Sunday, August 1, 2010

Green Gardening in Wagner Park, Battery Park City


Do you see the greenbelt of trees along the Hudson River in the borough of Manhattan in New York City?  This is part of Battery Park City Park, which is 36 acres of open public space in lower Manhattan.  It contains parks, gardens, plazas, playgrounds, playing fields and walkways. It is all man made land, built entirely on landfill, and on a platform extending into the Hudson River. The Battery Park City Conservancy (BPC Parks) is a non-profit organization supported mainly by the residents of Battery Park City and its commercial and residential developers, as well as by the Battery Park City Authority. (all photos will enlarge when clicked on once, and then again when they open in a new page)


Just north of Battery Park on Battery Place between West Street and First Place, Robert F.Wagner, Jr. Park occupies a gorgeous setting on the Hudson River, with views across the water to the Statue of Liberty. It’s a lovely combination of grassy lawns, colorful gardens, and walking paths.



The Park Pavilions contain the Gigino Ristorante I blogged about in my prior post, and its public roof deck affords breathtaking views of the Statue of Liberty and New York Harbor.


Wagner Park is also the location of the Museum of Jewish Heritage, located at 36 Battery Place.


The park is a magical "secret garden" full of lush plantings, winding paths, cool fountains and benches on which to sit and rest amongst the blooming perennial flower beds and shrubs.

BPC maintains the parks and gardens in a fully organic "Green" manner, without the use of toxic pesticides, fertilizers, fungicides or herbicides.  Nearly all the organic matter incorporated in the soils comes in the form of compost, which is composed of plant wastes gathered throughout the community, vegetables wastes collected from local grocers and restaurants, and horse manure provided by the mounted police.

The compost is manufactured in a compact, high efficiency facility and is applied to the planting beds twice annually.


The conservancy uses a natural system of pest control which utilizes beneficial insects such as Tichogamma wasps, lady beetles, pirate bugs, lace wings and predator mites. The BCP staff and volunteers closely monitor the health of the plants and at the first sign of stress they check to see if beneficial insects are present. If not they may respond with the least invasive treatment possible, ranging from removing the insects by hand to applying insecticidal soaps or oils.


As you can see from these two photo mosaics of flowers I found growing in Wagner Park the Battery Park Conservancy does a wonderful job making the park ablaze with beautiful color!


The hibiscus flowers were as large as dinner plates! 


It is a wonderful place to sit on a warm summer day to enjoy a bit of shade and to enjoy some quiet nature in New York City.


In my next blog post we'll walk along the Esplanade which runs the entire length of Battery Park City, along the Hudson River. 



I think you'll be amazed by its beauty and the wonderful sights we see along the way!


I'm adding this post to "Mosaic Monday" on Mary''s blog Little Red House. Please visit Mary to view her beautiful mosaic and to see the links to other blogs participating on Monday.




Bookmark and Share

43 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What beautiful pictures of the gardens. One would never know you were in New York City. I love your flower mosaic pictures. So pretty. When I come to NYC you can be my tour guide. I always enjoy your posts so much and actually feel like I have been there too. Love & blessings from NC!

pam said...

Oh Pat...this was a wonderful post. The first thing I noticed in your first photo were the colors of the buildings...it almost looked artificial so much color bursting forth from a skyline view. We have competitions around here with our hibiscus...trying to out do each other....they are amazing flowers. Thanks for all the work you go through to share NYC with us.

Lisa@GrandmasBriefs said...

One day I'll visit NYC and before I do, I will surely create my itinerary based on your posts. In fact, you really oughta look into compiling a travel book from your posts. There are wonderful websites that create books from blog posts and I just can't imagine a better travel planner for NYC than what you provide here.

steviewren said...

I'm always surprised by the amount of space set aside in the city for parks and recreation. I wish I could get my flowers to look as beautiful. They have mostly dried up. It has been so hot.

Carol said...

Beautiful flowers, gorgeous mosaics, Pat! I've been to Battery Park so many times over the years, but not recently. Your posts have me wanting to get back! What I'd love to do is go to Ellis Island again!

Annesphamily said...

Oh my Pat, you take us on such delightful trips through your city. I truly love seeing all these gorgoeus photos. Have a wonderful week and keep in touch. Anne

Annalisa said...

Beautiful pictures, as always!
I would get lost in such a beautiful park, and how beautiful are those flowers!Oh my, you're the only one able to make me feel like I've been there too, although I'm thousand miles away from you...
Great post,
Thanks for sharing...
Love,
Annalisa

Old Kitty said...

Beautiful beautiful! And to think that these gardens are built on landfill! Amazing!

I love that it's as organically maintained as possible and I love that it attracts all these wonderful insects! A garden needs its insects and their presence means that the garden is thriving and healthy! So yay to the BPC!!! They're doing a brilliant job!

And thanks for these vivid pics - I love that you've captured the gardens in all their colourful glory - I can truly believe that hibiscus plant is the size of a dinner plate - and so perfect too!

Take care
x

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I agree with the prior commenter who said you should publish a travel guide to NYC. So many people could benefit. Those butterfly photos are enchanting.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vee said...

Someone...a city planner? a garden planner? lots of someones? is doing a fantastic job of providing New Yorkers with flowers, trees, and natural beauty. It is truly a delight to see even from afar.

Snap said...

