Sunday, February 28, 2021

Snowy Colorado

Regarding Winter......

"One must have a mind of winter 

To regard the frost and the boughs 

of the pine-trees crusted with snow;

And have been cold a long time

To behold the junipers shagged with ice,

the spruces rough in the distant glitter

of the sun."

~ Wallace Stevens




We had quite a snowfall this past week! 

Denver’s total February snowfall total now stands at 13.5 inches, solidifying the city’s third straight "snowier than normal" February. The total seasonal snowfall total sits just below 34 inches, which is right on track with the long-term normal through the end of February for the Denver area. March is typically Denver’s snowiest month of the year so, hopefully, our state will be above normal in snowpack this year, which will benefit our reservoirs and rivers. 

 Did you know that snowmelt from Colorado furnishes water for seven other states? We love snow!


I live in a suburb of Denver, in a community next to the foothills and we had 9.6 inches of snow this storm instead of Denver's 12 plus inches.  The good thing about snow along the Colorado front range is that the dry ground almost immediately begins to soak up the moisture and the hot sunshine melts it quickly. 



A drive through my neighborhood the day after the snowfall.



"Snow was falling,
so much like stars
filling the dark trees
that one could easily imagine
its reason for being was nothing more
than prettiness.”

~ Mary Oliver




We leave the leaves from our trees on the ground in the fall as we know the deer come by to eat them all winter.  They will dig under the snow looking for them.




This little fawn hiding amused me during the snowstorm.  He hid under a pine tree that is next to my window. He kept peeking out, but didn't want to get wet! Happily, his Mother came for him after a little while when the snow stopped falling.
,



Happy month of March! 

The month of February seemed to fly by for me.  The collage above shows many happy occasions we had last month...Valentine roses, a chocolate heart cake that I made, a granddaughter's birthday and her first time skiing, two other grandchildren's Valentine mailboxes they made to bring to school to collect their Valentine cards, homemade beignets for Mardi Gras, and delicious Lemon Pound Cakes, using Ina Garten's recipe. They were so good!  A bit of lemony sunshine to brighten up a winter day.

Are there signs of spring where you are or is winter holding on a bit longer?

 Stay healthy and safe!

You can also find me on


I'm linking this post to some of the following blog events:

 Mosaic Monday, All SeasonsBlue Monday, Through My Lens MondayLittle Cottage Link PartyHearth, and Soul Link PartyYou Are the Star Blog Hop, Inspire Me MondayHome Matters Linky Party,  Good Random FunNature NotesGrand SocialTravel Photos, Travel TuesdayHappiness Is HomemadeOver the MoonCreate, Bake, Make Our World TuesdayRuby TuesdayTuesday Turn AboutTuesdays With A TwistLet's Keep In TouchWordless Wednesday on a Tuesday,  Party in Your PJ'sWordless WednesdayNanahood WWOh My Heartsie Girl's Wonderful Wednesday, Your Whims WednesdayWednesday My Corner of the WorldWonderful Wednesday Little Things ThursdayThankful ThursdayThursday Encouraging Hearts and Home,  Thursday Thinking Out Loud, Friendship FridaysFriday Features Linky Party, Skywatch FridayPink Saturday, Saturday CrittersSunday on Silverado 

Bookmark and Share

36 comments:

Shiju Sugunan said...

Beautiful winter images!

Rambling Woods said...

To answer your question- Yes the deer I talked about could pass the defect on, but Piebaldism is a recessive trait; it is believed that both parents must carry the recessive gene for there to be a chance that they will produce piebald fawns. Lorraine has had at least one piebald fawn in her care that had some issues but was able to be released.

Gillena Cox said...

Happy month of March. Happy mosaic Monday. Warm wishes

MuchπŸ’—love

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat,

Happy March! Cute photos of your grandchildren. I do enjoy seeing the beautiful snow covered mountains. Maryland has had a snowy February, I am hoping the March is warmer and sunnier, I have had enough of the cold temps. Your photos are beautiful! Have a happy day and a great new week!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Colorado snow is so different the NY snow! Since I am now living in Florida everyday feels like spring.

Ruth Hiebert said...

All that snow looks so beautiful and it is what is needed to keep water supplies up. We will need a lot of rain if we don't get more snow soon.

Taken For Granted said...

With such fine looking snow it is time to go skiing. There must be a place you can go that is not too far away.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

You really capture the beauty of Colorado in winter

Barbara Rogers said...

Such lovely photos...and I admit to liking the fawn best. But grands and snow are certainly worth looking at too!

NCSue said...

I feel like we've turned the corner from winter to spring now but your snow photos are pretty.
Thanks for sharing with us at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/03/bad-memory.html

Joanne said...

