Friday, July 12, 2013

Josh Groban at Red Rocks Amphitheatre





I know you all must be tired of hearing about my month-long "double 30" birthday celebrations, so I promise this will be the last post on that subject! This was also my last birthday treat. My husband surprised me with tickets to see Josh Groban perform at Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre on July7th.! I have been a long time fan of his, but this was my first time seeing him perform live, and I was also very excited to see him in the beautiful outdoor Red Rocks.


As you can see by this long-distance photo I took from the I-470 highway heading north, the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre is nestled between two giant rock formations in the Rocky Mountain foothills near Morrison, Colorado. For over 70 years it has been known for its acoustically perfect sound.  It has hosted a large array of legendary music groups such as the Beatles, Elvis, U2 and opera stars


Driving into the park one passes the most remarkable giant red rock formations.


This is the ramp leading up to the seats from the south parking lot. 

The view of the stage that we had from our seats. The amphitheater holds a little over 9,000 people in assigned seats.


Red Rock Amphitheatre is located 15 west of the city of Denver, which we could see in the distance from our seats, by using a zoom lens.



It was a beautiful evening the night of the concert. There was even a rainbow in the distance for awhile! Josh was performing with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, and they opened the program with some delightful orchestral medleys. (This collage and all photos in this post can be enlarge for easier viewing by clicking on them once and then clicking on them again for an even larger view.)


This was the second time Josh Groban performed at Red Rocks, and there was palpable excitement when he came on stage! Josh also has his own troupe of very talented international musicians that tour with him, as you can see in this photo.


He sang hits from his new album "All That Echoes," as well as older favorites


To see and hear two of my favorite songs from the night, go to this link on my Mille Fiori Favoriti facebook page to listen to "Starry Starry Night" and his final song, "You Raise Me Up."

The final song was a very touching moment for me, as "You Raise Me Up" was the song I danced to with my son at his wedding, and it always touches my heart to hear it. He and my daughter-in-law celebrated their ninth wedding anniversary recently. Unfortunately, I was not blessed with a good singing voice, so you'll have to excuse my very out of tune "sing-along" if you do listen to that video.

It was a fantastic night, and one I'll always remember!  Josh is very engaging and funny, and his operatic voice is so pure and beautiful. If you ever have a chance to see him perform live I think you'll enjoy his concert as much as I did!



"Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul" --  author unknown

You can also find me on 




Bookmark and Share

39 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a fabulous theater. You are having such fun Pat.
Sam

Old Kitty said...

I love that the ticket says "rain or shine"! LOL!!

What an arena - the acoustics must be amazing - the setting is stunning and it's perfect for a big voice and orchestra!!

Glad you had a great time! Happy Birthday! :-) Take care
x

Lynn said...

Sounds like you had a great night in a very pretty venue Pat:@)

ellen b. said...

What a great venue to enjoy his voice at! Love Red Rocks. Your view of the city is very cool, too. Glad you were able to enjoy this evening...

Pamela Gordon said...

Wow, that would be an amazing concert! I like his singing but just to be at the Red Rocks to hear anyone would be a treat. We have a DVD of John Tesh performing there and it rained and looked very cold. I guess one would have to be prepared for anything. :) A very nice birthday gift!

Vee said...

Yes, I'd go there to hear anyone sing...way cool!

The Gathering Place said...

Josh Groban is also one of my favorite singers! What a beautiful local for a musical evening. Those red rocks are stunning.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

It sounds magical! I have liked Josh's amazing voice since I first saw him on TV performing with Sarah Brightman; I think it was one of his first public performances.

Michelle said...

Lucky you! Red Rocks is an amazing venue!

Judy said...

Very cool! I quite like Josh Groban...and to hear him at that venue would be most special. Two of my sisters and BIL's flew to Denver last summer to take in a Doobie Bros. concert at that theatre. They so enjoyed it.

Margaret said...

Hi Pat, Sounds like a very magical concert. You are very loved and appreciated! How wonderful Josh Groban sang your special mother son song for his wedding, close to your sons wedding anniversary. Thank-you for all the wonderful photos! I just got Andrea Bocelli "Passione" out of my local library and brought it to listen to as I catsit in Vancouver for my very good friend. I'm so loving it, must buy it soon!Hmmm I have a birthday coming up in September... Margaret from B.C.

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Morning Pat, My word, you have had a wonderful celebration of your birthday.
I love listening to Josh Groban. I had never heard of him until a couple of years ago when he was featured on an Oprah Winfrey show and he was mesmerizing. To enjoy his music in a beautiful open air studio must have been fabulous.
What a wonderful husband you have to present you with such a wonderful treat. The evening looked spectacular.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Best Wishes
Daphne

eileeninmd said...

