Thursday, January 29, 2009

January's Daring Baker Challenge: Tuiles!

This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schme ink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.

Traditionally, tuiles are thin, crisp cookies that are gently molded over a rolling pin or arched form while they are still warm. Once set, their shape resembles the curved French roofing tiles for which they're named.

In the Netherlands this batter was used to bake flat round cookies on December 31 st, representing the past year unfolded. On New Years day, however, the same batter was used but on this day they were presented to well-wishers shaped as cigars and filled with whipped cream, symbolizing the New Year that's about to roll on.

Following is a recipe taken from a book called “The Chocolate Book”, written by female Dutch Master chef Angélique Schmeinck.

Recipe:Yields: 20 small tuiles/6 large tuiles

Preparation time: batter 10 minutes, waiting time 30 minutes, baking time: 5-10 minutes per batch

65 grams / ¼ cup / 2.3 ounces softened butter (not melted but soft)

60 grams / ½ cup / 2.1 ounces sifted confectioner’s sugar1 sachet vanilla sugar (7 grams or substitute with a dash of vanilla extract)

2 large egg whites (slightly whisked with a fork)

65 grams / 1/2 cup / 2.3 ounces sifted all purpose flour

1 table spoon cocoa powder/or food coloring of choice

Butter/spray to grease baking sheet

Oven: 180C / 350F

Using a hand whisk or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle (low speed) and cream butter, sugar and vanilla to a paste. Keep stirring while you gradually add the egg whites. Continue to add the flour in small batches and stir to achieve a homogeneous and smooth batter/paste. Be careful to not over mix.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up. (This batter will keep in the fridge for up to a week, take it out 30 minutes before you plan to use it).

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with either butter/spray and chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. This will help spread the batter more easily if using a stencil/cardboard template such as the butterfly, or other shape. Press the stencil on the baking sheet and use an off sided spatula to spread batter. Leave some room in between your shapes.

If you don’t want to do stencil shapes, you might want to transfer the batter into a piping bag fitted with a small plain tip. Pipe the desired shapes and bake. * This is what I did!

If desired, mix a small part of the batter with the cocoa and a few drops of warm water until evenly colored. Use this colored batter in a paper piping bag and proceed to pipe decorations on the tuiles.

Bake the tuiles in a preheated oven (180C/350F) for about 5-10 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Immediately release from baking sheet and proceed to shape/bend the cookies in the desired shape.

These cookies have to be shaped when still warm, you might want to bake a small amount at a time or maybe put them in the oven to warm them up again. Or: place a baking sheet toward the front of the warm oven, leaving the door half open. The warmth will keep the cookies malleable.

Shape immediately after baking using for instance a rolling pin, a broom handle, cups, cones….
* I used a small round metal tube to roll mine.

To serve I made a low fat chocolate pudding and served them along side, instead of trying to fill the little cookie shells with frosting or whipped cream.

They were light and tasty and in this combination a diet wise dessert. I'll definitely make them again!

If you would like to see wonderful versions of tuiles, made by other members of The Daring Bakers, check the Daring Bakers blogroll. There were three versions of the tuiles recipe that we were allowed to choose from, so some DB's made them with almonds and some made them in a savory version...check them out!

There is also an open forum for general baking discussions here, but you have to be a member of Daring Bakers in order to register to log in for each month's challenge and discussions regarding it.

If you think you are up to taking the monthly challenge instructions are on the blog as to how to join! Don't delay, as there is only a 24 hour time limit to join every month for the next month's challenge.

I hope to see you all doing the February Daring Baker Challenge!

40 comments:

aliceinparis said...

Yum, these are so delicate.

Vee said...

I am always learning something new in the baking world here...had never heard of this type of cookie. The history behind it is very interesting, too.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Not only do these tuiles look delicious, but they have such an interesting history, Pat! I always love your baking challenges and am glad that you share them with us! And there is nothing I love more than chocloate. Yum!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Kathy said...

Oh Pat, these look so good and a healthier choice with the low fat chocolate pudding, hugs, Kathy.

Judy said...

How fun are these 'tuiles'? And I enjoyed learning the story behind them. I went to check out some of the other entries...so many options.

I'm still trying to figure out the concept behind 'daring baker challenge'. Who determines what the next challenge will be...and when you sign up...do you know what dish you are signing up for?

Linda Lou said...

I know I could never make this cookie-I am so baker challenged, they look great, how about dipping them in Nutella!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Judy and all else who might be asking the same question...

When you sign on to be a Daring Baker you are given the opportunity to make a password to view the entire Daring Bakers Forum. Then you sign in at the first of the month to the forum and view the new challenge that will be posted on the forum, along with all the "rules" and the recipe. Sometimes there will be one or more versions, sometimes we have choices which ones we want to make -- and then later,some members will post their preliminary photos of how their challenge product came out on the forum, but all the DB's are not allowed to post to their blog until the decided day, which is usually toward the end of the month. You are allowed to miss twice --after that they can ask you to leave the group.

