Monday, January 14, 2019

The 113th National Western Stock Show Parade in Denver



On Thursday, January 10th, the 113th National Western Stock Show, held its kick-off parade in Denver, Colorado. This annual event takes place on 17th Street from Union Station to 17th Ave and Tremont Place in Denver.  My husband and I have enjoyed attending this parade almost every year since we moved to Colorado, six years ago.  It is a quintessential western experience and so much fun to see!


We usually drive to Denver a couple hours before parade time to get a parking space and to have lunch. Having some extra time this year we dropped into the exquisite and historic Brown Palace Hotel and Spa.   It is a Denver icon, established in 1892.


Click on the collage above to view it larger, and read about the history of the Brown Palace that was on two framed photos I saw near the reservations desk.



The Brown Palace's Christmas decorations were still on display in the lobby.   Formal tea was being served, complete with a piano player playing soft music.  I stayed in the Brown Place to celebrate my 60th birthday the year we moved to Colorado, and we also had tea there, which you can see in this postIt was an enchanting experience!



The Brown Palace is truly a beautiful place to visit to admire its unique architecture and design and old-world elegance.


Although there are wonderful restaurants inside the Brown Palace, we have a tradition of attending the National Western Stock Show Barbecue lunch, held in the Wells Fargo building lobby, that benefits the 4H Club. It is a buffet serving delicious and filling selections of pulled pork on a bun, potato salad, coleslaw, and baked beans, with the choice of either ice tea or lemonade and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.


We then line up curbside on 17th Street to wait for the beginning of the parade.


The parade always begins with a procession of long-horned cattle accompanied by cowboys and cowgirls, keeping them in line.  The sight never ceases to amaze me!



One of the long-horns was a bit ornery!




Seeing cowboys riding down a usually busy car trafficked Denver street harkens back to the city's olden days.



There were many cowboys and cowgirls in the parade...


...in fact, I think cowgirls may have outnumbered cowboys this year!


One of the cutest riders was this little guy!


Denver urban developer and preservationist, Dana Crawford, who was behind the designation of LoDo, the creation of Larimer Square, and revamping Union Station, was the grand marshal of the 2019 parade.



I love seeing all the draft horse teams in the parade.


They are such magnificent horses!  A few years ago we attended an exciting Draft Horse Show at the National Western Stock Show Arena. You can see that post here.

There were other animals in the parade including service dogs in training, alpacas, donkeys and the Colorado State University mascot Ram.

This pretty Senorita was dancing in her traditional Mexican dress for the Mexican Rodeo float.




The video above, on my Mille Fiori Favoriti facebook page,  show her twirling her dress so beautifully.

The National Western Stock Show Parade had a marching band, rodeo stars. stagecoaches, covered wagons, a wild west show, vintage firetruck, and miniature horses.  What was missing this year were the John Deere and other tractors that paraded in the past...


...but a pink stretch limousine was a new addition!




Of course, the parade ends with the much-needed sanitation street sweepers cleaning up after all the animals that proceeded them in the parade. They usually get a big cheer from the crowd!   
The National Western Stock Show and Rodeo began on Saturday and runs with many different events until Jan. 27 at the National Western Center near Interstate 70 and Brighton Boulevard.  The exciting news is that this center is in the process of being renovated and expanded in stages--you can read more about that on this link. It will ensure the stock show tradition will remain in Denver for another hundred years!

PS:
Thank you, everyone, for your good wishes on my last post regarding my foot surgery that will take place this week. I know I'll be sidelined for a few weeks of recovery but will continue to blog. My husband is also feeling well and appreciates your kind thoughts. I think we both have many adventures ahead, God willing, and we will continue to enjoy each and every day.


You can also find me on 


I'm linking this post to the following blog events:

Amaze Me MondayMosaic Monday, All SeasonsBlue Monday,  Through My Lens MondayInspiration Monday, Blogging GrandmothersHearth, and Soul Link PartyYou Are the Star Blog HopGood Random FunNature NotesGrand SocialTravel Photos, Photo Tunes, Happiness Is HomemadeTuesday TreasuresPictorial TuesdayOur World TuesdayRuby TuesdayTuesdays With A TwistParty in Your PJ'sWordless WednesdayNanahood WWOh My Heartsie Girl's Wonderful WednesdayOutdoor Wednesday, Words On WednesdayWhimsical WednesdayYour Whims WednesdayWednesday Around the WorldWonderful Wednesday Little Things Thursday,Thankful ThursdayThursday Favorite ThingsThursday Traffic Jam Weekend LinkyPretty Pintastic PartyFriendship FridaysFriday Photo JournalSkywatch FridaySweet Inspiration, Pink SaturdaySaturday CrittersOver the MoonHappiness Is HomemadeWandering Camera (monthly-last Thursday of the month)



Bookmark and Share

31 comments:

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Awesome parade! We have an annual rodeo/horse show parade in June that goes through our downtown. Much smaller than yours. For a while it seemed like there were more vehicles than horses. The draft horses are my favorite to see. I also like the guys with the dancing horses.

