelli on a few songs, was violinist Caroline Campbell.


2004 American Idol winner Fantasia performed her signature song George Gershwin's "Summertime" and sang a few duets with Bocelli.


A surprise for my husband and myself was that towards the end of the concert Bocelli sang Frank Sinatra's song "New York, New York," while scenes from New York City were shown on the jumbo screen.  I think the song was a puzzlement to the Colorado crowd, but I felt as if it were a special song sang just for me!


Thank you, dear husband, and Andrea Bocelli, for a wonderful evening -- one I'll never forget!

To listen to a portion of Andrea Bocelli singing the ultimate finale encore of the night's concert, "Nessun Dorma," from the opera Turandot, go to my Mille Fiori Favoriti facebook page at this link. I'd also be honored if you "like" my blog's new facebook page!

To read an interesting interview with Andrea Bocelli click on this link on the Denver Post blog.


Bookmark and Share

40 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

That would be an awesome concert to attend! I love Andrea Bocelli's singing. I think the tribute to NYC was just for you. Are you sure your hubby didn't 'orchestrate' that?? :) Blessings on your upcoming Big Birthday! Pam

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing this! I LOVE LOVE his music!!
What a great way to celebrate! Glad you are enjoying your new life in Colorado!

My name is Riet said...

Lucky you,to be able to go to an Andrea Bocelli concert. What a wonderful gift from your DH . Ilove his music and songs.
Have a nice weekend.

Linda said...

Oh I love him too! Sounds like a wonderful time!! Have a great day!!

diane b said...

What a super Birthday present and especially New York, New York. What a treat! I love his CD,s too. His last one sounds great too.

Ann said...

what an awesome birthday present.

Lynn said...

Looks like you had a beautiful night Pat! How fun that he sang NY-NY, that is neat:@)

Old Kitty said...

Oh how wonderful!! To see and hear Bocelli in person! WOW!!! Awwww glad you had a most amazing celebration of your birthday lovely Pat!!! Oh I do believe his rendition of New York, New Yor was just for you!! Yay! Take care
x

Cindy said...

WOW! It sounds like you had an amazing night of entertainment. How sweet of your husband to gift you with it.
I will check out those links.
Hugs, Cindy

eileeninmd said...

what a wonderful birthday present, sounds awesome. Great photos, have a happy birthday and a wonderful weekend!

Lorrie said...

What a fantastic birthday gift and outing. I love Andrea Bocelli's music. So romantic and passionate. Happy Birthday, Pat.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a fabulous concert.. I would have loved it. So he was backed by the Denver Sympathy and Chorus... Awesome.. I sang in the sympathy chorus when I was younger in Knoxville... Loved it...

I did listen to the video on FB --and of course, that song always makes me cry.

Neat that they did a tribute to NY --JUST for you two!!!!

Glad you enjoyed it so much.
Hugs,
Betsy

podso said...

I am listening to your FB page as I write! What a wonderful gift on this birthday-- a night you will never forget, and so neat that he sang the NY song!

Vee said...

Awwww...and I just saw him on PBS! =D

First heard Andrea singing while shopping in a craft and gift shop here in Maine. The owner was playing his cd. Finally, I marched to the counter and asked who was singing. It was so beautiful. She told me then said, "He could be singing 'You're a big fat cow' and I wouldn't care. I listen to him all day long." I've always remembered that. You have all his cds...wow. I have one and must find it. Thanks for sharing your beautiful evening with us.

Margaret said...

Hi Pat, what a wonderful birthday surprise!! And how perfect New York New York just for You!! Thank-you for sharing your concert :) Excellent photos! I have a few of Andrea Bocelli's CDs, I would love to get his new album "Passione"
Margaret from B.C.

camp and cottage living said...

I've only gotten to enjoy Andrea's music on a PBS special. I can't even imagine what it would be like to experience a real concert.
what a wonderful birthday present.
The restaurant and New York, New York must have been like icing on the cake-so sweet!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

That must have be fabulous to attend Andrea's concert. I love his music. And to get to hear NY, NY was a special treat for you. How wonderful! Glad you had such a sweet birthday present.

