Monday, August 23, 2010

I Love Governors Island - Part 2


No, I haven't been away on another cruise on the Queen Mary 2, but I am on a wonderful adventure I'll be telling you about soon!

 As promised, I wanted to show you more about Governors Island.  My part one post about the island can be read here.  The magnificent Cunard cruise line's Queen Mary 2 was docked at the new Brooklyn, New York Cruise terminal and was visible across Buttermilk Channel from Governor's island in New York Harbor.  Notice the size of the NYC Water Taxi passing by the ship! 


There are many plans to convert the former military base of Governors Island into park land and public spaces in the future, but right now a visit to the island is very enjoyable, just for the spectacular views!  My husband and I sat on a park bench like this one, in the north eastern section of the island, for quite a while enjoying this wonderful view of lower Manhattan.


It was so relaxing watching the sail boats....


....and the ferries.....


...and even a clipper ship passed by. 

 I enjoyed seeing the juxtaposition between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan bridge in this photo.


Walking a little further west on the northern area of Governors Island we passed a New York City Water Taxi Beach. It is a waterfront spot for great music all summer long from its concert stage, with food and drinks available for purchase, along with more spectacular views of lower Manhattan.

Walking further west on the 2.2 mile long perimeter promenade of the island we pass the historic Castle Williams, which is a circular fortification of red sandstone on the northwest point of Governors Island, part of a system of forts designed and constructed in the early 1800s to protect New York City from naval attack. It is a prominent landmark in New York Harbor. It is presently undergoing restoration


Walking further along you can see in the distance of the harbor the beginning of the Hudson River, which separates New Jersey and the island of Manhattan.


Walking further on the promenade, on its western side, we see the Statue of Liberty appear in the distance.


There is a little park in this vicinity with swings for children, and also some seat swings that fit two adults. Here I am swinging and enjoying the view of Lady Liberty in the harbor!


Here is the informational placard about the Statue of Liberty that was in the area, and a view of the swing I was on in the background.


This area is named "Picnic Point." This new eight acre space on Governors Island’s south western shore was developed after ten old, but not historic, former Coast Guard apartment buildings were demolished.


Picnic Point provides picnic tables, red Adirondack chairs and hammocks available for all to enjoy.


It is a nice place to enjoy the view of the Statue of Liberty and also watch all the assortments of bicycles pass by.


I can never tire looking at this beautiful lady!


Now we turn in our walk along the southern perimeter of the island. 

 It is this area where we first saw the Queen Mary 2.


Walking close to the south eastern part of the island we passed the Trapeze School New York (TSNY) and Big Apple Circus offers Flying Trapeze Lessons on the Parade Ground area on Governors Island. While not a permanent activity it is one of the many rotating fun events available on the island during the summer.


Governors Island is really a remarkable place to spend the day! The views, activities, picnic opportunities, music, art exhibits and more all add up to a family friendly public space and a wonderful addition to New York City Parks.  It is open to visitors this year on Fridays, Saturday and Sunday until early October, and it will re-open again in the Spring of 2011.  If you have the opportunity to visit it you won't be disappointed.  I know I'll be spending much more time on the island in the future!

I won't have much computer access in the next few days so please be patient with me.  I'll be reading all your comments and visiting your blogs as soon as I am able. I hope everyone is enjoying these last days of August!



Bookmark and Share

28 comments:

Trotter said...

Hi Pat! Wonderful views, awesome pictures, great post!!

Not interested in caves? :-) Blogtrotter Two waits for you in Neptune’s… Enjoy and have a great week!

Gracie said...

You know, when we think about NYC we see only traffic jams, noises, crowded places....it's nice to see there are places like this where you can enjoy some free time, relaxing.....

Old Kitty said...

Oh wow! That island is wonderful! I hope the powers that be keep this kind of spirit up as they decide what to do with it and how to develop this precious space. I think it look great as it is!! I love that it caters for everyone - right down to the hammocks! It's obviously very popular too by looking at these pics - I'm presuming most people there are visiting as in they made the effort to escape the main City to be there for a bit of r & r!

Brilliant pics as always Pat! I love the stretch of water and the amazing views of the Statue of Liberty and some other pretty iconic images of Manhattan and the bridges etc.

And isn't it wonderful to see trapeze school?!?! Now that really is unique!

Take care
x

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What a beautiful place to visit. I am always so amazed with your tours of NYC! Wow, is the Queen Mary 2 a huge ship, or what? You had some really pretty pictures. And what a fun place. Lots to see and do there. Have a nice time this week on your adventures. Love & blessings from NC!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

My favorite shots are the one of the small sailboat with its crisp whiteness against the water AND the wonderful colors of the benches and bikes in the picnic area.

