Sunday, August 9, 2020

Happy Trails




"Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you..."

~ Dale Evans

You can watch Dale Evans and her husband Roy Rogers sing the entire song on YouTube on this link.

I remember hearing Dale and Roy sing that song during my childhood. It made me imagine riding a horse up into the mountains along a dusty trail.  I'm walking on those trails these days, and glad to have over forty-five miles of them, almost in my backyard!


It has been a wonderful outlet to be able to go out and walk in different directions in the cool mornings and see and hear nature while staying socially distanced from others during this pandemic.




My husband plows ahead at a quick pace and I lag behind stopping to take a photo of this or that--a wildflower, or rock formation, or clouds in the sky...




...their combinations are too beautiful not to admire!


I do take a lot of photos!  They make me happy!





With so many trails to chose from our views are varied. In the photo above we are hiking west up towards the foothills with a view of our community in the foreground and then the hogback formations to the east.


The foothills loom over our valley and look so close, but we have to hike far to reach towards their top.  Most of our neighbors like to mountain bike on these trails. 

Wild Yucca

The Colorado foothills climate is considered high desert, with hot days in summer followed by cool evenings and nights,  We have had a very hot summer this year with temperatures in the 90's F (32 C) and it has been unusually dry so that our entire state in drought.



Even with the drought, we've seen many beautiful wildflowers on our trail walks.


The silvery lupines were prolific in July!



The Prickly Poppies were also plentiful.


More wildflowers along the trails



"Who cares about the clouds when we're together?...


...Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather..."


One morning we were entertained by watching a young girl train her horse ...


...and it is always fun to pass some friendly wildlife on our walks.


"Happy trails to you, until we meet again

Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then."

Thanks for coming along on some of our Colorado trails with me. 

Stay happy, safe, and healthy!

You can also find me on
 I'm linking this post to some of the following blog events:

 Mosaic Monday, All SeasonsBlue Monday, Through My Lens MondayLittle Cottage Link PartyHearth, and Soul Link PartyYou Are the Star Blog Hop, Inspire Me Monday,  Good Random FunNature NotesGrand SocialTravel Photos, Photo TunesHappiness Is HomemadeOver the Moon, Our World TuesdayRuby TuesdayTuesday Turn AboutTuesdays With A TwistLet's Keep In TouchWordless Wednesday on a Tuesday,  Party in Your PJ'sWordless WednesdayNanahood WWOh My Heartsie Girl's Wonderful Wednesday, Your Whims WednesdayWednesday My Corner of the WorldWonderful Wednesday Little Things ThursdayThankful ThursdayThursday Encouraging Hearts and Home,  Thursday Thinking Out Loud, Friendship FridaysFriday Features Linky Party, Skywatch FridayPink Saturday

Bookmark and Share

40 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

The new blogger format has really played havoc with my photos on this post. Sorry for the zig-zag formation.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I figured out how to fix it! I can see this new blog edit format will keep me learning new things.

Lady Fi said...

Such beautiful shots!

Maggie said...

Happy Trails indeed, the wildflower mosaics are truly beautiful. How lucky you are to have such stunning countryside on your doorstep, with so many interesting things to see along the way.
Happy MM.
Maggie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

You do live in a beautiful place, great for hiking. The views of the mountains and rock formations are just wonderful. The wildflowers are all beautiful. Love the horses and the cute deer. Beautiful photos.
Happy Trails to you! Have a happy day and a great week!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I loved Roy and Dale growing up! What a beautiful place you have for your walks.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I grew up singing that song and playing like I was a cowgirl! Love your hike and photos of all this beauty. I like to take my time and photograph everything too! WAIT UP !!!! heehee! Hugs!

Tom said...

...Happy Trails, I guess so.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You are so blessed to be able to walk these trails together with your husband. Thank-you for taking the time to get all these lovely pictures. Pictures make me happy as well.

Joanne said...

What beautiful views on your trails! We too have been having lots of fun hiking (when it's not sweltering hot).

Janice Smith said...

What wonderful photos and happy memories of Roy and Dale.

Wishing you happy, healthy trails ahead! Stay safe.

Lydia C. Lee said...

Those rock formations are striking - I like the photo where the clouds are peaking over the mountain....looks like a lovely day!!

