Sunday, April 7, 2019

Sogetsu Ikebana, the Ancient Japanese Art of Flower Arranging


Has "Spring Fever" arrived where you are? To me, the Spring season brings thoughts of warming temperatures, the arrival of flowers, spring cleaning and home improvements. Recently, my husband, daughter and I attended the Denver Home Show, held at the National Western Complex in Denver, Colorado. There, we saw many vendors displaying windows and hot tubs, gutter guards and mattresses, and many other assorted home design or improvements. 

(All photos and photo collages will enlarge when clicked on)


The main reason we went to the show, however, was to attend the Denver Home Show's Annual Sogetsu Colorado Ikebana Show.  Ikebana is the fine art of Japanese floral arranging and Sogetsu Colorado displayed many of their incredible and unique flower arrangements at the show.



Please click on the photo to enlarge it to read content.

The Sogetsu School of ikebana was founded in 1927 in Japan by Sofu Teshigahara, whose vision was to adapt traditional ikebana to more contemporary times. While retaining some of the traditional ikebana concepts such as asymmetry, open space, and depth, he rejected many of the more rigid rules about materials, placement and permitted styles of arrangements that were integral parts of the ikebana of the past.


Sogetsu Colorado was founded by Mrs. Kyoko Kita in 1986. The branch includes members from the Metropolitan Denver area, Colorado Springs, Boulder, and many Front Range communities. The purpose of this group is to increase the interest and awareness of the art of ikebana to those communities

Please click on to enlarge.

The theme of the 2019 Sogetsu Ikebana was the Japenese Five Elements--Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, and Space.  Each flower arrangement represented one of the elements and it was fun to guess which one and then turn over a small card that had a question mark on it that was next to each arrangement to see if our guess was correct.


The arrangements were colorful...


...and many were placed in unusual containers that added to their sense of visual poetry.


Most arrangements had additions of natural accents that curled and flowed ...


 ...and extended the arrangement.


Some arrangements were quite small, while others were large.



We really enjoyed looking at each one and found it hard to chose a favorite!


The highlight of the show for us was to watch one of the Sogestsu Colorado teachers, along with an assistant, demonstrate how to make four different ikebana arrangements.  A moderator explained how the flowers are cut on a slant with their stems under water which helps them live longer. She stressed how the container that is used is also an important element of ikebana and that they often scoured thrift stores and yard sales for unique containers.  I particularly liked the tall clear glass container in which the teacher placed a palm frond inside. She then slit the top of the palm frond and made it into the shape of a circle before adding baby's breath flowers, a single bird of paradise flower and finally graceful stems to the vase. It all looked very graceful and impressive!


The demonstrater worked quickly and effortlessly to make each beautiful ikebana arrangement, and it was a pleasure to watch her work and see the final results.  My daughter and I learned quite a bit and we now feel inspired to begin to collect our own ikebana accent pieces that we find in nature on our local hikes.


This display at the exit of the Sogetsu Ikebana display made me smile. It was definitely a tribute to Colorado weather, as  Spring in Colorado is often accompanied by snowfall well into the month of May. In an ikebana way, snow can also be thought of as a container or accessory that compliments and enhances the flowers. 
Each season has its own beauty and function and ikebana displays are a wonderful expression of nature's creativity.

An interesting article about Ikebana can be read on this linkIf you would like to learn more about Sogetsu Ikebana and where to take classes check out this link for the English version of their Japanese website. To learn more about classes in Colorado for Sogetsu Ikebana click here.


You can also find me on 


I'm linking this post to the following blog events:

Amaze Me MondayMosaic Monday, All SeasonsBlue Monday,  Through My Lens MondayHeart and Soul Link UpInspiration Monday, Blogging GrandmothersHearth, and Soul Link PartyYou Are the Star Blog HopGood Random FunNature NotesGrand SocialTravel Photos, Photo Tunes, Happiness Is HomemadeSomething Old Is NewTuesday TreasuresOur World TuesdayRuby TuesdayTuesdays With A TwistWordless Wednesday on a TuesdaySay Cheese!,  Party in Your PJ'sWordless WednesdayNanahood WWOh My Heartsie Girl's Wonderful Wednesday, Your Whims WednesdayWednesday Around the WorldWonderful Wednesday Little Things Thursday,Thankful ThursdayThursday Encouraging Hearts and HomeThursday Favorite Things,  Pretty Pintastic PartyFriendship FridaysFriday Photo JournalSkywatch Friday, Pink SaturdaySaturday CrittersOver the MoonHappiness Is HomemadeWandering Camera


Bookmark and Share

36 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! All the arrangements are so beautiful!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Years ago Ikebana was introduced to me in a garden club that I belonged. Pat, the arrangements you featured are quite lovely and like you say graceful. How fun to go to these home shows. I hope Spring is beginning to show her beauty around your home.

