Sunday, September 17, 2023

Farewell Summer!



    “There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart.”
    ~ Celia Thaxter

    The fall season is just a few days away, and although it is my favorite time of the year I'm always a little sad to see summer end.  After a cold and rainy spring, our summer weather was mild and our lives were quiet as we stayed home most of the time and cared for our gardens. 


    Although the deer--and even squirrels--ate many of our tomatoes our patio container pepper crop was a good one. I roast them and save them in my freezer for chili, soups, and sauces.




    This morning I was greeted by a deer convention being held on my front lawn. They were enjoying the shade and drinking from our birdbath. 




    Even though they ate all my flowers and many of my tomatoes, I can't help but think they are cute!




    Our grandsons are both busy playing sports--high school football for the oldest and Little League Fall baseball for the middle school child.  Our oldest grandson accompanied one of his best friends from childhood to a high school Homecoming Dance this weekend. They have been friends from their baby days as they were born a week apart and both their mothers are also best friends. 




    Our oldest granddaughter, along with two of her classmates, was chosen to take down the American flag and the Colorado state flag at the conclusion of their elementary school day. With great care and respect, they folded both flags and stored them until the following day. Each morning, the students recite the Pledge of Allegiance and receive general announcements. 



    "I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”

    ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder


    I hope you all had a wonderful summer!


    25 comments:

    Life Images by Jill, Western Austalia said...

    fairwell summer there and hello spring here - my favourite time of year. My goodness dear in your front yard. How beautiful - better a dear than a bear! So lovely seeing our grandchildren getting involved in things. Enjoy your week. I am joining you at Mosaic Monday.

    eileeninmd said...

    Hello,
    Summer did fly by! Our days are getting chilly, time to bring out the warmer clothes. Love the beautiful sunflower, cute squirrel and the deer. The pie looks yummy. Wonderful photos of your grandchildren! Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

    I love that last quote. We hang on to summer longer here in the South but the weather is changing some and it is very welcome. Love seeing your grandkids...they are growing up so fast!

    NCSue said...

    Yes we're beginning to see signs that summer is waning - some cooler temps (thank God!) and the faintest blush of color on some of the trees.
    Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/09/blooms-to-brighten-your-day.html

    Joanne said...

    I just love fall too but I am always a bit sad to see summer end. You have some really beautiful photos in this post!

    Lillian "sognafaret" said...

    I realy want moor summer!

    stevebethere said...

    Another nice set of photos I enjoyed these yep summer does go so quick it's cooled right down here in UK now :-(

    Have a last of summertastic week 👍

    Janice said...

    Here in Central Texas we finally received about 2 inches of rain at our apartment. First significant rain in well over 2 months. It dropped us from the triple digits at the same time. The trees leaves are turning or possibly just dying from lack of moisture. We are hoping for more moderate temperatures.

    Contrats to the grands for the honor of the flag duty. And those deer are cute!

    Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

    Summer flew by.
    Fall will be beautiful, I bet. So much cooler here, especially at night.
    Lovely photos.

    Lowcarb team member said...

    Summer did fly by, but I always look forward to Autumn/Fall one of my favourite seasons.
    Lovely photographs and mosaics.

    All the best Jan

    Rudbekia said...

    A beautiful custom, it is a pity that in Poland there is no such one.

    Jeanie said...

    Your photos are just wonderful and a beautiful reminder of a season that has passed. I love summer and i love fall but i wish they both lasted a little longer! Your deer and squirrels make me smile and the children are so sweet.

    Yvonne said...

    Wonderful times with the grandchildren, and your garden photos are beautiful. Nice to see deer enjoying your garden as much as you do.

    EricaSta said...

    Believe me, I welcome autumn. It was to hot in this summer ....

    Happy MosaicMonday

    Thank you so much being part at
    MosaicMonday

    Have a fine week. Greetings by Heidrun

    Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

    I know it's irritating for animals to eat your plants, but I find deer delightful. I would be conflicted if it were me as I do love to watch them.

    Yogi♪♪♪ said...

    I'm jealous of your deer convention. I know they can be pests and eat your garden out and all that but they are so beautiful.

    Kudos to the grandkids for being so active and involved in their schools. Kudos to the parents for supporting that.

    I will miss summer a little bit. It is so hot and humid though and we have such a long, beautiful Fall here in Oklahoma that it is my favorite season.

    Rambling Woods said...

    Of grandchildren….. our eight-year-old grandson is in second grade. First grade was a little rough for him, but he is really blossoming this year. He found he has a love of soccer and is very good at it according to his coach. And he loves math. He was here for a couple of weeks over the summer and he and his grandfather did math problems in their heads. It’s always nice to see a child feel successful.

    Spare Parts and Pics said...

    Mmm, that pie looks delicious! Great to see the grandkids are all doing well. This summer zoomed by!

    Coloring Outside the Lines said...

    Farewell Summer! Be gonst! I am so happy Fall has finally arrived. Love your yard deer, how cool is that?! We areheaded to Colorado next week for vacation. I am hoping the aspens are ready.

    Jim said...

    Great shots.

    diane b said...

    It looks like you have a wildlife park in your yard. It is the simple things in life that become more important as we grow old. Your grand children are all growing up and doing fun things. Hope you have a mild winter and a colourful Fall. We had the hottest day ever for a Spring day yesterday. It was 35°C. El Nino has arrived so we are in for a dry hot bushfire summer.

    William Kendall said...

    The deer really are beauties.

    Light and Voices said...

    Simple things seems like they are etched in our memory bank forever.

    aspiritofsimplicity said...

    I love your Celia Thaxter quote. Have your read her book? I lived on the coast of New Hampshire for 25 years and could see The Isles of Shoals. Her gardens out there are beautiful.

    aspiritofsimplicity said...

    Beautiful images of your summer. I am partial to Autumn and always look forward to the shorter days and cooler temps.