Sunday, March 22, 2020

Coronavirus: Staying Home But Keeping Hope



Last week I was so sad and upset by the growing threat of the novel Coronavirus that I decided to take a short break from blogging to regroup my thoughts and to take a break from social media. I honestly could not concentrate on anything for very long.  I'm sure all the dire information I was hearing triggered a bit of PTSD that lingered in my psyche from my time when I lived in New York City post 9-11 when we were so uncertain as to what the future held.  

As of Sunday afternoon, public health officials in Colorado confirmed that there were 591 cases of COVID-19 in 29 counties, and around 5,436 people had been tested. There were 58 people hospitalized and 7 deaths.  Sadly, those numbers are all rising every day. 



This week, however, I feel more in control and more confident that as a state, nation, and world, we will eventually return to a normal life.  It may be for the long term, but I can "stay home," I can do "social isolation," and limit my contact with others.  I can take responsibility for my health and the health of those I love by reducing contact with others to "flatten the curve" of how quickly this virus spreads so that our hospitals are not overwhelmed by those needing care. I am so grateful for the doctors, nurses and first responders, and all other essential workers that must still expose themselves to regular work in order to take care of us and keep us safe.




My heart goes out to those who lost their jobs and are worrying about paying bills and rent or mortgages.  I know many students will most likely be home for the rest of the school year and are missing their friends, teachers and special school events and parents have had to scramble to find childcare or homeschool resources. I know vacation plans have been canceled, as well as holiday plans. It is a new dystopian world right now in most places, but in accepting all of these sacrifices we are saving lives, maybe even our own.




Right now, most public places have closed in Colorado. Most schools, churches, restaurants, bars, gyms, salons, entertainment venues,  ski resorts, and even Rocky Mountain National Park have been closed. Many people are working from home or have reduced their workplace density, and workplaces of essential workers have reduced staff as much as possible. The Colorado State Parks are still open, and we are fortunate that we still have many open space trails available where we can have solo recreation and enjoy the outdoors. In fact, all of the photos in this post I took along a trail in my neighborhood. 


Neighbors are helping neighbors, and we are all trying to keep as busy as possible.  Life goes on as best as possible. 




This was our St. Patrick's Day! Usually, my entire family will gather for our traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner and Irish Soda Bread dinner, but this year it was only my husband and I.  Neighbors had a fun idea to organize a St Patrick's Day parade of decorated cars to go through our neighborhood to share some cheer, and it really did cheer me up to go outside and see them pass by. 



This is a local news story about this event. You can also click on my Mille Fiori Favoriti Facebook link here to see it.

Next week I'll go back to my regular blog posts about Colorado, as I have much to share from prior trips we took, and I hope those posts will be a welcome distraction from the ongoing situation. I look forward to seeing how you all have been spending your time.  Please stay healthy and please keep hope that we will all get through this unusual time together!


You can also find me on 


I'm linking this post to the following blog events:


 Mosaic Monday, All SeasonsBlue Monday, Through My Lens MondayLittle Cottage Link Party
 Hearth, and Soul Link PartyYou Are the Star Blog Hop, Inspire Me Monday,  Good Random FunNature NotesGrand SocialTravel Photos, Photo TunesHappiness Is HomemadeOver the Moon, Our World TuesdayRuby TuesdayTuesday Turn AboutTuesdays With A TwistLet's Keep In TouchWordless Wednesday on a TuesdaySay Cheese!,  Party in Your PJ'sWordless WednesdayNanahood WWOh My Heartsie Girl's Wonderful Wednesday, Your Whims WednesdayWorldless  Wednesday My Corner of the WorldWonderful Wednesday Little Things ThursdayThankful ThursdayThursday Encouraging Hearts and HomeFull Plate ThursdayFriendship FridaysFriday Features Linky Party, Skywatch Friday,   Pink SaturdaySaturday Critters
 Grammys Grid-Month Long Linky Party

Bookmark and Share

48 comments:

Jill Harrison said...

It is hard to not be anxious in these changing times. At the moment in Australia we are wondering how we can celebrate Anzac Day - our big day of remembrance. To not go to a Dawn Service seems incomprehensible. Stay safe and connected.

Linda said...

I totally understand! I had a couple of 'flat line' days and had to regroup.
We will get through this but it is scary. I am keeping my 83 year old husband home until things get better. Yes, we can all do our part and stay home if possible and pray for those who are out there serving and working.

Lady Fi said...

I have a big lump in my stomach all day long... Hard not to worry!

Lovely shots.

Rambling Woods said...

