Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Green Gallery, Dublin Ireland

The Green Gallery is probably Ireland's most popular retail gallery of contemporary art from both Irish and International artists. It is located on the top floor of the St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, which is on the corner of fashionable Grafton Street and St. Stephen's Green, in the very heart of cosmopolitan Dublin.

The day I visited on May 25, 2008 there was an exhibition called "Stars" on display which opened earlier that week. It was described as "An exciting portrait exhibition of the famous, ingenious, talented, hilarious, depressing, past and present 'STARS' seen through the eyes of a selection of our gallery artists. "

Most remarkable to me were some incredible ceramic mosaics on board compositions made by the UK artist Ed Chapman.

(click to enlarge all photos)


From his biography on the Green Gallery web site:

"Ed strives to create intricate photo-realist portraits set against contrasting bold colour backdrops, forcing the viewer to question if his mosaics are, in fact paintings. Each work comprises thousands of ceramic tile pieces, all cut and fastened by hand, and impeccably finished."

More examples of his work can be viewed on the Green Gallery website here

Other artists works were also on display in this exhibition, and on the left below was a portrait of Sinead O’Connor; a composition of oil on canvas board by Mark Baker. More of his works can be viewed at this link.


On the right below is an oil on canvas caricature of Jack Nicholson by artist Niall O'Loughlin. More of O'Loughlin's works can be viewed at this link.


At this point I was informed that no photography was allowed, as you can also see by the notice between the two paintings above, so to see more of these, and other contemporary Irish artists works that are for sale at the Green Gallery you will have to check their web site.

From time to time I'd love to bring some more of our vacation to Ireland back to my blog and show some of the wonderful things we found during our visit that I didn't have time to show before in my Ireland posts. I hope you enjoy it!

30 comments:

PAT said...

Beautiful post, Pat. We were at a local gallery, yesterday. I posted about it today. It was another fun day in Historic St Charles.

I need to have a look at your Oscar Wilde post. I'm a tad behind in my visits. We've been busy. We like it that way!

Have a great week!
Pat

Unknown said...

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the post on the Green Gallery.

Sounds like a very interesting place to go! Your comments make it even more interesting to me.

Have a great day,
Diane

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are continuing to share your Irish Vacation photos with us! What amazing works of art! I also caught up on your Oscar Wilde post---that figure on the granite looks alive! Terrific photos!

Anonymous said...

Hia Pat, just been catching up- your food pics made me hungry. I still haven't made your pasta- don't you just hate it when life interrupts your plans?

Love the reclining Oscar Wilde statue. How amazing that the faces were made from mosaics! It's been a few years since I popped over to Ireland. There's loads of ferries from this area going to both the north and south.

Anonymous said...

Very cool-sounding gallery. Cool exhibit.

Paz

please sir said...

Great art - looks like a wonderful gallery!

Joanne Kennedy said...

You are SO like me. I always try to sneak in some photos before I'm told I can't take them. I never ask either because then someone can say no.

You are the best tour guide. I love your life. I want to come back as you in my next life.

Hey, I made your Cheddar Cauliflower Soup tonight. I'm doing a post about it in a few days. I told everyone I got the recipe from you.

I really liked it. I still want to try that pasta. I'm giving my basil plant a little while to grow a bit bigger before I cut it all and use it in the pasta.

Hugs,
Joanne

Camille said...

I'm a huge fan of mosaics..I like colorful abstract stuff, but these are really amazing!

I'm glad you snapped away while you could so that you were able to share.

Just A Girl said...

HI Pat,
This looks like a fun little gallery. Doesn't it make you nuts when you can't photograph or touch things? It does me :).
I hope you have a wonderful evening. OOh! I like your Midievel Babes music.

Dorothy said...

Pat...this is like nothing I've ever seen...I don't usually like contemporary art...but these are exceptional. The mosaics are renarkable...love the oil of Jack Nicholson :)

You were fortunate to get the photos before being stopped.

this is my patch said...

The ceramic mosaics are incredible. How the artist captures the likeness as he does, by using tiles? x

Willow said...

I hope you'll continue to share your Irish holiday! I'll be back to check.

The statue of Oscar Wilde is fascinating. And I love The Importance of Being Earnest. Great play!

Unknown said...

Oh this truly a fantastic Post! Thanks for sharing all that lovely art! How did you know that I was a HUGE FAN of all types of ART!
Hugs,
Robyn

Vee said...

This is just one of the reasons that I love your blog...you always bring back interesting things to share that I never would've seen otherwise.

Yes, my dehumidifier is running at full tilt. With the fourth week of rain well begun, I don't think it'll be getting a break any time soon.

Enjoy your book!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

The mosaics are amazing!

Darius T. Williams said...

Ahhh - that looks awesome...I love a good gallery. Thanks for allowing us to see this.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Tara said...

Pat

Love everything you share with us about ireland! Thanks for "breaking the rules", you rebel, and taking the pics! Hee-hee!

:0)
Tara

Linda Lou said...

Would love to see more photos from your Ireland trip-you always share things that educate us, I like that!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I am enjoying your photo tour very much!

Alexandra MacVean said...

The one of Lennon is amazing!!

Lavinia said...

Very interesting. Very contemporary. I was able to recognize all the portraits all by myself--woohoo!~

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love this exhibit. Jack Nicholson is fantastic. That's a face you've just lot to love.

Michelle said...

Pat,

I love this art..especially Jack Nicholson. He's one of my favorite actors.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Pat, first I want to thank you for your visits and your sweet comments on my posts. We just returned from a five day trip and I am so behind in my visiting. Especially on, of all days, pink Sat. That is a hard day to catch up.

I so enjoyed your post on the Green Gallery. when we did the virtual vacation thing and I chose Ireland, I really want to visit there. It would be great to see more on Ireland and read your text first hand. Tell us everything. Smile!

Love, Jeanne

Strider said...

I'd love to travel there some day.

Donna said...

Ooooo, looks like a great gallery! Cool art.

I also enjoyed your previous post on Oscar Wilde.

Have a great week, Pat!

Kathy said...

Hi Pat, catching up, we are in Texas right now but will be in NYC around 22nd, Just off to read your Irish posts, will be in touch via email soon. hugs, Kathy.

Proud Italian Cook said...

The mosaics look so realistic, it's amazing how talented and gifted some people are! I always enjoy finds and facts about all of your trips Pat, keep it comming!

Unknown said...

Deareast Pat,
I clicked on the picture and I was amazed at the detailing of the ceramic mosaics!! I see it's nice from the blog..but it was fantastic when they were clicked opened. Tks for sharing :)

Gina said...

Incredible works..he has really captured their character.. esp love the Dylan and Sinead works..always wonderful posts Pat, I enjoy my visits here a great deal! Gx