Sunday, June 13, 2021

Meeting a Fellow Blogger in the Mountains

I was happy to receive a message on my phone that a blogger who lives in Manhattan was going to be visiting Breckenridge, Colorado, for a week and asked if my husband and I had some time to visit.  She wasn't sure how far away we were from that pretty ski town but we told her it was totally doable and set a time and date. I was a little worried that she would feel a bit of a headache and tired from the high elevation--NYC is at sea level and the town of Breckenridge is at 9600 feet (2926 m), and gave her some high altitude hints and told her to take her first few days easy.   We set off for our visit by driving west on Interstate 70 up into the Rockies!  I always love the view you see in the photos above as we approach the Genesee area. (All photos and collages will enlarge when clicked on)


The drive up is always beautiful, especially when the mountains are still snow-capped.



When we drove into Breckenridge I saw that the gondolas that go up to the ski lodge were not moving.  We found out that this was a shoulder season between winter and summer activities at the lodges so they were on a break until later in June.

 


Pat on the left, Carol on the right


Here we are! Carol Zwick of the blog "Buttercup Counts Her Blessings" and I was meeting again after quite a few years!  It was so good to see her and we had a lot to talk about.


We had lunch together at a local bistro in Breckenridge and we then decided to take a drive over scenic Hoosier Pass into Fairplay.   The pass is located on the Continental Divide at the northern end of the Mosquito Range, at an (elevation of 11,542 ft (3,518 m))




We went to the town of Fairplay, located in South Park, at an elevation of 9,953 feet (3,034 m). We were told not to miss their dramatic new sign at the junction of US 285!  The sign gives homage to the fact that the town was founded during the Pikes Peak Gold Rush days.  The town was named by settlers who were upset by the generous mining claims given to the earliest prospectors and promised a more equitable system for its residents


We visited the South Park City Museum in Fairplay. I love this outdoor museum that consists of actual Gold Rush era and pioneer buildings that have been restored and preserved. There are forty-four authentic buildings filled with over 60,000 vintage artifacts that were donated by local Coloradans, and that portray most of the economic and social aspects of boomtown life. Seven of the buildings are on their original sites; the others have been moved from abandoned camps and ghost towns in South Park.  We were told that soon another building would be added to the museum--a county jail!  I've blogged about South Park City Museum before--click here.


The gold and silver mining aspect of the South Park area is shown in many exhibits...



...as well as what everyday life was like during those times from 1860 to 1900.



I could have spent hours examing all the authentic vintage artifacts! Each building has displays!



There are also displays about the Native Americans who once lived and hunted in South Park. The displays above are arrowheads and spear points found in the area.



After our visit to the South Park City Museum, it was time to drive Carol back to Breckenridge. We returned over Hoosier Pass, enjoying the mountains vistas until we reached her hotel.




It was a wonderful day in the Rockies!  We enjoyed seeing Carol again and catching up on New York City news, and I know she enjoyed seeing a part of Colorado she's never visited before and learning some Colorado history at the South Park City Museum.



What is new around here? This past week I enjoyed wonderful birthday celebrations with my family! My husband and our youngest granddaughter and I all have birthdays in early June, so there was lots of cake and lots of fun.  My roses began to bloom on my birthday--always a pleasure to see, and it is the baby fawn season! Aren't they cute?

You can also find me on


I'm linking this post to some of the following blog events:

 Mosaic MondayBlue Monday, Through My Lens MondayHearth, and Soul Link PartyYou Are the Star Blog Hop, Inspire Me MondayHome Matters Linky Party,  Good Random FunNature NotesGrand SocialTravel Photos, Travel TuesdayHappiness Is Homemade, Create, Bake, MakeOur World TuesdayRuby TuesdayTuesdays With A TwistLet's Keep In TouchWordless Wednesday on a Tuesday,  Party in Your PJ'sWordless WednesdayOh My Heartsie Girl's Wonderful Wednesday, Wednesday My Corner of the WorldWonderful Wednesday Little Things ThursdayThankful ThursdayThursday Encouraging Hearts and Home,  Thursday Thinking Out Loud, Friday With FriendsFriendship FridaysA Morning Cup of JoeFriday Features Linky Party, Skywatch FridayPink SaturdaySaturday SparksSaturday CrittersSunday on Silverado

Bookmark and Share

46 comments:

Angie said...