Margaret said...

Pat, I enjoyed the portion of "Nessun Dorma", and also found the interview with Andrea Bocelli fascinating! Thank-you! Margaret from B.C.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I love him too Pat and was fortunate to see him twice here. That was so cool about the N.Y. song, it was meant for you and Vinny!

Willow said...

I just read an article about him--it's time for me to listen to him sing :)

Willow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

What an amazing concert! I would have loved to be there! Sweet sweet husband you have! I just love hearing Andrea Bocelli's recordings when We are in Vegas and see the fountains at the Bellagio, even that gives me chills...so I can only imagine the night you had! Great pictures.
Karen

Tanna said...

What an amazing birthday treat!! Happy Birthday to you, Pat!! So glad you are getting to enjoy such fun surroundings AND your grands. Life is good! blessings ~ tanna

Anonymous said...

He's wonderful isn't he?

Mary Lee said...

I was amazed at how rich the sound was on your Facebook link. Absolutely wonderful. What better birthday celebration could there be?! The NY, NY production made me smile. I'm sure that yes, it was just for you and your husband.


I'm glad you mentioned that Fantasia was there. She's from Charlotte, but I haven't heard anything about her in a long time. I glad to know that she's doing well.

Thanks again for taking us along.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Denver is wonderful isn't it? They have great concerts and arts too, like NY but on a very manageable scale that allows "best of both world" living: hiking in the wilderness and great restaurant dining and a concert all in one day, with a side helping of grand kid cuddles if desired!

Willow said...

Back here replying to your comment on my current post.
Re: Apple or Mac. Neither. Although he teaches classes on both, he prefers his PC. After all, he used to work for Intel :)
Bunnies? Sure. Still knit them and cuddle them and love them. Contact me for info.

Sharon said...

Oh my, what an absolutely amazing concert that must've been. I am envious. BTW, thanks for the pizza suggestion when we were in New York. We never made it to Brooklyn, but we sure enjoyed some good pizza while we were there. Ironically (I may have already told you this) we are headed to Colorado in late July so I'm watching your blog closely for ideas! We'll be primarily in Boulder/Estes Park, but hubs is flying into Denver (I'm solo roadtriping to CO) and I'll pick him up there.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Oh what a wonderful evening Pat. He's one of my favorites too. I'm off to "like" your FB page, but I'm confused. I thought you already had one for Mille Fiore Favoriti.

Nellie said...

Oh, my! What an amazing evening! Quite a present for your happy day!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful birthday celebration. Are you sure your husband didn't request Andrea Bocelli to sing New York, New York. :)

Pat said...

Ah, Bocelli! Fantastico! I attended his performance in Phoenix years ago and will never, ever forget it. Goose bumps remembering it even now!
Lovely!

The Gathering Place said...

What a nice gift! He is one of my favorite male singers! The tribute to NY must have been the cherry on the top!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

He's my favorite and I think I have all of his music, too. What a wonderful gift...one you'll never forget.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

How fun - Bocelli live and to hear New York, New York! Looks like life in Colorado is turning out great.

We went to see Sinatra at the old Carnegie Hall in the late seventies and he sang New York, New York to a packed house. My husband grew up near the city and actually lived there for a while. I know how you feel about the connection to that song.
Sam

Sarah said...

Happy Special Birthday! Looks like a fantastic evening. Thanks for sharing the experience. I just noticed the note on the sidebar about being selected by Time as one of the 30 top pinners to follow. Wow! Congratulations! I think I'm one of your followers. ;-)

Anonymous said...

wonderful...enjoyed your post Pat!

ellen b. said...

What a wonderful evening it must have been. I really enjoy Bocelli!

Jenny said...

What fun!

Yvette said...

I knew you'd find some cultural happenings in or around Denver, Pat. What a wonderful concert. Andrea Bocelli - wow. I listen to him now and then on youtube.

You are so fortunate to have seen him performing in person.