Happy month of August to all!
August first was the sesquicentennial- 150th- anniversary of Colorado's statehood, and many Colorado Day celebrations were held throughout the state.
My husband and I decided to celebrate by taking a drive to nearby areas where we enjoy the scenery.
Our first stop was Golden Gate Canyon State Park, one of the 42 Colorado State Parks. Admission was free for all Colorado state parks for Colorado Day.
The park is located in Gilpin and Jefferson counties, around 30 miles west of Denver. This 11,998-acre Front Range Park has 35 miles of hiking trails. It includes facilities such as a visitor center, 156 campsites, stocked fishing ponds, and over 125 picnic sites.
(All photos and photo collages in this post will enlarge for easier viewing if clicked on)
Panorama Point Scenic Overlook in Golden Gate Canyon State Park offers spectacular views of more than 100 miles of Colorado’s Continental Divide year-round.
We enjoyed the views, the cooler temperatures at a higher elevation, and a walk along a trail.
Next, we drove on the Peak to Peak Scenic Highway towards Estes Park.
I blogged about this very scenic drive in this post when there was snow on the Rocky Mountains--quite a different view!
We entered Estes Park — a beautiful town just outside the eastern entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park.
I've blogged about both locations many times, as you can see from labels on my blog sidebar, as we have had many wonderful times in both locations in the thirteen years that we've lived in Colorado.
On this occasion, we went to one of our favorite places to dine in Estes Park--Smokin Dave's Barbecue! My husband and I ordered a double platter meal that comes with two sides and a corn muffin. Needless to say, there was so much delicious food that we both had leftovers to take home <smile>
From Estes Park, we drove a portion of US Route 36 toward our home. It travels through a beautiful portion of St. Vrain Canyon, alongside St Vrain Creek.
It was a wonderful day out and a fun way to celebrate Colorado turning 150 years old as the 38th state of the United States!
I can also be found on
Blogs I link with:
Nature Notes, Home Matters Linky Party, Happiness is Homemade, Monday Morning Blog Club, Senior Salon Pit Stop, Talk About It Tuesday, The Happy Now Tuesday, Happy Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday 2, Wordless Wednesday on Comedy Plus, Wonderful Wednesday, Thankful Thursday, Weekend Traffic Jam Report, Thursday Favorite Things, Skywatch Friday, Weekly Wisdoms, Fantastic Friday, Farmhouse Friday, Crazy Little Lovebirds Friday Link Up, Dare to Share, Saturday Sparks, Saturday Critters, Weekend Reflections










36 comments:
those mountain scenes are spectacular and I enjoyed the wildfowers too. Happy 150th! Enjoy your week ahead. I am joining you at the Monday Morning Blog Club
Colorado is such a beautiful state and it looks like you had a fantastic drive taking in all the scenery. Happy birthday to Colorado!
Colorado is such an amazing place. Visiting your blog is one of my favorite places to visit each week. Happy Birthday Colorado!
Happy August and Happy birthday to Colorado! What a beautiful state!
Oh wow! Those views!! They are just incredible. It sounds like you had a really lovely day out.
Such a beautiful state! Glad you are enjoying so much of it!
Hello Pat,
Great scenic photos, Colorado is a beautiful state.
Hubby and I enjoyed our stay in Estes Park and Smokin Daves was delicious. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.
Pat, you continue to capture Colorado so very well with your camera, and also the food!!!
What a wonderful way to celebrate Colorado’s big milestone! Golden Gate Canyon looks breathtaking, and I love that you caught wildflowers even in the midst of drought. The drive to Estes Park sounds perfect, especially with a hearty meal at Smokin Dave’s to top it off. Happy 150th to Colorado -- such a beautiful state with so much to enjoy!
Happy birthday Colorado! What stunning scenery and lovely flowers. I love the little chipmunk too! I still have fond memories of chipmunks from a childhood visit to California.
Colorado is such a beautiful state. I've been to many places in Colorado and enjoyed it very much.
Oh the food. Both looks so very delicious.
Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.
Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday, Pat. ♥
Colorado is so beautiful. You are one lucky person to be able to see those views daily!
Have a fun week.
All the best.
Debra @ Life Captured
My friend in Louisville has been into the anniversary too, but I think you might have more than aced her on doing a fun activity! And oh, how those photos are telling the story of a beautiful state.
Your photos of Colorado always amaze me with their beauty.
Happy 150th to your beautiful state!
Congratulations to 150. Birthday of Colorado! A wonderful way to show this beautiful nature there.
Thank you for sharing at MosaicMonday
Greetings by Heidrun ❤️
Happy 150th. Beautiful shots of a beautiful state.
Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.
Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥
Un lugar precioso, lleno de lugares por visitar. Me encanta. Besitos
Colorado is one of my favorite states. It has everything, mountains, plains, deserts, big cities, small towns, lots of history and some very nice people.
Every so often when we get tired of living in a deep red state conversation tends toward "where else" and I automatically think of Colorado Springs. Thing is we are deeply embedded here but who knows about the future.
A beautiful birthday tribute!!
Beautiful post.
Great views.
Beautiful
Your photos capture the beauty of the state so well. It sounds like you had a lovely day exploring and enjoying the scenery.
You really captured the beauty of your state!
I keep asking myself why I haven't been to Colorado yet, when everything about it is what I seek on a vacation spot.
Worth a Thousand Words
...Happy Birthday to all of you in the beautiful state of Colorado. I hope that the rain falls gently on you.
Happy Birthday Colorado. You live in a beautiful state and your meal looks delicious. Thank you for linking up.
Happy Birthday to Colorado! Love views of your pretty state.
The flowers are all beautiful. The chipmunk is a cutie.
Wonderful post and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Happy August, Pat, and happy birthday, Colorado! Such a beautiful place to live. :)
So many gorgeous restful views. You did the perfect thing to honor the birthday. :)
Congratulations to Colorado! You captured some gorgeous landscapes, flowers, and critters. My wife and I loved it when we were there, and hope to go back again. Blessings!
I know you've been happy living in Colorado! There is so much to see and it changes from day to day! Love your photos. I hope I can visit again some day!
Hi Pat, one of my features for this week's SSPS! Thanks for sharing with us!
We saw some wonderful mountain scenery on our recent trip to Colorado, but I do miss RMNP and Estes since our family moved to the other side of the state. It's all amazing though~~and of course we had a wonderful time as always.
You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful state and even luckier to live so close to Rocky Mountain NP and the town of Estes! Your Colorado birthday dinner looks delicious!
From start to finish a lovely post.
All the best Jan
Post a Comment