Monday, March 25, 2024

Robert Burns Birthplace Museum and Gardens, Alloway, Scotland





Robert Burns was the eldest of seven children born to William Burness and his wife Agnes Broun in this cottage on January 25th, 1759.  He was to become the national poet of Scotland who wrote lyrics and songs in Scottish and English. His song Auld Lang Syne is world-renowned, and often sung on New Year's Eve.




Our Cosmos Tour's first stop in Scotland was to the town of Alloway, where Robert Burns was born. We stopped at The Burns Birthplace Museum Monument and Memorial Gardens. designed by Thomas Hamilton, was completed in 1823.



Although our bus tour of the "Highlights of Ireland and Scotland" took place in late October, the gardens were still in bloom and the fall colors added extra beauty.



We discovered that the gardens are a highly sought-after location for wedding photography!




Our view walking across the "Brig o’ Doon," immortalized in Burns’s poem “Tam o’ Shanter.




Walking along the winding paths in the memorial garden and reading the signs on the monuments was a delightful experience.



The Burns Monument was completed in 1823 and soon became a destination for those wishing to pay homage to Burns. 
Inside the monument is a carved bust of Robert Burns and...



...statues of characters from his most famous poems--Tam o' Shanter, Souter Johnie, and Nanse Tinnock.



The Monument and Memorial Gardens were celebrating their 200th year during our visit!




An example of Robert Burns' unique Scottish dialect.




Some of the beautiful flowers we saw in the Robert Burns Memorial Gardens. They reminded me of words from a song/poem he wrote during his short life--Burns died in 1796 at the age of 37. 

Here is a well-known stanza:

"My love is like a red red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my Love's like the melodies

19 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Pat,
What a lovely place to visit, the garden images are lovely.
Take care, have a wonderful week!

Handmade in Israel said...

What a great place to visit! The gardens are lovely, though I am sure that the bridal party was a bit cold!!!

Joanne said...

Those gardens are lovely; especially with all that fall color. I can see why they are such a popular wedding photography spot.

NCSue said...

Great photos, all. I'm fascinated by the thatched roof in the first shot. I've heard of these but have never seen one.
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/03/barnegat-lighthouse-on-long-beach.html

EricaSta said...

What beautiful poems Robert Burns wrote! And I'm thrilled with what you share here in the post about this visit to the museum. Great! I would have loved to have been there.

Thank you for this contribution to
MosaicMonday

I wish you and your family a pleasant week, hugs
Heidrun

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I would love to take this tour - so many wonderful things to see. Your photos are beautiful.

Rambling Woods said...

I love the kilts...my paternal grandfather was from Scotland...Michelle

christina said...

Since I visited Versailles some five years ago, and have returned several times, I fell head over heels with the garden. Since then I've been looking for more. Since I've wanted to see Scottland, I have now decided this garden needs to be seen. :) Lovely post.

ellen b. said...

I enjoyed learning a bit more about Burns. We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Scotland in September, Lord willing. This posts contributes to my excitement. Happy Holy week to you, Pat!

Lydia C. Lee said...

What a sensational spot for a wedding. How gorgeous!! And if Jen from #HappyNow sees this, I get a firewall godaddy error blocking me from commenting on your host blog.

Jeanie said...

You certainly were there at a good time of year. I love the photo of you two with the colorful trees behind. It looks like a wonderful stop on your visit!

Slabs said...

Those gardens do look magnificent.
Thanks so much for participating and sharing at SSPS 303. See you again next week! Please do not forget to come and join each W-S at InLinkz #WordlessWednesday (Words are also welcome). https://esmesalon.com/20-wordlesswednesday-words-welcome/

Lowcarb team member said...

The gardens look lovely and nice to see Autumnal/Fall colours.

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

I got an error message when I hit the publish button, so hope my comment came through okay?

Lovely photographs.

All the best Jan

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Amazing photos you took. It is so green, beautiful, and wonderfully landscaped.

Jim said...

Beautiful.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I can see why the garden are sought-after for weddings. The grounds are beautiful!!

William Kendall said...

He left behind quite a legacy.

diane b said...

Beautiful place and lovely photos. Brings back memories of our visit. I loved the Brig o' Doon.