Pat I am glad to see that you are well and hope we all stay that way...Michelle

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I am so grateful for all the essential people who still have to work under the threat of this virus. It is mostly the same here, I do hope the parks stay open. People need to get outdoors for the peace of mind, fresh air and sunshine. Your views and photos are beautiful. Take care and be well. Wishing you a happy new week!

Millie said...

I am glad to hear you are staying safe and isolating yourself. I feel very lucky that I am going to continue receiving my paycheck (even though I don't know what my work will look like or when school will get out for the year). For now, I'm hunkering down on the farm. I'm hoping to also get around to visit a few blogs that I've missed. Take care and stay safe.

Teresa @ Eden Hills

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a good post you've written my friend. And it does bring back memories of disasters in our past. I'm glad we have our blogs to stay in touch though. We are still hiking the forest trails and there are very few people on them....we saw only 2 people yesterday. I wish more people would get outside in nature! Take care and stay healthy. Love seeing your photos this morning! Looks like the weather is beautiful!

Reidland Family said...

There is a lot of uncertainty in the world right now. But one sure thing is God when we turn to Him in faith.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Who can help but love those big, blue Colorado skies? And I like your little splashes of red that you also included in this post.

Sandi Magle said...

Life does go on, whether we angst about it or not. Love your photos..and your soda read looks moist and delicious!
Take care and we are all in this together!

Taken For Granted said...

I liked the drive by St. Patrick's Day Parade. What a great adaptation to this pandemic.

NanaHood said...

The best we can do is the best we can do. Take care and chin up! Hugs from Kentucky!

NanaHood said...

Stay safe and hopefully this will be over soon. Hugs to you from Kentucky.

Michelle said...

I am trying my best to stay positive and enjoy this time with my family. My husband has a sensitive job, so he will go to work regardless of what happens. I do think my son is about to be out of work, as his place will be ordered to close soon. Daughter is finishing up her semester via online work. We press on! What else can one do? Stay well.

Dawn said...

Great idea for the parade. Our neighborhood put out a message to place shamrocks in our windows, yards or on the mailbox so when families take a walk the kids can count them. A little scavenger hunt without contact.
Be safe.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

Jeanie said...

In every word you write, I couldn't agree more. Stress level is high here and viruses rising exponentially. Our governor locked us down today -- essential services only. Stay at Home till April 13. No egg hunt with the little ones this year, I'm afraid. But that's OK. Rick is getting groceries and I am staying in with Lizzie, who is blissfully unaware of everything but lunch, nap, and good girl treats. I envy her.

Stay well, my friend.

NCSue said...

We're all needing to find new ways of doing things. The adjustment can be hard. Most of all, I hope we stay healthy!
Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-explorer.html

Lydia C. Lee said...

I love the idea of the car parade. Very cute. And I do think as we get into the rythmn of it, we will find little ways to bring cheer. Fingers crossed that vaccine gets sorted and we can get it underway and back to a type of normal. Or at least a normal that gets more people work

Angie said...

Pat - I totally understand your "PTSD". It is easy to become overwhelmed by this situation, especially when we have so few answers. I think we could deal with it more effectively if we knew when it would end … the ambiguity is very stressful. Like you, we are grateful that we are close to outdoors that are not very populated. I would go crazy if I could not get out for a walk. Thanks for taking the time to link to Mosaic Monday - we all need each other more than ever!

Barb said...

You're so lucky to live right by a greenbelt so you can get outside for exercise and fresh air. We're also fortunate to live against wilderness that isn't easily accessible to the masses. We go out our back door and rarely meet another person. We're on day 15 of isolation but may go to the store during "old folks" hours sometime this week to resupply. I am concerned about young families and the stresses they face economically and emotionally, having to entertain small children inside and make sure older kids are doing some school work. You and Vinny stay well and safe.

ellen b. said...

I so loved seeing that St. Patrick's day parade in your neighborhood. I love seeing how creative people are in this pandemic and in isolation. Thank you for this beautiful post and for blogging in this time. It really makes a difference. Stay safe and keep the Faith!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I have had times of despair as well, but I also know that if we all do what we need to do, we can help to end this sooner rather than later. I am choosing to stay at home, or at least away from people, as much as possible.

Hazel said...

Terrible times, but your photos remind me of a line in Desiderata: "with all its sham, drudgery and suspense, it is still a beautiful world...."

Shiju Sugunan said...

Lovely pics. Take care and be safe!

stevebethere said...

Nice photos and good post yes it is hard not to worry we worry here more in the UK about people insisting on not sticking to the rules

Have a safetastic week :-)

Lisa notes... said...

These are definitely some of the craziest times to be living in. :( I'm glad you're finding renewal there. When we visit Colorado, I never get tired of the beauty of the mountains. I wonder now when we'll get back there. But you're right that one day life WILL return to normal again, even if a new normal.

