Monday, March 19, 2018

The Boccadasse Neighborhood of Genoa, Italy


After arriving in Genoa, Italy and meeting all my husband's relatives, (see prior post--click here) one of the first places we visited was the very colorful and picturesque neighborhood of Boccadasse. It was once a separate fishing village but now is located on the northern edges of the city of Genoa and at the eastern end of the "Corso Italia," which is the main seafront promenade.

 Click on to enlarge

My husband's cousins drove us to the promenade so we could take an after-dinner stroll, called a "passeggiata," which is a very popular thing to do in Italy.  Along the drive, we had views of the ancient walls of GenoaThe city of Genoa has more surviving walls than any other city in Italy.
We also saw some beautiful homes and hilltop villas.


We stopped along the promenade to take a few photos and enjoy the view of the Ligurian Sea.


Our first look at the Boccadasse reminded me of "Cinque Terre," or Five Towns area, that is located along the Ligurian Italian Riveria, which we visited years ago. Cinque Terre was also filled with rustic, and pastel-colored villages.   Off in the distance of Boccadasse can be seen the promontory of the town of Portofino.




We walked down the steps to get closer to the Boccadasse area.


There we saw a pebbly beach along the shore...


...and people enjoying the warm weather and calm sea.


We wandered the narrow streets of the Boccadasse to see its restaurants, gelaterias, and small shops.


A last glance at postcard pretty Boccadasse as we returned to the Corsa Italia to continue our after dinner walk before the sunset.


We had a very full day of shopping in the local outdoor Genovese markets that morning, where we bought a whole crate of the most amazing porcini mushrooms, fresh vegetables, and fish. Cousin Marco prepared a delicious porcini mushroom sauce for pasta that afternoon and a delicious casserole made with fresh fish, hazelnuts, herbs and vegetables that were all purchased that morning! After such a feast we were happy that we ended the day with such a pleasant evening walk along the sea. 


Like little Lucie, my husband's cousins' dog, we all slept very soundly that night!



You can also find me on  Instagram Twitter Facebook Pinterest

I'm linking this post to the following blog events:

Amaze Me MondayMosaic MondayAll SeasonsBlue Monday, Blogging Monday, Through My Lens MondayInspiration Monday, Blogging GrandmothersYou Are the Star Blog HopGood Random FunNature NotesGrand SocialPhoto Tunes, Happiness Is HomemadeTuesday TreasuresOur World TuesdayRuby TuesdayParty in Your PJ'sWordless WednesdayWordless Wednesday #2Oh My Heartsie Girl's Wonderful WednesdayOutdoor Wednesday, Wednesday Around the WorldWonderful WednesdayLink it Up WednesdayPicture Perfect Party Wednesday LinkyShare Your Cup ThursdayLittle Things Thursday No Rules Blog Linky, Travel Photo ThursdayThankful ThursdayThursday Favorite ThingsFriendship FridaysFriday Photo JournalSkywatch FridaySweet InspirationWeekend Travel Inspiration Pink SaturdayOver the MoonHappiness Is Homemade

Thank you, blog hosts!


Bookmark and Share



41 comments:

Jeanie said...

No wonder you slept soundly! That's quite a day!

That first shot with all those colorful houses -- Super WOW! (OK, you had colorful houses in the others, too, but that one was magnificent!) I love the light there and you captured these at the perfect time!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This charming village is like something out of my best dream! I love color and sun and water ... and oh my gosh this place has it all. The tradition of 'passagiata' is great (I'm not sure I spelled that right, I will check after I send this) -- how fun it would be stroll along that beautiful beach or in the neighborhood visiting with friends .... especially after a delicious meal prepared with farm-fresh ingredients. There is nothing here I would not love. I'm so glad you shared it. (I bet that as you put these posts together you two are thinking 'it's about time to go back again." ... I know I would be!!)

Tom said...

...wonderful pastel buildings! Thanks for stopping by.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Indeed, it is a colorful place. Oh, the beauty of the seaside! Thank you and have a wonderful week!

NCSue said...

Colorful and cheery, but crowded as well, or so it appears.
Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-beautiful-biltmore-estate.html

Maggie said...

What a wonderful day you all had, the market looked amazing. I loved shopping at similar ones when we holidayed in Positano on the Amalfi coast a few years ago. The beautiful ice cream coloured buildings overlooking the sea are simply gorgeous.
Happy Mosaic Monday.

Christie Hawkes said...

It sounds like a wonderful day, and the pictures are beautiful. I've said it before, but I hope to make it to Italy one day. Thanks for sharing!

photodoug said...

