Sunday, June 18, 2023

A Visit to the Historic Stanley Hotel in Estes Park


Nestled in a lush valley in Estes Park, Colorado, and situated on 160 acres at a 7,500-foot elevation (2286 M) is the historic Stanley HotelMy husband and I wanted to take a few days to celebrate our June birthdays by staying in the Stanley Hotel for a second time--our first visit was nine years ago--click here- to read that post.




Located about five miles from the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park, the Stanley Hotel was built by Freelan Oscar Stanley, co-founder of the Stanley Motor Carriage Company, and opened on July 4, 1909, as a hotel resort and also as a health retreat for sufferers of pulmonary tuberculosis in that era. The hotel and its surrounding structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today, the hotel includes a restaurant, spa, and bed-and-breakfast; with panoramic views.



It's a beautiful hotel in a beautiful town!



Please click on the photo collage above to enlarge it and to read the quote by FO Stanley on the statue pedestal.

 F.O. Stanley(1849–1940) was stricken with a life-threatening resurgence of tuberculosis and had been sent west by his doctor, as it was thought that mountain air would improve his health. He did feel better staying in the town of Estes Park and fell in love with the area. He bought land from Lord Dunraven and built his magnificent hotel there--a complex of eleven buildings, some of which are still in use today.


The hotel recently went through some interior renovations... 



...and everything looked bright and shining!



The Shining paraphernalia in the hotel gift shop.

Speaking of "shining" the Stanley Hotel is also considered one of the most haunted hotels in the country! It earned this reputation after the author Stephen King stayed at the hotel in room 217 and had a paranormal experience that was so impactful to him that it inspired him to write one of his scariest novels: The ShiningThe novel is much scarier than the movie!



The Stanley Hotel features a variety of rooms with high paranormal activity including the famous Stephen King Suite 217, the Ghost Hunters' favorite room 401, as well as 407, and 428. These are among their most-requested rooms, so availability is limited. Among many tours, the hotel also offers The Shining Tour.



Did we see a ghost this time or have a paranormal experience during our stay? No, not this time, although I was on the alert for one. If you read my post from nine years ago you can learn that these keys behind the check-in desk began to sparkle and glow as we were in the process of checking in. I was confused by how they were appearing that way and quickly lifted my camera and took a photo of them. When I returned home and downloaded my photos I saw a blurry form to the bottom left and a woman's hand reaching out towards the keys. The hand had an old-fashioned ruffled cuff and I like to think it was Mrs, Stanley who was welcoming us to the hotel!
This time the keys remained normal, or perhaps my imagination wasn't getting carried away "seeing things"? Nonetheless, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and its historic beauty.



After checking in to the hotel we were excited to drive to Rocky Mountain National Park! Beginning May 26 through October 22 the park requires an advanced purchased timed entry permit for peak hours of 9AM to 2PM. We were entering after 4PM so we knew we'd have a few hours to enjoy the park that evening, and we had our permit for the next day. In my next post, I'll show some of the sights in the park. Although it was June, there was still lots of snow in many areas!



Bookmark and Share

34 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat,
The Stanley Hotel is a beautiful place to stay, we rode past a few times when we stayed in Estes Park. It is nice being close to the park too. Beautiful tour of the hotel. Take care, have a happy new week!

Crafty Green Poet said...

That looks like a wonderful place to stay! Your ghostly experience sounds quite intriguing!

Linda W. said...

Cool hotel! The exterior of the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood Oregon was also featured in the Shining.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love historic architecture and this hotel looks like a perfect place to stay.

Nancy Andres at Colors 4 Health said...

What gorgeous pictures and delightful review of the Stanley hotel. Thanks for sharing it at InLinkz 266 Senior Salon Pit Stop. Have a great day. Nancy Andres @ Colors 4 Health

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The Shining is one of those movies where I have seen the whole thing just not at one sitting and in random order. I've not read the book but the movie is scary enough for me.
I'd love to see the hotel and maybe stay there. I don't believe in ghosts but I have seen and heard a few things over the years that I have no explanation for.