Pat - how wonderful to connect with a fellow blogger, especially someone from your old digs! I have spent many vacations in Breck, but somehow never made it to Fairplay. Now I wish I had -- that museum is right up my alley. Thanks so much for the tour - I almost feel like I have been there. And belated happy birthday to all those celebrating in June! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

diane b said...

How nice to meet a blogger friend and in such picturesque surroundings. happy Birthday too.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat,
It is wonderful you were able to meet up with your blogger friend. I am sure it was fun to go sight seeing together. The display of arrowheads is cool. I love the mountain views. Wishing a Happy Birthday to you and your hubby and granddaughter. Have a happy day and a great week!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hello and belated Happy 🎂 birthday wishes from a first time blog visitor who read about your reunion with fellow NYC blogger Carol on her blog. How wonderful to meet up again and share a wonderful day of adventures. We have met a few bloggers over the years and it’s always been wonderful to meet up in person. Bloggers are a great community.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

How great that the two of you met up! I remember we tried that once when we visited NYC but you were unable to met.....

NCSue said...

How nice to meet a cyberfriend in person!
Thanks for joining this week's party at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/06/a-visit-to-garden.html

Lisa said...

What a fun time, and beautiful scenery.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What fun to get to spend time with Carol! I know she loved seeing the sights there in Co! You take the best photos of the mountains and wildlife! I hope I get to travel out West again some day! I want to go back to Vail!

EricaSta said...

Thats what I missed during Corona. It's a great pleasure to meet other friends again. Especially like you here wrote.

Thank you for sharing. Have a good week.

Barbara said...

This is a wonderful post, Pat, with such great photography (as is so characteristic of you). It was good of you to give your friend the high altitude tips. I have done the same when we had visitors when we lived in Colorado. I definitely suffer from high altitude headaches but once I learned a few helpful things, I handled it so much better.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I haven't met too many fellow bloggers IRL but when I do I love it. Nice to see three dimensional faces for one thing. And it's kind of like you know them already in many respects and don't know anything in other respects.

ellen b. said...

It's always so much fun to meet a fellow blogger. Glad you had a nice visit.

Joanne said...

That sounds like such a fun day together!

Nellie said...

How wonderful that you were able to visit with Carol! She happened to come through our town a couple of years ago, and we had a lot of fun with lunch at the “happiest place in America,” as ABC calls Yassin’s Falafel House. You have such lovely pictures of places you visit! I know Carol was happy to be able to spend time with you!

Lydia C. Lee said...

I had a mini blogger meet up on the weekend too - but without a spectacular view!! It's nice when you click with people. #Allseasons

stevebethere said...

Wha a fab post loved all those photos and goodies :-)

Looked like a lot of fun meeting up too

Have a fellowbloggertastic week 👍

Photo Cache said...

What a joy to meet a fellow blogger/friend in person.

Worth a Thousand Words

Ruth Hiebert said...

How wonderful to meet a blogging friend and even better that it happened around your birthday.

William Kendall said...

Majestic mountains! I have met two fellow bloggers in person.

Little Wandering Wren said...

How fabulous! Carol and I met on her visit to Melbourne a couple of years ago, we had a wonderful time. It is always fun to meet other bloggers as you have some of the details but just need to fill in the gaps! I hope I get to meet you one day in Colorado too Pat.
Have a great week
Wren x

rupam sarma said...

So beautiful post and pics.

Jeanie said...

