Monday, April 8, 2024

Inveruglas and Glencoe in the Highlands of Scotland



After visiting Alloway, Scotland --the birthplace of Scottish poet Rober Burns--see that post here--our Cosmos Tour of the Highlights of Ireland and Scotland traveled northwest to the Scottish Highlands. Our first stop was at Inveruglas, along the western shore of Loch Lomond, often considered the boundary between the lowlands of Central Scotland and the Highlands. Our visit was in late October and the fall foliage was bright and beautiful!



Please click on the collage above to enlarge it

These Informational placards are located at Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park visitor's center at the loch (lake) and the hills and glens of the Trossachs, along with several other ranges of hills.



There are many scenic trails located in the park and the scenery is spectacular!




The renewable hydroelectric schemes generation hall is located on the shore of Loch Lomond at Inveruglas, part of the Sloy/Awe Hydro-Electric Scheme. It was opened by Queen Elizabeth, in 1950





We could see misty clouds rising up off the colorful Trossachs mountains.




Our tour bus then continued driving north ...


...past rivers...



..and towering mountains.





We saw many waterfalls...




...and saw more clouds rising up off the mountains.





Our tour guide and bus driver remarked that they had never seen such bright fall colors as we were seeing!



We made another stop at Glencoe National Scenic Area to see the "Three Sisters" Mountains.




Please click on the photo above to enlarge it to read the informational placard at the site.

So named for the three distinctive Bidean Nam Bian Mountain ridges, the Three Sisters are the most photographed landmark in Glencoe.



We were able to walk around for a while to admire the scenery




"After getting back on the bus, we continued our journey to witness more of the enchanting and mystical views of the Scottish Highlands."




To quote, Robert Burns...

My Heart's In the Highlands...



"Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birth-place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands forever I love."




"My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer;
A-chasing the wild-deer, and following the roe,
My heart's in the Highlands wherever I go."



"Farewell to the mountains high covered with snow;
Farewell to the straths and  green valleys below;
Farewell to the forest and wild-hanging woods;
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods."



"My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer;
A-chasing the wild-deer, and following the roe,
My heart's in the Highlands wherever I go."



I believe that I left my heart in the Scottish Highlands...



...just as Robert Burns did in the 1700s.


 One last look at all the beautiful fall foliage we saw as we traveled on to see more of enchanting Scotland. More on my next post.





23 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous views of Scotland. It is a beautiful country.
Lovely collection of photos. You had a wonderful trip!

Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

ellen b. said...

What lovely views you enjoyed in Scotland. I'm making note of some of the places you visited as we are planning a trip to Scotland in September, Lord willing. As always there is so much to see and of course you can't see it all in one trip. Happy April to you and happy new week!

Jennifer Wise said...

What beautiful photos, and what a wonderful trip. Visiting from the Senior Salon Pit Stop link party.

NCSue said...

So many gorgeous scenes depicted here!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/04/groundhog-alert.html

Lorrie said...

Such amazingly vast landscapes. Just gorgeous. Have a great week, Pat.

Villrose said...

This is nice! I love the colors.

Rambling Woods said...

Wow...those mountains and mist...amazing

Michelle said...

Beautiful photos of Scotland! We are hoping to visit next year.

Keith's Ramblings said...

A beautiful area I know really well! My daughter lives close to Loch Lomond and I'm a regular visitor. The National Park is simply amazing.

Joanne said...

Oh wow, such beautiful views! That fall color just makes it even more so.

mireille said...

What beautiful landscapes: I hope to one day go to Scotland and Ireland.
www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

Life Images by Jill, West Australia said...

I always wanted to visit Scotland, but not sure I will now. The long flight from Australia puts me off. I would have loved to have explored these vistas that you have shared with us. Thankyou. Happy travels. and enjoy the rest of your week. I am joining you at Mosaic Monday.

Jeanie said...

This is gorgeous country, Pat. I doubt we'll get to the highlands when we go to Scotland but seeing this makes me sort of wish that would happen!

Joyful said...

Beautiful countryside. I'd love to see it in person some day.

Nanda kumar said...

Colorful nature! Great you saw many waterfalls and towering mountains.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You do a great job showing off the beauty of Scotland.

thomas lee said...

colorful landscape here

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Some truly gorgeous country with an interesting history. Wow, and those colors!!

Tom said...

...Pat, you saw some gorgeous scenery at a beautiful time of year. Thanks for taking me along to see the sights. Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

Slabs said...

Amazing shots - always wanted to do a trip to Scotland, but alas that will not be possible, so this will have to suffice. Thanks so much for participating and sharing at #22 InLinkz #WordlessWednesday (Words are also welcome). See you again next week https://esmesalon.com/tag/wordlesswednesday/

Photo Cache said...

What a beautiful country. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful experience.

Worth a Thousand Words

Yvonne said...

Scotland looks so beautiful, and I can see how you were moved by it all, just as Robert Burns was. A post well done and so lovely to read and see. I'm glad I stopped by here.

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous.
What a wonderful trip.

All the best Jan