Sunday, January 7, 2018

On Our Way To Italy, With a Stop in New York


Happy New Year, again, to all my readers! Our Christmas decorations are all safely packed away, and we're back to a healthier diet and trying to fullfill our resolution to begin to walk or hike a few miles again every day.  Happily, our weather has been sunny and mild, as we escaped the cold front plaguing the east. All we need is more snow, as we are far below normal so far this season

As I promised in my last blog post, I'd like to show some of the photos and memories I have of a trip my husband and I took to Italy this past summer. It was an "off the beaten track" type of trip, as one half of it was visiting Calabria, in the very south of Italy, in the town where my husband was born, for a celebration of the patron saint of his town. We also visited a few more towns in the south--many places American tourists usually don't visit, unless they have relatives that originated from them, but very worth seeing. The other half of the trip we visited my husband's relatives living in the north, in Genoa and Bologna, and a few other scenic towns.  


We began our trip to Italy with a stop in our old hometown of Brooklyn, New York.  It is always a thrill for us to return to New York for a visit, as it seems we have made a trip there every year in the past five years that we've lived in Colorado.  I've been blogging for ten years and the first five years was mainly about my life in New York City.  If you click on the word Brooklyn, under my header photo, it will take you to all my posts about my hometown borough. If you click on the words New York Cityit will take you back to all the places I visited in New York.  In both categories, you will have to scroll back and back and back, and so on, to see them all, as I blogged quite a bit about the greatest city in the world!



Because we had to change planes in New York, before continuing on to Rome, Italy, we decided to spend a night in Brooklyn with dear friends.  It was a beautiful day in early August, so we took a walk along Brooklyn Bridge Park to enjoy the sights. I blogged quite a bit about this part of Brooklyn, and you can read those multiple posts pages beginning here. if you are interested in this fabulous and scenic part of Brooklyn. 

Brooklyn Bridge Park offers spectacular views of Lower Manhattan...


...as well as the iconic Brooklyn Bridge.


...and contains the very fun, Jane's Carousel, which you can read more about here.


It was fun to visit with our friends and begin our trip to Rome and then take our connecting flight to Lamezia Terme International Airport in Calabria. In my next post, I'll show you the town in which my husband was born, and how it prepared for the very important and festive feast day festival that lasted a full week. It was a dream come true for my husband and me!

I'm linking this post to the following blog events:

Thank you blog hosts!

Bookmark and Share

44 comments:

Lady Fi said...

Fabulous NY views!

Jojo said...

Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing more about your travels.

betty-NZ said...

Wow! It looks like a great time you are having! Awesome pics, too.

podso said...

Off the beaten path is the best kind of travel, I think. Enjoyed the Brooklyn Bridge photos!

Gillena Cox said...

Your New York photos are fabulous

Happy New Year
AND
A lovely Mosaic Monday to you

much love...

Maggie said...

I can imagine how thrilled you were to be back "home" even if just for a very brief stopover on the way to Italy!
Lovely mosaics of your home town, looking forward to seeing and hearing all about your trip to Italy soon.
Happy New Year & Happy MM.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Pat!

Your photos of NYC are wonderful. Great mosaics. Your trip to Italy sounds awesome. Happy New Year to you and your family. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

Tom said...

...Brooklyn, a place that I've never been to. Exciting pictures of your trip.Thanks for the visit, enjoy your week.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful post! My next door neighbors, the Porcos, hail from Calabria. Frank came over as a child and Rosetta when she married Frank at 19, I think! The best neighbors ever, I might add! And Rosie is such a good cook. I know you were eating VERY well on your journey! Your whole trip sounds just terrific!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Loved NY the one time I was there. Looking forward to your posts on Italy.

Michelle said...

Looking forward to reading about your trip and some great photos! Love the views of Brooklyn!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I, too, love shots of the Brooklyn Bridge.
Looking forward to your Italian pics.

Ann said...

Such wonderful shots of NY--still on my list. Colorado has been mild this year, my Son and his girlfriend are saying that the snow needs to come for the tourist economy in the ski resorts. Been to Italy and adore it. Have a great week.
Ann

Daniela said...

Dearest Pat,
I didn't know you were in Italy last Summer, and to be more precise in Genoa, alas, we missed the chance to meet ourselves, I do live in the country at 40 km from the City and am on the way to Bologna !!!

As you eell know, with TENUTA GEREMIA SHORT LETS open, I propably had also the opportunity to host you as many days as you wanted ....

I hope in the next time, Dearie !

Wishing you a most lovely new week to come

XOXO Dany

Vee said...

I know you love Colorado, but NYC must feel like a second home. This trip sounds exciting!

Sarah said...