I'm not sure how the different blog leaders recipe decoders are chose each month --I guess the two Daring Baker head organizers decide on that? Maybe people ask? I have a lot to learn and I'm pretty new at this too!

It's fun because it can really be a challenge, and I've learned a lot doing it the past few months ( this is my 6 attempt) I missed December's Yule Log because we were away in Denver, and I didn't want to make something so elaborate and sweet when I had no one to share it with here.

This link tells the story of how the group began, and on the right side bar it tells you who to contact to join!
http://daringbakersblogroll.blogspot.com/2007/07/welcome.html

I hope you'll join in!

Junie Moon said...

I love your tuiles project, they look yummy and learning the story behind them is great. I've been wanting to try my hand baking this delicate cookie and now feel inspired by your end result. I'll see about joining the Daring Baker challenge as that would be fun.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Well, yours are perfectly cooked tuile! Tres bien! :-)

Mine were AWFUL! The batter was super, super thick. So weird, right?? I followed the recipe (same one you used) precisely. I just posted mine...you'll have to see the mess for yourself. I managed to pretty one up with some smoke and mirrors (or, sorbet and white chocolate, as it were. :-) but it was still thick like a crepe. What size eggs did you use? (Mine were large, and I really can't imagine the change from large to jumbo would have made the batter that much more thin.).

Barb said...

great job they look so good....Barb

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Nice tuile! A delightful combination!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

They're so pretty!

Joanne Kennedy said...

Oh yum! Those look wonderful and I'm sure have a taste of a little bit of heaven. I would dip them in melted chocolate and then sprinkle a few nuts on the chocolate. Oh my!

Hugs,
Joanne

Anonymous said...

Adorable! I love the little two bite sized tuiles you made.

Strider said...

Whoa....those look great!

Anonymous said...

I think you got the chocolate dipping bug, Pat! Yes you have it bad!
Your cookies came out wonderful. They look so nice and light. You know, we will have to stop dunking soon, yes? ;)

Anonymous said...

These tuiles look perfect! Well done Pat! :)

Anonymous said...

They look wonderful Pat! Delicious!

Sue said...

Hi Pat...you used your cannoli tube to shape these didn't you?? I hate to bake things that can break but I bet they are delicious....My daughter has signed up for the February challenge and if she does well I think I may join in in March....

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

These look like so much fun to create. But even more fun to eat, I bet.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat, yummy :D We have similar ones here, crispy thin too for Chinese New Year, they are called love letters. Either folded into a cigar like yours or into a triangle. I've eaten all unfortunately, otherwise..I'll post for you. We have a dinner at my home, so with limited baking skills, I am going to buy some local cakes...wish I could send you some, no better..wish I could eat those for sure. Big hugs and much love, M

Jojo said...

Yours turned out beautifully. I always get discouraged trying to shape cookies while hot. Somehow I start out doing okay but halfway through the cookie sheet the cookies have already hardened. I am impressed!!!

steviewren said...

Your cookies turned out beautifully! I can't imagine having the patience to shape each one. My mouth was watering by the time I read to the end of your post. Yummy!

CookiePie said...

I love your tuiles - they look so delicate and lovely! Perfect for that luscious pudding - yum!

Anonymous said...

Your tuiles look so perfect and paper thin!

Just A Girl said...

I think I could sit down and eat an entire plate of these yummy little treats. They look similar to a mini canoli without the cream.

I see you have a new picture of Leo up, Pat. HE IS SO CUTE!!!
I hope you have a wonderful evening.

xo Cori

Anonymous said...

Oh----those look wonderful!! Then when you combine them with the low-fat pudding--what a dream treat for sure!! Dana

Mmm said...

Well, I know I won't make this but yummm!!!

Tara said...

Pat

The only place I ahve ever seen these cookies is in a Pepperridge farm cookie assortment! I LOVE THEM!!!! How nice to know I can now make them! They look scrumptious and the melted chocolate--divine, dear lady!

:0)
Tara

Tracy said...

I've never made these before...imagining them to be very difficult to accomplish. Thank you for de-mystifying them, Pat! :o) Sooo good...and with a tiny taste of chocolate...mmm...Happy weekend to you! ((HUGS))

Lorrie said...

I've never seen this kind of cookie before--they look so neat. Thanks for telling us the history, I learned something new today!

Jungle Baby said...

that looks SO delicious!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Awesome job!

Paz

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

They do look tasty!

Camille said...

I agree. I will make these again, so easy. They really do lend themselves to a light dessert. Your tuiles came out great! They look like they tasted just as they should, crisp and sweet.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Ummmm these look so good! Great idea to put them with pudding (another of my favorites).

Rhonda

Edie Marie's Attic said...

MMMMMMMM they sound so good! What a wonderful treat to savor!!

Hugs, Sherry

Eat4Fun said...

I keep wanting to type a congrats, but I keep forgetting. It must be from all the coffee I drink. Great looking tuiles! :)

Gina said...

They look like they'd melt in your mouth! yum! :D

Proud Italian Cook said...

At first I thought you were dipping them in Nutella, thenI read pudding, great low calorie idea Pat, and great job!