Pat, colorful buildings and fantastic market. Thanks for sharing.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Little bits of blue everywhere I look. I especially like the railing and the market basket. Thanks for linking to Blue Monday!

NanaHood said...

I love the colors and the character of the city! Thanks so much for sharing at NanaHood.com ! Safe travels!

Michelle said...

Your photos are perfection. What gorgeous scenery. I love the idea of fresh food each day.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always love seeing the warm colors of the buildings and homes. Beautiful photos!

Jill Harrison said...

thank you for these views and tour. We are going to Italy for the first time soon, and I look forward to seeing the sort of thing you are showing here - so different to Australia! Happy travels and have a great week. I am joining you at Our World Tuesday.

Mersad said...

The sunny coastal imagas have me longing for summer. Thank you for sharing.

Andrea said...

How lovely those colorful houses are! And even with the colors it still radiates moderately lovely temperatures. If those colors are used here the more heat we will feel. And the fresh seafoods make me salivate, and i miss a freshly cooked meal like those.

Sylvia said...

Pat, I am enjoying your Italy posts. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

Angie said...

Pat - another delicious 'slice' of Italy! Yes, I can imagine that a walk is an important activity if you are eating gelato and home-made Italian sauces. The only thing that might be appropriate would be a nap! But then you might miss some of these sun-baked scenes with pastel houses - forget the nap! Lovely shots, all!

Ola said...

With this beatiful light it looks even more amazing!

Ruth said...

Just beautiful! I love the colorful buildings in this part of town. What I am enjoying on your posts is the concept of going to the market and buying what is going to be consumed that (or the day after). Plus, seems like all your relatives cook! How nice!

rupam sarma said...

Awesome pics.

Anonymous said...

You are right, it does look like Cingue Terre, and one day was not enough, sigh!Was planning to paint there, but it was too hot. It sounds no matter where you are you have a full schedule! (Keeps you young, eh?) Many thanks for the pleasant reminders of a Cingue Terre -like town/city for All Seasons:):)

Lady Fi said...

Ooo - the town is so picturesque! Such lovely buildings!

Photo Cache said...

This part of the city is very charming. When our cruise ship stopped in Genoa, we only explored the downtown area.

Worth a Thousand Words

A Colorful World said...

What an incredible trip! getting to meet your husband's relatives had to be so very special, and getting get to know them in their wonderful Italian city! The photos are gorgeous!

Fun60 said...

What a delightful town. I wonder if it is compulsory to paint your house in a particular colour or you are allowed to choose. The lighting is wonderful in your photos.

handmade by amalia said...

This looks like the setting for one of those classic Italian films, beautiful.
Amalia
xo

betty-NZ said...

What wonderful photos and memories of a gorgeous place with lovely friends.

Amanda McCusker said...

What a beautiful place! It looks like something out of a dream.

likeschocolate said...

Gorgeous! Now I am even more excited to go there in June!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Wow, such color, textures, and rich beauty in all these pictures! I can imagine just how marvelous it was to shop in the morning for your dinner, and how amazing it must have tasted! How wonderful that you could tour this beautiful area with your husband's cousins too! I always enjoy your tours of the places you see, I feel as if I am virtually traveling along beside you :) I imagine you did sleep very soundly that night after such a long but amazing day! Hugs :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Those colourful houses look so pretty and inviting.
What a super post, lovely to see all of your photographs.

What a fantastic and busy day - I'm sure you did all sleep soundly.

All the best Jan

Jim said...

Beautiful buildings.

Michelle said...

Pat, thank you for linking up!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat, your Italy trip looks just fantastic. I love the colorful houses and the views of the water. Looks like a beautiful place to visit. Great series of photos. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Sharon said...

At first glance, I did think your photo was of Cinque Terra! I love the pastel colors. Italy is my favorite country, and these seaside cliff-hugging towns are like nothing else for beauty.

Joanne said...

Such beautiful photos. I love all the pastel buildings and the way the sun hits the buildings and the water is so pretty. Pinned.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

What an amazing location! Love all the pastel buildings, and great photos.

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful photos. The bright colours and the seaside also made me think of Cinque Terre, one of the most wonderful places we have ever visited.
Thank you for posting these beautiful photographs.
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Indah Nuria Savitri said...

Look at all those colors! Instantly reminded me of Cinque Terre indeed, one of our favorite destinations in Italy..

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Wow, what an amazing day! I can see why you were all tuckered out. I would love to go to Italy some day!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Indah Nuria Savitri said...

All the colors look so amazing, Pat. This is what I remember from Cinque Terre as well..