Monday, April 15, 2024

Scotland's Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle and the Old Bridge in Invermoriston





Last October, we went on a Cosmos Tour to visit the "Highlights of Ireland and Scotland." During our journey, we stopped at Loch Ness in Scotland and walked along the loch. Although we searched as far as we could see, we could not catch a glimpse of the famous "Loch Ness Monster." You may have better luck spotting it during your visit. (smile)
 


Loch Ness is a large freshwater loch (lake) in the Scottish Highlands extending for approximately 37 kilometers (23 miles) southwest of Inverness. It takes its name from the River Ness, which flows from the northern end.

Loch Ness is the second-largest Scottish lake by surface area after Loch Lomond, but due to its great depth, it is the largest by volume in Great Britain. Its deepest point is 230 meters (126 fathoms; 755 feet), making it the second deepest loch in Scotland after Loch Morar. It contains more water than all the lakes in England and Wales combined and is the largest body of water in the Great Glen, which runs from Inverness in the north to Fort William in the south. Its surface is 16 meters (52 feet) above sea level.


One thing we did find along Loch Ness was spectacular colorful autumn scenery! 


We stopped again at an overlook of Urquhart Castle. The present ruins date from the 13th to the 16th centuries, though built on the site of an early medieval fortification. Founded in the 13th century, Urquhart played a role in the Wars of Scottish Independence in the 14th century.  Urquhart was partially destroyed in 1692 to prevent its use by Jacobite forces, and it subsequently decayed. In the 20th century, it was placed in state care as a scheduled monument and opened to the public: it is now one of the most-visited castles in Scotland!



While we watched above, a large group of visitors to the castle departed a ferry that docked on Loch Ness.



The buildings of the castle were laid out around two main enclosures on the shore. The northern enclosure or Nether Bailey includes most of the more intact structures, including the gatehouse, and the five-story Grant Tower at the north end of the castle. The southern enclosure or Upper Bailey, located on higher ground, comprises the scant remains of earlier buildings.


Not only was the view beautiful but so was the local flora!



Our next stop along Loch Ness was the Old Bridge at Invermoriston.

Built in 1813, the bridge was part of the main road between Drumnadrochit and Fort Augustus, until it was replaced in the 1930s with a new bridge. Today it’s a great spot for photographs and to see salmon leaping. 


The Old Bridge crosses the spectacular River Moriston Falls.



My husband and I and my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law posed for a photo on the bridge.


I believe that the fall season in Scotland is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen!


In my next blog post, I will take you to Culloden, Scotland, the site of the historic Battle of Culloden. If you are a fan of The Outlander book and TV series, you'll recognize this historic place.


30 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wow, gorgeous views of the Loch Ness, the Autumn colors are gorgeous.
I like the views of the castle. Lovely collection of trip photos.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy week ahead.

Marilyn Moseley said...

You always share such amazing photos Pat! How wonderful to visit Scotland and be able to see such gorgeous scenery in Fall! The colors make the heart sing! I enjoyed seeing Lochness through your eyes, and appreciate all the facts you shared. The castle would be so amazing to see. Such rich history! Blessings to you!

ellen b. said...

The one and only time we were in Drumnadrochit and Urquardt castle was in 1973 before we were married. Thanks for all the photos and the history, too. It's fun to follow along on your tour.

Handmade in Israel said...

Wonderful photos and such gorgeous autumnal colours. We visited Loch Ness a few years ago and also thoroughly enjoyed our trip. We didn't see Nessie either but might just have caught a glimpse of her at the Loch Ness Visitors Centre ;-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The Fall colors you witnessed in Scotland really were are stunning Pat! And coming from a Coloradan like you that really means something, as Autumn is quite beautiful where you live! (but mainly golden I guess). The castle tour looks very interesting. It was a great trip.

Linda said...

I loved 'traveling' with you and would love to visit Scotland in the fall season. We spent December 2009 in Aberdeen and visited quite a few places.
Our friend Rosey is in Scotland now! We always go out to eat when we are in the country so I will catch her next visit! I am hoping she's taken a lot of photos!

diane b said...

Once again you are reminding me of our trip through Scotland. The colours are amazing, we never saw that. The castle certainly has a history and amazing that it is still standing,

Jeanie said...

Oh my! those fall colors are amazing. I can see why it's a beautiful spot to see autumn's finest! The castle looks ineteresting and Ness, too!

NCSue said...

Oh my! What wonderful images. Love the colors.
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/04/a-trip-to-library.html

Joanne said...

Oh so gorgeous! I had no idea Lock Ness was that large.

Anonymous said...

I would love to go there and visit one day! It’s beautiful!

Jenna Schroeder said...

Stunning! I've always wanted to visit, my heritage is Scottish. Would you recommend traveling there in the fall for others?

Rudbekia said...

Very interesting castle.

Granny Sue said...

Wonderful photos! Maybe one day I will get to Scotland.

Rambling Woods said...

I remember standing on the shore with my sister on a trip with my parents. I must’ve been about 11 years old. It was a perfectly misty day where you could almost see the Loch Ness monster. I remember picking up some stones to bring back to my grandfather because he was born in Scotland…

Lowcarb team member said...

Autumn in Scotland looks wonderful.
I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.

I've always wanted to visit Loch Ness, maybe one day I will! We shall see :)

All the best Jan

Life Of 2 Snowbirds said...

Your pictures are gorgeous. I definitely am putting Scotland on my bucket list!

EricaSta said...

Wow... visiting Loch Ness must be fun of course. I would like it too. Nice to see you and your family.

This is a lovely Post indeed. I enjoyed the mood of the lake. Today is comment - day, it`s raining outside and cold ... and I thank you for sharing at
MosaicMonday

Hugs by Heidrun

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What beautiful sights you saw! I love your photographs, they capture the scene perfectly. Back in 1984 I visited Inverness and signed for a tour of Loch Ness including a tour boat of Loch Ness. Your visit reminded how beautiful Scotland is.

Photo Cache said...

What a cool trip! How do you like Cosmos?

Worth a Thousand Words

Jim said...

Very scenic.

Nanda kumar said...

Great trip blog. The nature is splendid

thomas lee said...

Wow!The famous Loch Ness

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Love the castle and all the natural beauty. Cool that you got to see Loch Ness!

Slabs said...

Great images, love the fall and flowers
Thanks so much for participating and sharing at SSPS 306. See you again next week at https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

Joyful said...

It's beautiful. A very famous place because of the Loch Ness monster no doubt. But it could easily be due to it's beauty.

Jocelyn said...

So pretty. Lovely captures.

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

Thank you for showing me this lovely place

Michelle said...

What beautiful views! We are hoping for a family trip to Scotland next year. Thank you for linking up and have a great week.

Little Wandering Wren said...

This highlight tour of Ireland and Scotland looks so good. Despite growing up in England, you have seen so many of the places I have never seen. I loved reading about your visit!
Wren x