Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tom Sach's Bronze Collection

The landmarked Lever House office building, located at 390 Park Avenue in New York City, has an open plaza at street level which, along with the lobby, have become popular galleries for a rotation of many different artwork displays.

Presently, the highly acclaimed and sometimes controversial, contemporary New York artist Tom Sachs has his "Bronze Collection" exhibit on display in the Lever House plaza.

Editions will also be on display at Baldwin Gallery, Aspen, Colorado, and Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac, Paris.

His sculptures are large-scale bronzes of foam core renditions of "Hello Kitty," " My Melody," and Miffy. Information about the Bronze Collection from Mr. Sach's website: "For the Lever House installation, Sachs has created his first monumental works in bronze, presenting the familiar icons “Hello Kitty,” “My Melody” (both fictional characters produced by the Japanese company Sanrio in 1974), and the small rabbit, “Miffy” (created by Dutch artist Dick Bruna in 1955).

Working from the original toys, Sachs and his assistants construct enlarged versions using sheets of lightweight foam core and glue guns, which are then cast in bronze and ironically painted white to resemble the white foam core surface.

“Hello, Kitty” and “Miffy” also function as outdoor fountains."

The installation featured a 21-foot high, 8-ton windup sculpture of Hello Kitty, a 10-foot high sculpture of My Melody, a 9-foot high Crying Miffy Fountain, and a 7-foot high Crying Hello Kitty Fountain. When asked in an interview why he choose these images to sculpt Mr. Sach's replied: "They’re like the children of New York. It’s difficult to find a more universal icon whose roots are purely in merchandise."

More details about the exhibit and some background about Mr. Sach can be read in this New York Times article. I found it was another unexpected surprise in Midtown Manhattan.! One never knows what they will find walking around the corner -- maybe even an 8-ton Hello Kitty!

Bookmark and Share

25 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Pat, I actually like these! I think they're fun and whimsical. They also poke fun at an art world that sometimes takes itself far too seriously. Art is not just about the abstract, the contemporary, or the old master. It's about the fun side of life, too, the humorous and quirky and even the downright cute. I don't understand why the critics are so upset, but once upon a time, the so-called art critics (those who can't create, criticize) threw verbal tomatoes at the Impressionists, too! ;-)

From a person who dearly loves fine art, I get quite a kick out of these. Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Arlene Delloro said...

I loved seeing your post this morning. It's like an extended tour of Manhattan, a place I used to frequent weekly. Not so much since 9/11. I defy anyone to find a little girl between the ages of 3 and 12 who doesn't love Hello! Kitty. What a fun exhibit! Thank you, Pat.

aliceinparis said...

What fun:))
Cheers, Shelagh

Judy said...

Well...he has a point. His art does seem a good representation of today's children...and it is rather quirky, sweet!

Anonymous said...

Pat, these are amazing works of art and I can't believe how large they are. Painting them white is surprising to me but I can understand the reasoning behind it. This is why New York City is the most interesting place on the planet. Culture of every kind. I love N.Y.C.

I love the pictures of your sweet baby grandson. He looks like he slept through Christmas. Boy, he is so cute. Lucky, lucky you.

Hugs...Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Those are very unique pieces...I love his reasoning behind making them with more of a "commercial" theme in mind.

I enjoy seeing different pieces like that....it's always fascinating to see what other people consider to be great art!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I am so frightened by the thought of encountering a 21-foot tall Hello Kitty, that I have no words. :-)

Well, I'm at 43rd & Lex (work) and now you've got me sooooo curious (curious...like a cat? ;-). I have to see this for myself!

meggie said...

Thankyou so much for visiting my blog, & leaving me a comment. I had no idea I was a 'blog of note'. what a surprise.

Those huge scupltures are quite unexpected subject material!

Strider said...

Did you ever see the movie "Kate and Leopold?" If you did, is that the same bridge in your picture? Just wondering.

Camille said...

I love Hello Kitty! How fun!

I have finally(!) posted the recipe for eggplant parm...let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Camille

Willow said...

My adult daughter LOVES Hello Kitty. I'll be sure she sees your photos. I think it's so much fun to see these in black suit New York!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Nice comment by Mr. Sach...I can see why he is so controversial.

Unknown said...

I remember so well when my daughter was 'in to' all the Hello Kitty stuff!

You never know what you'll find do you? Thanks for sharing this with us!

Diane

Tara said...

Pat

Whenever you walk in Manhattan, it is an adventure unlike any other!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

I like Miss Kitty too. Very interesting collection. I wonder what they looked like bronze?

Rhonda

Lorrie said...

All I can say is WOW that's some Hello Kitty! Only in New York!

In my last comment I told you that I have a sister that I visit in NY--she lives in the town of New City which is north of NYC in Rockland County, so close to Manhattan.

steviewren said...

Interesting choice of subjects to cast in bronze. I wonder what generations will think of us when they dig these up in the future. I always loved Hello Kitty products.

Sue said...

Hi Pat....I sent a link to your blog to my daughter who spends half her time in New York...she never should have moved out to Jersey, she hasn't been the same since...I know she'll love your blog and all the great pictures you post....As for those AYCE places...we are dieting too...we started the day after we went there!!

Unknown said...

My daughter will be happy to know Hello Kitty is there :D

LAKSA!! Pat, that is Malaysian all time favourite for sure. They are many different versions of it, the curry laksa, asam laksa (sourish with mackerel soup) and johor laksa (johor is a state down south, neighbouring Singapore). BUT, the best laksa is made by my mom with fresh coconut milk, when she cooks it the next time..I'll take the photos for your :D

let me know how your laksa turn out :D

Joanne Kennedy said...

I like Hello Kitty! So I like these big ones! I think they are cute.

Leave it to NY to have them though. You can find anything and everything in NY.

Good for you for going to the gym! I still need to get my rear end over there and sign up.

If you ever need a pick me up or cheering on email me. I'm here for you! Don't forget to check in next Tues to let me know how you are doing.

Hugs,
Joanne

Tracy said...

tee-hee...those are sooo cute! As I love Hello Kitty (never to old to love Kitty! ;o) this post is great fun. Thanks for throwing a little whimsy our way this week, Pat. :o) ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Very cute! One of the fun things about the city is that you find all kinds of unexpected things in unexpected places.

I love your latest banner!

Paz

Vee said...

Hmmm, Hello Kitty, indeed, who could've imagined? Very whimsical and fun...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm certain those children in NYC love finding that huge Hello Kitty! My daughter was a huge fan of HC---I still am! Dana

Donna said...

Interesting, and kinda fun! It amazes me what you find in NY.

Hugs,
Donna