Monday, October 31, 2022

Welcome November!

Happy Halloween! October seemed to pass too quickly! October is the month of autumn color along the front range in Colorado, as you can see from the photos from my area above. I particularly love looking out my front window to see the yellow, orange, and red glow of the Emerald Ash tree that is in front of my house.



October is also the month I roast pie pumpkins in my oven to make  pumpkin puree.  I freze the pumpkin puree in one-cup measurements to use in cakes, stews, soups, and chiles.  You can find my pumpkin bread recipe here. I will share a new recipe I tried this year using pumpkin along with cornmeal and coconut milk, which was also delicious, in a future post.






Happily, most of the last of the green tomatoes that I picked when the danger of frost was predicted, turned red by the end of October.  I roasted them in the oven and then ran them through the food mill to make tomato sauce--so good!  I also froze that for future use.




This week we woke up to our first snow! Our granddaughter was sleeping over at our house the night before and was so excited to see the snow!  Many of the trees were still full of autumn leaves so it was a collision of the seasons, between winter and fall, as you can see in the photos above.




In true Colorado form, most of the snow began melting when the sun began to shine later in the day. It gave us well needed mositure.





 

A few local deer enjoyed sunning themselves at my side yard, after the snow.


 

Every year we take a ride over to see a Halloween-decorated house in our area that is programmed with light and sound. They had a series of "Stranger Things" scenarios as well as the "This is Halloween " song and "I Put a Spell On You."  It's fun and so clever to see!  Copyright music issues make it impossible to post a video, but I hope you can imagine it.



“Some of the days in November carry the whole memory of summer as a fire opal carries the color of moon rise.”
— Gladys Taber

Welcome to November!


You can also find me on


Bookmark and Share

13 comments:

Hena Tayeb said...

What a blur this year has been.. can't believe we are already welcoming November. You pictures are so beautiful makes we want to visit Colorado more and more.

Sharon Wagner said...

I'm embarking on Flovember. Yummy looking bread. I had chocolate babka as my treat today. Happy Halloween!

ellen b. said...

What a variety of color, weather and bounty you had in October. Finishing it off with snow was fun! We haven't had any snow yet but they are threatening us with a few days of it next week!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Pat, for the lovely pics, especially of Fall golds and reds. Ellen in Ohio

diane b said...

Such beautiful photos of the two seasons. Love the scene through the window.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat,
What a feast for the eyes, the beautiful fall colors, Halloween decorations. and the snow images. Love the deer too. I love pumpkin bread, I will check out your recipe. The last moon shot is gorgeous. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

Penny Carlson said...

The snow was so pretty! Happy November!

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely shots (except the top one didn't load on my laptop?) and snow is so fun the first time, especially since it melts away! Loved the deer!

Lorrie said...

The first snow is always exciting and beautiful, no matter how tired of it one gets by February or March. Beautiful images, Pat.

Linda said...

I loved ALL your photos and that quote by Gladys Tabor is just perfect!!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful fall colours. The deer are a welcome sight.

Jeanie said...

Your first snow? Say it isn't so! That top left photo in the collage with the sunrise (?) -- Wow. And your sweet deer. Such beautiful color -- what a show this year. ANd I'm impressed with your cooking. I did finally get tomato/onion sauce made and pesto but that was it. I'm impressed with your pumpkin puree. Maybe next year I'll give that one a shot! Well done!

Lowcarb team member said...

The snow did look pretty in your photographs.

Wishing you happy November days.

All the best Jan