Sunday, August 16, 2020

Please Do Not Feed the Deer!


Sadly, my post this week is more of a public service announcement that I feel compelled to make.  I know many people feel they are being kind to wildlife by feeding them.  Over the years when I post photos of deer I've sometimes had a comment here, and on Facebook, as to if I was leaving "cracked corn" outside for the deer to eat? When I would answer that it is not only against the law in Colorado to feed any wildlife, but it is also dangerous to their health I'd sometimes get a return answer that they were only "trying to help,"  and that it was something that they do for their local deer. It isn't helping, it's hurting.  If you look at the photo collage of my neighbor's photos above you can see a young doe that suffered and died in a neighbor's yard this past week from eating food not compatible with a wild deer's digestive system. Her two fawns stayed by her side the entire time until she died.  The neighbor offered the doe water and called both our community's rangers and Colorado Parks and Wildlife services for help. She was told that the deer likely had Rumen Acidosis, and had a 50-50 chance of survival, as there is no treatment for it. In cases like this, they decide to let "nature take its course."  The poor deer sadly did not make it.

Rumen acidosis occurs when wild or domestic ruminants (deer, elk, moose, cattle, sheep, etc.) ingest large quantities of readily digestible and highly fermentable carbohydrates. Usually grain, corn, wheat, and barley are most commonly responsible for rumen acidosis, while apples, grapes, bread, and sugar beets are less commonly involved.  Also, large quantities of birdseed can have a deleterious effect on a deer's digestion.   If bird feeders are used they should be at least 10 feet off the ground so that the deer can't reach them.   In our area, we are advised not to hang bird feeders from March until November as bears will also be attracted to the birdseed.



A deer's normal diet consists of a lot of fiber from eating plants. They certainly seem to know the ones they like to eat!  Even in winter, they find enough food to exist.  I've seen them dig under the snow for dead leaves to eat, so I try not to rake all my leaves up in the fall.  

The good news for the twin fawns of the deer that died is that at this point in their development they are basically weaned and eating the same plants as adults.


The other good news is that the twin fawns seemed to have found another fawn to follow and its doe is allowing them to follow her too. Hopefully, they will continue to thrive.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife has a good article about why feeding wildlife does more harm than good and puts everyone at risk.  It's worth a read if you love nature--Feeding Wildlife Puts Everyone at Risk.



In other news in Colorado, there are four active wildfires in progress in our state.  Our state has experienced higher than usual temperatures and insignificant rain this summer.  For the first time in eight years, the entire state is in drought condition.  Thankfully, there has been no loss of life. Although these fires are located far from the Denver area we are getting much smoke blanketing the entire front range. Interstate 70 has been closed for the Grizzly Creek Fire and the Pibe Gulch Fire on the Western slope is turning into one of the largest ever fought in Colorado.
Our area is not immune from wildfire as the Black Forest Wildfire was one of the most destructive, and the Deer Creek Fire last summer was closer to home for us. 
The firefighters are working so hard--please say a prayer for their safety and also for a good drenching rain to pass through our state very soon--we really need it!  

Stay happy, safe, and healthy!

You can also find me on
 I'm linking this post to some of the following blog events:

 Mosaic Monday, All SeasonsBlue Monday, Through My Lens MondayLittle Cottage Link PartyHearth, and Soul Link PartyYou Are the Star Blog Hop, Inspire Me Monday,  Good Random FunNature NotesGrand SocialTravel Photos, Photo TunesHappiness Is HomemadeOver the Moon, Our World TuesdayRuby TuesdayTuesday Turn AboutTuesdays With A TwistLet's Keep In TouchWordless Wednesday on a Tuesday,  Party in Your PJ'sWordless WednesdayNanahood WWOh My Heartsie Girl's Wonderful Wednesday, Your Whims WednesdayWednesday My Corner of the WorldWonderful Wednesday Little Things ThursdayThankful ThursdayThursday Encouraging Hearts and Home,  Thursday Thinking Out Loud, Friendship FridaysFriday Features Linky Party, Skywatch FridayPink Saturday


Bookmark and Share

40 comments:

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Such a sad series of events near you, Pat. Thank you for informing us about the dangers of feeding wildlife. I'm happy to hear the young deer are doing okay. Sadly deer seem to be a problem in many neighborhoods. The poor things have no place to go. Praying for rain and wildfire control in your state.