Tom said...

...WOW, what a parade! Those two street sweepers sure must have had their work cut out for them. Thanks!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I would love to see this!!
We're the same age.
And I have to check my Denver photos as the hotel is ringing a bell.

Maggid said...

I like Denver - a lot.
Until now - I'd never seen a sight like this in person . . .
Oooo-weee! Now i want to attend.
What a terrific parade!!!

Jeanie said...

Oh Pat, this looks like loads of fun. Fabulous photos to be sure and great fun. What a marvelous thing to do before your surgery. (I hope the feet hung in there!)

I think today is the day and since I can't post you a get well card, I'll give you greetings right here. Please keep us updated on our progress and all good wishes that the recovery is on time and the surgery just the trick!

Linda Kay said...

Looks like lots of fun at the parade. The schools in our area close down for two days for the stock shows, just completed last week.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love seeing those big animals. Such power and grace in them.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

That must be quite a sight as those long horns travel along the street! I love your tradition of going to this parade and having BBQ! Sounds wonderful. The parade is quite extensive and beautiful. I love seeing the horses and the darling little cowboy!
I will be thinking of you as you have your surgery, Pat! Yes, good experiences are still to come! ♥

Linda W. said...

I love a good parade! Thanks for sharing your photos. Good luck with your surgery.

William Kendall said...

The palace and parade are both impressive!

Tamar SB said...

That is so cool to see! Thanks for sharing.

Angie said...

Pat - there's nothing like a good home-town parade, and I am gladdened that Denver and the parade organizers have kept this tradition alive despite Denver's status as a huge metropolis! You covered it well - I feel like I was there! I am sure the rest of the Mosaic Monday readers are as thrilled as I am that you linked up this week. I hope your recovery from surgery is smooth and speedy!

Jim said...

How interesting to see that on city streets.

Murthy K v v s said...

What a parade..!Awesome,that riders too.

NCSue said...

Wow - that's pretty amazing!
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/01/what-flirt.html

csuhpat1 said...

So very cool. What a great time. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

We are in awe ...that is an amazing event and experience ! Incredible to think of those longhorns on a downtown street and it sure does conjure up thoughts of Denver and Colorado back in the day! The horses are great too ... I had to walk my iPad into the other room to show This post to Bill and had a hard time retrieving it!

Marti said...

I didn't know Denver had a parade like that. It looks a lot like the Fat Stock Parade (or whatever they call it now) in Fort Worth. I've really enjoyed looking over your blog and your wonderful pictures.

Barb said...

Especially love the littlest cowpoke!

diane b said...

Wow that is an impressive parade and show. Denver people know how to party.

ellen b. said...

What a fun parade. Those animals are awesome. Thanks for all the beautiful photos.

CHERI said...

I'm popping over from FB Poofing the Pillows:) Your blog has such awesome pictures! And this trip looks so much fun. My husband used to come hunting in Colorado and loved the country there. I am hoping in the next few years we will begin to do some traveling. I saw your comment on Poofing and like you I write my blog to 1. journal about my life and 2. to write about things that interest me because I've always loved to write. I don't write as often as some folks do (can't always think of anything to write about!) and I don't read as many as I used to, but I still enjoy blogging. Now I'm off to check out more of your space. Happy New Year!

Lowcarb team member said...

What a fantastic parade this looks, so nice seeing all of your photographs and mosaic.

The animals, cowboys, cowgirls and little cowboy in the parade all looked as if they were enjoying the day.

I hope your recovery from surgery goes well.

All the best Jan

Alice V said...

Looks like a fun parade with all the animals there -wow. I would love to have formal tea one day in a hotel like that. Thanks for linking up with us at #OMHGWW!

betty-NZ said...

It looks like a wonderful day for you! The restaurant is fabulous!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

This post brought back so many memories of living in Texas. My father rode in the Salt Grass Trail ride over a course of several days that was the start of the Houston Fat Stock Show and Rodeo. He said it was fun and enjoyed camping out each night until they arrived in Houston for the parade.

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh my goodness, what a fantastic parade! Thank you for sharing the awesome photographs!!

Rambling Woods said...

Now a cattle drive is not anything I have ever seen....Michelle

Sharon Wagner said...

Now, that's my kind of parade. Chock full of animals. We saw a parade of cows in the road recently too. In Costa Rica. They were just going wild, wandering around. Here, when cows are wandering the roads, the locals flash their lights to warn drivers.

Lady Fi said...

What a great parade!

Buttercup said...

Your pictures, as always, are fabulous! I stayed at the Brown Palace on my first visit to Denver, somewhere in the 1980s. It was as sumptuous as you might expect. I'd love a chance to stay there again. More recovery good wishes!