NCSue said...

Such gorgeous scenery. Lovely photos.
Thanks for joining us at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/08/play-time.html

ellen b. said...

I remember listening to Dale and Roy, too. Those trails are happy trails. So pretty.

Joyful said...

Absolutely beautiful out on the trail. It looked to be a fantastic day for a hike.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Pat - Those trails are gorgeous and would lure anyone off a sedentary lifestyle. You and Vinny are so lucky to live there, enjoying your kids and grandkids and each other - amid beautiful natural surroundings.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I enjoyed seeing all your photos and loved the one with the surprised looking deer! I remember Dale Evans n and happy trails .. I'm going to go listen to them now.. thanks

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh how I loved this post. Great childhood memories of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans .... and Bill and I visited their museum when it was still in Apple Valley CA ....I was in heaven (there was Trigger! Looking alive. And everything you might remember from the Saturday Matinees)....oh, where was I... oh yeah, 70 years later ;)))! And your lovely post ... your husband way ahead while you stop to take pictures reminds me of thecColorado walks I’ve taken with my DIL ... in my case, I use taking pictures as an excuse for lagging behind on the trails. She tries, but is in such good shape she couldn’t possibly go as slow as I have to! ..... but like you, taking pictures makes me happy. And so does being outside. It is life-saving right now! .... thanks for the fun post. Take care, stay well!

Angie said...

Pat - you always have lovely photos, but you have outdone yourself with this post. The rock formations framing the clouds are so stunning I am lost for words. You and I are alike in that we are trailing our husbands, always with an eye out for a good photo! I recognized many of the flowers - isn't it amazing that they can grow AND bloom in the midst of such drought? Thanks for bringing this spectacular beauty to everyone at Mosaic Monday!

Michele Morin said...

One consolation of having our son move to Colorado is that we get to visit. It truly is a beautiful state!

diane b said...

It is great to be able to get out into nature during these times. You are lucky to have so many trails close by. I love being in the forest away from people and panic.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Beautiful photos and yes i still remember the song - Happy Trails to you!

Lowcarb team member said...

A wonderful post, such beautiful photographs.

All the best Jan

Yvonne said...

Such a beautiful place. You are so fortunate. When I lived in Colorado Springs, we saw most of the state in that time period of seven years. It's one of the prettiest states I've been in. I never worried much about ticks like I do here.

Jeanie said...

This is remarkably beautiful country and your photos catch every detail so sharply. I love seeing all the wildflowers. What a grand day!

Sylvia said...

Pat, It is wonderful to have a lot of options for walking. Beautiful flower and blue skies! Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.

Little Wandering Wren said...

This was a happy post for us all! What a joy to be living in such a stunning part of the world. Your photos are amazing. Loved this post, keep taking those pics we love them too! Happy wanderings!
Wren x

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

In our family it is my wife who plows on ahead and I am behind taking photos and checking things out.

What a great resource to have so close to your house. Hiking, trailrunning, and bicycling have saved my life during this pandemic.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

You have some really gorgeous skies!! Some trivia: The Sons of the Pioneers purchased some desert property where they could hang out and film their westerns. Today it's called Pioneer Town, not far from Joshua Tree. A fun place to visit!

rupam sarma said...

Amazing place, awesome pics.

Nanda kumar said...

mesmerizing views

Jim said...

Great views.

Annie said...

I can hear Roy Rogers singing his Happy Trails theme song. Always beautiful photos.

Barb said...

You're so lucky to have such beautiful trails mostly to yourselves. The weather in the mountains has been so lovely, but now we're impacted by the wildfire smoke. Today, we have to stay inside. Keeping walking, Pat!

Klara said...

gorgeous.

Michelle said...

Beautiful pictures and that first quote is so true...it's the way you ride that counts! We all need to remember that. Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend.

Tanza Erlambang said...

interesting trail with beautiful views

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

How great to see the great outdoors!

mvmaithai said...

What a beautiful trail! Love all your pictures.

Does your husband complain about you being slow? Mine does, 'cos like you, I'm always stopping to take pictures.

Maria (also Bia) said...

I was in Colorado last year and the hiking there was AMAZING!

BTW, I love the name of your blog!