Monday, June 26, 2023

Sprague Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park


My husband and I were thrilled to explore Rocky Mountain National Park after checking into the charming Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (as mentioned in my previous post). Although we have visited the park multiple times before (click this label to view related posts), our visits typically occurred during autumn. Thus, witnessing the park during the spring with its snow-covered Rocky Mountains was a delightful new experience.

From May 29 to October 22, 2013, the park has a timed entry system, with reservations made ahead of time, but the entry does not require a reservation before the hours of 9AM and after 2PM. We have lifetime Senior National Park Passes and we would be arriving in the park after 2PM so entering the park was fast and easy.


 

We drove towards the meadows as we knew we would see many elk in those locations.




While using my Nikon camera with a zoom lens, I stumbled upon many groups of elk in my field of view. 

These majestic creatures seemed to be quite famished after enduring a harsh and snowy winter.





In addition to record snowfalls this winter we have been having many days of rain which not only made the grasses very green but also made the rivers run fast and swollen.





The scenery is breathtaking in every direction!



We then drove to our favorite place to take a walk--Sprague Lake.

The lake is named for Abner Sprague, one of the original settlers in the Estes Park area.  




The walk around the lake is flat and easy, with benches along the way to sit and enjoy the views.




Usually, there are views of Hallet Peak from this side of the lake but the cold snow-filled mountains were producing many clouds.




This informational placard shows the view without clouds.




The mountain reflections were still stunning!



I enjoy this walk so much! 

This spring many visitors that arrive early have been seeing moose in the lake.  As exciting as that is always remember that moose can be very dangerous animals and they are best viewed from a very safe distance. At this time of the year, many have calves and that can make them even more aggressive.


We did not see any moose but I did see some geese and their adorable goslings!



The lake area was adorned with bright green aspen trees, flaunting their new leaves.





The walk is incredibly peaceful.





As we approached the end of the lake loop, I began to sense that we were being observed.

What do you think?




In my upcoming blog posts, I plan to share more sights of Rocky Mountain National Park. We embarked on a scenic drive from one end to the other, crossing the Continental Divide and passing through the Alpine Center area where we experienced snowfall. On the western end, we witnessed the aftermath of a wildfire that occurred a few years ago. I look forward to having you back to explore more of the park.

You can also find me on



37 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Beautiful photos of the Rocky Mountain NP. I loved seeing all the elk, the gosling are adorable. Gorgeous views of the mountains and lake.
Take care, have a wonderful week!

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful photos. Luv the awesome skies

My Monday post is HERE

much❤love

Linda W. said...

Nice elk pictures! My hubby and I went to RMNP in 1985 for our honeymoon.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Gorgeous landscapes and few people share photos of elk. They're wonderful.

Tom said...

...Pat, you certainly have a gorgeous area to enjoy. The lake is so tranquil. Thanks for taking me along to enjoy the sights. Take care and have a wonderful week.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh these are such wonderful photos, and I know you were seeing many other great sites too! Thanks so much for sharing them here. I've been posting about mountain forest energies...and you sure must have had them a lot! Looking forward to the next edition!

stevebethere said...

What fab photos I would love to go there :-)

Have a rockytastic week 👍

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Awesome photography of a very beautiful place ~ what a wonderful adventure for you both and us! thanks,


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Rambling Woods said...

How I would love to visit out west...just so pretty and rugged at the same time...Michelle

diane b said...

Just beautiful. Loved the little goslings.

Linda said...

What a beautiful place! It has been YEARS since I've been there so I dearly love your every photo! I see you went to the Stanley Hotel so I am going back to read about that!!!

Jutta K. said...

How impressive, what a grandios landscape !
Greetings from Germany

NCSue said...

I believe you were being observed by an ent!
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/06/it-has-begun.html. Your photos are beautiful!

ellen b. said...

What an amazing area of natural beauty. Your photos are lovely. Glad you could enjoy this trip!

Jeanie said...

What a beautiful park. I can see why they have staggered entry time -- I'm sure it is very popular. Those skies are so blue! What a lovely way to celebrate, Pat!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Just beautiful!!! I love all the contrast in color and the saturated hues in your photos.... and yes!! you were being watched haha!

Sharon Wagner said...

So scenic! I feel at peace just looking at the photos. I love a good lake loop, and that one is particularily rewarding. I'll look forword to more.

William Kendall said...

Majestic landscapes.

margi said...

Beautiful! Perfect place for walking!

Jocelyn said...

Such beautiful photos.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's a gorgeous lake and beautifully photographed. I would love to visit Rocky Mountain National Park some day!

NKH said...

Beautiful weather and splendid reflections. Ideal place for retirement

Pisi Prkl said...

Majestic Vistas! And the photos ain´t bad either.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Looks like a great place. You captured some beautiful scenes with mountains, lakes, skies, trees, and wildlife. Something about seeing the big critters like elk and moose is exciting. My mother grew up in the mountains of Idaho and she always thought moose were lots more dangerous than bears.

EricaSta said...

Wonderful---- I can`t see enoigh of this nature. It`s breathtaking.

Thank you so much being part again at
MosaicMonday

Greetings by Heidrun

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The mountain reflections are spectacular and I love the big old trees with the interesting bark. It makes me so happy to get out in nature and see the beauty that places like this hold. I would love to travel West again!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat
Gorgeous views of the park. The mountain and lake are beautiful. I love seeing the elk. The geese family is cute, the goslings are adorable. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

Penelope Notes said...

This is such a wondrous spot to wander, and the elk there are such handsome creatures.

Crafty Green Poet said...

What a lovely place for a walk. Beautiful scenery and magnificent wildlife

Lowcarb team member said...

I quite agree with you, the scenery is breath-taking.
Lovely photographs on your post.

Wishing you a happy month of July.

All the best Jan

Light and Voices said...

Glad you went to see the Park at a different time of year. Beautiful area. Can hardly wait till your next post.

Joanne said...

Such beautiful view (and photos!) of the park. That is such a lovely area to explore.

Little Wandering Wren said...

I'm loving the sound of your Senior's entry pass, I imagine you use this a lot you have a truly beautiful park of the world to enjoy. Have a lovely week & Happy 4th July.
Wren x

Laura | Everyday Edits said...

Hi Pat,
Gorgeous photos in and around Estes Park!
I love these Colorado posts!

xo laura

Jeanne said...

Great post, I'm hoping to visit here!

Jeanne said...

I bookmarked this! Love the pictures.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Glad I came back to catch up a bit! to enjoy your beautiful pictures and descriptions and to find out that entry to the park early and late does not require a reservation. (Of course when (if?) we are lucky enough to visit again rules may have changed and we'll check first. Aren't those senior passes the best bargain ever in this world!!