I did know that the snowfall in Colorado impacted a few other states as we talked quite a bit about the drop in Lake Mead with our tour guide when we went to the Hoover Dam. Here's hoping you have record snowfall, I guess! :) Your photos really are beautiful.

Lydia C. Lee said...

Those snow shots are gorgeous!

stevebethere said...

What nice wintry pics love snowy ones :-)

I like the goodies to hope you saved me some heheh!

Have a caketastic safe week 😷😷😷
and a happy birthday to your granddaughter πŸŽπŸŽˆπŸŽ‚πŸ°

Jeanie said...

I always love snow in someone else's environment more than out my front door. But then, look at those views! It's a stunner! Those hills, the pines. I know you rely on snow for a good deal of water in the later months so it looks like you got it! And I adore the deer!

ellen b. said...

Pretty photos of your snow and deer. Glad you are getting a good amount of snow. Fun February celebrations. Happy March to you.

William Kendall said...

The deer are a delight!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

And I thought we got a lot of snow this year! Well, actually when you're shoveling snow for the fourth or fifth time, it gets a little old! Your area looks beautiful covered in the white stuff, and the wildlife photos are beautiful.

Angie said...

Pat - well, you know Old Man Winter is holding on tight here in Montana!!! Your snowy pictures are so lovely - and you don't have to worry about driving in it when the sun comes along to melt what's on the roads! How kind of you to leave "food" out for the deer. They get to looking pretty skinny around here this time of year! Glad you are enjoying some family celebrations -- it feels like there is hope at last! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Ooh the lemon pound cake sounds amazing and your beignets too...did you make chicory coffee to go with? (I sort of hope the answer to that is ‘no’ ...I have to admit that was the one typical liquid refreshment I did not enjoy.). I’m so glad you had some get togethers with your grands (and their parents) again. We’re still waiting for our vaccine and it’s still too cold to enjoy outdoor visits. Spring is definitely on the way however.

lesh Stgermain said...

I remember he beauty of snow in Colorado! In my opinion, the mountains make it extra festive and less intimidating. Love your view of the two deer in the snow. Boy, you had a busy February month! Altogether a joyful post for all Seasons! Have a lovely week, Jesh

Tanza Erlambang said...

I knew there is snow even in early summer in Colorado....
beautiful views...great shots

Donna @ Modern on Monticello said...

The fawn is so adorable. All of your photos are gorgeous. I hope you enjoy the last few weeks of winter. Thank you for sharing. #HomeMattersParty

Barb said...

I'm glad you got that much-needed snow, Pat. I think the mountains will hold onto snow awhile longer - probably into May at least. However, today was so sunny, I sat on the deck (in my jacket) and ate lunch. The fawn playing peek-a-boo was very cute. I love anything lemon so pinned the bread recipe.

Arun Goyal said...

Your place looks winter wonderland, the roses looks so fresh . It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to Gardening, Nature shots and birds here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2021/02/garden-affair-spring-flower-schizanthus.html

EricaSta said...

Yes... I agree with your opinion, the February fly by and nie we hope on springtime. The snowy scenes are beautiful... but I wishing the green for spring now.

Stay healthy and well, dear blogfriend.

Happy MosaicMonday

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Absolutely beautiful photos! So glad to hear you are getting all this snow. We are way below average for our precipitation, and Sierra Nevada snowpack is below average as well, so another dry year for us.

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous snowy scenes.
Happy March Wishes.

All the best Jan

Jim said...

Beautiful scenery.

Light and Voices said...

Greetings and Salutations from Illinois! We had about 18 inches in one snow storm then one inch at a time daily for a while in February. Finally, we have 40 degree weather, blue skies and guess what spring bulbs are peeking through dirt and we can see green grass. It does exist after all. Spring is right around the corner here. I never put away the snow shovel for quite a while. We never know when it will snow here again. LOL! Lovely area that you live in. All those deserts look inviting. Keep enjoying the moments with family.

Michele Morin said...

Thanks for that Mary Oliver poem—new to me! Glad snow is functional as well as pretty.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Magnificent photos!!! Were just getting over our frigid temps and snow. Now the river is up at flood stage. And this too shall pass. I hope. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

Rambling Woods said...

In years that we don't get enough snowfall it leads to a drought here...

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat,
Beautiful views of the snow and your winter wonderland. The deer photos are cute, I love the little fawn peeping out. I am glad you and the family had a great month of February, I hope March is even better. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy new week! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

betty-NZ said...

The snow does look pretty but it's nice to know it will not last forever :)

I'm glad to see you this week at 'My Corner of the World'!

Michelle said...

I love seeing this snow. I wish we had a bit more snow here in Kentucky, but we are not equipped to deal with it! lol Thanks for linking up!

Jeanne said...

Nice to know others still have snow. Still snow on the ground, no daffodils here yet. Beautiful pictures!