Always a treat to see your travel photos, Pat. Thank you! Happy 2018 to you and your family!

NCSue said...

So glad you got to visit your "second home" and came by to "visit" my linkup at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/01/ill-never-be-cotton-farmer.html as well. Have fun in Italy!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

In my few trips to NYC, I never really made it to Brooklyn. Great pics!

Ruth Hiebert said...

One of the many things I like about blogging is that I get to visit places,I will likely never see in person.Thanks for the sights of New York.Oh,and the people I have met through blogging are fantastic.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

How wonderful your trip to Italy sounds, Pat. I love visiting the sights that most tourists fail to see. And the fact that your husband was from this place makes it even more special. Your photos of Brooklyn are lovely. How nice you are able to combine this trip with your other big one! ♥

Nikki said...

I would LOVE to go to NY for a tour, but I want a local tour guide. And ITALY???? What a dream for me. One day... I can't wait to read those posts.
:) gwingal

Anonymous said...

So exciting to go to the South of the "boot" of Italy! Brooklyn is beautiful - when you have lived so long in the city, there are certain parts you miss, when moving to a smaller, rural area. I can say that now from experience:) Excited for you being able to revisit the past and sharing it will All Seasons! Have a lovely week!

Tamar SB said...

What a fun time you had!

ellen b. said...

I'm sure your friends were happy to see you before you headed to Italy, too. How nice to have connections in both these places!

Angie said...

Pat - I can tell you really enjoyed your lay-over in New York - thanks for sharing your walk down memory lane. I followed the link for Jane's Carousel ... a true labor of love - I can only imagine the hours invested to scrape all the paint with an xacto knife! Have a joyful week!

Lorrie said...

I learned so much about NYC from your posts written while you lived there. And I've learned a lot about Colorado, from your current posts. How fun to go back to visit New York and connect with old friends and wonderful vistas. I look forward to reading about your visit to Calabria.

Barb said...

Your life in CO must be so different from your life in NY! It's good that you go back to visit each year. I'm trying to start my New Year off right,too, with exercise and a healthier diet. Too much chocolate over the holidays! Happy 2018 to you and your Family, Pat.

csuhpat1 said...

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing them.

carol l mckenna said...

Marvelous photography of New York City ~ love the Brooklyn Bridge photo the best!

Happy Week to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so glad you got to make this trip and can't wait to hear more about your time in Italy. It's a dream of mine to travel there some day! Sweet hugs, Diane

Joanne said...

I haven't been to NYC in ages! I can't to read about your time in Italy.

Sally Wessely said...

I’m excited to see your trip all over again.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Oh Pat. I can't wait to see the photos of Vinny's home town and other places you visited. I've flown into Lamezia Terme and spent some time in Calabria, so I know how special it can be. But I agree that NYC is the best city in the world!

Sheila said...

I am certainly looking forward to your next blog post Pat. It looks like you visited Cinque Terre. I can hardly believe it's been 5 years sincerely you lived in New York. I have been away from blogging for almost two years but do hope to continue after a fresh start lately. Hello again, hope to pop by and visit often. Sheila

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Great shots of the Brooklyn Bridge and the city. Looking forward to Italy!

likeschocolate said...

Such a fantastic city! Everytime I go, I leave feeling like there is still so much more to see!

Sharon said...

Wonderful photos of New York! I didn't know about that carousel. I hope to look for that when I can return to NY. The Brooklyn Bridge is awesome! It was too cold to walk across on our last trip, but I've done that and just loved the views!

Joyful said...

I enjoyed all your photos of New York. What a fantastic city. I look forward to seeing your photos of Italy.

diane b said...

I can imagine how excited you both were.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Glad you got to stop in NY. I can't wait to see the photos of your husbands home town. About 20 or so years ago we traveled to Germany, Austria, and Praugue. We were hoping to get into Italy, but didn't find the time. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

https://www.vintagesouthernpicks.com said...

Gorgeous photos Pat. I've never been to NYC, but always wanted to. I've heard of the Brooklyn Bridge my whole life. How exciting to travel to Italy too! I would love to see these places where the tourists don't go. I've been to Rome, but of course, that IS where the tourists go along with Florence and Venice. Hope to see more photos. Visiting from Sweet Inspiration Link Party.

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous photographs of New York ...

All the best Jan

Ruth said...

This is awesome! I would love to read more of your trip. I like the idea of visiting places that are not "well-known" or "popular." Sometimes, you have the greatest experiences there. Have you been to your husbands hometown before? I have been to my husband's hometown but he hasn't been to mine yet.

Mary K. said...

Pat I got to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time in my life a month ago. It was thrilling and such a sight to see Manhattan as you walk away from it. I have to spend more time in Brooklyn after that walk.