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

So good to know, Pat. Thank you for sharing! Hoping you stay safe from the fires; and just an aside, I LOVE seeing your FaceBook and Instagram food posts. You seem to be an incredible cook. Take care.

Gillena Cox said...

Happy Monday. Stay safe

Much🦌love

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Pat

It is so sad to hear about the deer being sick and dying. The little ones are so cute, I love seeing the deer. I have heard of other people feeding the deer corn, it is not good to feed the wildlife. The wildfires are scary, I hope everyone stays safe and your get some much needed rain. Take care, enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy new week!

EricaSta said...

Very sad, reading about the fire. Thank you for sharing your Post.
Stay healthy and well.

Happy MosaicMonday

Maggie said...

I was sad to hear that the doe had died , I hope that your message regarding not feeding the wild deer reaches the right ears.
Glad to know though that the twins have joined another little family and hopefully will survive.
Those wildfires sound frightening, thankfully I've never experienced anything like that, stay well and stay safe.

Martha said...

It's good that you post about why you shouldn't feed wildlife. We have so many problems here in Florida too but it's usually to do with the larger birds and our beautiful dolphins. If people are uninformed they think they are doing a good thing by feeding them. It's very sad. I'm glad the little fawns have been "adopted." The weather and natural disasters seem to be as crazy as everything else has been this year. Stay safe!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Your post is most informative. I didn't know about the role grains could play in the demise of some animals. I've never attempted to feed wild life, aside from birds, so this is good to know Thank you! Keep well and safe!

Marielle said...

This is such important information. I know people don't mean harm, so thank you for educating about the importance of not feeding the deer. Have a great week!

ellen b. said...

Ugh...I'm always so sad to hear about wildfires. Hope the ones in Colorado and other places get under control soon. We don't ever feed deer and they pick and choose what they want to eat in our yard. Hope you have a good week.

Jeanie said...

Thank you for sharing this. It's really critical info for those of us in deer areas. The same goes for feeding bread to ducks. If you can't feed them official duck food, let them find it in their environment because the bread puff in their stomachs and a bad scene.

I know people mean well... but meaning well means not feeding.

NCSue said...

Thank you for the information.
And thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/08/the-end-of-line.html

Sylvia said...

Pat, Thanks for the heads up. I don't feed wildlife and a remember a story I heard years ago about butterflies that had to struggle to get out of the chrysalis. They NEED to do this so if helped they will die. Nature knows best! Have a great week. Sylvia D.

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is really sad to think that people are trying to help, but in the end they are doing more harm than good.

Rhonda Gales said...

I'm sorry to hear about the doe. They come through my backyard ocassionally, but I never feed them. They love the fallen apples from my neighbor's tree, so they head over there to feast. It's nice to know the fawns have found a new family. A local farm sells "deer corn", and I see them in the corn fields after harvest munching. So, I'm surprised to hear that it wasn't good for them. Stay safe from the fires.

stevebethere said...

That was quite sad really as for people feeding them when there's big notices up telling them not to it just doesn't make sense sometimes

Have a deertastic safe week Pat 😷😷😷

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Thank you for posting the public service announcement! When I posted photos on Facebook of deer in my back yard, a couple of people commented and asked if I had been feeding them. My answer was a resounding NO. In a way, however, I guess I was feeding them because they ate all my tulips in spring and most of my roses and hosta blooms in summer.
So sad about the doe, but I'm glad the fawns have a chance to survive without her.

Angie said...

Pat - thank you so much for the public service announcement. Sometimes people just need a little information to save an animal's life. So sorry to hear about the wildfires there. Knock on wood, Northwest Montana has not had any significant wildfires so far this summer. Thanks for linking up to Mosaic Monday!

Rain said...

Hi Pat :) Yes, I totally agree with you. We don't feed the deer around here for various reasons. Mainly, this is a hunting area and we don't want them to get used to being near the hunters that live here. I used to live in an area where an older man used to feed black bears...that was crazy. Sad to see the doe died though, that makes me feel really sad.

Dawn said...

We have so much wildlife that comes into our yard, this breaks my heart. I do feed the squirrels and birds BUT I've done a lot of research and during the winter we sometimes will put out a block for the deer. I may rethink that one. It looks like the fawns will be okay but still so sad for them.
Thank you for sharing
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

Tanza Erlambang said...

I agree with you that don't feed wild animals....
great shot of three fawn...cute little deer

R's Rue said...

