Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History Is Made -- Our 44th President!

photo source

I will be very excited to watch the inauguration ceremony of Barack Obama as the 44th president of the United States today. It is an historical moment in our nation's history that I feel we are all very privileged to witness, no matter what our political views are.

I wish him success, and the fortitude to lead our nation while we are involved in two wars and in the midst of dire economic times. I pray that he will lead our country to the best of his ability, and keep us safe from terrorism.

I also hope he will remain a symbol of what all Americans have always been proud of -- the American dream that anything is be possible, that we all can see our dreams come true if we work hard.

I hope expectations are not so high for him, in our country and the world, that we will ultimately be disappointed. He has much work to do, and much to accomplish in the next four years, but to do that he will need the cooperation of our government, the people of the United States, and World leaders.

As a person who is interested in both history and education, I receive an e-mail newsletter list from an organization called Facing History and Ourselves, which helps students and communities worldwide link the past to moral choices of today.

They recently offered two wonderful videos to watch, where the then Senator Obama and his wife Michelle discuss the importance of teaching and practicing compassion, empathy and tolerance. Wouldn't our world be a better place if we all could embrace those ideals and practice them?

Here is the excerpts from their e-mail, and the links to the videos:

"President-elect Barack Obama spoke to Facing History and Ourselves students and community members about his autobiography, Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance. Watch an excerpt from his remarks from 2006 about the importance of seeing the world from different points of view.

Future first lady Michelle Obama, a member of Facing History’s Advisory Board in Chicago, spoke in 2007 to attendees at a Facing History community event about the need for the global community to truly understand one another. View an excerpt from her remarks."

I hope you have a chance to watch them.

May God bless our nation and our new President!

ETA: The wonderful photo tag above was made by Lora of My Blessed Life , and she welcomes anyone to use it on their blog if they wish. Thanks Lora!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Italy it will be 6.00pm and I really hope to be home in time to see him on tv. Yes, our europeans' expectations are really high on him, especially here in Italy where we always relied on the US Governement for our internal decision, we always supported US war decisions (rightly so or not) and had always a strict alliance with the White House. This man is one I like very much, I'll pray for the rightness of his decisions on war, climate problems, and especially economic aspects.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I pray for our new president, our nation and our out-going president.

We must remember that one man can't create all problems, and that one man can't solve all problems. We must be united in our support.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

AMEN sister. I posted a piece this morning too on our new president. May he guide us all to a better country and world.

Anonymous said...

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on." - Carl Sandburg

I LOVE that quotation, had never seen it. I'd like to invite you to read my reflections on the significance of Obama's taking office, written from the standpoint of a White person who grew up under segregation in Texas. It's Thoughts of Water on the Eve of Obama’s Inauguration.

aliceinparis said...

I'll be watching today. I'm sure there will be lots of tears.
Here's to a healing future!

pammiejo said...

Great post about a country ready for new leadership and a new direction for our country! I too wish him the best. He has a daunting task ahead. I do not envy him at all. PAM

Anonymous said...

Happy TV viewing Pat. Like the UK radio keeps saying -this is history in the making. There are so many world wide hope for him to turn the world around of this recession.

Jojo said...

Just read your post and I am so thankful to be watching the inauguration in the warmth of a climate controlled environment. I had to work today but our firm has 5 locations set up for viewing. We have a lot of work to do in this great nation but no doubt we have elected a great leader and I will be praying for him and for his administration. On this day I am especially proud to be an American.

Looking forward to watching the video tonight.
Thank you for your post.

Strider said...

You have a good attitude my friend. Blessings. Strider

Donna said...

I just finished watching the inauguration on TV... I agree with you - no matter what anyone's political views, this is a very exciting day in our nation's history!

I posted a photo on my blog of where the treadmill ended up - and I know that you and I could both fill up bookcases galore! ha ha

Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

Junie Moon said...

They're having lunch now, so I'm quick reading blogs before I watch the rest of the inauguration festivities. I feel a renewed sense of hope and great excitement for the future of our nation today.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Pat, I watched, and I cried. It was a moment of great healing for so many, despite political differences, and I hope he can steer the Ship of State away from the shoals of party politics. This has got to be a bi-partisan effort to get this country back on track. It's imperative, and I just pray the other leaders hear what the people and the new president are saying to them!

I also hope that the American people get on the bandwagon to help this country because ultimately it's what each and all of us do that matters SO much.

I plan to pray for President Obama, his family, and all of our leaders because the Lord told us, to, and we need to cover all of them with prayer. And we need to ask ourselves what we can do to make things better for everyone.

Do I sound idealistic? I hope so. I think a lot of what is going to heal this country's economics is our own attitudes, and I'm working on mine each and every day.

XO,

Sheila

Rue said...

Hi Pat :)

Although not my choice, I do hope he does a great job and he's got a big one ahead of him. I wish them well in these next four years.

I was privileged to stand outside of Edgar Allen Poe's home in Richmond, but never toured it because it was always closed when we went by. I have always admired his work and now Annie is starting to find an interest in him and his work.

Thank you for the Manicotti recipe! My mom makes a pretty good one, but the shells sound even better than the way I make it :)

hugs,
rue

The Berry's Patch said...

Well said Pat! I do have high hopes for him. He has his worked cut out for him and boy it's a big job. Could you imagine taking over the country in it's current state and having the pressure of changing it in 4 years. I'm stressed out just thinking about it. I'm off to do some yoga. :-)

GMG said...

Have a great Inauguration!
Blogtrotter, waiting for you around Delhi... ;)

Vee said...

No, we must remember that he is a man and not a god. It is an unenviable job and he will need our prayers.

Joanne Kennedy said...

I think it is wonderful that we are a country that can finally say race does not matter. We are all equal and anyone can become anything they long to be.

I pray that he won because he is the best for our country and not just because he could make history because of his race.

I think he can use all the prayers we can offer him.

It will be interesting to see how long it's going to take to see the "change" he has promised.

Hugs,
Joanne

Judy said...

It is a momentous day in history...and I watched the inauguration of the 44th president of the United States this morning. It was a wonderful ceremony...and I will join all of you in praying God's blessing upon America.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

This has been an exciting day! I also pray for President Obama. He needs our prayer. Our world seems so fragile, but our Lord is still in control!

Bo said...

Hi Pat...It has indeed been a memorable & historic day...I pray it is a beginning of America regaining her strength. ;-) Bo

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I enjoyed watching the festivities today, although I was glad I was watching them being nice and cozy in my house!

Willow said...

I watched the inauguration with 40 first graders. I wondered if they really understood what was happening.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Your post is so beautiful, Pat. Really, really. I've followed Barack for many years(not in a creepy stalker way. ;-) I used to do quite a bit of work travel to Chicago) and am confident in his abilities, and hopeful for him and the country I love so much. I also think in all the "hoopla" Joe Biden got lost. He is a workhorse who loves this country and being a part of the political process. When I saw him get sworn in, I felt the pride. What a day in history. Leo will be reading about this is school some day!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Well put.

Kathy said...

I am so happy that we are lving in the USA to see history in the making, I was getting quite emotional watching Mr Obama and his beautiful family and the days events.