Sunday, May 14, 2023

Mother's Day Quotations


 This is my Mom at different stages of my life, and with my children when they were young. 

My Mom passed away a year before we moved to Colorado, and I miss her daily.  I was fortunate to live close to my childhood home for most of my life so we often spent time together and she was able to attend so many of her grandchildren's events. Now that I am a grandmother I am doing the same with my grandchildren.  It is a blessing I never take for granted!



Here is a collection of  Mother's Day quotes that help sum up today perfectly:

This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood – finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without. ~ Jodi Picoult

Mother is a verb. It’s something you do. Not just who you are.
~ Dorothy Canfield Fisher

As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you.
~ Isaiah 66:13
 
The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness.
~ Jessica Lange


I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. ~ Abraham Lincoln


A mother is the truest friend we have. ~ Washington Irving

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.  ~ Rajneesh

Being a mother means having my heart permanently stitched to my sleeve, out there and vulnerable and afraid, yet somehow finding such fulfillment and hope that I’m able to appreciate the extraordinary journey. Though it is maddening, and terrifying at times, it is also glorious and beautiful; and the most absurd part is that I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat. ~ Stephanie Jankowski

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~ Sophia Loren

A mother is a person, who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.
~ Robert Quillen

A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them. ~ Victor Hugo

Her children rise up and call her blessed. ~ Proverbs 31:28

Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.
~ Barbara Kingsolver

I am sure that if the mothers of various nations could meet, there would be no more wars.  ~ E. M. Forster

Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It’s huge and scary—it’s an act of infinite optimism.
~ Gilda Radner

The clocks were striking midnight and the rooms were very still as a figure glided quietly from bed to bed, smoothing a coverlid here, settling a pillow there, and pausing to look long and tenderly at each unconscious face, to kiss each with lips that mutely blessed, and to pray the fervent prayers which only mothers utter. ~ Louisa May Alcott





Happy Mother's Day!

Bookmark and Share

18 comments:

William Kendall said...

My mother passed on ten years ago this month. She's never far from my thoughts.

Rambling Woods said...

Yes, mothers day does tend to lead to reflections. My mother died in 2012 but that doesn’t stop missing her…

Daniela said...

What a touching post you've shared, Pat dear!
I'm sure that you haven't lost your Mom at all, people who loved us so much and whom we loved deeply will never leave us completely, they will go on leading us along our path of life.
Take care, Sweetie, blessed be!
X Dany

Linda W. said...

Love all the quotes! Happy Mother's day to you.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

It is a time to reflect with gratitude for all the mothers that have touched my life. Mom was always there for me and is missed so often. A belated Happy Mother's Day to you! Cathy

Nellie said...

My mother has been gone 40 years, and she is always in my thoughts. I’m grateful that she was the kind of mother that has given me pleasure to remember.

Esmé Slabbert said...

I still long to give Mom another hug, another kiss, another thank you, and so many other things. Mom passed aWay nearly 30 years ago and I still miss her.
I visited you via The Good. The Random. The Fun. v. 19
If not already part of SSPS, and are interested, find my entries: 24+25 and then navigate toward the bottom of my page for the Senior Salon Pit Stop linkup, we hope to meet you there virtually.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The quotes are all so beautiful. I am so blessed to have 4 wonderful sons and to get to talk to them all often! Enjoy your week!

NCSue said...

My mom died when I was 7 and my last grandmother died in 1983. I miss them still, especially "Memom" whom I knew best.
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/05/spring-at-duke-gardens.html

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

In Norway we got mothersday in february

stevebethere said...

What a nice post and tribute to your loving mother what lovely photos too, I think of mine to very often been 22 years now

Have a nicetastic week 👍

Jeanie said...

These are wonderful quotes, Pat. I know what you mean about missing your mom. I miss mine every day.

ellen b. said...

A happy belated Mother's day to you. I think everyday is Mother's day. Lovely quotes!

Tom said...

...Dorothy Canfield Fisher nails it. A Happy belated Mother's Day to you, Pat.

Sharon Wagner said...

Happy belated mother's day! Your kids were lucky to have a talented mom like you. Beautiful quotes. My mother died 23 years ago on what would have been my wedding day. It took awhile to recover from that shocker. But now the only thing I miss is her, not the special day that wasn't. Life is full of surprises.

diane b said...

A lovely mothers' day post. My mum died 24 years ago but I miss her more and more the older I get.

EricaSta said...

Oh ... I have Tears in my eyes.

There are many interestings things here to see, to read. I enjoyed your post.

Thank you for sharing and being part at
MosaicMonday.

Have a wonderful week.
Greetings by Heidrun

Joanne said...

These are such beautiful quotes and those flowers are so pretty. I loved seeing all the photos of your mother too.