An Apel a Day said...

I love the rock formations there! I live in Nebraska - it's very flat here.

I've been staying in for the most part too.

Jeanna said...

That car parade was a fantastic idea, I wish we would have thought of it after our parade was cancelled.
It seems like just yesterday I was begging and pleading with my sister not to come in from Milwaukee with her husband to spend time with my mother. It was actually two weeks ago when she was saying she won't give in to panic.
Last week, however, she was much more easily talked into not coming in and this week first Milwaukee and now all of WI is under a stay at home order. That doesn't include me since I'm my mother's primary caregiver.
Thank you for all the lovely photos and your much appreciated visits to my blog. It's weird I'm still carving out time to stay home now but I laid down the law yesterday and I can see my love seat again after removing most of the laundry. Ok, much of it is back on the floor after vacuuming, but still.
You have a lot of beauty right at your door step and I think between that and keeping up with other bloggers your physical and mental health will be in tact.
Take care.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Big hugs, Pat. It's usually in the evening that anxiety creeps in for me. I allow it for awhile, then take deep breaths to hold it at bay. All in all, I think positively. The dark side is not for me. I enjoyed your photos and love the scenery. Were those rock outcrops formed from magma? They are so cool looking. Take care.

rupam sarma said...

Stay safe.

betty-NZ said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. It affects us all differently.
Love your photos and am looking forward to more when you feel more like blogging.
Stay safe. You are in my prayers.

I'm so happy you are a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week!

My Corner of the World

RobertN said...

Beautiful post.

Mandy said...

It must be so nice to have parks you can get out and explore during this time. Hopefully, the weather is nice.

With Love,
Mandy

podso said...

It sounds like you are at a better place this week. Thankful. The neighborhood car parade sounds delightful! How creative and fun!

Anonymous said...

Initially, I felt as if we had all stepped into an episode of the Twilight Zone. But as I‘ve become more used to this new life my feelings aren’t bouncing around as much. My family and I are doing our part to flatten the curve. Also, being older, we are more likely to have a serious illness should this virus find us. But I am not focusing on that too much. We will do what we can - what is within our control and hope for the best.

Stay safe!

Michelle
http://mybijoulifeonline.com

Jeanne said...

Beautiful photos. Good luck in these strange times.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful photos. Stay safe and hopeful.

Sharon Wagner said...

Peaceful trails with beautiful rock formations. What a nice one to have near your front door. I'm glad you're feeling less overwhelmed. Sigh. Crazy times. P.S. I followed you on instagram.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for sharing such beautiful photographs.
It is so important that we all pull together in these uncertain times.
Stay safe and stay well.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Powell River Books said...

What a great idea to have a car parade. I've seen that a few times on the news for children's birthdays and one with teachers driving by to stay connected with their students staying home with homeschooling. - Margy

Jill Harrison said...

It really is the most dreadful time and so important to keep socially connected even if it is across the oceans via blogging. Stay safe and take this time out to regroup. Thank you so much for visiting my blog this week.

diane b said...

A lovely post describing your feelings and I doubt you are alone in that. I'm glad you are feeling a little more positive. We have been staying home since March 14 at our daughter's request. I have groceries delivered and prescriptions too. All our community areas and social activities have been banned in the village.We can walk around the village keeping our distance and I still walk in the forest of a morning by myself. I love that time of the day. We were allowed to go to our library today one at a time on a rostered timetable. We grabbed a bag full of books. I am spending time writing my 3rd book of memoirs. Stay safe and your family too.

Vee said...

I remembered reading this as I reread this morning and I even remembered my comment, yet I don’t see it here so that comment must be a figment of my imagination. My remembered comment? You nurses know too much. ☺️ I am so glad that my NYC niece came home a month ago. NYC is in such troubling times. She is keeping her apartment so fat, but has moved on to a new apartment here in Maine. Trusting God always to help us through difficult times. Keep sharing your uniquely beautiful world, Pat.

Michelle said...

Thank you for linking up!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

You are so fortunate to have trails and open space near your house. I think that does a lot to keep people healthy and in a good mental frame of mind. Beautiful photos, and have a safe and healthy weekend.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Stay well and have a grand weekend! As grand as it can be confined to our homes!

Stevenson Q said...

Oh these views are spectacular! I really like the golden fields under blue skies that you shared!

Stevenson
Cavite Daily Photo
Stevenson Que Blog

Barbara said...

Pat, I'm 'late to the party' in leaving a comment on this post but wanted to say thank you for the words, the pictures, and the video from Denver news. You expressed well what so many of us are thinking.

Connecting to each other is so important. Blogging is one good way to do that.

Blessings on you and yours!