What a great concert, a gorgeous place too. Glad you had a great evening! Happy weekend, Pat!

Lacey R said...

Red Rocks! What a fantastic venue for a concert, wow. I am sure you enjoyed it immensely (lucky you!)

Lorrie said...

What a great way to continue your month of birthday celebration! Josh Groban is one of my favorite singers. How lucky to see him in person.
I'd never heard of Red Rocks amphitheatre - fantastic place.

Sandra Sallin said...

Love Josh Groban. What a fabulous site to listen to him. Beautiful!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow---I'm impressed. That theater (and setting) is fabulous. Bet any concert would be fantastic there... I love John Groban ---and "You Raise Me Up" makes me cry when I hear it... So glad you got to attend this wonderful concert... You truly had a fabulous birthday this year.
Hugs,
Betsy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What an amazing setting! It's a long way from the big city you moved from, isn't it? WOW! Starry Starry night takes on a whole new meaning! I would love to hear him in this gorgeous place! Hugs!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love Josh Groban's music and You Raise Me Up is one of my favorite songs. This setting is so beautiful and I know you must have enjoyed his concert immensely!

camp and cottage living said...

The Red Rock formations make for a beautiful amphitheatre! And Josh is one of my favorites too.
I wish I had facebook so I could hear you and Josh's duet!

Sheila said...

I can only imagine how special that concert was in such an amazing natural setting. i've been to two Josh Groban concerts with my daughter and at the first, Josh came down from the stage and along the side boards of a hockey arena. We were in the front row and a security guard had placed a chair right in front of my daughter. Josh stood on it and reached over to hold my daughter's hand as he sang a verse of "in Her Eyes" to her. Your husband must be one very special man to think of taking you to the concert.

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh my...I would love to hear Josh Groban in that theatre. Absolutely wonderful! So happy for you dear Pat.

Unknown said...

What an amazing theater. I love Josh Groban. You must have had a wonderful time.

Karen

Jeanne said...

Hi Pat, I never tire of your wonderful posts. the previous one with your grands is darling.

Josh Groban is someone I admire in every way. His talent is awesome and he is a lovely person as well. Lucky you. The setting outdoors is stunning and I know you had a wonderful evening. Your hubs is a keeper.

Wishing you happy and dry days. We still are very wet here in the mountains where we live.We spent two weeks with our grands and it rained every day. We still found fun things to do. They are awesome grands in every way. We are blessed and so are you. I give thanks for our happy life every day.
Love, Jeanne

Beverly said...

Such a perfect location to listen to the magic of Josh Groban. I would have loved it, too.♥

pam said...

Isn't that place amazing? Our daughters were at that concert. They loved it. Our oldest will get to hear him again in KC with her dad in Oct. Brilliant idea to put build Red Rocks...so beautiful.

Jim said...

Great post.

Lina Gustina said...

Awesome theater and shots.
You're surely very happy!

http://www.1sthappyfamily.com/2013/07/blues-around-park.html

Anonymous said...

WOW what a stunning location! I love his voice..

bj said...

Hooooly Cow...what an awesome setting. So glad you got to go and hear him.......

SmilingSally said...

What a super treat this must have been for you! I have enjoyed witnessing how spoiled you are; please don't stop sharing with us.

Happy Blue Monday, Pat.

Ann said...

I first saw Josh on television on the TV series "Ally McBeal" years ago and couldn't believe how pure his voice is. I can just imagine how he sounds in Red Rocks. WHOA--what a wonderful dbl birthday gift.
Ann

Nellie said...

Oh, my! What an amazing evening! Josh Groban is a favorite of mine! How lucky you were to hear him!

Fashion Momma said...

Interesting venue for a concert. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I played too. Mine are here and here.

Noel Morata said...

what a great venue for a concert

I'm inviting you to join us for travel photo Mondays, if you have any travel photos to share with us on Mondays.

Noel Morata said...

what a great venue for a concert

I'm inviting you to join us for travel photo Mondays, if you have any travel photos to share with us on Mondays.

GailO said...

Belated Happy Birthday wishes to you Pat!

Catching up on your posts I have to say it looks like you have had a wonderful one:) The Red Rock Arena looks like it needs to be on my bucket list!

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing venue! So glad you got to include this as part of your birthday month.

The Tablescaper said...

What an amazing place.

Wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper