Monday, April 17, 2023

Our Easter--Food, Fun, and Leftover Ideas


We had a wonderful Easter Day at our house!  The appetizer lunch was stuffed clams, panko shrimp, arancini (rice balls), a Caprese salad, deviled eggs, pickled beets, artichoke, mushrooms, olives, dips with chips, and fresh vegetable crudites.



We then had fun taking family photos, our grandchildren did an Easter egg hunt, and we all played some games -- this year it was the game Scattergories.


For dinner, I made a small roast leg of lamb, a spiral ham with a maple brown sugar glaze, manicotti, a corn pudding, stuffed mushrooms, peas and carrots, asparagus, and escarole with chickpeas and peppers.

 

Dessert was a cheesecake and mini bundt carrot cakes, which I decorated with cream cheese frosting and Peep bunnies.

My kids took home lots of leftovers!



I always freeze a portion of the ham and the ham bone to make pea soup at a later date, but this year I was left with quite a few vegetables. I decided to chop all the leftover potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and half of the asparagus and incorporated them into a frittata with eight beaten eggs, and some cubed mozzarella cheese. a quarter cup of grated Parmesan cheese, and a few grinds of black pepper.  I greased a springform pan and sprinkled breadcrumbs on the bottom of the pan to cover the bottom and then poured in the mixed egg, vegetable, and cheese mixture. and then sprinkled bread crumbs on top.  I baked it in a 375-degree F oven for 40 minutes,  The frittata is so easy to make this way in a springform pan and it is a good way to use up pre-cooked vegetables. It came out so delicious!  We ate slices for both dinner and breakfast.




The next day I made elbow pasta--any small pasta shape can be used--and in a skillet, I sauteed chopped leftover ham, leftover peas and carrots, and asparagus chopped into pieces in small amounts of olive oil. I then added some chicken broth and grated Parmesan and gorgonzola cheese mixing well until the cheese was melted. I blended in the almost-cooked pasta to the skillet, removed the skillet from the heat, added about a half cup of pasta water, mixed well, and covered the skillet for five minutes until the pasta completed cooking.  It was another delicious and easy-to-prepare meal.

I hope I gave you some ideas on how to re-invent leftovers so that you can make them into a new delicious dish and cut back on food waste. 



Our grandchildren are keeping us busy as their annual baseball and lacrosse games have begun, as well as school theater plays, art shows, and upcoming dance recitals. It's wonderful that we can enjoy all these special events in their lives. 




Spring weather in Colorado always keeps us guessing and we've had unusually warm temperatures followed by snow so far this April. I'm sure there may be more snow before summer arrives, but we welcome all moisture in our dry high altitude climate.




My little "kitchen windows greenhouse" is doing well.  I repotted the peppers and tomato seedlings into larger containers and I'm patiently waiting until the end of May when I can replant them for the final time into their larger pots on my patio.  I will then surround the pots with wire to keep out the deer and rabbits the best I can. I had success doing this last year and I hope for the same this summer. I just love watching them grow!


Pasque Wildflowers

I hope you all had a Happy Easter if you celebrate it, and that your Spring is full of wonderful things!


You can also find me on

26 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Looks like you had a wonderful Easter. Beautiful photo of the family and the food looks delicious. Love the mountain views and the pretty flowers.
Take care, have a happy new week!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Oh my, what a grand Easter you had. The food looks so delicious and my mouth is watering just reading the post! Your family photo is beautiful and you were so lucky to have them with you! Your photo of the front range was glorious! Thank you! Cathy

William Kendall said...

Quite a meal!

Linda W. said...

What a delicious post! All that great food has my mouth watering.

NCSue said...

I'm so glad you had great family time and feasting!
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/04/continued-from-last-week.html

Michelle said...

I always enjoy seeing your kitchen creations. You are such a great cook! I know your family must enjoy all of it.

stevebethere said...

What nice photos I like everyone smiling in the family one and don't start me on all that food all LQQKS delicious :-)

Have an appetisingtastic week 👍

ellen b. said...

Wow, Pat, that was an amazing Easter spread along with what you created from leftovers! No one was hungry at your place. Sounds like a special Easter time all together. Happy Fresh week to you!

Jeanie said...

Oh my! Could anyone move after that feast? Unbelievable -- and gorgeous. I love the idea of an appetizer brunch/lunch -- that's really smart. And those mini-bundt cakes are so darned cute. Everyone looks wonderful -- you have a handsome family. Hmmm. Maybe I should arrange to be in CO next Easter!

Esme said...

WOW, what a full and fun day for Easter. We enjoyed a very low-key, food-wise, with our family as we wanted to be more available to visit and have time with our children and the grandkids.
Thanks for sharing your post at SeniorSalonPitStop 257.

Angie said...

Pat - we also had a delicious Easter meal, but it was just the two of us, so I am happy for you that family rounded out your celebration! I have started a few seeds (False Indigo) in the hopes that I can transplant them into the garden - this is an experiment and we'll see how it turns out. Our spring is also fickle - I have been out in the garden, with bulbs sprouting, and then we had two inches of snow this morning!

Cc said...

This sounds lovely

Estelle Forrest said...

Love using leftover Ham in soups! Thanks so much for sharing your post at SPSS, hope to see you again next week!

Joanne said...

Your Easter looks delicious and sounds like it was filled with so much family fun.

Jim said...

Great skies and Easter feast.

XmasDolly said...

Do you ever post recipes? I'd sure like a recipe for your French donuts! My hubby loves them, and so do I for that matter. Anyway they all look so yummy! Okay, now I'm hungry! Sheesh! Have a great day & I hope all your recipes turned out great... wait, wait....!!! I think I can smell some of those luscious looking desserts!!! hehehehe~ Have a great day!

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

You made me hungry

EricaSta said...

Yummy!

There are many fine food here to see, to read about your easter. I enjoyed your post.

Thank you for sharing and being part at
MosaicMonday.

Have a wonderful week.
Greetings by Heidrun

Photo Cache said...

Wow, what a spread. It's perfect with the loved ones around the table with you.

Worth a Thousand Words

Maria said...

Everything looks so yummy, even the leftover frittata. I love asparagus in mine lol. Hope you have a wonderful weekend
xx
Maria

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Great family portrait and your food -- as always fabulous. What a fun Holiday. And any of those "leftover" dishes look like first-runs to me! Wonderful ideas.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I love your skies, and my, that food looks delicious!

Sharon Wagner said...

You are such a great cook! Your family is so lucky. I love to cook, too. But we're in Puerta Rico and don't have an oven and aren't here long enough to buy ingredients. Eating out gets old, though. But most of the food has been delicious. Thank you for ordering my book! You made my day. Each sale is like a warm hug. :) Have a tasty day.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your photographs are lovely to see.
It looks like you had a very enjoyable Easter.
Great photograph of the family and your food looks so delicious.

Enjoy your April days.

All the best Jan

diane b said...

Fabulous food and fabulous family and yes you are lucky to be involved in your grandchildren's lives. The hints for left overs have won me.

Rambling Woods said...

What a beautiful Easter….Michelle