NCSue said...

What an elegant place - wow!
Thank you for shairng at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/06/another-visit-to-cedar-creek-gallery.html

Lydia C. Lee said...

Wow! I didn't realise it was actually haunted!! #Naturesnotes

stevebethere said...

What a fab place to visit I liked all the photos and the gost part :-)

Have a gosttastic week Pat 👍

William Kendall said...

A marvelous hotel.

ellen b. said...

Our oldest and his dear wife were just there weekend before Father's day! They enjoyed every minute!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Beautiful. We have a similar hotel in the mountains of New Hampshire called the Mount Washington hotel. They must have been built around the same time.

mvmaithai said...

Love grand historic hotels! We once stayed at Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, NH. It was built a few years earlier than the Stanley. No ghosts but lots of history!

mvmaithai said...

Love grand historic hotels! We once stayed at Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, NH. No ghosts but lots of history!

Barbara Rogers said...

A lovely old building, and of course the energies of the past are everywhere inside it...whether paranormal or just beautiful trappings. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's a beautiful place and neat to hear about the movie and all. I guess you were alert the whole time you were there. I've seen odd things in my photos from time to time too. Very interesting and sure makes for a great story when you get back home. Hugs!

Tom said...

...things sure were built with class back in the day. Thanks for taking me along to see the sights.

Angie said...

Pat - what a glorious place to celebrate your June birthdays! Happy Birthday! I am a little surprised people would specifically ask for haunted rooms, but I suppose there are people out there that enjoy that sort of thing - not my bag!!! Joining you from Mosaic Monday!

Pisi Prkl said...

What a Fantastic place! Thank you for sharing.

Sharon Wagner said...

OMG! I am such a ghost lover. At least, in stories. I didn't know the hotel was actually haunted and still in use. I love that Stepehen King had a paranormal experience there that inspired The Shining. I must travel to the hotel someday. I received Fairy Tale for Christmas but haven't read it yet. In other news, The Levitation Game won't launch until I receive enough reviews and blurbs. But I will send you one of my advance copies! I'm supposed to receive them tomorrow. You'll still receive the copy you paid for later. It won't scare you, but I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

csuhpat1 said...

Wow, what a beautiful and amazing place. Very wonderful.

Rambling Woods said...

You get to visit some really interesting places..I fixed the linky. I am sorry about my mistake....Michelle

Yvonne said...

While I've seen the Stanley Hotel, I've never been inside it. The interior looks so amazing, I wish I hadn't missed it. Sounds like a great place to have as home base in your birthday visit.

EricaSta said...

Your post is a revelation for a Stephen King-Fan, like my husband is. I will show him to read.

Thank you for sharing at
MosaicMonday

Hugs by Heidrun

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful and so elegant.

Barb said...

Amanda visited the hotel last summer but didn't encounter any ghosts either! The renovation looks really nice. The hotel is quite grand for CO - I'm glad they keep it as a historical landmark.

Lowcarb team member said...

It certainly looks a beautiful place to stay, I enjoyed your photographs.

All the best Jan

Spare Parts and Pics said...

A truly grand hotel. I'll never forget some of the scenes inside that hotel from The Shining!

Jim said...

Wonderful.

Jeanie said...

You're right about the book being scarier than the movie. I read it up at the lake -- alone -- one summer and when the branches from the bushes outside scratched the screen, I nearly lost it!

What a wonderful way to celebrate! It looks beautiful and I can't see how you would have anything BUT a wonderful time!

Betty J. Crow said...

My all time favorite Stephen King movie! Would love to spend the night there, but doubt I could convince hubby. It sure is a beautiful place. Thank you for your visit to mine and your kind comment. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead.

Nancy Barber said...

Interesting! I will put that on our list for places to visit. Enjoy your week.

Joanne said...

It looks lovely! Though I would be a chicken about staying in a "haunted" hotel.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

What a lovely historical hotel, I happy to know that it is being well taken care. Happy Birthday to you both. I'm another one with a June birthday,