Linda said...

These are amazing! You took such great photos and I love the detail.
I have never really seen anything like this before......

Angie said...

Pat - well, this certainly makes my arrangements look pedestrian! Thanks for showing us so many of the styles - the next time I need some inspiration, I will come back to this post! (And I look forward to seeing what you create!) Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

Linda W. said...

How interesting! My "flower arranging" consists of plopping a bunch of flowers in a vase.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful! I have seen an exhibit of this craft at one of our museums.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat, the arrangements are all beautiful. The Denver home show looks like a fun time and the displays are lovely. Thanks for sharing your visit. Happy Monday, enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy new week!

Tom said...

...I love Ikebana, but it has too many rules for me.

candy said...

These flower arrangement are so pretty. What a craft. Found you on Grandms's Briefs Link Party

Gale (allthelittlebits.com) said...

I now consider myself educated thanks to your very informative post! So beautiful and so interesting! I had never heard of ikebana. Thank you for enlightening me!

Gillena Cox said...

Gorgeous Ikebana. Happy Mosaic Monday

much love...

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Each one is so beautiful and unique. I like the idea of finding containers at thrift stores...great way to recycle and have some different too! Hugs!

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I took the Ikebana classes a number of years ago.
To be honest, I sucked at it, but I enjoyed doing it.

Powell River Books said...

Fields of daffodils and tulips in the nearby Skagit Valley are in full bloom. Love this time of year. - Margy

JLS Hall said...

Great post, and such gorgeous photos! I'm really hopeless at flower arranging, but I've always been interested in ikebana. Some of these arrangements are just amazing!

Happy Monday, and hope you have a wonderful week!

Lady Fi said...

How exquisite!

Rambling Woods said...

How interesting

Janice said...

Such beauty and such talent.

NCSue said...

How cool! Unfortunately I haven't an artistic bone in my body, so such beautiful arrangements are beyond me - but I do love seeing them.
Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/04/almost-time-for-mimosas.html

Jennifer Wise said...

WOW! I have never heard of Ikebana. These are just stunning arrangements. I enjoyed the "snow" one as I'm Coloradan, too, and it's so accurate. :) What a neat event to attend! Thanks for sharing at #heartandsoullinkup

Jeanie said...

What a terrific experience and exhibition -- to see this would truly be a treat. I loved all the arrangements you showed, although my favorite was the first with the forsythia -- true spring. I would simply adore this!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

How wonderful to be able to see an artist craft a natural arrangement so beautifully! I've never heard of Ikebana and enjoyed learning about it through your pictures! Like you, our weather here can have snow up into April and May, as Spring is very fickle minded here too! We are getting lots of rain today, and hoping that the saying "April showers bring May flowers" holds true for us :) Blessings to you Pat!

ellen b. said...

Lovely creations and displays!

Ghastly Girl said...

They are all so beautiful. I don't think I would ever have the patience for it but I love watching the creation of them.

Little Wandering Wren said...

How wonderful Pat, I would have loved to watch these demonstrations, I love Ikebana too, so elegant!
I'm off to Japan later in the year for the Rugby World Cup, will try to take some floral photos for you :)
Have a great week
Wren x

XmasDolly said...

Absolutely breath-taking! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful pictures, and have a wonderful day!

Lowcarb team member said...

How amazing.
How beautiful.

So lovely to see all of your photographs and mosaics.

All the best Jan

Joanne said...

Those displays are all so interesting! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Welcome Spring party. Pinned.

April J Harris said...

Pat, these are stunning arrangements! I had never heard of Sogetsu Ikebana and was so interested to learn more about it. I love how simple, yet detailed, so many of the arrangements are, and I was so intrigued by the unique snow arrangement. Sharing on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page. Thank you so much for your support of the Hearth and Soul Link Party.

Michelle said...

This is such an art form. I enjoyed seeing your photos on Instagram. Thank you for linking up today and sharing this beauty!!

betty-NZ said...

Goodness, that's some fabulous talent! I love posts like this because it gives me ideas for my flowers. Thanks so much for sharing these awesome photos.

betty-NZ said...

I appreciate you linking up to make My Corner of the World a success!

diane b said...

It is the most beautiful art. So delicate and well balanced.

peggy gatto said...

Thank you for all this beauty!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Simply lovely and absolutely perfect. Which epitomizes the Japanese way in my mind. No extra clutter, every single piece absolutely right and absolutely stunning.

Dee | GrammysGrid.com said...

How pretty! They all looked so nice!