Cherry Chick said...

Oh Pat...what a wonderful place to linger on the weekend. I've been to NYC many times but it's only through your eyes am I seeing the special places to visit.
I'll now go check out Part 1 of this "tour". Thanks so much for sharing with us all.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Georgeous place for sure, Pat.. I'd love to sit with you on that bench where we can see Lady Liberty... We would have a great time CHATTING I'm sure...

The pictures are fabulous... That one of Manhattan with the sailboats in front of it looks like a painting... LOVE it.

Have a great week.
Hugs,
Betsy

Vee said...

Somehow I've missed a few so am going back to catch up. Once again, the variety of experience available to New Yorkers amazes me. And I love the photo of you on the swing...now you must return and wave back to Lady Liberty!

Carol said...

Gorgeous views! Love the Trapeze School, funny to find that! Long time ago I had a friend who worked for Cunard, invited us on to an office cruise party. Was really disappointed to find it was on the Circle Line to Bear Mt and not one of those huge ships.

Fantastic pics as always, Pat!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Just one or two or three more reasons to love New York and the great guide who is showing us all of these wonderful places.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love to watch boats of any description...but I honestly cannot imagine sitting on a bench and seeing the Statue of Liberty. I'm sure I would be overwhelmed the first time. And there is SO much to see! I'm so happy to spend time on your blog to share a little in your experiences! ♥

Unknown said...

Hi Pat,
Love this post and information-and in the one below.

I too don't think I would ever tire of seeing Lady Liberty! I won't ever forget my reaction the first time I saw her.

Interesting about the Etsy shop....I think Etsy may be headquarted in Brooklyn.

:0 Diane

Judy said...

I can see why you enjoy Governor's Island. What a neat retreat within the city.

Enjoy the retreat you are on now! We look forward to hearing about it later.

steviewren said...

Hope you are having fun on whatever adventure you are off to. I'm looking forward to reading all about it when you return.

Claudia said...

Love how New Yorkers covet their public spaces. They certainly are put to good use. I will never tire of any of the views. Now, I want to swing in a park.

Kathleen said...

What a great day! So much to see and do!

Ann said...

Hi~Thanks for another wonderful tour!! I love seeing NYC through you eyes!
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel

The Gathering Place said...

Another fun place! What great views.

Anonymous said...

HI Pat, Wonderful shots, really felt I was there, thanks for the tour. I'm off to Peru on Saturday, will tell you all when I get back,
Love,
Lyndie

La Petite Gallery said...

AS usual you wrote a most informative post. The pictures were great, Your hair looks a beautuful shade of red in the photo. That place has so much to offer, it's well worth the fun water Taxi ride. Much biger that FT.Lauderdale taxi.

yvonne

Blooming Rose Musings said...

I just love going for walks with you! Unbelievable how huge the QE2 is. Every time I see the Statue of Liberty it gives me a chill. What an elegant lady she is!
Your pictures are always so perfect and make me feel that I am right there with you.
Thank you so much and of course now I look forward to what you will show us next!!!

GailO said...

Now I'm even more intent on visiting Governors Island!...and now I'm even more excited to see what fun you are up to:)!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I know that I have told you repeatedly just how much I enjoy my visits to this beautifully photographed and documented blog, but I need to tell you again. So enjoyable to sit, look and read from someone who has recently been there. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us. Govenors Island is definitely on my list of places I can't wait to visit.

Anonymous said...

I love the Picnic Park picture with all the people and bicycles. Looks almost like a painting.

Tracy said...

Hi, Pat! LOVED part 2... this was a great taste of end of summer...delicious! Enjoy your adventure... can't wait to see/hear what you've been up to! Happy Days ((HUGS))

Beverly said...

Pat, this is such a beautiful location. I can only imagine the thrill if one day I am able to see the Statue of Liberty.

Thank you for always sharing your city with us.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely place to visit. Boy the Queen Mary 2 is HUGE! I think there is only one liner which is bigger.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Hi Pat...my secret DREAM is to live in NYC....looks so wonderful there...and all those great restaurants too....would love to explore all the little secret hidden gems in the city...ohhhh...the food....

so Happy to see you at Farmhouse, my friend....

i was just wondering where you went in northern ca....and it looks like there will be a post soon...can't wait to hear about it...

happy-last-weekend-of-august

sending love,
kary and teddy