Sunday, December 12, 2021

Finally Some Snow! Merry Christmas!


Thank you to all who expressed concern in their comments on my last blog post over the wildfire that was burning in our local foothills. Thankfully, the brave firefighters made many firebreaks and there was a light snowfall that night which helped contain the fires until they could be extinguished.  Later that week we received a long-awaited snow accumulation of 2 inches!



 

After the unusually warm autumn we had, it was a welcome sight to see snow instead of very dry tinder in our hills! 




A herd of deer came running into my neighbor's yard during the storm and they made me smile as they looked confused by all the snow!  It had been 232 days since they saw snowfall in our area, which broke a long weather record for late snowfall.



It was a winter wonderland for a day!



I have been busy decorating and doing Christmas preparations. 

I was also fortunate to see Santa Claus come to our neighborhood ranch house where our oldest granddaughter was able to tell him her Christmas wishes!




I've also been busy shopping for our Christmas Eve dinner which we celebrate annually with an Italian "Feast of the Seven Fishes."  Can you guess what the fish above is?   



It is Baccala--salted codfish.  We send away a mail order for it from New York every year as we find it difficult to find it in Colorado. It is my husband's favorite and he looks forward to it every year!  It is soaked in water for a few days to remove all the salt and I prepare it two ways. I cut pieces and make the thick portions of the fish floured and deep-fried and the thinner pieces I simmer in tomato sauce with peppers and olives.  If you are curious as to the recipe for the second preparation you can find it in this older blog post--click here --in which I wrote about my favorite movie, Moonstruck, and included a recipe for Baccala Fiorentina.



For the next two weeks, I'll be extra busy baking for Christmas.  I always make the same favorites every year.   You can find the recipes in this older blog post--click here.

When I look back at these old posts I am amazed how long I've been blogging and wonder how I've had so much to say over the years. Thank you to all my readers for keeping an interest in Mille Fiori Favoriti along with me! 

 I'll be taking a blog break until after Christmas so I can devote all my time to last-minute holidays joys.


The true reason for the season.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!

I'll see you all back here in a few weeks!

In the meantime, you can also find me on



Bookmark and Share

21 comments:

Jeanie said...

Have a glorious holiday, Pat. I adored each and every photo -- they are beautiful (many could be Christmas cards!). It sounds lovely at your home -- warm, white, cozy, and smelling like cookies and wonderful fish and seafood. That's a feast I would love to one day experience. I hope you'll stop by if you find yourself in need of a break (15 minutes until the next batch goes in, perhaps?) but if not, the very merriest of Christmasses to you.

William Kendall said...

Those deer are beautiful.

Merry Christmas.

Lowcarb team member said...

A beautiful post, loved all of your photographs.
Merry Christmas wishes.

All the best Jan

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

The snow looks so pretty! Have fun making your cookies. Merry Christmas

Barbara Rogers said...

Here's my wish for you and your family to have a very merry Christmas, and continued joy and health through 2022! Loved seeing all the feasting as well as joy of deer.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Yep that is snow and I jealous and you have deer in the yard how awesome. The feast and food look really appetising

margi said...

I love snow. Those deer are gorgeous! Merry Christmas!

Hena Tayeb said...

Wow you really have been baking up a storm.. all those cookies look amazing.
Have a Happy Holiday and enjoy your time with your family.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

It's wonderful to see the snow in your dry area, Pat! Such lovely photos of your Christmas celebrations, from baking to your darling grand and Santa. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Joanne said...

So glad you finally got some snow! Those pictures of the deer are so neat. Your granddaughter looks beautiful and that photo with her and santa is so precious.

ellen b. said...

Hopefully you will get a lot more snow!! Your oldest granddaughter is a cutie!

Laura | Everyday Edits said...

HI Pat! Have a wonderful Christmas!
We loved the snow down in Castle Rock too, but we did not get 2." I am worried about the wildlife finding water!

My kids will be here for Christmas! Baking is kicking off in my house this week too!

laura in Colorado !

Angie said...

Pat - Winter has finally arrived in Montana with several solid snowfalls of 4 to 5 inches at our house, and more at higher elevations. After a few days of delay, the local ski resort has opened and we will have our first day of work there Saturday.

My son and I will bake gingerbread men Friday, and I am also going to make my Mom's Divinity, a first for me.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours! See you in 2022!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat,

Merry Christmas to you and your family. The snow looks so pretty!
I love the deer photos. Cute photos of your granddaughter with Santa.
The cookies look delicious. Take care, enjoy your day!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Merry Christmas Pat -- so wonderful to read about your snow (which I did also hear about from elsewhere in Colorado!) Your seven fishes dinner always amazes me -- it is such a great tradition and so neat that you carry it on (and that you are near enough to share it with your lucky family!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Happy Christmas to you Pat - the snow looks amazing to me and it is lovely seeing all your preparations!
Have a happy, happy time
Wren x

Sharon Wagner said...

What a winter wonderland you have there. Happy Holidays! Have a safe New Year!

Maria Rodrigues said...

Wonderful pictures.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

So glad to hear you are ok! All of your goodies look delish!!

Daniela said...

Dearest Pat,
I'm far sure you enjoyed a wonderful Christmas!
With much love and thankfulness, I'm sending my very best wishes for a fabulous year to come.
Daniela at ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

handmade by amalia said...

How lovely, a proper winter! Wishing you the very best for the coming year!
Amalia
xo