What a beautiful place. The fountains along the water ... heaven! And green gardening ...the flowers are gorgeous. Thanks for all the information on Wagner Park and your lovely mosaics.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful gardens and park. I have heard much about the Battery Park. Thanks for sharing your photos and lovely mosaic.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I do so enjoy visiting you every week. You always take us to such beautiful places. Your flowers, too, are very lovely!!! Thank you!!! Cathy

Sheila said...

Hello Pat - Your flower mosaics are amazing and I feel a sense of serenity as I look at the woman on the park bench. It's wonderful that New Yorkers have such lovely places to visit and impressive that the park is built on a landfill. What a "Green" success!

Susan said...

Oh my gosh, gorgeous. What a beautiful view. I am not a city person by any sense of the word, but those shots were really very lovely.

And the flowers, wow. I really enjoyed the hibiscus.

Thank you and I hope you have a super day,
Susan

Pondside said...

Somehow one never thinks of green when considering an enormous city. You're certainly opening my eyes to a view of your city that I'd never encountered. I love the idea of a city committed to chemical-free pest control.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I always enjoy your posts and beautiful photos of New York. It has given me a new perspective of that city!!!
Wonderful mosaics!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow, that is gorgeous, Pat.... I have seen pictures of the parks in NYC --but seeing your pictures just makes them even more gorgeous... NYC does a great job with its green space for sure.... Thanks for sharing...

Can't wait to go on your walk on the Esplanade..
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

Pat, these photographs are amazing. Now it's been a while since i was downtown. When I worked in Manhattan I used to go to Battery Park and take the Ferry to Staten Island. Is this the same park?

The snapshot of the buildings is amazing, I love the colors.

Karen

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a great post, Pat! I love the fact that this is an organic garden in the park. And that shot of the skyline of Manhatten is so pretty. Oh, I love NYC!

Can't wait to see the next installment.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Elaine said...

What a gem! Just a beautiful green space in the city. And I love the idea that the care of the park is all organic.

I bet you love spending time there.

Regina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regina said...

Hello Pat. Wonderful NYC.
Love the blooms and mosaic.
Thank you for sharing.
Happy new week.
xo

" Regina

Sarah said...

Pat, this is a beautiful post! I've only been to this park on few occasions, but thought it was one of the prettiest ever. All the flower beds are gorgeous. Thanks for taking me along for another look. I'm going back the next time I visit NY. You are an excellent tour guide! I now have many new sights to visit on my list.
Hope you have a terrific week. ~ Sarah

http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

Pat, I feel as though I was in the park with you and I wish I was, your photographs and description are marvellous, thank you!! Jackie in UK.

Anonymous said...

Love your post about the wonderful garden and New York:)
Thank you for sharing,
Gisela.

The many great gardens of the world, of literature and poetry, of painting and music,
of religion and architecture, all make the point as clear as possible: The soul cannot
thrive in the absence of a garden. If you don't want paradise, you are not human;
and if you are not human, you don't have a soul.

- Thomas Moore,
The Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life, 1996, p. 101

Gracie said...

I'm back and trying to catching up with all your previous posts....

Tracy said...

PACKED with FLOWERS... loving this floral-filled post, Pat! I feel refreshed just looking, like I'm wandering there too... Great way to start the week. :o) Happy Day, my friend ((HUGS))

La Petite Gallery said...

I am getting to old for all theis gardening, and it cost $40 A WEEK TO CUT THE GRASS, NO WEEDWACKING. . If I lived there no yard man, just go to all these beautiful sights. You are turning my head with all that beauty..

GailO said...

This is one place I have not heard of and will have to visit on one of our all too infrequent trips to NYC... Just noticing how big Mr L is getting too!

Claudia said...

I've been there - I love the greenspots in NYC. It in an instant breather. I also the new Hudson path from Greenwich Village down to lowertown. I wish it had been there when I lived in the Village. People are surprised when they find such natural treats in Manhattan!

Claudia said...

Hiya!

Isnt it wonderful that citys and townships have taken and embraced the idea of parks and natures preserves?

I feel so alive and regenerated when I visit them.

Your tours are always so wonderful and I enjoy myself so much when I visit you.

Its been too long... so after I post this-- Im heading back out to read some other posts.

Stop by -- I have missed you.

Claudia

EG CameraGirl said...

What a wonderful use of space!

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Such an amazing park. What forethough to have seen the vision of that beauty in days gone by. Why would anyone want to go to Macy's when you can go there?

Judy said...

Lovely park...and a good way to garden. I could sit there quite easily..on a summer evening!

Unknown said...

oo...I love all the green belts there, nothing like walking among them. Tks for the pictures Pat, meanwhile pop over to see some glimpse of Jakarta, Indonesia :P

Unknown said...

Pat,
I cannot believe all this beauty was built since I was downtown all these years. It is gorgeous. I think this is an example of what God says about giving us beauty for ashes.

I love your blog Pat.

Karen

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Pat, you really do have the artists eye when taking pictures. This park is beautiful and you captured it in all its glory. When I worked at the Amex and Merrill Lynch, more than 3o years ago, we would wander this area at lunch time, and it was nothing like this! Just beautiful!

Brenda said...

All of the NY magazines should be begging you to work for them, Pat; you are a wonderful writer and photographer!

Donna said...

The gardens are beautiful, Pat. Great photos of everything. I was at Battery Park years ago. It was nice to see it again.

Hugs,
Donna

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Your beautiful photos make the loveliest mosaics!

Fiona Designs said...

Such fab pictures! I love New York!
: 0 )
Fiona

http://fionadesigns.blogspot.com/