The South Park City Museum is fascinating. I'd love to see a spot like that! I'm so glad you could connect with Carol. I enjoy her blog, especially her book blog. She doesn't write in that one often and I wish she would more!

LOVE the fawns!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely post and how nice to meet up with a fellow blogger.
Lovely photographs and mosaics.

Happy birthday wishes.
That's a lovely rose and yes baby fawns are so cute.

All the best Jan

the 4 M's said...

Beautiful scenery and so fun to meet up with a fellow blogger in real life!
www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

suituapui said...

The views are absolutely stunning! I love meeting fellow-bloggers too, one of the perks of blogging, making new friends along the way.

Donna @ Modern on Monticello said...

How very special to spend time with an online friend. I am so glad you were able to get together. #HomeMattersParty

Create With Joy said...

Thanks for joining us this week at Friendship Friday at Create With Joy! I loved your photos and hearing about your meeting with a fellow blogger !:-)

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I think meeting a blogger in real life would be wonderful. What a location for a meet too. Your photos are so beautiful.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's great to connect with a fellow blogger. I've done that a couple times, and it's so rewarding. I love the arrowhead collection. I also like the pharmacy bottle collection. It's a beauty!

Michelle said...

Nice to see that you were able to visit with a fellow blogger. Thanks for linking up and glad to see you had a great b-day on FB.

Jocelyn said...

How fun is that!

Pisi Prkl said...

Lovely place!

Buttercup said...

What wonderful memories! So glad that we got to spend the day together. Many thanks and a big hug.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Love the photos you shared. What a gorgeous place!! So fabulous that you got to meet in person at such a beautiful area.

-Soma

Nanda kumar said...

Truly gorgeous pictures. Glad to see bloggers can meet up. Hope this pandemic vanishes soon

Jim said...

Beautiful scenery.

April J Harris said...

How lovely to catch up with a blogging friend, Pat! I have meet a few of my fellow bloggers both online and in real life and I have made some fast friends. In fact, I am missing visiting my California blogging friends - it has been a long time because of Covid. Your post is such a great way of demonstrating how blogging creates community.

I loved the pictures of the museum as well - talk about history coming to life. Thank you for sharing and for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party Community.

I'm so pleased you had a lovely birthday as well.

I’m featuring this post at the party this week. It goes live Sunday and I hope to ‘see’ you there! Take care, stay well, and I wish you a wonderful weekend!

Light and Voices said...

Greetings and Salutations! It was so nice that you three could meet up and explore Colorado together. Fellow bloggers how cool is that? Looks like you had a good time.

Martha said...

It's always so nice to connect with blogging friends in person. The views there are just amazing! Thanks for sharing all these fantastic photos with us. Belated Happy Birthday! :)

betty-NZ said...

What a nice day to meet! The scenery is so marvelous and the sky is amazing.

Thanks for choosing to share your link this week at 'My Corner of the World'!

Ann said...

What fun to meet a fellow blogger! Thank you for sharing at Party In Your PJ's.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Such gorgeous scenery! Enjoyed looking at all these photos.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat,
You live in such a beautiful place and picked a great spot to meet your blogger friend.
The views of the mountains are gorgeous. I like the cool town and museum. The deer are so cute, I love the fawns. I hope you all have some fun birthday celebrations and Happy Father's Day to the men in your family. Cute photos, great post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, have a great new week ahead. PS, thank you for visiting my blog.

Rain said...

Hi Pat :)) Oh you live in a beautiful area, and how amazing to meet up with Carol!! :) We all seem to know each other so well through our blogs that I'm sure it was a lovely visit! The photos of that museum...golly what a great place, thanks so much for sharing!! :) Oh, I couldn't get my eyes off that burger lol! :)

Louca por porcelana said...

Awesome post. Best wishes.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Such gorgeous photos and what a happy occasion! Meeting up with blogging friends--or getting together again--has been one of the true joys of my life! Happy for you both! :-)

Visiting from Hearth and Soul ...
Shirley