Thank you for sharing this information

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I'm glad the doe is letting the twin fawns be part of her family. The death of the fawns' mommy is so very sad and unnecessary. Poor mama. Thanks this post!

Two Chicks and a Mom said...

That is so sad--that poor doe! Your post is a great service so others know not to feed wildlife.

Mandy said...

I had no idea deer could die from eating grain. Thanks for sharing and providing that psa. I've never tried to feed deer before, but now I definitely won't.

with Love,
Mandy

the 4 M's said...

Thanks for this post: while we don't feed wild life, it is interesting to read the reasoning for how it affects them badly. We have lot of deer around here and didn't think about the birdfeeders. Thankfully, the deer don't come to our yard but they are around the neighborhood.
www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

Ciao Chow Linda said...

How sad that those deer lost their mama, when it could easily have been avoided. Thanks for informing people of the dangers of feeding wild animals.

betty-NZ said...

I think it's in our nature to 'help' wildlife, but it's not really helping. I'm glad the fawns are doing OK.
I didn't know your state had wildfires (I don't read much news) but I pray you stay safe and they are all put out soon.

Your link is a wonderful addition to 'My Corner of the World'!! Thanks for being here this week.

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh my, that is just so sad to hear about the deer. Pat, thank you for sharing that necessary information. Those wildfires, just heartbreaking too. Please stay safe.
Have a good afternoon.
Nancy

mvmaithai said...

Funny I saw this post today. I was visiting a friend this morning, and she showed me the doe they were feeding in their backyard. I will definitely send a link to this blog post to her.

Back home, I saw 2 deer grazing in the woody hills. Haven't seen deer up there in a long time.

Aritha V. said...

So sad, that dear. But it was good to read. And you have a new follower on Instagram now: me. (fotorieth)

Jim said...

Bushfires are scary.

Owlfarmer said...

We had to stop feeding birds when we discovered that the feeders were attracting the rodents that had begun to infest the house, and the squirrels (who stole a great deal of the birdfeed) were becoming much too prolific. They steal most of our pecans and pears long before we can harvest them. We have no deer, but bobcats and coyotes are often seen lurking in the evenings and early mornings, having been forced from their habitats by suburban sprawl. So thank you for making the problems humans are causing so vividly clear.

I had also just heard of the fire near Grand Junction, where friends live, and looked at my radar map's wildfire layer only to find that the entire western half of the US seems to be engulfed in flames. So I hope you stay safe and keep driving home the need for people to think more carefully about their actions!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

This is actually a great public service announcement. Unfortunately, we sometimes love wildlife to death by feeding them. Please stay safe during your local wildfires. We have many here in CA too. Scary times!

Lowcarb team member said...

So many people mean well and think they are doing the right thing ...
Good post and reminder.

Please stay safe and well.

All the best Jan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my gosh, I have seen feed stores that advertise corn for deer feed . How awful, more people should know this .., an excellent public service announcement. The poor doe. Interesting that the fawns found another doe to follow. It takes a village ??

Rambling Woods said...

Pat..a friend of mine is a whitetail deer rehabber and that is her specialty. How do they know what the doe died of or was that a guess? I have to ask Lorraine about the symptoms of that that could be told by just looking at the doe. She mostly takes orphaned and injured fawns but does deal with adults also. When fawns are transitioning to natural foods, she has to go out and get branches and shrubs for them. They do get a grain that is formulated for deer and some fruit, but they prefer browse which makes me wonder if the doe was looking for easy food as she was ill. No feeding is not a good idea. That person must feel awful. I will let you know what the deer rehabber says...

Rambling Woods said...

Thanks for letting me know. I recently took a wildlife rehabber class on white-tail deer so I am learning also. I know that grain especially corn is empty calories and that deer have a gut system set up for spring/summer browse and then fall/winter browse..I wanted to ask Lorraine as I had not seen nor did I look at the sick deer photo. This is a sad but important post.

Katie Mansfield said...

I had no idea. This had to be heartbreaking to watch. Poor babies.

diane b said...

That is sad news about the deer. You are so right about not feeding wildlife. We are not allowed to feed our native animals and birds. I'm not sure that it is a criminal offence but it is advertised in all the parks not to feed them. Your drought and fires sounds like our last summer. I hope not too many homes are lost.
Our grandchildren are being homeschooled as all schools are closed in Victoria where there has been a second wave of infections worse than the first. We are lucky in Queensland with very low numbers and our restrictions are not too severe. However our border is closed to Victorians so we can't have visits from the family.